Downtown Projects

Longhorn Al

3 hours ago, yoladu said:

bummer.

Plans for Austin’s 80-Story Tower Cut in Half

It was supposed to be the State of Texas’s tallest building. Wilson Capital’s plans for Wilson Tower called for 80 stories. The company still plans to build its apartment tower, but a scaled back version; 45 stories.

https://www.connectcre.com/stories/plans-for-austins-80-story-tower-cut-in-half/

Isn't the project on red River and Cesar Chavez supposed to be the tallest building in Texas?

18 hours ago, ztejas said:

Isn't the project on red River and Cesar Chavez supposed to be the tallest building in Texas?

yes.. definitely misleading..

The Waterline (which is getting built) is designed to be 1022 feet.

The tallest building in Texas currently is in Houston :  JPMorgan Chase Tower 1,002 feet 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Did not realize a huge chunk of the old Capital Complex was being bought up by Alexandria REIT.  Curious.  

Old news?

Teacher Retirement System Site Sells in Downtown Austin’s Innovation District

https://austin.towers.net/teacher-retirement-system-site-sells-in-downtown-austins-innovation-district/?pro=caitlyn@towers.net

• 3 weeks later...

@Armybrat

On 2/24/2023 at 12:10 AM, Mittens said:

Anyone have info on the ampitheater going in at the Long Center?  Was down there tonight and it looks like they're 3d printing it.

On 3/9/2023 at 11:24 AM, Mittens said:

Marfa-inspired, 3D-printed amphitheater coming to Long Center

A piece of Marfa is coming to Austin, in time for South by Southwest, in the form of an amphitheater inspired by Austin hotelier Liz Lambert’s latest vision of El Cosmico, her nomadic hotel, campground and attraction in Marfa.

The project is being built as a partnership among Lambert, architecture firm Bjarke Ingels Group and Icon, which is an Austin-based, 3D-printing construction company. The project at the Long Center for the Performing Arts is considered a celebration of an upcoming project the groups will be building in Marfa ― the "New El Cosmico," a new rendition of Lambert's El Cosmico project in the art-centric town of Marfa. Both projects are designed with 3D-printing technology in mind and will be printed by Icon.

The 3D-printed performance pavilion stage will make its debut at SXSW this year and will be the location where Icon plans to host a special event with live music, food trucks and refreshments 3:30 p.m. March 15. Icon said the amphitheater, which is a single sculptural piece designed to serve as a landmark and gathering space, is a gift to the city and the Long Center. It will take two weeks to print.

image.png.b75265a6dd594e73f9fa640d10360728.png

image.png.a6188d7187a1b804a2738b23cf28561b.png

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can I get an update on the Scientology building? Every time I drive by it I get annoyed.

Is the Texas theater/eckerds part of the same property?

That areas getting a little better with the foxtrot thing going in, but still a lot of investor blight making it look like shit.

I need to ask my buddy loosely involved with that groundlease.  They had gotten rather close to a kibosh on them at the outset of Covid that I think I mentioned like 10 pages and 2 handles ago.  Basically terminating the lease due to lack of upkeep.  And the church was ready to leave, but then suddenly got religion and cash.  His theory at the time was it had something to do with Miscavige (sp?) trying to find places to park money in real assets he could then sublet as he went into hiding or some shit.  I dunno with those fucking people.  But yeah, renovation moving along at snail's pace and they waived TI's other than just mandatory utility upgrades which was also curious.  I believe the theater and drug store are same owners but considered different tracts for variance and NNN purposes.  But yeah to your point, those three blocks just all of a sudden went and got all grows up.  

And that was the quiet part of the drag.  It's the middle to northern part that is starting to get real empty.  Gonna be a lot more eyesores before it turns back up.  

I saw DMX on that stage there once.

Oh wait, I meant BMX

The woodwork and 3-d printing actually came out really cool.  The top canvas though reminds me of that old SNL sketch where Mary Gross was doing aerobics on the giant extended condom.  I gotta find that video.

