Downtown Projects

Longhorn Al

On 7/10/2022 at 9:36 PM, Armybrat said:

1959, just before Town Lake was created….

2BAD5B8D-4B9A-45A8-A7ED-02B84160FE8D.jpeg

That is a great pic.  My earliest recollections of that location include barges dredging up sand and gravel from the river.  That memory of mine must have been from around 1962/63.  Remarkable to see so few trees.  Add a couple (or 3 or 4) decades -- and the trees magically happen.

And you can see the building that became Armadillo World Headquarters in the lower left of the pic!  Good times.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Guess the year. Construction projects are clues.

FYOuivKXgAEHT2O?format=jpg&name=medium

1982 or so.  The biggest clue to me is that the Erwin Center (1977) is there, the University Bank tower on 15th street (1981)  is there, but the only tallish downtown towers are the Austin National Bank at 6th and Congress, the Golden Bank One tower on West 6th, and the old First City Bank at 9th and Congress.  No One American Center, 100 Congress, 111 Congress, 301 Congress, etc., and I can't see any indication of clearing or site prep for those projects.

Things have changed a bit since then!

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Early 1980s

18 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

1982 or so.  The biggest clue to me is that the Erwin Center (1977) is there, the University Bank tower on 15th street (1981)  is there, but the only tallish downtown towers are the Austin National Bank at 6th and Congress, the Golden Bank One tower on West 6th, and the old First City Bank at 9th and Congress.  No One American Center, 100 Congress, 111 Congress, 301 Congress, etc., and I can't see any indication of clearing or site prep for those projects.

Things have changed a bit since then!

1981 Hyatt Regency is still under construction. They opened their doors in 1982.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

Guess the year. Construction projects are clues.

FYOuivKXgAEHT2O?format=jpg&name=medium

1982, if you look closely at the picture you can seen Joe Strummer and gang lounging at the Sheraton pool.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stringer said:

The traffic really isn't that bad unless it's peak hours for the bars. None of those streets are relevant through streets and I think most of the residents probably either don't own cars or don't drive that much. 

• 4 weeks later...

This looks like a really cool building.  It will incorporate the old historical stone structure of the prior Carmelo's restaurant at the ground level.

Here’s Our First Look at the Apartment Tower Headed for Fifth and Red River

https://austin.towers.net/heres-our-first-look-at-the-apartment-tower-headed-for-fifth-and-red-river/?pro=caitlyn@towers.net

5rr_12-scaled.jpg

Not technically downtown, but close...  Anyone know what they're doing with the open field/parking lot on Stratford in between Zilker and MoPac?  They've had it fenced off for a month or so and look like they're doing site prep work, but it's not for the whole area.  Kind of like they're putting in a driveway or something.

image.png.4edb3435c1571418dd631ae61307636e.png

I read a couple of months ago that area (a former 1950s landfill) is going to be redeveloped as an extension to the waterfront park. Right now, the area under MoPac is a parking lot - my son would wait there to pick up his oldest boy when Austin High let out.

Obviously there will be some issues with the pollution from the 60-70 year old garbage underneath the soil overlay.

Edited by Armybrat

On 8/16/2022 at 6:01 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

This looks like a really cool building.  It will incorporate the old historical stone structure of the prior Carmelo's restaurant at the ground level.

Here’s Our First Look at the Apartment Tower Headed for Fifth and Red River

https://austin.towers.net/heres-our-first-look-at-the-apartment-tower-headed-for-fifth-and-red-river/?pro=caitlyn@towers.net

5rr_12-scaled.jpg

i am not a fan. looks dated, like something from the mid 80s.

i do like integrating the old building Carmelo's was in and outside space around it though.

On 8/17/2022 at 10:03 AM, Armybrat said:

I read a couple of months ago that area (a former 1950s landfill) is going to be redeveloped as an extension to the waterfront park.

Been googling using this info (stratford drive waterfront park zilker mopac) and the best I can come up with is this, which seems to be not happening.  Can't find anything more recent (this seems to fall off in 2019).

https://zilkerneighborhood.org/zilker-stratford.shtml

• Hook 'Em 1

Construction lien.  Somebody bought that whole half-block.  Rumor has it they put the squeeze on the GC to inflate costs during start of Covid and conveniently "not in receipt of your payment" notices out to church's real estate arm.  Nobody at the city or nearby ground lease neighbors raised a stink.  Supposedly being razed early 2023.  There's one decently well-known name associated with the acquisition.  In 5 years time, he'll either be extremely wealthy off that tract, a Level-10 Thetan, or dead by his own hand.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Can't edit anymore, but forget to add may just be a ground lease, not fee simple.  Got two conflicting reports, one of 'em with a drunk dude (nojudging)  

Also, holy shit---not downtown but the stink being raised over the Schlotzky's demo this week.  What the fuck?  It's not the original one.  It was nothing but a heroin den the last 18 months.  I know because I walked it a few times for a potential leasee.  Seriously Austin, we're weeping the loss of a fucking Cinnabon?  Gene is in prison people!!!!!!!! 

