The American Death Spiral and Your Plan

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

If you really want to get pimpslapped with regard to wealth inequality spend some real time in Uruguay.  Also, do a little research on European immigrants historical treatment of native Uruguayan populations before you get all proud of your new home.

Americans:

image.jpeg.3c868711fc8ea0b23c7ba49707d97bb7.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

Well, essentially complete extermination is probably worse.  Not forgiving what has occured here.

So we tried that, then stuck them on shitty land in the middle of nowhere with dirty water and limited resources.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case being a Texpat is not enough:

Residency/Citizenship through investment (real estate or otherwise): https://www.goldenvisas.com/

Citizenship by blood (jus sanguinis), a popular option for Germany and Italy, among others: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_sanguinis

Live in the Netherlands as a freelancer or entrepreneur via the Dutch American Friendship Treaty (DAFT): https://expatlaw.nl/dutch-american-friendship-treaty

Use your US Bachelor's or Master's degree to work in Germany, no visa sponsorship required.  

Work for NATO: https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/recruit-wide.htm

Go to (English-speaking) grad school in Europe to get one foot in the door (varies by country): https://www.mastersportal.com/   https://www.reddit.com/r/IWantOut/comments/oxzuhy/iwantout_27f_usa_europeanywhere/h7s6u0p/?context=3

Sign up for the EU Blue Card if you meet the criteria.  Someone may reach out to you about job opportunities: https://www.apply.eu/

r/IWantOut is a good informal resource: https://www.reddit.com/r/IWantOut/wiki/guides

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 9:45 AM, Incredulity said:

wait till y'all experience how they treat Afro-Uruguayans.  It ain't woke.

we're talking about america. why do you keep referring to other countries? because your arguments about this one are untenable? seriously, i don't get it

30 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

we're talking about america. why do you keep referring to other countries? because your arguments about this one are untenable? seriously, i don't get it

No, they are talking about leaving America for an imaginary utopia. 

• Fuck You 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 5:14 AM, NameAlreadyInUse said:

And the food in Singapore, Malaysia and India are 3 of the top 5 best cuisines in the world. 

Ok, I can’t ignore this. Singapore is the mall food court of Asian. I live here and travel all over Asia. The food here is terrible compared to surrounding countries. They rely on everything to be imported because it’s a tiny island and no other country is giving them their quality meat and produce. The recipes are half-ass attempts to recreate authentic food and without the pride or care for customer satisfaction. Mall food court.

• Haha 3

I am in Vancouver right now with the family and my wife wants to seek political asylum and stay here permanently.  She does not want to go back to the TX summer heat after wandering around downtown Vancouver this evening in the 62 degree weather.  The TX politics aren’t making her too happy about living there either.  I told her Vancouver would never accept us so maybe we need to settle on the Pacific NW for a summer home or something.

9 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I am in Vancouver right now with the family and my wife wants to seek political asylum and stay here permanently.  She does not want to go back to the TX summer heat after wandering around downtown Vancouver this evening in the 62 degree weather.  The TX politics aren’t making her too happy about living there either.  I told her Vancouver would never accept us so maybe we need to settle on the Pacific NW for a summer home or something.

Why wouldn’t they accept you? I’m assuming you only mean an asylum app, but generally? Canadian residency and citizenship I’ve heard isn’t easy but surely you could find another way? 

For me it’s a multi prong strategic plan.  Primary concerns no matter where we live, mastering distractions like fishing, sailing and tennis. So when I turn off social media or the news I have plenty to fill with, I think I’ve got this covered. Tactically though it’s first get legally married quickly, and while my kids are finishing school it’s make as much money as I can, explore climate friendly and political friendly states for a second home we can pivot to if the US only becomes a land of christofacist states and reasonable states. Hopefully that’s enough, after that it’s either Canada or Europe because of climate - probably golden visa or otherwise it’s one of the residency programs available. South of France is likely my preference if we feel compelled to leave, and in a battle between Ken Paxton and Troph the Queerbird Etraordinare I think Troph and family will be the undisputed winner living in Nice or near Cannes with a view of the Mediterranean and a sailboat at the marina.  Checkmate asshole. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm staying in the States.  In terms of this discussion, I don't see New Zealand discussed as much now and I get kind of curious as to why that is.  Way back when I fantasized about leaving I know they had a tech worker shortage and it was a way to get in.  English speaking and from all the pictures (I have never been) it sure seems like a gorgeous place.  Mountains and beaches.  Seemed to handle Covid well.   And my right wing Father during the Cold War days used to tell me that was the safest place to be in terms of nuclear war....

