Andor

CooterBrown

10 hours ago, Captainant said:

Damn I just realized the lights dimmed in the prison because of how much juice they were pumping into the floors to fry level 2. This is a pretty fucking grim display of imperial justice to just shove that much mass death in our face as we watch an old man get euthanized after a stroke because he's no longer useful labor. 

But wouldn't you know it, that oppression bred rebellion into Kino.

Oh yeah and torture by way of amplified and intensified screams of dying children under a massacre? God fucking damn, Disney!

This is some seriously grimdark stuff. 

Yes it is.

But the interesting thing is these things were there from the very beginning. 

Just in the ANH the Empire does the following:

• Kills basically the entire crew of Tantive IV looking for the DS plans.
  • Kills Luke's Aunt and Uncle and an entire transport of Jawas in the process of just looking for a couple of droids.
  • Kidnaps, tortures and plans to execute a member of the Imperial Senate without any sort of a trial or hearing because she was/is a suspected Rebel.
  • Oh yeah - they literally destroy an entire planet and kill billions of people as an interrogation technique.

So yeah, those fuckers have always been ruthless and brutal, we just have (mostly) never seen their brutality so personally on the "ground level" like we do in Andor.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

All of that. It makes you wonder if they will show any pushback from elements within the empire. Surely there are folks there who share the empire's vision, but disagree with the tactics that do nothing but breed rebellion. It would be a great setup for the rise of Thrawn.

Although it doesn't seem like something Tony Gilroy is interested in doing, it would be freaking glorious to have live action Thrawn and members of the Phoenix cell make appearances in Andor Season 2. 

It certainly seems the timeline will directly overlap with this:

• Drool 1

This show makes Boba and Obi series look like they were made on a $1000 budget, written by a vampire series novelist, and directed by some first year film students. 

This sets the bar pretty fucking high on what we expect from SW shows going forward. There are no excuses for shitty writing and directing.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

This show makes Boba and Obi series look like they were made on a $1000 budget, written by a vampire series novelist, and directed by some first year film students. 

This sets the bar pretty fucking high on what we expect from SW shows going forward. There are no excuses for shitty writing and directing.

I'm not sure I'd say the Obi series had "shitty directing."  The "director stuff" (shots, pacing, etc.) was actually quite good. There were several shots/sequences that were quite stunning.... from Obi-Wan's rescue of Leia to his fights with Vader. (The rooftop chase in Episode 2 (?) was really the only clunky directing, but it was an outlier, imo)

It was just the content/plot/writing was about a 6/10.

Boba was bad though, which is crazy because Robert Rodriguez has the chops, and his episode of Mandalorian was great. Seems like he was just cashing a paycheck in Boba.

But yeah, nobody can write compelling "people in rooms" content like Tony Gilroy. That's a VERY high bar to be sure.

Edited by oSuJeff97

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yes it is.

But the interesting thing is these things were there from the very beginning. 

Just in the ANH the Empire does the following:

• Kills basically the entire crew of Tantive IV looking for the DS plans.
  • Kills Luke's Aunt and Uncle and an entire transport of Jawas in the process of just looking for a couple of droids.
  • Kidnaps, tortures and plans to execute a member of the Imperial Senate without any sort of a trial or hearing because she was/is a suspected Rebel.
  • Oh yeah - they literally destroy an entire planet and kill billions of people as an interrogation technique.

So yeah, those fuckers have always been ruthless and brutal, we just have (mostly) never seen their brutality so personally on the "ground level" like we do in Andor.

This. Luke’s parents getting fried was bad but in the next scene we were off to a to find a pilot. Luke was a little mopey but that’s all we really got. With Andor I actually feel invested in the brutal actions of the Empire, and feel sick when I hear all of level two actually got fried, when I didn’t even see it. 

12 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

The only thing with this is Andor is completely different than anything they’ve ever done. They could repeat the same style with other shows but it might not work because of the way SW inherently is. I think what this show does for Disney is it allowed them to see there’s a large portion of the fan base that wants to see SW presented like this. 