• Haha 2

On 8/16/2022 at 7:56 PM, Mittens said:

Not technically downtown, but close...  Anyone know what they're doing with the open field/parking lot on Stratford in between Zilker and MoPac?  They've had it fenced off for a month or so and look like they're doing site prep work, but it's not for the whole area.  Kind of like they're putting in a driveway or something.

image.png.4edb3435c1571418dd631ae61307636e.png

Finally just emailed Parks & Rec to ask them.  tldr: They are planting native grasses on that area.

The goal is to protect the existing cap during regular operations and the maintenance work includes:

• gravel on the approximately 5-acre gravel area of the lot to address ponding of water and improve overall drainage
  • vegetation mat, Grasspave, and revegetation of the approximately 3-acre ‘dirt’ area of the lot 
  • irrigation system to sustain the native grasses / vegetation on the 3-acre lot
  • pump installation so that non-potable lake water is used for irrigation
  • split rail fence along Stratford Drive and Lou Neff Road
  • split rail fence to separate the 5-acre gravel area from the 3-acre revegetated area, and vehicular gates for access
  • vehicular gates along Stratford Drive and a pedestrian gate at Lou Neff Road

The scope of work will be completed in two phases. The first phase includes the completion of the gravel installation, base material for the vegetation mat, split rail and gate installation and the installation of the irrigation mainline and lateral lines. This work is expected to be completed by early September 2022, prior to the ACL festival. Upon completion of the ACL festival, the remaining components of the irrigation system will be installed and the vegetative hydroseed mix will be applied to the 3-acre lot. The second phase is expected to be completed by Nov / Dec 2022. The vegetated area may remain closed until the native grasses get established.

Maintenance work started on July 5, 2022. The lot was closed to the public from July 8 through July 12, 2022. On July 13, the 5-acre gravel lot was reopened to the public and is expected to remain open for the duration of the project.

0?ui=2&ik=8e3e10264c&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1742261951757394134&th=182dc203a42da0d6&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_9ct79fk5gGlNlS4njuc7nkIEkPNNE38qUC3oML_CEFp-GdB1ADdXPXTeC9ZPE4Bow-ERr4esBuAellU4ncZrVXB21Ituv2rfO0x5LCDfdJOXoU2fqbRqFT3c&disp=emb

The red outline indicates the area off-limits for use during the maintenance period. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/25/2022 at 9:07 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Nice. Right across the cemetery from the big AA complex and just down the street from where Madalyn Murray O'Hair's Atheist HQ was.  Lots of deep thinking going on in that hood.

They better lay off La Mancha across the street.

Sixth and Guadalupe is already the tallest building in Austin. I would imagine it is getting close to topping out.

874' - its going to be the 6th tallest building in Texas.

@ 1022' - 98 and Red River will be the tallest in Texas when complete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Texas

Edited by yoladu

I dunno.  Probably another dust storm.  Or porta-potty mud bath.  Or torrential rains.  Or heat exhaustion.  Or that one year I had to wear a fucking ski jacket to hear guns 'n roses it was so fucking cold.  Why can't october just fucking October?  Dammit, this is why we don't have nice things.

But in all seriousness, whatever happens to that lot in the next 12 months, C3 gonna fuck it up in Autumn 2023.  

On 4/6/2022 at 7:09 PM, Longhorn Al said:

Older news from early March, but I didn't see it posted.  4th & Brazos: A Perennial Tower Sprouts Downtown at Fourth and Brazos This Summer – TOWERS

This will be cool just about 2 blocks north of Block 16.  Two cool designs next to each other.  Both between 600-700 feet.

perennial-modified-exterior-scaled.jpg

These two are on hold for at least a year.

Edited by Jiggy-Z
For clarity.

Yeah, there's some groundbreaking happening, but real quiet-like...a buncha shit in the development pipeline is getting flagged down to an ass-grinding halt.  Nothing like 2009-2011, but I know of three towers that aren't really gonna happen when they said they'd start.  As well as a couple things at the Domain and Mueller.  Again, nothing serious but enough square footage that makes you think twice.  But we may as well slow down a bit, I'm sure they'll make it up to us with lower property taxes, right?  RIGHT?

The Wendy’s trailer at 35th and Jefferson is gone. Burger King carcass remains. The commercial real estate bros in charge of that deserve ass cancer in their ass. Same with the Randall’s down the street and the old Austin’s Pizza on Kerbey. That whole area looks like a Robocop set these days.

• Haha 1