Andor

CooterBrown

23 hours ago, crash_davis said:

it is incredible how the whole creative team knocked this series out of the fucking park.  incredible writing, acting, directing, music, and editing. the tiniest of details were planned and executed like how the intro music got more complex as the series progressed and how the intro music IS the music played at the funeral march. every shot and story was deliberately told to show the character progression of Andor from a thug thief to a rebel.

his story is mirrored by Syril. Syril's pursuit of Andor kicked off the actions which made Andor become who he is at the end of this seaon. Syril is the poster boy for the empire's quest for order through control. Syril shares a similar character growth, but with opposite path. one becomes rebel dedicated to fighting the empire and the other becomes an empire agent dedicated to enforcing the empire's will.

there are 2 really good youtube channels which offer amazing insight to this show.

Screen crush is great.

Generation Tech goes even deeper into the stories. It's basically a dude talking but so much insight into the characters and the story lines. 

If you're into podcasts, check out A More Civilized Age. It's four nerds that are professional writers and creatives that were doing a Clone Wars podcast and paused to watch Andor, but they REALLY get into things. Excellent discussion that even maps some of Nemeks writing to the modern day contemporary revolutionary authors 

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:
  Hide contents

And he shares his dreams with (Force) ghosts.

But I think he’s probably not.  Gilroy was trying to avoid fan service and avoid too many tropes or whatever you want to call them.

I really loved how Andor gave us ghosts from the past to encourage our heros in their darkest hour, but instead of a ghostly Obi Wan on Hoth, we got Nemek's manifesto and Marva's speech. Its the magic of a force ghost, but technological and accessible to the regular Joe's of the galaxy. Andor did loads of subversion of Jedi touchstones, including Nemek's "try" in direct conversation with Yoda's "do or do not"

Goddamn the show is so good, my favorite since The Expanse, hands down

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I really loved how Andor gave us ghosts from the past to encourage our heros in their darkest hour, but instead of a ghostly Obi Wan on Hoth, we got Nemek's manifesto and Marva's speech. Its the magic of a force ghost, but technological and accessible to the regular Joe's of the galaxy. Andor did loads of subversion of Jedi touchstones, including Nemek's "try" in direct conversation with Yoda's "do or do not"

Goddamn the show is so good, my favorite since The Expanse, hands down

Remember the words of the Aldhani leader.  Prophetic to the rest of the rebellion

9 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I don’t believe the Jedi theory but I just grabbed this screenshot from the critical drinker video.

b950c9da5ae217b1f95c6d3788cfbb06.jpg

That's his walking stick that collapses. He had it when he went to Saw the 2nd time. It's not a lightsaber. Keep the space wizards out of this show. It's better that they stay the myth they became to everyone. If we're in a world now with Inquisitors searching for Jedis and force sensitive beings, Luthen would stick out pretty well. I think we're going to find that Luthen has studied the history of civilizations and saw what was coming when the Empire took over. I'd imagine we'll get a little bit of a deeper dive into his character next season. 

That's his walking stick that collapses. He had it when he went to Saw the 2nd time. It's not a lightsaber. Keep the space wizards out of this show. It's better that they stay the myth they became to everyone. If we're in a world now with Inquisitors searching for Jedis and force sensitive beings, Luthen would stick out pretty well. I think we're going to find that Luthen has studied the history of civilizations and saw what was coming when the Empire took over. I'd imagine we'll get a little bit of a deeper dive into his character next season. 

I know it’s not a light saber. I think that was intentionally framed like that to fuck with fanboys.

They made a point of telling us he has some sort of hidden past. All we got was that he made some sort of decision 15 years ago, and “he is something we will never discuss.” If he is an ex-Jedi who walked away from the Order (like Ahsoka) or an ex-Sith who walked away from… whatever they have then that would be cool. And it tracks that an ex force wielder would carry a staff (they never show him use it as a walking stick) and they certainly gave it the full Chekov’s Gun treatment in that scene in Ep. 11. 

15 years could be about the time that Order 66 was issued. 

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

They made a point of telling us he has some sort of hidden past. All we got was that he made some sort of decision 15 years ago, and “he is something we will never discuss.” If he is an ex-Jedi who walked away from the Order (like Ahsoka) or an ex-Sith who walked away from… whatever they have then that would be cool. And it tracks that an ex force wielder would carry a staff (they never show him use it as a walking stick) and they certainly gave it the full Chekov’s Gun treatment in that scene in Ep. 11. 

15 years could be about the time that Order 66 was issued. 

Based on Gilroy's comments and the general attitude of the writing, my guess is it's not going to be Jedi, but something far more simple - Luthen carries himself with the air of somebody who is used to power, and wielding said power, and rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was some politician who stood up against Palpatine's rise to power, and then went into pseudo-hiding after shit went down.  Maybe he even tried to help some Jedi escape, but I think it's just far more simple - he stood up in some way.

54 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I think his clientele at his shop is far too exclusive for him to have previously been someone too prominent. Of course, this is Star Wars, so change out your hair and nobody recognizes you.

Trillions of people on Coruscant.  Even if it was just hundreds of billions, his shop veers into being able to be lost in the shuffle.

But yeah , change out the hair and alter the tone of your speech and you’re a new man.

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I think his clientele at his shop is far too exclusive for him to have previously been someone too prominent. Of course, this is Star Wars, so change out your hair and nobody recognizes you.

Or just wait 15 years, and everyone forgets that you ever existed.