15 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I'm not sure I'd say the Obi series had "shitty directing."  The "director stuff" (shots, pacing, etc.) was actually quite good. There were several shots/sequences that were quite stunning.... from Obi-Wan's rescue of Leia to his fights with Vader. (The rooftop chase in Episode 2 (?) was really the only clunky directing, but it was an outlier, imo)

Boba was bad though, which is crazy because Robert Rodriguez has the chops, and his episode of Mandalorian was great. Seems like he was just cashing a paycheck in Boba.

But yeah, nobody can write compelling "people in rooms" content like Tony Gilroy. That's a VERY high bar to be sure.

don't want to make this an obi thread but some of the shots/scenes were just stupid. just the ones which came to mind...

- first darth and obi fight was unbelievable. you have badass jedis and that's the fight scene that was delivered?

- fight scene in the hangar with the fighter jet standing still shooting people was beyond unbelievable

- fight whole scene with obi and the transport fight scene

14 hours ago, Captainant said:

Damn I just realized the lights dimmed in the prison because of how much juice they were pumping into the floors to fry level 2. This is a pretty fucking grim display of imperial justice to just shove that much mass death in our face as we watch an old man get euthanized after a stroke because he's no longer useful labor. 

But wouldn't you know it, that oppression bred rebellion into Kino.

Oh yeah and torture by way of amplified and intensified screams of dying children under a massacre? God fucking damn, Disney!

This is some seriously grimdark stuff. 

KIno's flip switched when he figured out he was never getting out.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

don't want to make this an obi thread but some of the shots/scenes were just stupid. just the ones which came to mind...

- first darth and obi fight was unbelievable. you have badass jedis and that's the fight scene that was delivered?

- fight scene in the hangar with the fighter jet standing still shooting people was beyond unbelievable

- fight whole scene with obi and the transport fight scene

I mean... I honestly find "it was unbelievable" as a criticism in the context of a show about dueling space wizards with super powers to be a little dubious, but opinions vary and that's fine.

I found the photography/editing/etc., of Obi-Wan to be top-notch, for the most part; I just felt the story itself was a little weak, but I still enjoyed the series. I can't say the same about Boba, save for the two Mando episodes.

• Hook 'Em 1

She doesn’t strike me as someone with much of a social life.
I imagine she’s exactly what Tracy Flick would become if she grew up in the Star Wars universe and became an ISB officer.

No, but for 42 she’s def hitting the imperial gyms.

One thing is for sure, Syril will never get it. That scene is still so weird to me.

The job the show is doing for Mon Mothma is simply amazing. I bet the last two episodes is where we see her break from the senate, with season two showing her growth as one of the main leaders of the rebellion. Season two is going to be a drama filled madhouse. 

3 hours ago, Levi said:

The job the show is doing for Mon Mothma is simply amazing. I bet the last two episodes is where we see her break from the senate, with season two showing her growth as one of the main leaders of the rebellion. Season two is going to be a drama filled madhouse. 

I hope they go slower than that and get more seasons.  I'd like to see the rebellion not come together all of a sudden.  Mon starting to work inside the Senate trying to pull more planets behind the scenes to her cause.  More discussions amongst the various cell leaders how best to proceed.  Saw going off and being more brutal than the Empire to score wins.  Grandstanding and calling Luthen, Mon, and others a bunch of faux rebels.  Thrawn working to quash the rebels.  The ISB feeding Thrawn intelligence and squeezing out some of the early rebellion attempts.  Maybe season 3 have Mothma be accused of treason and go on the run with the rebels.  Lots of options I think.

The Waif can get it. One of the great Pam Beasley jobs to ugly her up for GOT and early Andor. 

I didn’t like the most recent episode. Very slow, plodding. Well no shit they’re never getting out. Has anybody been paying attention to Paps?!

If the noise the Empire uses to torture is so f***ed up, at least let us hear it. This is adult Star Wars. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Levi said:

The only thing with this is Andor is completely different than anything they’ve ever done. They could repeat the same style with other shows but it might not work because of the way SW inherently is. I think what this show does for Disney is it allowed them to see there’s a large portion of the fan base that wants to see SW presented like this. 

