Downtown Projects

Longhorn Al

• 2 weeks later...

Austin-based firm Urbanspace Real Estate + Interiors is planning a 55-story condo tower, called the Austin Modern Residences, at 610 Davis Street.

55-story condo tower moving forward in Austin's Rainey Street district

A 55-story downtown Austin condo tower that has been in the works for several years is moving forward with a new name and plans for development.

Austin-based firm Urbanspace Real Estate + Interiors has named the project in the Rainey Street district the Austin Modern Residences. The property at 610 Davis Street will have 345 market-rate units and 20 units that will be offered to people earning 80% of median family income in the Austin metro area, which is $97,600 for a family of four, according to data from the city of Austin's Neighborhood Housing and Community Development Office.

The market-rate units will start in the $400,000 range for a one-bedroom unit. Three-bedroom units will be priced at $1.6 million, with prices up to $5 million.

Sales for the Modern will begin in the first quarter of 2022, with groundbreaking scheduled for late March 2023.

The Rainey Street district is a prime example of the growth both in downtown Austin and along the I-35 corridor.

The Austin City Council rezoned the area, which is along Lady Bird Lake, for high density development in the mid 2000s.Since then, it has transformed into its own district, with more than 2,300 new condos and apartments either built or under construction. Several more residential and mixed-use projects are planned. Those include a residential tower on Rainey Street, a high-rise mixed-use project proposed at Cesar Chavez and Red River streets, along Waller Creek, and a tower planned at Rainey and River streets called the River Street Residences.

New hotels have also been built, including the Hotel Van Zandt and the Fairmont across East Cesar Chavez Street, as well as scores of new bars and restaurants.

The new information about the Modern comes after the Austin City Council approved a density bonus for the project. It was previously planned to be 51 stories.

"The Rainey District now has the best of both worlds, the connectivity to nature, the vibrant nightlife and culinary scene and the walkability to the business district," said Urbanspace CEO Kevin Burns. "Rainey is now going through the next phase of evolution with developments such as the Modern Austin Residences and 44 East Ave, which materially enhance the neighborhood's fabric while helping city-wide issues by bringing additional housing to the urban core.”

The project will mean the end to Container Bar, a popular Rainey Street venue built from recycled metal shipping containers that is located on the project site.

Bridget Dunlap, who owns the Container Bar as well as nearby Clive Bar and Lustre Pearl, will develop an entertainment venue in the basement of the new building.

"Container Bar had a good run, but I'm excited for what's next," Dunlap said. "This next concept will fill a niche that Austin is missing in the music/hospitality scene, and I'm glad to have the opportunity to stay in our spot."

Additionally, Urbanspace will open a business on the ground floor similar to its first hospitality venture, Codependent Cocktails + Coffee, located on the ground floor of the Independent at  301 West Ave.

On 6/17/2021 at 4:20 PM, Armybrat said:

Correct on the Capitol View Corridor restrictions dictating the angle.

yes, not much in the way of interesting crown tops in Austin’s high rises. The Frost Bank, the Indeed, the Norwood, and marginally the Independent (only because of the nighttime lighting) are not bad. The rest are pretty mundane boxes.

The Google “Sail” building will be cool though.

I love the Austonian. Reminds me of the Eye of Sauron. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, 3adays said:

image.jpeg

Anybody on here an architect?  I know we have plenty of lawyers.  But there is something about that building that is so shitty to me.  I know it's different and I wanna like it, but it just seems to suck at every turn.  

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Anybody on here an architect?  I know we have plenty of lawyers.  But there is something about that building that is so shitty to me.  I know it's different and I wanna like it, but it just seems to suck at every turn.  

@Longhorn_Fan68is an architect. But, yeah, that building sucks. Not only is the parking podium completely ridiculous, the way that it turns its back on the rest of downtown is just so blatantly advertised and shitty. Fortunately, I think another tower is planned on that block and will hide that part, which I think they knew would eventually happen. In the meantime, that building is content to show its ass.

Also, OU sucks.

35 minutes ago, Lobo said:

it's a me!

24 minutes ago, bolverk said:

@Longhorn_Fan68is an architect. But, yeah, that building sucks. Not only is the parking podium completely ridiculous, the way that it turns its back on the rest of downtown is just so blatantly advertised and shitty. Fortunately, I think another tower is planned on that block and will hide that part, which I think they knew would eventually happen. In the meantime, that building is content to show its ass.

Also, OU sucks.

yeah, it's apparent that the design of the building took into account that the facade we are seeing is temporary and will be obscured by another building - at least we can hope

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 10:31 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Cross-posting this

I’ve heard this rumor from multiple people, both from a neighborhood email list, and from some people from the neighborhood I was talking to after voting this morning.

The rumor is that the Randall’s at 38th and Shoal Creek is going to be torn down and replaced by a large apartment complex.    I don’t like their prices, but i usually stopped by a few times of week to get stuff for my kid or us, and I always thought an H-E-B would just kill it there.  Even so, they always seemed busy enough.   

