Downtown Projects

Longhorn Al

14 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

This thread does not inspire confidence in the City of Austin's ability to complete a multi-billion dollar transportation system.  They can't even get a miniature train to work in Zilker Park.  Read the whole thread for the play-by-play of this failed project.

that was phenomenal, thank you. 

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Nathan Bernier turned that Twitter thread into an article, just ridiculous how this whole thing has been over complicated and screwed up -- remember that the trains ran just fine over 60 years ago:

A black and white photo of the original Zilker Eagle minitrain. A man with a conductor's hat drives the locomotive. Three cars behind are filled with children and parents. The Texas State Capitol dome can be seen in the distance.

https://www.kut.org/austin/2023-01-24/what-happened-to-the-zilker-park-mini-train

Holy shit what an epic series of fuckups. Kinda sounds like they are basically back at square one, having already spent like $400k on a train that doesn't work.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/24/2023 at 5:07 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

This thread does not inspire confidence in the City of Austin's ability to complete a multi-billion dollar transportation system.  They can't even get a miniature train to work in Zilker Park.  Read the whole thread for the play-by-play of this failed project.

Total shit show. Only counterpoint is that the article makes it clear that nobody at any level understood the complexities of that project. They had absolutely zero experience in the area, had never been involved in planning, estimating costs, or operation. And it seems like there really aren’t many people in the country that do.

That’s quite a bit different than a full sized transportation system, which has been scoped and dissected over and over for decades, and there are hundreds of other cities/companies that can be used as guidance at each step of the way. 

18 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Total shit show. Only counterpoint is that the article makes it clear that nobody at any level understood the complexities of that project. They had absolutely zero experience in the area, had never been involved in planning, estimating costs, or operation. And it seems like there really aren’t many people in the country that do.

That’s quite a bit different than a full sized transportation system, which has been scoped and dissected over and over for decades, and there are hundreds of other cities/companies that can be used as guidance at each step of the way. 

The Houston Ship Channel bridge, the Boston Big Dig, and the California Bullet Train all say "hold my beer!"

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the Big Dig still holds the record for the highest cost overruns (as a percentage of original cost) of any civil project in U.S. history.

I realize it was hard for the city to find experience operators to run a mini train, but for the fact that there are literally thousands of miniature trains around the country.  I can think of a half dozen in/around Chicago/Wisconsin Dells.  Every decent sized city in North America has 1 or 2 of those kiddie amusement parks and the vast majority all have little trains at them.  

Two projects in Austin that still crack me up were the central library being delayed 9 months because nobody could interpret the City's of Code regarding the sprinkler systems/fire detection.  Even though the city's code experts were a block away from the site the whole time.  And the Waller Creek tunnel rebar mistake.  The GC walking the tunnel basically thought, "if it's just to walk through, no need for expensive rebar."  Meanwhile, nobody told him they have't diverted the millions of gallons of water there through there yet.  Fucking priceless.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 9:18 AM, Armybrat said:

What, 6x?

Builders are going gangbusters on that massive skyscraper. 874’ with 65 floors ….

Cool video btw.  You're right, they were moving at a blistering pace.  But they've really, really slowed down even for a cap and finish set of steps.  But yeah, kind of an original problem to have in Austin considering the size.  Gotta remind you Brat of when they built out the Montauk in Chicago for your 30th birthday ;) 

Edited by YGIFS

Ha^    They had a small crew there a couple weeks ago.  But they were just hanging new tarps and securing them and some shit on the roof.  Presumably to stay "in safety code."  And maybe it's just the way the sunlight hits the buildings in scientology rome on west campus, but I swear the paint looked different /aGodnottheGod

Some folks tried really hard to help speed up their demise from that told me, it was gonna work.  But one thing that church has is fucking cash.  So wouldn't be surprised if the project is resurrected.  Although I think David Miscavige is still technically missing.  I'm not saying it's connected, but the Goodall Wooten did get a mysterious inquiry with soft money down, into a ground lease around the same time this "refresh" to the building up the Drag started.  For a sleepy little college town once upon a time, the Drag has had some interesting real estate stories over the decades.  

On 2/24/2023 at 12:10 AM, Mittens said:

Anyone have info on the ampitheater going in at the Long Center?  Was down there tonight and it looks like they're 3d printing it.

Marfa-inspired, 3D-printed amphitheater coming to Long Center

A piece of Marfa is coming to Austin, in time for South by Southwest, in the form of an amphitheater inspired by Austin hotelier Liz Lambert’s latest vision of El Cosmico, her nomadic hotel, campground and attraction in Marfa.