21 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Boba's strength should have been that Rodriguez was a fan of Boba Fest since he was a little kid, but that turned out to be its weakness, as if he was applying his Spy Kids style to Boba Fett, or a 10 year-old Rodriguez was making a Fett series or something.

Tony Gilroy seems to be the key ingredient - they brought in somebody who loves espionage stuff first.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If the noise the Empire uses to torture is so f***ed up, at least let us hear it. This is adult Star Wars. 

Completely disagree. It's a psychological thriller - sometimes it's more horrifying if you are left to imagine how horrible something is. 

It's kind of like how they handled Level 2 - you KNEW something bad just happened. When you find out it's up to you to imagine how painful and horrid their deaths were at the hands of that electric floor. 

Just MHO. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Waif can get it. One of the great Pam Beasley jobs to ugly her up for GOT and early Andor. 

I didn’t like the most recent episode. Very slow, plodding. Well no shit they’re never getting out. Has anybody been paying attention to Paps?!

I understand you are entitled to your opinion but I want to let you know it sucks. The last episode was frikin great! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, deech said:

I hope they go slower than that and get more seasons.  I'd like to see the rebellion not come together all of a sudden.  Mon starting to work inside the Senate trying to pull more planets behind the scenes to her cause.  More discussions amongst the various cell leaders how best to proceed.  Saw going off and being more brutal than the Empire to score wins.  Grandstanding and calling Luthen, Mon, and others a bunch of faux rebels.  Thrawn working to quash the rebels.  The ISB feeding Thrawn intelligence and squeezing out some of the early rebellion attempts.  Maybe season 3 have Mothma be accused of treason and go on the run with the rebels.  Lots of options I think.

Not sure if you watched Rebels or not, but Mon's path to resigning from the Senate and becoming chancellor of the Rebel Alliance was covered in Season 3 of that show and is thus canon.

I linked the clip from that show upthread if you want to check it out.  There will definitely be overlap in those events covered in Rebels and in season 2 of Andor, as both take place in 0-1 BBY.

Also just FYI there won't be season 3 of Andor.  It's already been announced - season 1 is covering events roughly 5 years before Rogue One, then season 2 will time jump up to 1 year before Rogue One and cover events leading directly into it.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Not sure if you watched Rebels or not, but Mon's path to resigning from the Senate and becoming chancellor of the Rebel Alliance was covered in Season 3 of that show and is thus canon.

I linked the clip from that show upthread if you want to check it out.  There will definitely be overlap in those events covered in Rebels and in season 2 of Andor, as both take place in 0-1 BBY.

Also just FYI there won't be season 3 of Andor.  It's already been announced - season 1 is covering events roughly 5 years before Rogue One, then season 2 will time jump up to 1 year before Rogue One and cover events leading directly into it.

I watched Rebels and loved it, but only once and I can't recall what was or was not covered in there.  My fault.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, deech said:

I watched Rebels and loved it, but only once and I can't recall what was or was not covered in there.  My fault.

Man there's a lot of content out there.... nobody can keep it all in their head except the nerdist of nerds. (hello!)

So because of that overlap with the Mon Mothma story, I think Andor Season 2 would be an ideal time to bring in live action versions of the Phoenix cell and Thrawn, but I just don't think Tony Gilroy will do that, as he's been pretty adamant about not doing "cameo" stuff from other Star Wars shows (other than Rogue One), but we'll see.

Edit - the only way I see it happening is if he brings in Filoni to write one of the 3-epidsode blocks of season 2. If that happens, I think we will see Phoenix and Thrawn.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Hook 'Em 1

Man there's a lot of content out there.... nobody can keep it all in their head except the nerdist of nerds. (hello!)
So because of that overlap with the Mon Mothma story, I think Andor Season 2 would be an ideal time to bring in live action versions of the Phoenix cell and Thrawn, but I just don't think Tony Gilroy will do that, as he's been pretty adamant about not doing "cameo" stuff from other Star Wars shows (other than Rogue One), but we'll see.
Edit - the only way I see it happening is if he brings in Filoni to write one of the 3-epidsode blocks of season 2. If that happens, I think we will see Phoenix and Thrawn.

I don’t want Filoni anywhere near Andor. And I like Filoni.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I don’t want Filoni anywhere near Andor. And I like Filoni.