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Mittens said:

Chris Sherman's a good follow.

That Google sail building doesn't look 1 bit different than it did a year ago.  From a distance it looks like no interior work, nothing on the decks.  Any idea when it opens for business?

I've been wondering the same thing. Is Google still planning to occupy it? If not, there's about to be a ton of sublease office space on that market now that Meta isn't going to occupy the space they leased at 6G. It will take years to lease it all up plus the Republic and Waterline unless a user takes a big chunk for a HQ or something.

9 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Lots of stuff going vertical out that way.  Who knew that there would be tons of multi-family and light industrial/office all of the way to Lockhart?

Read an article that said the Texas 130 corridor from Georgetown to Lockhart willhave 24 million square feet of such projects in the next decade or so.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/16/2023 at 7:48 AM, Armybrat said:

Read an article that said the Texas 130 corridor from Georgetown to Lockhart willhave 24 million square feet of such projects in the next decade or so.

That sounds about right.  My office is SE near Creedmoor and there's a significant amount of activity down here as well.  We're actively looking for 15-25 acres in that area for our next office.  @Armybrat let me know when you're ready to sell!

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

That sounds about right.  My office is SE near Creedmoor and there's a significant amount of activity down here as well.  We're actively looking for 15-25 acres in that area for our next office.  @Armybrat let me know when you're ready to sell!

That is Infinity Park going up next to us on our west side.
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/11708-McAngus-Rd-Del-Valle-TX/24462592/

Our neighbor on the north side has his 49+ acres already listed:

https://texas.primeranchland.com/idx/details/homes/c007/5990843/Del-Valle-Texas-TBD-Mc-Angus-RD

on his north side the apartment complex is already up and being finished out.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

That is Infinity Park going up next to us on our west side.
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/11708-McAngus-Rd-Del-Valle-TX/24462592/

Our neighbor on the north side has his 49+ acres already listed:

https://texas.primeranchland.com/idx/details/homes/c007/5990843/Del-Valle-Texas-TBD-Mc-Angus-RD

on his north side the apartment complex is already up and being finished out.

That whole area is really taking off.  It's been fun to watch it grow.  I'll be curious to see if your neighbor gets that amount.  We're seeing most dirt in the $4-6/SF range right now, and he's just a tad over that window.  You're sitting on a gold mine with your property!  

1 hour ago, Spaulding Smails said:

That whole area is really taking off.  It's been fun to watch it grow.  I'll be curious to see if your neighbor gets that amount.  We're seeing most dirt in the $4-6/SF range right now, and he's just a tad over that window.  You're sitting on a gold mine with your property!  

Neighbor already had a buyer who was going to purchase it close to the original $15,000,000 asking price (buyer offered $6.70/sq.ft. and was accepted), but then backed out of the deal when Abbott & some legislators started yapping about passing a law against sale of properties to the four countries on their bad list (Russia, China, North Korea, Iran).

15 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Neighbor already had a buyer who was going to purchase it close to the original $15,000,000 asking price (buyer offered $6.70/sq.ft. and was accepted), but then backed out of the deal when Abbott & some legislators started yapping about passing a law against sale of properties to the four countries on their bad list (Russia, China, North Korea, Iran).

So Kim Jong Un was interested in getting into the Austin real estate game?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Armybrat said:

What's the physical/environmental status of the $6/foot land like out that way?  

32 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

What's the physical/environmental status of the $6/foot land like out that way?  

We raise hay and fire ants.

My place is under the airport noise “umbrella”, so no housing development permitted…Just the agriculture and industrial.

The listed 49 acres adjacent to my north side has 13 acres not covered by the noise zoning, so residential development is ok on that part. Large apartment complex is being finished on the parcel on his north side (Ross Road).

There is some flood plain designation north of me, but not on my property.