That would be such an Austin thing to do - replace a neighborhood grocery with apartments.  Because, you know, we need more traffic on 38th, Exposition, North Lamar, Shoal Creek, Mopac, etc. as people have to drive a few more miles to get to a grocery store.  

Randall’s at 38th and Shoal Creek/ Kerberos is officially closing. Big ole banner on the facade of the store reads : LIQUIDATION SALE! STORE CLOSING!

I have the sads. 

looks like the condo rumor is true. 

That's a lotta Randall's closings in the last few years (Lake Austin, William Canon, and now 38th).  And we all know Exposition is coming soon.  Maybe Bee Caves Road survives, or a time.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That's a lotta Randall's closings in the last few years (Lake Austin, William Canon, and now 38th).  And we all know Exposition is coming soon.  Maybe Bee Caves Road survives, or a time.  

Yep.  In the grocery store biz, you need to have a critical mass relative to distribution centers and area management.  I don't see Tom Thumb (Dallas) or Randall's (Houston) going away, but it will be interesting to see if they stay in Austin.  Albertson's (now owned by the parent company, Safeway) pulled out of the market a long time ago when they got below that critical mass and (apparently) realized that they couldn't compete with HEB.  Add Wal-Mart and others to the current equation and it gets complicated for them.

On 9/18/2021 at 4:06 PM, Somnio said:

The soon to be tallest building in the city beginning to make it's mark on the skyline.

It will be 65 stories, and 876 feet when completed.

Screenshot_20210918-134107_Brave.jpg

Wait, what? How did I miss this? 

Won't that make it the tallest building in Texas? 

6th tallest looks like - I was thinking the high water mark was 800 ft for some reason - actually 1000.

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Wait, what? How did I miss this? 

Won't that make it the tallest building in Texas? 

6th tallest looks like - I was thinking the high water mark was 800 ft for some reason - actually 1000.

A ”super tall” project at Red River and Cesar Chavez is the works to be over 1,000 feet which would be the tallest in Texas. 

https://austin.towers.net/texas-tallest-tower-could-break-ground-on-waller-creek-in-2022/

10 minutes ago, yoladu said:

A ”super tall” project at Red River and Cesar Chavez is the works to be over 1,000 feet which would be the tallest in Texas. 

https://austin.towers.net/texas-tallest-tower-could-break-ground-on-waller-creek-in-2022/

1416' roof level??? Holy fuck. That would be one of the 5 tallest buildings in America. That seems a little gaudy. 

Oh okay I see - that's listing elevation not height from ground level. 

Edited by ztejas

15 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Updated: https://austin.towers.net/a-teaser-for-texas-tallest-tower-arrives-in-this-downtown-austin-parking-lot/?pro=caitlyn@towers.net

1 hour ago, MAUFRAIS said:

I’ve heard it’s the hospital expanding.

Not from what I’ve heard, and the article says…

Kin Properties, plans to redevelop the property into a mixed-use development, which will include residential areas

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/central-austin-randalls-store-closing-company-looks-to-open-new-locations/

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Yep.  In the grocery store biz, you need to have a critical mass relative to distribution centers and area management.  I don't see Tom Thumb (Dallas) or Randall's (Houston) going away, but it will be interesting to see if they stay in Austin.  Albertson's (now owned by the parent company, Safeway) pulled out of the market a long time ago when they got below that critical mass and (apparently) realized that they couldn't compete with HEB.  Add Wal-Mart and others to the current equation and it gets complicated for them.

I count 14 Randall’s in the Austin metro. 13 after this one closes.

1 each in Georgetown, Roundrock, Leander, Cedar Park, Lakeway, and West Lake; 7 in Austin at Ben White/Manchaca, Brodie/Slaughter, Exposition/Westover, Balconies/Mopac, Mesa/Spicewood Springs, Research/Braker, and Steiner/620

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

I count 14 Randall’s in the Austin metro. 13 after this one closes.

1 each in Georgetown, Roundrock, Leander, Cedar Park, Lakeway, and West Lake; 7 in Austin at Ben White/Manchaca, Brodie/Slaughter, Exposition/Westover, Balconies/Mopac, Mesa/Spicewood Springs, Research/Braker, and Steiner/620

Yep.  I'm glad that they are there.  Great places to shop when you don't want to be around a crowd!  We shall see how that all shakes out.

On 9/15/2021 at 9:57 AM, Somnio said:

E_Gf3C7XsAMpOKY.jpeg

51475942856_8b4011c192_k.jpg

i can't decide it the Google Building is elegant or a clunky mess. - It is massive.

it certainly is cool from certain angles and how you get glimpses of the curve from different vantage points - it really catches the eye.

but the view, from say the 1st street bridge.. yeesh.

