2022 Dallas Mavs Offseason - The search for a rim protector.

RexWilson

On 6/4/2022 at 8:24 AM, Loch Ness Monster said:

Upgrading Powell is the one realistic thing the Mavs can do over the next 7 or 8 months. Throwing Brunson away right now just doesn't seem smart. Unrealistic we would replace him with an All-Star this offseason. Swapping JB out for someone better in the next couple of months seems like Mavs fans that would always get excited by "cap space" every offseason. 

And since Mark Cuban bought the team, they have rarely just 'ran it back'. The only times the really tried just running it back was after the '06 Finals, and that team won 67 games the next year. Just may take until near the All-Star break to make a trade.

Walked away from Steve Nash, Michael Finley, Antawn Jameson, Antoine Walker, Devin Harris, Josh Howard, Tyson Chandler, OJ Mayo, Monta Ellis, Rajon Rondo, Chandler Parsons, Wes Mathews, Harrison Barnes, Kristaps Porzingis. 

All of those players sans Nash and maybe Finley and Jamison were guys they should’ve walked away from, no question. Too often Cuban doesn’t do enough to retain players and can’t attract top flight FAs (both of these have to do with the Frankenstein weirdo that Cuban is). 

Edited by Porterhouse

On 6/1/2022 at 4:53 PM, Porterhouse said:

I’m of the opinion we need BOTH a legit 2nd scoring option and All-Star that can play 3 in a big lineup and 4 in a smaller lineup. AND a Gobert type. Frankly anything less will be a failed offseason. 

This is the same type of thing I keep hearing from Mavs fans that don't take a look at current locked in contracts, cap space, free agent availability, etc.  This is certainly the "offseason expectation" for many but I don't see how it's realistic this summer. 

52 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Outside of Miami, LA, and NJ there aren't too many cities attracting the tier A free agents every team wants.

Even teams like Boston and Golden State built their core through the draft. Luka was a grand slam. Found Brunson. Josh Green looking like a whiff unless he improves on offense.

If Josh Green doesn't play Summer League than I would suspect his time here is going to be short. It's very odd they didn't try to give him minutes last summer. Dude needs minutes in actual basketball games. 

31 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This is the same type of thing I keep hearing from Mavs fans that don't take a look at current locked in contracts, cap space, free agent availability, etc.  This is certainly the "offseason expectation" for many but I don't see how it's realistic this summer. 

I don’t study it and don’t care to. I’m just saying personnel-wise, that is what is needed, even if not doable. The Kemp angle of “don’t meddle too much; they are bound to improve” isn’t reality or close to it. 

55 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I don’t study it and don’t care to. I’m just saying personnel-wise, that is what is needed, even if not doable. The Kemp angle of “don’t meddle too much; they are bound to improve” isn’t reality or close to it. 

Well if you studied it you would see it's incredibly unrealistic.  At least this offseason.  A big trade deadline deal seems more likely.  Feel like we need to rehabilitate THJ before we can get the right value for him.  And not just bashing you -  it just drives me crazy when Mavs fans in general somehow expect we're going to end up with 3 all stars on our roster by the end of July and consider anything else a failure when taking into account (i) the current free agency market, (ii) existing contracts that are not easy to move and (iii) cap space.   Like everyone I hope Nico can pull a rabbit out of the hat but I think turning this roster into a championship roster is realistically a multi-year strategy.  Getting rid of the Porzingis contract was just step 1 and I don't think anyone expected that would result in the run we had (which just raised expectations).

Just now, LurkingHorn said:

I don't understand what Houston is doing here. Can someone explain it to me? Do they just really want another pick that bad and wanted to get something for Wood while they could?

Young bigs that they want to give minutes to and an extra pick to move up. Surprised it's the best deal they had available but Wood has some attitude and offcourt issues as well. Easy gamble for the Mavs and seems easier to package him and some other expirings mid-season if it doesnt work out 

7 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I don't understand what Houston is doing here. Can someone explain it to me? Do they just really want another pick that bad and wanted to get something for Wood while they could?

He’s not part of our future rebuilding and probably asked to be traded. Good trade for the mavs. 

• Like 1

Cautiously optimistic. Rockets fans are thrilled to dump him, even though they got very little in return. He's been on 7 teams in 7 years. But I wonder how much of his attitude issues are playing on a team that sucks shit through a straw every night. I just hope the Mavs wait to see if he gels with the team before extending him.

• Hook 'Em 3

For Dallas, I think this move helps in the regular season more than in the (deep) postseason. In the (deep) postseason, I struggle to see him playing on defense for the high leverage minutes, and think he'd be more of a second unit guy who helps you tread water until Luka comes back in the game

And for what Dallas gave up, this is all fine. If he shows that he can actually stay on the court for the important minutes late in the playoffs, then Dallas can extend him. If not, they gave up a late first for a guy who helps for a one year championship campaign

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Apparently it was an attitude thing with Wood. They wanted to unload him and the Mavs stepped up. Dinwiddie also was rumored to be a locker room issue but then he started to win.

Winning usually cures any of the locker room issue guys. In any sport. Being in a losing culture takes it toll on some players.

This was a great trade. Filled a need and gave up nada.

• Hook 'Em 1

Odd that a Houston fan in other thread is trying to somehow compare this to Parsons as a big mistake for the Mavs.  We signed Parsons to a 3 year deal.   This is an expiring contract.   WTF.  I mean if we extended him I would certainly question that as well but this is an extremely low risk move really only giving up a late first in a weak draft.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am guessing there would be mutual interest in trying to bring Boban back. He loves Dallas, fan favorite, and Luka's buddy. If Houston cuts him, he cannot resign with Dallas. If Houston trades him, that team cuts him, he can resign with Dallas.

2 hours ago, Fud said:

For Dallas, I think this move helps in the regular season more than in the (deep) postseason. In the (deep) postseason, I struggle to see him playing on defense for the high leverage minutes, and think he'd be more of a second unit guy who helps you tread water until Luka comes back in the game

And for what Dallas gave up, this is all fine. If he shows that he can actually stay on the court for the important minutes late in the playoffs, then Dallas can extend him. If not, they gave up a late first for a guy who helps for a one year championship campaign

The word on Woods according to the Locked On Mavericks guys is that while he's not a good rim protector he is really good on switches. He's a really mobile defender and can hold his own against guards. So this actually bodes well for our defense being at least as good as it was last year post-Porzingis trade. We can play him next to both Maxi and Powell because of his shooting and ability rolling to the basket, so hopefully he comes with it in what will be a contract year for him. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

Odd that a Houston fan in other thread is trying to somehow compare this to Parsons as a big mistake for the Mavs.  We signed Parsons to a 3 year deal.   This is an expiring contract.   WTF.  I mean if we extended him I would certainly question that as well but this is an extremely low risk move really only giving up a late first in a weak draft.

U forget how butthurt that fan base is
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1