2022 Dallas Mavs Offseason - The search for a rim protector.

RexWilson

Trade won't go through officially until after the draft because of the Stepien rule (can't trade picks in consecutive years). Mavs still owe next year's pick to the Knicks for Porzingis, so this trade will technically go into effect after the Mavs draft a player for the Rockets. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wood has had some nagging injuries over the last 2 years which have taken away some quickness and explosive movements. I'd say he's about 85-90% of his all time peak physically .  His fT% is bad and may be getting worse.   He's only played 222 games in 8 seasons. 

Still , will instantly be the best big man on the Mavs, instantly the best interior player since Roy Tarpley / Tyson Chandler. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The word on Woods according to the Locked On Mavericks guys is that while he's not a good rim protector he is really good on switches. He's a really mobile defender and can hold his own against guards. So this actually bodes well for our defense being at least as good as it was last year post-Porzingis trade. We can play him next to both Maxi and Powell because of his shooting and ability rolling to the basket, so hopefully he comes with it in what will be a contract year for him. 

Theoretically, Westbrook can also play defense when he wants to. Neither one has ever done it with any consistency. Maybe the Dallas locker room and contract year will change everything for Wood though.

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Wood has had some nagging injuries over the last 2 years which have taken away some quickness and explosive movements. I'd say he's about 85-90% of his all time peak physically .  His fT% is bad and may be getting worse.   He's only played 222 games in 8 seasons. 

Still , will instantly be the best big man on the Mavs, instantly the best interior player since Roy Tarpley / Tyson Chandler. 

Why you gotta do Doug smith dirty like that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Theoretically, Westbrook can also play defense when he wants to. Neither one has ever done it with any consistency. Maybe the Dallas locker room and contract year will change everything for Wood though.

Wood's 2022 stats would've led the Mavs in blocks, total rebs, & defensive rebs this year. And as far as the number of teams he's played for I'm not sure that's totally fair for a guy who began his career as a G leaguer. He didn't hit his stride as an NBA player until his last year in Detroit,  If for instance, 2 or 3 years from now, Theo Pinson suddenly developed into a worthwhile asset people lamenting the number of teams he played for would be beyond ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Wood's 2022 stats would've led the Mavs in blocks, total rebs, & defensive rebs this year. And as far as the number of teams he's played for I'm not sure that's totally fair for a guy who began his career as a G leaguer. He didn't hit his stride as an NBA player until his last year in Detroit,  If for instance, 2 or 3 years from now, Theo Pinson suddenly developed into a worthwhile asset people lamenting the number of teams he played for would be beyond ridiculous. 

He puts up stats (which, incidentally, is all he has cared about at this point)

7 hours ago, irishtexan said:

To be fair, what else is there to care about when you’re playing on one of the worst teams in the league?

Chicken or egg, I suppose; he's only played for shitty teams dating back to college, and also has only cared about stats, which is one of the reasons teams keep getting rid of him 

Feel like theres many players that dont blossom until they hit 26 or 27. Golden State just used two guys in the Finals that couldnt stick in the NBA. Gary Payton II and Bjelica. Wiggins was a toxic contract then became something.

Mavs biggest weaknesses were rebounding, having no wings or big men that can create their own easy shots, and rim protection/cleaning up on defense. Wood TBD on defense but he can at least rebound and get some easy baskets. An expiring contract + Mavs gave up nothing

Edited by Loch Ness Monster

18 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Mavs example- Dorian Finney Smith was already 26 years old and not thought to be much. Signed a 3 year $12 million deal in 2019. In February 2022 at nearly 29 years old was now worth 4 years $52 million. If he was a free agent now would be worth even slightly more probably.

He'd worth a lot more than that. He took a team friendly deal. 

• Like 1

The Dallas Mavericks sent Josh Richardson to Boston for Moses Brown and a $10.9 million trade exception last summer. It was the first of now three trades made by Nico Harrison since taking over as Mavs general manager and president of basketball operations. Richardson failed to fit in Dallas, and the team was happy to send him to Boston as they searched for flexibility heading into the offseason.

Fast forward one year, and the trade exception is about to expire. The Mavericks have until June 27 to use it, but doing so is tricky. Dallas has to find a team willing to give them a player making just under $11 million, and the Mavs already dealt their first-round pick to the Rockets in the Christian Wood trade.

Marc Stein shared his latest rumors on Monday morning where he noted the Wood deal leaves Dallas “far less likely” to use their trade exception according to his source. The Mavs want to contend for the title next season, but there are significant salary implications.

Rumors: Dallas Mavericks unlikely to use $10.9 million trade exception

The Mavs are projected to be a luxury tax team before re-signing Jalen Brunson. All signs point to Brunson staying in Dallas, but he is going to receive more than $20 million per season on his new deal. The Mavericks will be deep into the luxury tax after making that move, and they will need to fill at least two other roster spots in free agency.

