Downtown Projects

Longhorn Al

Current progress at the Google building as of this morning. Not much has changed visibly, but it seems their almost finished with the retaining walls.

1e4da8fdb75583a5eeb378cc3384f8c0.jpg

Also, they're building the sidewalk and putting in trees at Austin Proper or whatever the hell it's called across the street.

379caff13aafa7860cd22bab3f489fda.jpg

• Like 1

Should Convention center expansion be its own thread?

Council wants to pursue option 5 of the UT study which would be done in 2 phases. The eventual goal would be:

• a taller convention center that takes up less city blocks
  • restores the city street grid
  • provides space for private high rise developments
  • provides more green space
  • provides a public event space

The Financial Points:

• Would be financed by maxing out the hotel tax which can only be done to expand the convention center by state law
  • %30 of the raise would go to support the arts industry in Austin
  • Hotels in the area have agreed to an additional purely voluntary tax on top of the raise that would put millions of dollars every year toward problems in the area including homelessness

SO basically, it doesn't cost Austin residents anything and it generates money for shit that needs money. It also helps Austin get better conventions which helps support the service industry. This is a no brainer. 

click to enlarge:

This is the layout after phase 1. Two floors of expo area is pretty dope. I like that model a lot. The south Vegas hall has 2 floors and it's nicer than the sprawl that comes with a single floor design.

Convention-Center-V5-Page-01.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-02.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-03.jpg

5.2 would not begin right after 5.1. It would take another action by council.
Convention-Center-V5-Page-05.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-04.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-06.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-07.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-08.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-09.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-10.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-11.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-12.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-13.jpg

Convention-Center-V5-Page-16.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-17.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-18.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-19.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-20.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-21.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-22.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-23.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-24.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-25.jpg
Convention-Center-V5-Page-26.jpg

Edited by Pasken

Not necessarily a project but that last holdout house on Rainey is up for sale...$2M+ against appraised value of 1.1M.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kxan.com/amp/news/local/austin/last-residential-home-on-rainey-street-up-for-sale/2050364103

KUT did a great piece on this guy earlier this year

https://www.kut.org/post/families-who-lived-rainey-street-all-left-one-man-stayed

Wife always asked the staff at Emmer and Rye if they ever met the guy

• 2 weeks later...

New proposal at 7th & Lavaca: https://austin.towers.net/a-towers-headed-for-downtown-austins-historic-royal-arch-masonic-lodge/?agent=caitlyn@towers.net

25-30+ stories above the Masonic Lodge.

Documents for the project, which also name firms Stone Development Group and DCI Engineers, present plans for an extensive restoration of the existing three-story historic building, with a new tower structure rising from it. The tower addition is stated as containing “25 to 30” stories in a few of these documents, but also “30+” stories in at least one other description

view_from_7th_royal_arch_lodge.jpg

rhode_partners_royal_arch_tower_4-e15613

The most exciting part of that massive section of downtown is choosing to eat leftovers of leftovers at the secret Lubys or taking your chances that glorias may not be serving malaria that day.  

13 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Secret luby’s? Is that a shot at headliners or something?

If there’s actually a secret Lubys downtown, I am genuinely intrigued.

There is a Luby's in the basement of the County building at 7th and Lavaca.

On 6/24/2019 at 5:53 PM, Longhorn Al said:

So given that I am on the 18th floor of the building in the picture above Gloria's looking north, does that mean I will be lucky enough to stare into the window of another building 50 feet away instead of the Capitol and UT Tower?

25 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Can somebody please post the picture of the big lone star sign that used to be at the corner of the drag and dean Keaton? Muchos gracias.

Not really following you there, sidewalk guy.

3 minutes ago, chitwood said:

So given that I am on the 18th floor of the building in the picture above Gloria's looking north, does that mean I will be lucky enough to stare into the window of another building 50 feet away instead of the Capitol and UT Tower?

Yes. Treat it as an opportunity to break out your binoculars like you (or someone on your floor) did to stare into Weymouth.

• Like 2

I feel like I’ve seen it posted somewhere on this site, maybe discussing the moxie millennial hotel. Recently some dude was talking about throwing rocks at it when he was in school. It was up way back when I was still dead so I never saw it, but i think someone said it was there by the jack in the box and hole in the wall.

