The American Death Spiral and Your Plan

Buy whatever land parcels are left near Secret Beach in Belize (20-50k). Sit on my townhome in Austin for a few more years. Get further along in remote career to confidently work abroad. Sell place in Austin and build small custom home on plot in Belize.

Second on that plan is your mom.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

In the short term, gtfo Texas. Regardless of what exactly this country’s fate is over the course of my life, I want no part of living or potentially raising a family in this state anymore; and I say this as a lifelong Texan. That goes beyond politics but it’s certainly moved to the top of the list in recent years.

We’ll see how 2024-26 shake out. We could just end up living in what are functionally two or three different countries that share a common market and defense. In that scenario solid blue states may be livable for the long term. If we trend more toward Hungary/Russia, we’ll sheeeit. My brother lives in Mexico, they have their own issues but it would probably be first look.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

There aren't many places to go where fascism isn't a serious problem. An even smaller number where global warming isn't either.

and then toss in food and energy. not much of anything left. its a crapshoot I am afraid. 

i fucking visiting right now and I want to leave. its much more than the school shooting honestly. but i shall digress. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I've got friends with a big ass , self sufficient farm in Canada which I'll be visiting this summer to escape the heat for a couple weeks. 

If it gets so shitastic here that I'd be able to seek asylum in Canada then that's where I'd go. 

I think the climate will get us before the fascists do.

As long as my parents are here I'll be here. As long as my daughter is here I'll be here. If she moves somewhere else the wife and I probably will too. 

If none of them are left then I'll post up on South Padre living like crazy until my money runs out then head several miles north on the shoreline, walk into the water, and blow my head off. 

Moving to Germany.  Every day, even in Portland, I feel like I might be shot or run over by a right-wing lunatic.

(Yes, Germany has Nazi havens, but they just elected the most left parliament in quite some time.  And even Merkel, the center-right chancellor, was pretty left on the American spectrum.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

A hot British man with brown curly hair to come sweep me away.

Or work till I literally die in my office.

Either or.

If you know anyone looking for a bald Mexican, I’m ready to move 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

They are both coming fast and furious. I would rather Gaia take me out than a bunch of fucking morons though. 

Yeah at this point I’m totally down to see the end of the world. Nukes, asteroid, whatever. Just give me 10 minutes notice before wherever I am gets annihilated. Wanna have a beer and a J as I witness the of the planet 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I think climate is much more of a concern but if you are concerned with both political failure and climate, Canada is probably a good idea.

I think a midwest hamlet or enclave which was previously "too cold" for us Texans would be a good investment as the weather will be trending to mild and nice in the next 20-100 years and the weather will get worse in the South and North and East and West (as well as the coastlines). A present day mid-sized midwest city that could be the next big or cool city could be a great investment to get in cheap before the climate change.

I feel like we've gone through periods of unrest and extreme divisiveness in the past and it never seems to be existential (famous last words), so I don't put much stock in the doom spiral or domestic sky is falling. I think back to eras of like McCarthyism and the 50's with Jim Crow and segregation and even the Vietnam war era and draw hope and encouragement that this too shall pass. The worm will turn and then another cycle of unknown and unforeseeable depravity will have us circling the drain in 25 years during the next death spiral cycle, and turtles all the way down.

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Nah, I am good.  Bolsanaro won't last.  People fucking hate him.  I lived there,  My wife and kids are Brazilian.  I just want to sit on the porch in a small town in southern Brazil and wait for death.

Isn't Lula poised to win in a few months? He seemed to do an excellent job in his first tenure.

• Hook 'Em 1

i'm definitely bailing on this state, hopefully within 30 days!🤞🤞🤞

i am looking forward to living in a state where i will at least feel like i'm represented by leaders for once that care about my voice.

also i gotta get busy setting up digs for a Ladies Reproductive Choice Underground Railroad Way Station in my new basement 😄 (only half joking 😐)

we will likely have two of our best friends/couples living in Lake Chapala area within the next year (one couple has already been there three years)...push comes to shove we can join them a few years down the line if it...keeps getting worse 😕

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Folks eying Canada, you better be able to cut a big check. They require you to pay into their universal healthcare, I believe. Something like 400k per person on arrival. And it’s generally hard to get citizenship. 

Someone posted an article from one of the firms that specialize in this, that internet and demand in Golden Visas across the world has gone up by like 3000% since 2017 or so. It’s all rich people unsure about the future of America and wanting a way out. 

Australia’s golden visa is closed now, but before that it was 5 million. Portugals is still cheap like 500k. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

A hot British man with brown curly hair to come sweep me away.

Or work till I literally die in my office.

Either or.

I was relieved to see that your list and my list of hot British men were slightly different so we won't have to fight. The little detail that my spouse and their spouses may object will have to be worked out post Death Spiral. So Dan, Daniel, Tom, Benedict, and Andrew--you're on notice. (it's The List--see the Trevor Noah YouTube clip with Anna Kendrick for more info about that).

As far as a plan, I'm on the Ledge already so what is the point of being there if one is not willing to take a leap? The question will be not whether to step off, it will be whether to pack a parachute and its certified backup. Seriously though, we will stay and try to fight the dismal tide.

Already have a place in Thailand so I'll probably use that as my base of operations once the youngest gets out of high school.  My plan once I hang it up career wise has always been to sell all my shit and use the first year to scope out my next permanent residence.  I'll put together a list of about three or four locations and spend a couple of months in each to see which one is the best fit.

• Like 1