Rastegar - the builder of the industrial park on my west side - has applied for permits to improve McAngus Road from their curb cuts eastward towards the COTA racetrack then north to Ross Road. COTA land is on the east side of that north/south stretch of McAngus.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Drove back from Franklin Baseball Ranch and the GPS took me down to 290 from 79. That Samsung facility by 79 is fucking mammoth. 
Shocked that they’re not widening that road. 

The fabs are fairly low density, people wise. The equipment required to make the semiconductors are massive and numerous and they pack those buildings to the gills with them (once fully built out). 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/23/2023 at 12:42 PM, BrazilHorn said:

Drove back from Franklin Baseball Ranch and the GPS took me down to 290 from 79. That Samsung facility by 79 is fucking mammoth. 
Shocked that they’re not widening that road. 

Austin waited 25 years to build expressways out to ABIA airport after it opened.

Mrs. Brat’s best friend from Taylor high school owns 200 acres about a mile southeast of that new plant. 
Her grandkids are gonna cash in some day.

Edited by Armybrat

IDK if this is anything, but there is gonna come a time when the worm turns on all the Austin real estate Wiz kids.  Maybe this is a portent of things to come?

Lawsuits from investors, condo owners suggest deeper financial troubles at StoryBuilt

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2023/07/28/storybuilt-investor-lawsuits.html?csrc=6398&taid=64c41e4eb68e980001656702&utm_campaign=trueAnthemTrendingContent&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Edited by DalTxHornFan

• 3 weeks later...

Dunno if this will link correctly.  But a photo montage of Watson and Co. at the Hobby building the other day and this particular one is too perfect.  It literally looks like a rat is coming from the top of the photo frame to eat the picture.  Probably just some dude's head but thought it was appropriate.  Anyway, for those of us familiar with the building, a fun trip down memory lane .  Fun in the sense it's gonna cost us all a shitton more money.  Also, some free lamps in the lobby for those interested:

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2023/08/18/inside-austin-vacant-hobby-building.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=ae&utm_content=AU&j=32445924&senddate=2023-08-18

22 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Dunno if this will link correctly.  But a photo montage of Watson and Co. at the Hobby building the other day and this particular one is too perfect.  It literally looks like a rat is coming from the top of the photo frame to eat the picture.  Probably just some dude's head but thought it was appropriate.  Anyway, for those of us familiar with the building, a fun trip down memory lane .  Fun in the sense it's gonna cost us all a shitton more money.  Also, some free lamps in the lobby for those interested:

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2023/08/18/inside-austin-vacant-hobby-building.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=ae&utm_content=AU&j=32445924&senddate=2023-08-18

A good friend was State Conservator for Insurance Companies. Luckily he retired before the State board of Insurance moved in that building.

I was checking out the Austin IH-35 site.  Who exactly is in charge of green lighting funding for caps for this thing?  TxDOT says "funding provided by others" ...  I'm ready to vote for it right now...

Here's MLK/IH35 without caps:

MLK_BASELINE1-THEME1__Overall.jpg

Here's MLK/IH35 with caps:

MLK_BASELINE2-THEME2__Overall.jpg

And here's the old East Avenue, before IH35 existed:

ghows-TX-e5454223-9505-4878-a1a6-c09216b

Seems obvious to me to include the caps and restore some green space to that area.

The old Bickler School building on the right was AISD headquarters when I applied for my first job there in 1967. 
There were 4 people total working in the HR department then.

Right after that, they moved up to the Carruth Building behind the DPS headquarters on North Lamar.

17 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

I was checking out the Austin IH-35 site.  Who exactly is in charge of green lighting funding for caps for this thing?  TxDOT says "funding provided by others" ...  I'm ready to vote for it right now...

Here's MLK/IH35 without caps:

MLK_BASELINE1-THEME1__Overall.jpg

Here's MLK/IH35 with caps:

MLK_BASELINE2-THEME2__Overall.jpg

And here's the old East Avenue, before IH35 existed:

ghows-TX-e5454223-9505-4878-a1a6-c09216b

Seems obvious to me to include the caps and restore some green space to that area.

That'll be some nice camping areas for the homeless.