Edited by yoladu

I couldn't get behind the Google building in the renderings, or for quite a while as it was going up.  Now that it's almost completed, I think it's easily my favorite in Austin.  Truly an iconic, signature building, just as the Frost Tower was for years.  love the view from 1st St Bridge, with the terraced face with all the trees on the landings.

I like how it looks from down on the hike-n-bike trail as you approach with the rising undulation from the East.  And it jumps out immediately when I commute in from South Mopac or South Lamar across the river.  I am very pleased.  With the indeed tower and a few others, our skyline is finally getting more character.  Not gonna win any prizes but I think very respectable and noteworthy among America's larger cities.  We are still #11 after all.  The 'second skyline' on Rainey Street is another animal that I'm starting to really dig.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The 'second skyline' on Rainey Street is another animal that I'm starting to really dig.

Speaking of Rainey... 44 East Avenue has topped out. And all units completely sold! 49 floors.

https://austin.towers.net/44-east-avenue-tops-out-49-floors-of-condos-in-the-rainey-street-district/?pro=caitlyn@towers.net

homepage-44_East_Ave-exterior-1000x1024-1.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Sorry...don't know how to host/post vids here, but this is a pretty cool vid of that building as it topped out a couple weeks ago.  Buddy of mine shot this:  

https://i.imgur.com/HCUD8if.mp4

There's just no fucking way I could ever be a crane operator. Your buddy is a bigger man than me. That said, cool video.

6 minutes ago, Somnio said:

It's not a bad sign either.

Site prep has begun, and supposedly a hotel has signed on.

It is set to break ground in January.

It will be the tallest in Texas at 1022'

Glass mock up on site.

ruyfcT2h.jpg

C3Azn7u.png

GJdo67U.png

You may as well post your source:  

https://austin.towers.net/a-teaser-for-texas-tallest-tower-arrives-in-this-downtown-austin-parking-lot/?pro=caitlyn@towers.net

• 4 weeks later...

What's going up on the NW corner of Rio Grande & West 5th Street?  They were building the crane that's gonna build the crane, so must be big.  Damn, I thought the Centric was a tight footprint...gonna be a squeeze.  

19 hours ago, Lobo said:

What's going up on the NW corner of Rio Grande & West 5th Street?  They were building the crane that's gonna build the crane, so must be big.  Damn, I thought the Centric was a tight footprint...gonna be a squeeze.  

pretty sure that site is the capitol view corridor. it cant be that tall/big. Can't be more than a few stories.

Looking at the sight lines, it's on the cusp of it.  But damn if that fucking crane ain't Thornton Mellon "big & tall" size.  I'll pull the plat again, you're probably right.  But the mast is already a few stories about the support collar and going strong.  No cab up there yet but could be by later today or tomorrow.  

On 9/30/2021 at 12:40 AM, Updawg said:

Any idea what becomes of the one on s mopac?

I'll be curious to see as well. There are already 3 HEBs in the vicinity and a Whole Foods across the street and it's way too big for something like a Trader Joe's or Aldi. Pretty much every big box store already has a location somewhere down there, and something like an Ashley Homestore or some shit isn't really the kind of anchor tenant you need for a shopping center like that. Maybe they'll just bulldoze that whole center and make it mixed use with office space and/or a hotel or something like the Garza Ranch development across Mopac.

^

Yep.  It's going to be razed and converted to low-rise office/light industrial.  There's nothing else that can sustain itself there. Most of that strip center is on its way out anyway.  P. Terry's and Starbuck's account for half of its traffic alone.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

^

Yep.  It's going to be razed and converted to low-rise office/light industrial.  There's nothing else that can sustain itself there. Most of that strip center is on its way out anyway.  P. Terry's and Starbuck's account for half of its traffic alone.  

They better not knock down that P. Terry's! Not sure where I'd go if they did.

no, those pad sites will stay, as will the bank, and the double-sided strip center with all end-caps (coffee, liquor store, pizza joint, nail salon, etc).  But the Randall's will be razed, rezoned, and done to office/light industrial.  Only issues are redoing the parking space count/impervious cover, the collection pools, and the egress/ingress.  Project is already helped long by that massive parking lot behind Randall's which almost gets the project uplifted anyway.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

no, those pad sites will stay, as will the bank, and the double-sided strip center with all end-caps (coffee, liquor store, pizza joint, nail salon, etc).  But the Randall's will be razed, rezoned, and done to office/light industrial.  Only issues are redoing the parking space count/impervious cover, the collection pools, and the egress/ingress.  Project is already helped long by that massive parking lot behind Randall's which almost gets the project uplifted anyway.

And that's fair.

Yeah, between that HEB, the Whole Foods, Costco, Wal-Mart, and Target, that area ain't exactly a food desert.  Randall's won't be missed, even by their most loyal patrons, a year from now.

Do not be surprised if an ALDI or Trader Joe's make their way into nearby Sunset Valley/Garza Ranch area in the next 24 months.  But don't tell anybody I said so, or that I was already having cocktails on Tuesday at 5:00p.  

Edited by Lobo