2022 Longhorns Countdown to kickoff

Longboard Horn

11 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

I’ll be your history professor on that picture. My Dad was on the UT sideline for that 1962 game. His “pearly white” pants haven’t been stained yet, as a “young junior” and basically on the practice squad. If it weren’t for their October tie to Rice (of all people) they’d been undefeated into their bowl game (Cotton Bowl).

They faced LSU that year and their “Bonzai Bandits” (spelling?). They practiced, of course, for the month leading up to the Cotton Bowl, but my Dad says they were Never out-physicaled or “out manned” ever, prior to this game! They only lost the game like 13-7, but my Dad said it was like a complete butt whipping!

That Spring both DKR and Rooster Andrews basically locked their ass in the West side weight/locker room. Back then (60s) according to Rooster, it was all about plyometrics and Isometrics! They didn’t have the weight training of today! Dad used to say that when they were “pushing” on the West side they could feel the stadium move

All of that work paid off, as the very next team went undefeated and UT’s first National Champions!

Hook’em!

3739790B-89D7-4186-A9E8-8ED27BAB7DD4.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 2

7 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

My God... $@.50 for a fucking ticket to a game! What a time to be alive!

Yeah, but $2.50 in 1962 is equivalent to $25-30 today, so not as cheap as it sounds. (But still cheap compared to current tix)

Edited by Paper_jam

7 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Toneil Carter, kid had lots of potential. Wish he would have stayed. Found out he's finishing his final year of eligibility at Texas A&M- Kingsville. 

carter_toneil_j1701kan.jpg

My God... $@.50 for a fucking ticket to a game! What a time to be alive!

Sure, and the same $2.50 would buy you ten longnecks at the bar... and it was about three hours' pay.