2022 Dallas Mavs Offseason - The search for a rim protector.

RexWilson

Make no mistake, this is an absolute kick in the nuts if they don't somehow get our 1st round pick back from NY next year. Letting an asset walk for nothing is bad business, even if you don't think he's worth the money. This was a Donnie special. Find a diamond in the rough, don't lock him up for cheap when you could have, and now he's gone for nothing. I think we pretty have have to get Dragic now. It's the only way to take some of the sting out of it. 

• Fuck You 1

This is not going to end well for either party. I can’t believe the Knicks’s big off-season move is to gut their roster for Brunson. I also can’t believe Brunson is going to take less money and years to play with his dad who is likely going to be fired in two seasons when the next coach is hired. 

• Fuck You 1

I like Brunson aight as a backup point or 3rd option, but for how hard the knicks have pursued I can’t help but be turned off. Had it been the warriors then I’d be an even bigger fan of him but knicks makes me think he’ll never headline. 

13 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Welp. Ok. Come on down Goran. Who else do we go after? Porter Jr? Malik monk? Nurkic? Interesting to see how we prioritize Turner or Bamba now.

Turner or Bamba?  Why?

11 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Lesson from the past two season: Cuban’s final thoughts on the season mean jack shit. Last year he sad Carlisle was absolutely going to be the coach and this year he said they were signing JB. Dude needs to shut his trap. 

He will never shut his trap. He is just as bad as Jerry Jones. I wish people would realize that. 

57 minutes ago, bluto said:

I like Brunson aight as a backup point or 3rd option, but for how hard the knicks have pursued I can’t help but be turned off. Had it been the warriors then I’d be an even bigger fan of him but knicks makes me think he’ll never headline. 

Exactly this. JB is Devin Harris reincarnated. He’s got a chip on his shoulder because of the draft and because the Mavs didn’t sign him. Whatever. I agree with Vic he doesn’t mesh with Luka and never will, agree with you he’d be a good third option (at best), and am totally turned off he’s running to the biggest laughingstock to be the guy. Fuck him, and hope we didn’t try and resign him. 

I do not see how this cannot be considered tampering. The Knicks sent front office staff to the playoff games, hiring Rick Brunson, now all these moves made and in place with financial numbers worked out. I know the league has often turned a blind eye but this seems extreme.

That said, not salty he is leaving. He had a good playoffs but I dont think he is worth this much money.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

We've been connected to those two for a while now. They were the most talked about names (along with gobert even after the wood trade) until this brunson drama flared up.

I doubt the Mavs are interested in either of them with Wood. I’ve heard nothing that connects the Mavs to them. 

Edited by Porterhouse

2 hours ago, RexWilson said:

I do not see how this cannot be considered tampering. The Knicks sent front office staff to the playoff games, hiring Rick Brunson, now all these moves made and in place with financial numbers worked out. I know the league has often turned a blind eye but this seems extreme.

That said, not salty he is leaving. He had a good playoffs but I dont think he is worth this much money.

pretty sure someone could post a video of themselves tampering to twitter and nothing would happen.  but yeah, heard on the radio that it may be known that the Mavs could not even match but would have to make much higher bid to keep him. 

Is Mo Bamba actually good? 

I feel the Mavs got a little unlucky one of like five teams with cap space went full regard over Brunson

4 years / 110 million which is around 14th best PG in the NBA money. Not terrible I guess but the Knicks shoving all their chips in the middle for the 8 seed or so in their conference is pure Knicks.

comparing bamba and gobert-  stats from their 4th seasons in the league. 

image.thumb.png.f4cc61f703c50aa9efc098d5d20328ed.png

rudy's more efficient overall on offense but bamba can stretch the floor.  bamba's not a great defender -  he's a decent enough rim protector but his team defense is lacking though i think that's something jkidd can improve.  i'd want him for something like $9/yr but i think there could be a bidding war taking him closer to $15. 

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

You mean Wood? If so, I agree. No need to go reaching for another big at this point. 

Yep. I don’t get what gsoda is talking about. Bamba and Turner are the last things they’re even looking at. In fact Turner came up today on the Ticket and Jake and Demaris immediately dismissed it - because of Wood. Mo Bamba?  Lulz, no thanks. 

10 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Cuban got so lucky with Dirk and Luka Doncic

I really think not resigning Brunson will be like Cubans FU to Steve Nash. Obviously JB will never be the same player as an MVP but pay him!! Don't lose assets for absolutely nothing.

One thing that still hasn't been explained is why did Dallas give Brunson a rookie contract that never called for restricted status. Now the Ticket (mainly Jake) has alluded to it being some sort of altruism of sorts because Brunson should've been a 1st round pick,  but I'm calling bullshit.  Everything about the Mavs and Mark Cuban's history tells me he wanted to lessen Brunson's future cap hold in hopes of having cap space in attracting a future free agent. Once again Mark's irrational need to hit a home run in free agency fucks us in the end.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Rage+1 1

The irony in all this is we're ultimately losing Jalen because of Luka's freak calf strain in the last game of the fucking season.  Without Luka's injury Jalen never blows up against the Jazz and probably resigns with us for somewhere in the neighborhood of Hardaway's contract.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Yep. I don’t get what gsoda is talking about. Bamba and Turner are the last things they’re even looking at. In fact Turner came up today on the Ticket and Jake and Demaris immediately dismissed it - because of Wood. Mo Bamba?  Lulz, no thanks. 
You're good rolling out with Dwight, maxi, and wood as your centers for the entire season? Don't forget wood is on an expiring contract we might try to unload halfway through. We need one more. Bamba, hartenstein, Turner. In that order. I haven't heard us connected to hartenstein though.

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The irony in all this is we're ultimately losing Jalen because of Luka's freak calf strain in the last game of the fucking season.  Without Luka's injury Jalen never blows up against the Jazz and probably resigns with us for somewhere in the neighborhood of Hardaway's contract.  

This group is forgetting JB’s awful first two games against the Suns. We are not losing an All-Star. We are losing a good player. We have already replaced him with a better one in Wood and will be better on D without him. 

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
17 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

You're good rolling out with Dwight, maxi, and wood as your centers for the entire season? Don't forget wood is on an expiring contract we might try to unload halfway through. We need one more. Bamba, hartenstein, Turner. In that order. I haven't heard us connected to hartenstein though.

Actually no. I want Powell gone immediately. 

18 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

This group is forgetting JB’s awful first two games against the Suns. We are not losing an All-Star. We are losing a good player. We have already replaced him with a better one in Wood and will be better on D without him. 

Actually no. I want Powell gone immediately. 

I think most people are lamenting the fact that we're losing an asset free of charge rather than the fact that we're losing Jalen Brunson the basketball player. We hit on our draft picks so infrequently that it really hurts when we finally hit on a 2nd rounder only to lose him 4 years later with absolutely nothing in return. 

• Like 1