Right there with you. I like Filoni but I don't need World Beyond Worlds, laser swords, or any of the other Star Wars trappings Filoni might add. Just give us the ugly side of Star Wars because it's refreshing to see. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Right there with you. I like Filoni but I don't need World Beyond Worlds, laser swords, or any of the other Star Wars trappings Filoni might add. Just give us the ugly side of Star Wars because it's refreshing to see. 

I'm with you, but I think with Gilroy show-running, you could still have Filoni come in and write some episodes IF they decide to bring in elements of Rebels where they will overlap with the Andor season 2 timeline...

At the end of the day the showrunner still has "last pass" at all scripts/decisions no matter who the credited writer is on each episode, so you could have the best of both worlds bringing in elements of existing canon from Filoni and still have the show be pure Gilroy.

21 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I'm with you, but I think with Gilroy show-running, you could still have Filoni come in and write some episodes IF they decide to bring in elements of Rebels where they will overlap with the Andor season 2 timeline...

At the end of the day the showrunner still has "last pass" at all scripts/decisions no matter who the credited writer is on each episode, so you could have the best of both worlds bringing in elements of existing canon from Filoni and still have the show be pure Gilroy.

Nah. I think Filoni's too geeky to write the tone this show needs. Sure, there are some Clone Wars and Rebels episodes that were dark but this show is so bleak and that's wonderful. It truly puts you into the mindframe of why the Rebellion happened. I honestly don't want or need Rebels people to show up in this. The fewer winks and nods the better. They'll all be in Ahsoka anyway. 

34 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Nah. I think Filoni's too geeky to write the tone this show needs. Sure, there are some Clone Wars and Rebels episodes that were dark but this show is so bleak and that's wonderful. It truly puts you into the mindframe of why the Rebellion happened. I honestly don't want or need Rebels people to show up in this. The fewer winks and nods the better. They'll all be in Ahsoka anyway. 

You're probably right, but I wonder if the overall the tone/pace will change in Andor in season 2. 

Remember they will be working to connect it to Rogue One; and while R1 certainly had a more serious tone, there were still lots of very "Star Warsy" stuff in it, and obviously cameos of existing characters (Vader, Tarkin, Leia, etc.); so I think it's possible or even probable that Season 1 of Andor will continue on its current path with little change to its overall structure/tone, while season 2 begins to fold in more "Star Warsy" elements -- including possible "cameos" of existing characters (Krennick? Tarkin again? Galen Erso? Jyn Erso?) as we get closer to the events of Rogue One.

Whatever the direction, I have full faith and confidence in Tony Gilroy that it will be awesome.

Edited by oSuJeff97

6 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Damn.  Bingein def the way to go. But fuk me. Who said it goes every 3 episodes for pay offs. I’m on a big time cliff hanger in the prison. 

I should have waited 4. 

this show is bad ass 

The show structure has been:

3 ep arc (Ferrix)

3 ep arc (Aldahni)

1 ep single (aftermath of the heist)

3 ep arc (prison)

2 ep finale

Where each grouping has had the same director through all three, so they are very consistent across the arc

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

No matter what they chose, people would bitch about the sound. Leaving it up to each individuals imagination makes is scarier. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 11:35 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

Robert Rodriguez is a competent director who gets in his own way with stupid shit.   He needs someone to say no to him and to edit his ideas or to operate on a limited budget to prevent him from doing something dumb.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Personally, I think it would be a huge disservice to not bring Thrawn in to this at some point. He's the perfect character for this type of thing. 

There’s no question about whether or not they bring him in to live action. There’s about 100% chance he’ll be in the Ashoka show… I’d say there’s maybe a 40-50% chance we see him in Season 2 of Andor.

16 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Oh shyt. Leia? Is that our Leia ??

dang. White chick dolls up nice. 

wtf. 6 years ? That’s dumb

. I’m on epi 2 of my 3 episode binge 

Are you talking about Luthen’s assistant?  If so, it’s Klaya, not Leia. :)  (I had to look that up early on because I was like, “is he saying Leia?!”)

• Hook 'Em 1