Willow series on Disney+

mdmost

When my kids got dragged down my childhood movie memory lane they enjoyed Willow and have asked to rewatch it. I still enjoy it for what it is. I’d say it still holds up well for your fantasy action with a little bit of 80s wtf special effects-costume dark realism. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I made it 10 minutes in.  Horrible. It feels like it should have been on the CW, between Smallville and One Tree Hill.  Acting is atrocious. The script is on the level of a self produced high school play.  The incontinuity between accents is extremely distracting as well.

I ended up just rewatching the movie.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...

Don't care what anyone says, this was fun and entertaining.  The music was a good touch too. Obviously set up for another season.  

Anyone notice Elora's hair went from blonde to red over the course of the series and nobody said anything about it nor was it ever relevant? Thought that was weird. Both versions of her gave me special boners though so not complaining. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It was pretty bad. It works as the type of background noise you can vacuum your house too. The hair color change seemed to indicate her reconnecting with her identity as a magician or prophesy which is fine. It just missed the mark on explaining shit that didnt need to be explained, and not explaining stuff that should have been. Plus the show is called Willow, but it seems like Kitt/Alora are the central characters.

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2023 at 12:53 PM, YChang said:

Awww man. I quite enjoyed it. 

You just have to be patient - not quite canceled.  From Jon Kasdan - they released the actors to do other stuff this coming year while they work on scripts for the next season, for which there are a shitload of roles they haven't even cast yet.  From comments elsewhere, they won't even be doing much pre-production for the next 6 months or so while everything is setup. 

FrZwHaMakAAL-Hk?format=jpg&name=medium

• Hook 'Em 1

Womp. 

It was a good show. The problem is that people were expecting GoT when that's not really what Willow ever was. Too lighthearted for most I guess. 

I didn’t expect a gritty GOT show. But something with a little less polish, like the movie, with a sense of humor and a focus on adventure.

This one seemed to more focused on each individual finding their true self and values while only incidentally being on a quest which made little sense.

Willow the fraud was a good angle to maintain. Aurora as a cook was fine as well. The lesbian daughter who is full of bluster is fine. The arrogant useless prince as well. The rogue seemed to be the most charismatic actor. The princess’ betrothed is slightly better than the Guard’s protege.

I wanted the show to be better. I could enjoy a light hearted show that was adventurous in the spirit of Indians Jones or a Pirates of the Caribbean (those movies have plot holes, but no one cares because they were fun) but it has to have some thought beyond “we need this to happen because this is our story and we don’t care if it makes sense.”
Heck there is no sense of urgency in the quest as well because it is secondary to the prince discovering himself and his affinity for magic.

• 2 months later...

Holy fucking shit.

Scared Episode 14 GIF by The Simpsons

You have until the 26th of this month to stream it, and then it's gone.  Period. Not showing up on Hulu or somewhere else.  It's one of the newer shows that Disney has decided to yank from streaming so they don't have to keep paying out residuals.

https://gizmodo.com/shows-leaving-disney-plus-hulu-willow-big-show-y-last-m-1850452280