10 hours ago, Levi said:

Luthen better not be Jedi, or even force sensitive. 99.9% of the rebellion was done by average Joe’s that were badass. Let these guys have their time in the limelight for a change without any force related stuff. 

This is exactly what Gilroy is doing.

For those who are interested in deep-dives into how he's thinking about the show, his writing process, etc., I HIGHLY recommend listening to the three interviews he did with The Ringer's "The Watch" podcast.  He did one after the initial three episodes aired, one about 3/4 of the way through the season and then one after the finale.  You get like around 2 hours total of Gilroy talking in detail about the show.

He talked over and over again how his interest isn't with the "royal family" (Skywalkers) and more what "ordinary people" have to do to get a Rebellion going.

It's pretty interesting stuff if you have deep interest in this.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

A city with hundreds of billions, or even a trillion people….

jurassic park deal with it GIF

Paging @Scheiss Meister

That would be one massive shit plant.  More likely hundreds of smaller, but still massive to our eyes, shit plants.  We currently use water to transport the wastes, but at that scale water would be inefficient.  Maybe compressed air transports the waste to massive composting facilities.  Incineration would be too wasteful of energy and remove too many nutrients needed to complete the food to waste back to food cycle.

Wastewater technology has evolved as cities have grown and evolved.  It would be fascinating to game that out.  Some of the Surly engineers have seen some ideas, I'm sure.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, closetohumping said:

How is there not more traffic for a planet that big?

it's like 5100+ levels deep with a population of trillions. guessing the lower you go the less likely people are going to other levels or only staying in a few levels around where they live?

"What about Coruscant? Is there unrest here?"
"You must be joking. Go down two thousand levels and you'll find all the unrest you could ever want. Go down four thousand and you might as well be in Wild Space."
Mitth'raw'nuruodo and Wullf Yularen[

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

And where does all their shit go?

you will love this:

Garbage pits on Coruscant were used to relieve the planet of its massive amounts of garbage through a system that launched garbage into deep space.

and:

The garbage worm was a genetically-manufactured creature, and one of Coruscant's most primitive and essential organisms to the garbage handling system. Any trash not packaged for orbital export was mixed with oils to be processed by the garbage worms. They chewed it down to tiny pellets, removing any last bits of organics, plastic, or recoverable metal. They reduced millions of tons of these pellets into carbon dioxide, methane, and other organics.

Thousands, if not millions of worms occupied the garbage level of the city-planet. Their glass-like scales were large and loose, prized by collectors for their glittery quality. The largest worms were up to several hundred meters long and three or four meters wide in diameter. Their bodies had lines of small blue-black eyes.

and from a reddit question from 9 years ago from a person who knows *WAY* too much about this topic - this is probably from legends, so may not officially be cannon now?

Conversely, (and at the heart of your question) many hundreds of billions of tons of waste are processed every day; advanced recycling technology allows everything from plastics, metal, and biological waste to be recovered by conventional means; things less commonly considered recyclable are rendered into a chemical slurry consumed by bio-engineered garbage worms which excrete more easily used pellets of purified elements and basic materials. Titanic amounts of carbon, toxins, and waste-heat are captured by thousands of levitating atmospheric reclamation stations.

Even with these measures a great deal of waste must be shipped off-world. The same freighters that arrive with food leave with credits, high technology... and all the trash they can carry. Materials too hazardous to be transported on normal ships (spent hyperdrive cores, hypermatter reactors, fuel cells, and the like) are instead sent to the thousands of garbage pits distributed through the world's industrial zones. There they are packed into absolutely safe storage canisters and launched into parking orbit where specialized hazardous waste ships take them to long-term disposal sites on other planets or deorbit them into the sun

This is from legends:

Spoiler

The Desrini District was a civic district in the northern hemisphere of the Republic's capital planet of Coruscant, near the CoCo District. In 22 BBY, the entire district was evacuated after a garbage launcher misfired, spreading toxic waste over the area. Forty-eight individuals were killed, with more than 200 injured. Investigations into the matter led to the discovery of a group of squatters who had been living in the canister's launch tube, resulting in the misfire. The district was quarantined while cleanup was under way, and some Coruscanti politicians used the disaster to argue for more regulations on immigration into Coruscant, saying that the unregulated immigration had caused the Desrini District to become overpopulated, forcing the squatters to live in the launch tube. Due to the large amounts of biological toxins released by the disaster, numerous dianogas—large cephalopod scavengers—infested the district, killing at least 25 more residents.

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

He talked over and over again how his interest isn't with the "royal family" (Skywalkers) and more what "ordinary people" have to do to get a Rebellion going.

It's pretty interesting stuff if you have deep interest in this.

the most interesting parts of the universe, from Legends and current Cannon, are the non Skywalker, non Jedi parts.

glad *SOMEONE* finally gets that.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fucking adored this show...god damn! I wish Rogue One was a series similar to this instead of just the (Excellent) movie, imagine the build up and hype if we didnt know the fate of the characters already. Start with this and just keep building up to the Vader hallway scene over 4 seasons. The movie was excellent but I need more of this kind of content and would have loved to spend more time with the characters that were introduced in Rogue One! God I hope they keep building on this, lets see other planets/Universes and get away from the Skywalker saga

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 10:57 PM, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Just finished   Absolutely beautiful.   The best star wars ever created 

I've got two episodes left (finished the prison break episode last night -- and WOW) and I'm going to savor every last minute of them. This show is exquisitely good. You might be on to something about ANDOR being "best Star Wars" ever created.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1