The project is being built as a partnership among Lambert, architecture firm Bjarke Ingels Group and Icon, which is an Austin-based, 3D-printing construction company. The project at the Long Center for the Performing Arts is considered a celebration of an upcoming project the groups will be building in Marfa ― the "New El Cosmico," a new rendition of Lambert's El Cosmico project in the art-centric town of Marfa. Both projects are designed with 3D-printing technology in mind and will be printed by Icon.

The 3D-printed performance pavilion stage will make its debut at SXSW this year and will be the location where Icon plans to host a special event with live music, food trucks and refreshments 3:30 p.m. March 15. Icon said the amphitheater, which is a single sculptural piece designed to serve as a landmark and gathering space, is a gift to the city and the Long Center. It will take two weeks to print.

image.png.b75265a6dd594e73f9fa640d10360728.png

image.png.a6188d7187a1b804a2738b23cf28561b.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Technically, twice given EMT readings which aren't official for coroner purposes.  Brought back to life in November of 2004.  Went back to living in that same hotel and died for good February in 2005.   Some years later, I met a musician  who my friend played drums for, who wrote a song, and then an album, about living and dying in an Extended Stay America.  In a bizarre twist of fate, he had the same initials as my father.  

Anyway, Daltxhorn may understand this.  Finally toured the Hyatt Centric last week.  We originally were joined to it when it was gonna be condos but the developer sold out to a denver hotel group who took the Hyatt flag.  For the best, because you can't take three steps without being up against glass and I hate man-made heights.  I lasted about 7 minutes before I had to excuse myself for a phone call 'cause I thought I was gonna piss myself.  I mean, I knew it'd be narrow...I was there when NP drew it up, but holy shit.  It's a 30+  story walk-in closet made of glass.  They ended up cheating, no judgement, and took out a contract with the Omni hotel to use part of their garage for valet.  

Same group is gonna be doing something cool though on 900 block of congress later this year once they get variance approved.  Site is coming out of Prosperity bank workout and will be a nice addition to the "adult" end of Congress Avenue.  Maybe a permanent drag show, who knows?  

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Bouldin Creek Neighborhood Association exploding in 3,2,1...

Hotel Rezoning Could Bring New Height to Austin’s South Central Waterfront

507s1_view_2.jpg

https://austin.towers.net/hotel-rezoning-could-bring-new-height-to-the-south-central-waterfront/?pro=caitlyn@towers.net

Taller than the W Hotel

26 feet shorter than Frost Bank Tower.

Edited by yoladu

On 3/10/2023 at 2:17 PM, YGIFS said:

Finally toured the Hyatt Centric last week.  We originally were joined to it when it was gonna be condos but the developer sold out to a denver hotel group who took the Hyatt flag.  For the best, because you can't take three steps without being up against glass and I hate man-made heights.  I lasted about 7 minutes before I had to excuse myself for a phone call 'cause I thought I was gonna piss myself.  I mean, I knew it'd be narrow...I was there when NP drew it up, but holy shit.  It's a 30+  story walk-in closet made of glass.  They ended up cheating, no judgement, and took out a contract with the Omni hotel to use part of their garage for valet.  

Same group is gonna be doing something cool though on 900 block of congress later this year once they get variance approved.  Site is coming out of Prosperity bank workout and will be a nice addition to the "adult" end of Congress Avenue.  Maybe a permanent drag show, who knows?  

Did you get to see this outdoor lounge that overlooks Congress Avenue? 
Looks like it might be a good place to hang out on a nice evening.

E5C36BA1-3993-4C9E-ADBB-24DF3692DC59.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 2:17 PM, YGIFS said:

Well I was obviously wrong.  somebody torched it instead.  It's being called arson so insurance companies don't have to pay out.  But it was that fucking owner and council that let is slide.  This is gonna be a shitshow.  Anyway, glad nobody was hurt.

• Hook 'Em 1

The D.A. literally wound him up while he was high out of his mind to say that.  If it's being called arson, it's one thing.  If it's what it really was, it's another.  Traveler's Insurance has their own indepdenent investigation ongoing.  The owner is gonna be in deep shit.  I'll report back when the neighbor can speak publicly or I start drinking again.  Could go either way ;)

11 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The D.A. literally wound him up while he was high out of his mind to say that.  If it's being called arson, it's one thing.  If it's what it really was, it's another.  Traveler's Insurance has their own indepdenent investigation ongoing.  The owner is gonna be in deep shit.  I'll report back when the neighbor can speak publicly or I start drinking again.  Could go either way ;)

Good luck, bud!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

bummer.

Plans for Austin’s 80-Story Tower Cut in Half

It was supposed to be the State of Texas’s tallest building. Wilson Capital’s plans for Wilson Tower called for 80 stories. The company still plans to build its apartment tower, but a scaled back version; 45 stories.

https://www.connectcre.com/stories/plans-for-austins-80-story-tower-cut-in-half/

Edited by yoladu