RIP Andy Fletcher of Depeche Mode

mdleast

My wife (nope) hung out with the band in the late nineties on their US tours with another friend.  Groupie adjacent, I've come to accept.  She has some great pics and memorabilia from those days and said this dude and Martin Gore were legit great guys (Gahan, not so much, but dude had a stage presence).   Tough week. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Crazy. I live a few blocks away from him in London, and he was often in one of the pubs I frequent. I didn’t know him well at all, but we’ve talked many times over the years (often about Chelsea FC), and he always loved our bulldog. He came in to the Kings Head late Tuesday afternoon and sat down next to me. We chatted for awhile and had a few pints before I had to head out. Really nice guy and he will be missed in the neighborhood.

that's a hell of a humble brag. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I saw them many times over the years.  Always put on a great show.

They were one of the first acts that played at the Mitchell Pavilion in the Woodlands when it opened.  I went to both nights they played.  I went to HS at McCullough in The Woodlands and a lot of students and staff were working at the Pavilion.  My English teacher and her daughter were taking tickets at the gate so I got in for free then discovered another friend of mine was working in one of the beer stands.  Free beer!

RIP Andrew

Was back at the pub this afternoon, which Fletch lived immediately next door to. Heard the details of what happened and will say that the “natural causes” report is more than appropriate. it clearly was. 

Talked to his son Joe a bit (who lived with Fletch and mom), who was holding it together remarkably well for the moment. Lots of love and support for him there. It’s a very locals and neighborhood pub that knew Fletch and son well. Pretty sad stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuge said:

I saw them many times over the years.  Always put on a great show.

They were one of the first acts that played at the Mitchell Pavilion in the Woodlands when it opened.  I went to both nights they played.  I went to HS at McCullough in The Woodlands and a lot of students and staff were working at the Pavilion.  My English teacher and her daughter were taking tickets at the gate so I got in for free then discovered another friend of mine was working in one of the beer stands.  Free beer!

RIP Andrew

Lol...McCoullough HS.  My son just finished his last day of 8th grade there yesterday.  My wife went to school there when it was still a HS (Class of 91). 

DM was one of my favorite bands growing up in the 80's.  I saw them a few years ago at The Woodlands Pavilion.  They put on a great show even if I wish they had played more of their hits than new songs.  "Catching up With Depeche Mode" was a cassette that I wore out a few times over.  And as someone that grew up in the Church of Christ, Depeche Mode was a vehicle to questioning my beliefs...specifically "Blasphemous Rumors".  RIP Fletch.  

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

Lol...McCoullough HS.  My son just finished his last day of 8th grade there yesterday.  My wife went to school there when it was still a HS (Class of 91). 

DM was one of my favorite bands growing up in the 80's.  I saw them a few years ago at The Woodlands Pavilion.  They put on a great show even if I wish they had played more of their hits than new songs.  "Catching up With Depeche Mode" was a cassette that I wore out a few times over.  And as someone that grew up in the Church of Christ, Depeche Mode was a vehicle to questioning my beliefs...specifically "Blasphemous Rumors".  RIP Fletch.  

I was class of '90.  I might know your wife...😉

1 hour ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Was back at the pub this afternoon, which Fletch lived immediately next door to. Heard the details of what happened and will say that the “natural causes” report is more than appropriate. it clearly was. 

Talked to his son Joe a bit (who lived with Fletch and mom), who was holding it together remarkably well for the moment. Lots of love and support for him there. It’s a very locals and neighborhood pub that knew Fletch and son well. Pretty sad stuff.

Could you let us know what these "natural causes" were?  Pretty please with sugar on top?

4 hours ago, Nuge said:

Could you let us know what these "natural causes" were?  Pretty please with sugar on top?

I could, but I’m not sure it really matters. Wasn’t a prolonged disease, wasn’t something he was suffering with. Was here and gone in a matter of days.

Damn. I had the nickname Fletch for a long time. Not from the movie, but because of Andy. He was very cool guy. He did remix of 2 of my friend’s band songs for free back in the day. I have listened to old school DM stuff all day. He will live forever.

I saw them on the 101 tour at the Erwin Center and many times since then.

When they were here for ACL Fest they brought the damn house down.

They closed the show with But Not Tonight and I swear to the G O D it started raining.

Anyway, Fletch always did his thing in background, which was mostly dancing.

He didn't play much but he did have the best seat in the house.

It was like he was a fan as much as the audience.

I wonder where the band goes from here. 

DM was Fletch's band so to speak.

He was one of the original members along with Gore and Clarke.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 12:46 PM, HiggyBaby said:

Yup. He was having dizzy spells a few days before and collapsed in the house. He didn’t get it checked out and a few days later had the heart attack. 

He was renting a temporary place while his home was being renovated after some floods. It is very very close to the London Heart Hospital. His son went to the hospital (which is a small private facility) when it happened asking for help but was much too late.