Don't get me wrong.  I ain't above Luby's.  I had an office there for about 1.5 yrs.  It's just when your office overlooks the top of the parking garage/loading dock, and you see the van from the other Austin stores pull up each day and drop breakfast and lunch and most days, just let it sit in the cart for awhile while they smoke and bullshit with the other workers...and then see reheats of reheats of leftovers of leftovers from other Luby's stores because they know the county employees are easier to deal with than the angry seniors at their other stores...it's just enough to turn you off of eating there.  A good meal at Luby's when it's freshly cooked is a damn fine meal.  But as their model and footprint compresses, that is hard to find.  

48 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Don't get me wrong.  I ain't above Luby's.  I had an office there for about 1.5 yrs.  It's just when your office overlooks the top of the parking garage/loading dock, and you see the van from the other Austin stores pull up each day and drop breakfast and lunch and most days, just let it sit in the cart for awhile while they smoke and bullshit with the other workers...and then see reheats of reheats of leftovers of leftovers from other Luby's stores because they know the county employees are easier to deal with than the angry seniors at their other stores...it's just enough to turn you off of eating there.  A good meal at Luby's when it's freshly cooked is a damn fine meal.  But as their model and footprint compresses, that is hard to find.  

It could be worse. You could be eating at Mac's Meals, the cafeteria in the Hobby building. 

• 3 weeks later...

KUT's ATXplained story about the unfinished looking "crown" of the Jenga Tower.

https://www.kut.org/post/why-does-top-austins-tallest-building-look-unfinished

"They went out of their way to build the tallest building in town by a couple of feet. They're the ones who kind of branded it as the crown," Anstead says. "They wrote media and press releases about rewriting the Austin skyline and then it just, you know, womp womp."

Answer:

The top of the Independent has a couple of features. For one, it has these huge steel outriggers that stabilize it.

Two, at the very top of the huge concrete column is a giant water tank, called a "liquid tune damper." A building with this much surface area needs to withstand a lot of force from wind blowing against it, Rhode says. That force can cause the building to sway. Basically, the water in the damper tank sloshes around in response to the sway.

"That kind of slows down the movement," Rhode says. "And it works the best at the very top of the building."

Finally, there's mesh material that encases the whole top. Rhode says he wanted to make the top somewhat transparent, so you could see what's there. But the mesh also allows wind to pass through, reducing the force of the wind at the top of the building, where it would have the most impact.

In fact, if it weren't for these features, Rhode says, the top of the building might sway up to a foot and a half in each direction. Not exactly a comfortable feeling if you're living inside the building.

So that’s why it looks the way it does, but how does it feel to have this huge creation out in the open, for anyone to tell you exactly what they think about it? Does that kind of criticism feel bad?

"You stop and think, try to understand what their point of view is. So, in that sense, feel bad? No," Rhode says. "Maybe it's a little bit of a pause of reflection, if you will, to try to understand what that criticism is. And I've learned a lot from it. I don't know that we would have done anything different here, but I think it's something that does make you pause and think. And I think that's needed."

Rhode says one of his goals was to "up the ante," to "start a conversation" about the design of buildings along Austin's skyline. He knows there are haters, but in time, people may come to see the Independent as just as much a part of Austin as the Frost Bank tower.

"Even the Eiffel Tower was hated," Rhode says. "There was a huge move to tear it down." 

He pauses.

"I'm not comparing our building to the Eiffel Tower, so I hope it doesn't come across that way."

In a sense, the top of the building isn't quite finished. Rhode says workers are adding lighting that can change colors, kind of like the top of the Empire State Building. Look for that later this year.

The whole story is worth listening to.

• Like 1

I get it, but the structures he mentioned were bold, unconventional, even esoteric.  Of course they were/are going to have detractors and critics.  

I think the issue with the top of the Independent stems not from those issues, but from the fact that their stylistic and aesthetic decision was to place a square-shaped above-ground pool on top of a skyscraper and then enclose it in chain-link fence.  

That ain't bold nor interesting.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I get it, but the structures he mentioned were bold, unconventional, even esoteric.  Of course they were/are going to have detractors and critics.  

I think the issue with the top of the Independent stems not from those issues, but from the fact that their stylistic and aesthetic decision was to place a square-shaped above-ground pool on top of a skyscraper and then enclose it in chain-link fence.  

Yeah, I'm not a fan either.

Make it into the state's tallest, loudest, and hottest roof-top bar?  Young people love that dumb shit for some reason.  Drinking in the dark at street level is apparently just for us old Gen-Xers apparently.  

