Andor

CooterBrown

This shit rocks.

Spoiler

Opening scene in a brothel, then moments later the protagonist shooting someone point blank in the face. The tone overall was different than anything I’ve seen from Star Wars. The writing, set design, cinematography etc we’re all well done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

I'm just tired of Disney schlock written by teenagers for kids, being passed off as "good". The trailers for this look half-decent, it's helmed by a director who creates art for adults, and I love Stellen Skarsgard, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

This show is definitely not written for teenagers. In fact, I’m wondering if I even want my girls to watch it.

On 9/19/2022 at 10:18 PM, mdmost said:

This was shot like a movie with real sets and not using the Volume like Mando and Book of Boba Fett. So it should feel like a real prequel to Rogue One. I just want more dark Star Wars. 

How dark and gritty are we talking?  My 8 (about to turn 9) and 10 year old watched rogue 1 at ~7 and 9. They’ve also been watching Rings of Power. Is this worse than those?

14 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

How dark and gritty are we talking?  My 8 (about to turn 9) and 10 year old watched rogue 1 at ~7 and 9. They’ve also been watching Rings of Power. Is this worse than those?

I can't speak to Rings of Power, but it's not so much the "darkness" that may not work for kids so much as the tone/pacing. 

Its tone and pace (so far) is very deliberate. There are lots of conversations, discussions with subtext and not so much explosive action.  Think the middle third of Empire Strikes Back.  There is *much* more "action" in Rogue One than there is in Andor (so far).

When there is action/violence it's pretty violent (for Star Wars... it's not like there's blood/dismemberments/etc.) and then the characters' reactions to the violence is more "real" vs. just mowing down Stormtroopers and moving on.

Edited by oSuJeff97

6 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I can't speak to Rings of Power, but it's not so much the "darkness" that may not work for kids so much as the tone/pacing. 

Its tone and pace (so far) is very deliberate. There are lots of conversations, discussions with subtext and not so much explosive action.  Think the middle third of Empire Strikes Back.  There is *much* more "action" in Rogue One than there is in Andor (so far).

When there is action/violence it's pretty violent (for Star Wars... it's not like there's blood/dismemberments/etc.) and then the characters' reactions to the violence is more "real" vs. just mowing down Stormtroopers and moving on.

There is also a romance/sex scene which is unusual.  No nudity but you get the picture.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, huge said:

There is also a romance/sex scene which is unusual.  No nudity but you get the picture.

Yeah forgot to mention that.

No nudity and they don't even really show them making out or whatever, but it's the most overt "implied sex" on screen ever in Star Wars.... other than Padme getting knocked up I guess, lol.

12 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah forgot to mention that.

No nudity and they don't even really show them making out or whatever, but it's the most overt "implied sex" on screen ever in Star Wars.... other than Padme getting knocked up I guess, lol.

Nothing else has been particularly close.

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Maybe watch it before you just blast your anti-Disney-ruined-SW copy paste 

I was encouraged by it and am not copy pasting shit. I saw what they did to Obi-Wan, Boba Fett, and Luke.

6 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

But…we’re watching a Disney produced show

No shit. Watch 6/7/8, Boba Fett, and Obi-Wan, then get back to me. I'm just happy this seems to be written and directed for adults instead of thirteen year olds, though I'll hold final judgement till I've watched all of it.

Just binged the first three episodes. If the momentum can keep up, this will be the best thing to come out of the Star Wars universe. The dialog is fantastic. The scene with the security chief explaining how he wanted the murders to disappear was great, as was the awkward speech to the security team. Adult Star Wars is best Star Wars.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Just binged the first three episodes. If the momentum can keep up, this will be the best thing to come out of the Star Wars universe. The dialog is fantastic. The scene with the security chief explaining how he wanted the murders to disappear was great, as was the awkward speech to the security team. Adult Star Wars is best Star Wars.

Speaking of dialogue, and I know this is a weird thing to comment on, but the language of the Kenari teens doesn't sound made up. They sound fluent in a language that's reminiscent to my American ears as something vaguely Portuguese.

And when I mean "fluent," you can tell their intent through the way they speak, emphasizing phrases and speeding up or slowing their speech. That's some serious attention to detail with, likely, experienced linguists assisting in a small but important way of selling it all.

7 hours ago, bolverk said:

Speaking of dialogue, and I know this is a weird thing to comment on, but the language of the Kenari teens doesn't sound made up. They sound fluent in a language that's reminiscent to my American ears as something vaguely Portuguese.

And when I mean "fluent," you can tell their intent through the way they speak, emphasizing phrases and speeding up or slowing their speech. That's some serious attention to detail with, likely, experienced linguists assisting in a small but important way of selling it all.

And there’s no subtitles for it 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And there’s no subtitles for it 

Precisely, but you get the gist of what they're saying anyway. It comes across as natural, instead of a made-for-teevee contrived or stilted language. Again, it's a small thing but still very impressive and effective. The lack of subtitles shows how confident they were in its creation.

So far it’s been ok.  Solid character development, good acting, excellent world building.  Lacks the Star Wars nostalgia which I’m sure will come.

Mandalorian was grade A and I will be shocked if any SW shows top it.  Boba Fett was weak (C-), and Obi-Wan was a mixed bag (B-/C+).  So far I’m giving Andor a C+ But I expect it to get better.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Precisely, but you get the gist of what they're saying anyway. It comes across as natural, instead of a made-for-teevee contrived or stilted language. Again, it's a small thing but still very impressive and effective. The lack of subtitles shows how confident they were in its creation.

Exactly. You never needed to know what they were saying. 

Also, this was a rare time when a flashback fit the current action so perfectly.

This is really well done and hopefully they give this team some more shows not involving anything Skywalker related.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

This little bit had me pumped. Sry about the cat meme but it vibes with what I was probably doing at the time. 

I think in the little episode zero making of thing they dropped a few days ago, or maybe on disney day, the guy that plays andor said they played the scene score during shooting. 

i am intrigued so far, but most of what happened between the first scene of ep1 and the last scene of ep3 was pretty boring, introducing us to some new stuff.  Now that they’ve gotten through the hows and whys, I expect the story to start going. 

oh, and once again they introduce a new, fun little droid buddy. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

29 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Bix = hottest SW character ever?

(after Anakin on Mustafar)

I'm sure you'll get some "Leia in bikini" responses.

For my money, nobody in SW has ever been hotter than Carrie Fisher in ESB. She was just so freaking hot and it was before the cocaine started putting extra miles on the treads.

We didn't get to see her in anything very revealing in ESB which is too bad because got damn.

fisher.jpg

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think in the little episode zero making of thing they dropped a few days ago, or maybe on disney day, the guy that plays andor said they played the scene score during shooting. 

i am intrigued so far, but most of what happened between the first scene of ep1 and the last scene of ep3 was pretty boring, introducing us to some new stuff.  Now that they’ve gotten through the hows and whys, I expect the story to start going. 

I guess they sent out episodes 1-4 for reviews and they pretty much all say the pace really picks up in episodes 3 and 4.