Dallas could acquire any player making under $10.9 million, but using the full exception would cost them more than $50 million when factoring in the luxury tax penalty. That is a hefty price to pay for any non-superstar player. Owner Mark Cuban is willing to pay the tax, but the Mavericks will not spend the extra money by using the exception.

The Dallas Mavericks may not be done making trades this offseason. Harrison and the front office will be working the phones leading up to and during Thursday’s draft to upgrade their roster. Will they find the right move? Stay tuned to find out.

12 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

Depending on what Houston is trying to accomplish with their draft picks tonight, I could see the Wood trade being modified and an extra team(s) being added to the deal to facilitate multiple moves.

tomorrow night

Hardy was one of the biggest recruits coming out of HS last year but he elected to go pro. Really good scorer with NBA measurables. I haven't followed his g league season but I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. He was considered a future lottery pick this time last year.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Hardy was one of the biggest recruits coming out of HS last year but he elected to go pro. Really good scorer with NBA measurables. I haven't followed his g league season but I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. He was considered a future lottery pick this time last year.

Analysis was he got asked to do too much on ignite this year and will hopefully find his rhythm not having to carry the load. Young with a ton of upside.

Just now, LurkingHorn said:

Is JB seriously going to go to that dumpster fire in NY? They can’t even offer more money. Just a truly odd deal. I love JB, but there’s is no way that will end well for the Knicks or for him. 

They hired his dad as an assistant coach.  I would say they’re all in.

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

They hired his dad as an assistant coach.  I would say they’re all in.

Doesn’t change the fact that they are a dumpster fire and cannot pay more money. JB is a fine player, but he’s not carrying an organization to the playoffs. I really hope we somehow find a way, if this happens, to get our pick back next year. 

1 minute ago, LurkingHorn said:

Doesn’t change the fact that they are a dumpster fire and cannot pay more money. JB is a fine player, but he’s not carrying an organization to the playoffs. I really hope we somehow find a way, if this happens, to get our pick back next year. 

I don’t think I want to be on the hook for $25m/year for Brunson, but the alternative is losing a valuable asset for nothing in return.

Just now, conVINCEd said:

I don’t think I want to be on the hook for $25m/year for Brunson, but the alternative is losing a valuable asset for nothing in return.

The amount we pay him means jack shit. We are in the tax with or without him. Might as well pay what it takes to keep him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It seems like Brunson really wants to be the guy controlling the offense. Kevin O'Connor mentioned Brunson slipped said something to that effect to him earlier this season and his dad basically came out and said it.

On the one hand I get it. Who wouldn't want to be the man?

On the other hand it gives me big Devin Harris vibes. Have fun for a season but your game isn't multifaceted and the league will figure you out real quick if a team is depending on you too much.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 11:33 PM, Loch Ness Monster said:

Was the #4 overall recruit in his class and had a down year. Great gamble.

2nd round picks are nothing

Except when extending a second round pick in January at $13mm per season is seen as a bargain…..however, JB is a rarity. And….

On 6/24/2022 at 7:06 PM, LurkingHorn said:

Is JB seriously going to go to that dumpster fire in NY? They can’t even offer more money. Just a truly odd deal. I love JB, but there’s is no way that will end well for the Knicks or for him. 

Who fucking cares. I like JB as a player but he ought to be the 3rd or 4th option on a good team. If he’s already whining about not controlling the ball, and is unwilling to do a sign/trade solid for the Mavs, I hope we let him walk without countering. Mavs will not repeat to WCF with JB as the 2nd best player. Mavs need a major talent upgrade. We got lucky with a down West, and this roster has first round exit written all over it. 

14 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Except when extending a second round pick in January at $13mm per season is seen as a bargain…..however, JB is a rarity. And….

Who fucking cares. I like JB as a player but he ought to be the 3rd or 4th option on a good team. If he’s already whining about not controlling the ball, and is unwilling to do a sign/trade solid for the Mavs, I hope we let him walk without countering. Mavs will not repeat to WCF with JB as the 2nd best player. Mavs need a major talent upgrade. We got lucky with a down West, and this roster has first round exit written all over it. 

Explain to me how we are going to get a massive talent upgrade when we're already over the cap with or without JB. I'll hang up and listen. 

52 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Explain to me how we are going to get a massive talent upgrade when we're already over the cap with or without JB. I'll hang up and listen. 

No idea. I’m just telling you what we NEED.  A healthy THJ, full season of Dinwiddie, and Wood is already a significant upgrade from what we had last year, even without JB. 

19 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Mavs will not repeat to WCF with JB as the 2nd best player. Mavs need a major talent upgrade. We got lucky with a down West, and this roster has first round exit written all over it. 

Mavs wouldn't have gotten out of the first round if not for JB. Put a little bit of respek on his name, even if he's on his way out of town. He was a great 2nd round draft pick steal and did good work in his time here.