1 hour ago, troph said:

Why wouldn’t they accept you? I’m assuming you only mean an asylum app, but generally? Canadian residency and citizenship I’ve heard isn’t easy but surely you could find another way? 

Pretty sure they have a No Texans Allowed sign at the border.

I was talking about asylum not general.  I can’t leave the US since my job won’t allow it.  Seriously thinking of getting a home elsewhere, like Seattle for the summers and then if need be use it full time if TX keeps getting worse.  The wife thinks anything over 75 degrees is hot (and she is a born and raised Texan) but this is probably not the best climate for what she likes now.

4 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I'm staying in the States.  In terms of this discussion, I don't see New Zealand discussed as much now and I get kind of curious as to why that is.  Way back when I fantasized about leaving I know they had a tech worker shortage and it was a way to get in.  English speaking and from all the pictures (I have never been) it sure seems like a gorgeous place.  Mountains and beaches.  Seemed to handle Covid well.   And my right wing Father during the Cold War days used to tell me that was the safest place to be in terms of nuclear war....

New Zealand is awesome, but you have to really have a specialized skill set to get in.  My sister lived there for a year after college, so I got to go for a couple of weeks and it's fucking great.  They were about 20 years behind the current technology at the time it seemed though.  This was in the mid 90s.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

New Zealand is awesome, but you have to really have a specialized skill set to get in.  My sister lived there for a year after college, so I got to go for a couple of weeks and it's fucking great.  They were about 20 years behind the current technology at the time it seemed though.  This was in the mid 90s.  

My current skills are Ninja and dynamite clown juggler.  Do you think I can get in?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

What was your sister’s specialized skill? Can we  guess?

• Haha 2

On 7/17/2022 at 10:07 AM, MC Fresh Breath said:

Because it's extremely difficult to get into New Zealand. They're aware of their demand. 

On 7/17/2022 at 1:39 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I'm pretty good with a Bo-staff.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/26/2022 at 9:22 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

That I wouldn't argue with.  Unfortunately it seems our recent anti-democratic streak is affecting the rest of the world too.

I'm not saying the US isn't a mess right now.  I'm saying it's wildly inaccurate and hyperbolic to call it the worst place to live on the planet.

Yeah, we're not even the worst 1st world country. Hungary is a real shithole.

On 7/18/2022 at 4:39 AM, Biff Tannen said:

when I first got to Oz around 3 something years ago - every store looked like a 1990s website. it was amazing. banner adds everywhere as far as the eye can see. i can only imagine NZ is some next level shit.

I mean maybe they are in the 90s now? wouldn't that be nice. They haven't developed enough to hate everyone else just yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Because it's extremely difficult to get into New Zealand. They're aware of their demand. 

Yeah, I have a fraternity brother who moved there, worked some sort of hocus pocus magic, and became a cop there.  Saw him like a year ago.  He absolutely loves it.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

have a buddy thats the club pro at a ritzy club near aspen. he was the club pro at a similar course in new zealand for several years. one of the members bought him, his wife and 2 kids new zealand citizenship. he didn't really want it/ask for it, but fuck you money don't care.

holy shit that's amazing

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The only downside to New Zealand is travel anywhere else. You’ll have a 25 hour flight and like it.

Oh the way back from a trip to Turkey we had a connection at a German airport (Frankfurt maybe). I ended up talking to a couple Kiwis who were motorcycle sidecar racers who had flown to Germany for a race. I rode at the time so we talked about bikes.

I asked them why they were flying to LAX from Germany. They said that was the fastest flight home. Blew my mind frankly. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Xminus6 said:

I asked them why they were flying to LAX from Germany. They said that was the fastest flight home. Blew my mind frankly. 

Try explaining that to a flat earther.  Why wouldn't the airplane just fly off into space once it hits the middle of the Pacific or so? 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Try explaining that to a flat earther.  Why wouldn't the airplane just fly off into space once it hits the middle of the Pacific or so? 

Because first you’d have to pass over Antarctica which rings the entirety of the outside edge of the earth, of course.