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

In fact, if it weren't for these features, Rhode says, the top of the building might sway up to a foot and a half in each direction. Not exactly a comfortable feeling if you're living inside the building.

Then how do buildings in other places that are way taller deal with sway?  I've always thought being at the top of this building in Manhattan would be fucking terrifying.  That shit has to sway a ton right?

52e2aa98eab8ea8d24a0b30b-750-563.jpg

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yep. They should have gone with the horizontal wood fencing, instead of chain link. That really screams, "New Austin."

Or maybe hogwire, kind of a nouveau riche meets country thing.  Paint the hogwire in rose gold to glisten in the setting sun.  Plus that pool has to be loads of fun up there with inflatable flamingos and what-not.  

I like that they think "lighting" is gonna make it look better.  Same guy is charge of the interior CapEx at the Palazio from what I understand.

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Then how do buildings in other places that are way taller deal with sway?  I've always thought being at the top of this building in Manhattan would be fucking terrifying.  That shit has to sway a ton right?

52e2aa98eab8ea8d24a0b30b-750-563.jpg

https://science.howstuffworks.com/engineering/structural/skyscraper4.htm

Some buildings already use advanced wind-compensating dampers. The Citicorp Center in New York, for example, uses a tuned mass damper. In this complex system, oil hydraulic systems push a 400-ton concrete weight back and forth on one of the top floors, shifting the weight of the entire building from side to side. A sophisticated computer system carefully monitors how the wind is shifting the building and moves the weight accordingly. Some similar systems shift the building's weight based on the movement of giant pendulums.

• Like 1

I think the other glaring clue was that nothing had happened to that building in two years.  They'd send in one guy every 30 days to "tinker" with the electrical to keep the permit active.  

It's now going to be a bull-riding bar and duck bowling.  And in the true spirit of Austin, it'll have a robust, "Craft cocktail" program.  I'd pay more attention to a bar opening that said, "We are not having a craft cocktail program, no craft beer program, nothing like that.  We'll have lots of good alcohol, served how you prefer, at reasonable prices."  

• 3 weeks later...

Demolition Of Brackenridge Starts This Month, Paving The Way For 17-Story Office Building

The architect's vision of what the 17-story building on the old Brackenridge campus will look like.After more than 130 years in Austin, a portion of the University Medical Center Brackenridge downtown will come down this month and be replaced by a 17-story office building. The demolition is part of UT Austin's plan to expand its health care district centered around the Dell Medical School. 

The new office will provide more space for medical research, as well as house some of the school’s medical and academic departments. UT also plans to sublease some of the space to other health care partners outside the university system. Clinical care is not expected to take place at the facility.

UT spokesperson Gary Susswein says this redevelopment will create a hub where academics, medical professionals and officials from Central Health and Ascension Seton can come together to collaborate.

“It’s what we always envisioned when we were creating Dell Medical School in order to serve the health needs of the local population,” he said. “To have this building go up is a milestone. It’s a key part of that effort.”  

The 2033 Higher Education Development Foundation, a local nonprofit set up to benefit UT Austin, is paying for the redevelopment of the 1.2-acre site along Red River Street. It signed a 99-year lease with Central Health, which owns the entire 14.3-acre property, and the revenue generated from that lease is expected to be more than $460 million. Officials say this will help pay for health care services in underserved areas in Travis County. 

“It’s exciting to see activity on Central Health’s property because it means we’ll soon be generating even more lease revenue,” Guadalupe Zamora, M.D., a Central Health board chairperson, said in a press release. “We’re redeveloping this property with the sole purpose of funding our mission of caring for people with low income.”

The construction project also includes plans to improve public access to Waller Creek by straightening Red River through the redeveloped property. 

Brackenridge closed in May 2017 when Ascension Seton moved across the street to the new Dell Seton Medical Center. 

The redevelopment of the old Brackenridge property is expected to be completed by 2022.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 10:20 AM, DalTxHornFan said:

99trinityGDA-e1497375378801.jpg

99 Trinity Site Faces Foreclosure

Does anybody else ever wonder if World Class Capital, et al. is all smoke and mirrors?

https://austin.towers.net/99-trinity-site-faces-foreclosure/?fbclid=IwAR3Gc9a55VlaEsyipjWPKzxFf8mc8aXm25Om8TwuiWSj0LOwESmLlcvO-tg

I'm not gonna say I told y'all so -- but I told y'all so!