14 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

Mavs wouldn't have gotten out of the first round if not for JB. Put a little bit of respek on his name, even if he's on his way out of town. He was a great 2nd round draft pick steal and did good work in his time here.

Sure. He almost gave back all the money he made in the first half of the Suns series. I repeat, the West was way watered down this year starting in the first round. Luka+Wood+SD+THJ is better than last year’s roster, and it’s not even a debate. Last year’s roster would have to get really lucky to advance past the first round. 

I like JB and think we erred big time not locking him up for $56 mil. However, I wouldn’t pay him now. He needs to walk. 

Most NBA people have Brunson in the 52-70 range as far as NBA players go. It would be unfortunate to lose him for nothing. Not like we are married to him if we can convince him to sign. He's an asset and the alternative is a bag of nothing.

Suspect THJ coming off a major injury will be a 3 & no defense player next season.

Like the Christian Wood trade and hopefully will be a fun piece but he doesn't project to be an Allstar or anything.

Sure. He almost gave back all the money he made in the first half of the Suns series. I repeat, the West was way watered down this year starting in the first round. Luka+Wood+SD+THJ is better than last year’s roster, and it’s not even a debate. Last year’s roster would have to get really lucky to advance past the first round. 
I like JB and think we erred big time not locking him up for $56 mil. However, I wouldn’t pay him now. He needs to walk. 
This is crazy. We're better without JB? Without JB you're playing mismatch basketball. Dinwiddie and THj are 1v1 guys. Other than Luka who's going to create shots for maxi, Bertans, dodo, wood, or Bullock? No one. Your options are playing a 5 out pick and roll with Luka or having dinwiddie and hardaway Junior playing hero ball.

6 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Why would you let him walk? The Mav's are over the cap. It doesn't effect free agent funds and who cares if Cuban has to pay the tax.

10 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
15 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

This is crazy. We're better without JB? Without JB you're playing mismatch basketball. Dinwiddie and THj are 1v1 guys. Other than Luka who's going to create shots for maxi, Bertans, dodo, wood, or Bullock? No one. Your options are playing a 5 out pick and roll with Luka or having dinwiddie and hardaway Junior playing hero ball.

I didn’t say we were better without JB. I said we are a better team with THJ and Wood that without those two and with JB. 

8 hours ago, Patron said:

Why would you let him walk? The Mav's are over the cap. It doesn't effect free agent funds and who cares if Cuban has to pay the tax.

I wouldn’t let him walk but I wouldn’t get into a bidding war with the Knicks even knowing they’re disadvantaged. Because I have a feeling JB can turn cancerous really quickly and is halfway there. He wants to do his own deal - let him. 

Mav’s what?  And, “affect”. 

48 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I didn’t say we were better without JB. I said we are a better team with THJ and Wood that without those two and with JB. 

without a primary distributor in houston christian wood was not efficient.  the hope is he'll come here, play with luka (and hopefully brunson) and that will unlock his next level badge.  if he's hunting his own shots it's going to be ugly.  same with THjr.  even though he's good at getting his own shot, he's at his best when he doesn't have to be the primary scorer on the floor.  for both wood and jr they need that guy on the ball to create better opportunities for them.  gun to my head i'd rather have brunson over wood and thjr.  you think we get out of the utah round if we didn't have brunson and instead had wood and jr?  

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

without a primary distributor in houston christian wood was not efficient.  the hope is he'll come here, play with luka (and hopefully brunson) and that will unlock his next level badge.  if he's hunting his own shots it's going to be ugly.  same with THjr.  even though he's good at getting his own shot, he's at his best when he doesn't have to be the primary scorer on the floor.  for both wood and jr they need that guy on the ball to create better opportunities for them.  gun to my head i'd rather have brunson over wood and thjr.  you think we get out of the utah round if we didn't have brunson and instead had wood and jr?  

In a playoff series Luka is playing serious minutes and distributes better than JB. And in a normal year, the 5th seed isn’t gonna fall apart like Utah. 

9 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

In a playoff series Luka is playing serious minutes and distributes better than JB. And in a normal year, the 5th seed isn’t gonna fall apart like Utah. 

the question isn't luka vs jb. it's whether the team is better with jb or a combo of wood and thjr.  wood/jr couldn't have done what jb did against utah.  and if your opinion is utah was a weak 5th seed how could that combo fare any better against a deeper and more talented team in the future?  

i love JB, but he was done no favors by playoff basketball reffing.  dude was getting knocked around while going to the rim repeatedly and not getting to the line so it allowed some of the bigger defenders on him to negate his quickness advantage or allowed help to get there and use contact to thwart the shot.  That said, let's get him signed because we would be a worse team without him.

I like him but he was pretty inconsistent. I don't think his playoff run is worth that kind of money. Of course I only say that if we can spend it usefully elsewhere. I don't give a shit about saving Mark Cuban money, I care about using the salary cap efficiently.