Britney Griner

Baboontyme

I’m sure after Putin hears from the mad and angry Americans through tik tok he will change his mind and let her go.

I had a feeling he was gonna laugh and wipe his ass with our predictable prisoner swap proposal.

He doesn’t give a shit if viktor bout is back in Russia. Whatever social Justice groups puts the most pressure on the Biden administration back here, putin is all for.

It's almost as if the Government puts out those travel restrictions/warnings for a reason. If you think you're above the law, fuck around and find out.

We are going to end up swapping a known arms dealer to allow Griner to get out. I hope she can live with the deaths of everyone in the Ukraine who dies as a result of her arrogance. 

• Hook 'Em 4

she's been above the law her entire life.l, both for being a star athlete as well as a woman. she still didn't understand that, generally, rules, laws, and their consequences apply to everyone, no matter how good you are at blocking shots in the wnba. she's known to have a terrible attitude and to be a violent person, and yet, again, because of her profession/gender, she's never received more than a slap on the wrist or truly been held accountable for her bullshit. all of this to the point where she decided that bringing drugs into russia was no big deal.

i do feel bad for her, and for everyone else like her. don't get me wrong, my heart doesn't just break for her, but i've known plenty of people who'd spent their entire lives above the law and ended up paying dearly for it. i was friends with Erik Hardeman, and especially close with Antwan Cobb, and despite their flaws both are pretty great guys. and yet one got kicked out of UT weeks before completing his course load which would have seen him graduate, while the other one is still in prison where he's been since 2003, and where he'll stay until ~2036, assuming he stays on his p's and q's. as an adult, you're held accountable for your actions, but damn it if i can't totally understand how people who spend they're entire lives being given special treatment can end up fucking their entire life up in their 20's.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

What a parody of the human condition Russia is ... and probably always has been.

There aren't really any good governments but, geez, the Russkies seem intent on setting the bar when it comes to the shittiest.

I can think of probably two dozen African governments that are worse and more corrupt. Less relevant, but definitively worse. This is why you never to to Africa except select countries, and why you never visit Russia. I feel bad for her, but, meh. 

5 hours ago, Cornpop said:

Hardeman was an unbelievable waste of talent

no lie, every si gel time i've spoken to guy who was at UT with Erik, not only have they all universally just effusively talked about how good he was, but i've had multiple guys on different occasions say that Erik was better as a true freshman than Ced Benson was. and honestly, for me, as unbelievable as that sounds, i do know that Erik had some issues with some of his more senior teammates because of the way he would brazenly just talk shit about how cold he was and how they all knew it too. was he actually better than Ced B his redshirt year? i don't know. but talk to anyone from Texas who played with him and they'll tell you how talented he was. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1. I feel really bad for her.  It was dumb to go to Russia when she did, and to have anything that would give them an excuse, but she’s obviously getting railroaded here and potentially awaiting a terrible fate.
2. We shouldn’t trade notorious arms dealers for her release, nor prioritize her above other Americans being unjustly held prisoner abroad.
3. I saw an article today where the hot take was that this situation sheds light on the real problem … which is that WNBA players “only” make $200,000 and are therefore forced to play basketball in rogue states whereas NBA players make as much as $20,000,000 (note: the article was clearly written by someone who is not aware that Russell Westbrook and John Wall make like $50,000,000 per year only for teams to try to give them away).  So, we can expect very grounded and thoughtful media coverage of this, obviously.  

I saw a tweet where people have seen more footage of griner in her cell block than they did of her on the court
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

For carrying a tiny amount like she did? Zero point Zero.

My two seconds of googling found this guy in Mississippi doing life for an ounce and a half.

https://reason.com/2021/05/13/this-38-year-old-man-will-spend-life-in-prison-over-1-5-ounces-of-marijuana/

Former Vet sentenced to life in Louisiana for less than $30 worth of weed.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/08/us/man-freed-life-sentence-marijuana-trnd/index.html

For the record, your presumption is incalculably wrong at both the federal and state level. As a regular smoker who thankfully now lives in a legalized state, I view going into the deep south states with weed equal to going to Russia. You're putting your life in the hands of ignorant people handing down draconian sentences with zero justice being served. She was convicted for smuggling with criminal intent (trafficking) for what is reported as a single vape cartridge. Our jails are bursting to the brim with those sentenced to equally bullshit trumped up charges. There is no high ground for this country or its populace as its been the #1 pusher (pun intended) of the War on Drugs. She can thank America for the hysteria around a plant.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

My two seconds of googling found this guy in Mississippi doing life for an ounce and a half.

https://reason.com/2021/05/13/this-38-year-old-man-will-spend-life-in-prison-over-1-5-ounces-of-marijuana/

Former Vet sentenced to life in Louisiana for less than $30 worth of weed.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/08/us/man-freed-life-sentence-marijuana-trnd/index.html

For the record, your presumption is incalculably wrong at both the federal and state level. As a regular smoker who thankfully now lives in a legalized state, I view going into the deep south states with weed equal to going to Russia. You're putting your life in the hands of ignorant people handing down draconian sentences with zero justice being served. She was convicted for smuggling with criminal intent (trafficking) for what is reported as a single vape cartridge. Our jails are bursting to the brim with those sentenced to equally bullshit trumped up charges. There is no high ground for this country or its populace as its been the #1 pusher (pun intended) of the War on Drugs. She can thank America for the hysteria around a plant.

Yeah but how good are they are basketball?

34 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Yeah but how good are they are basketball?

People given draconian sentences in the United States for marijuana?

I feel quite comfortable in thinking I could put together a dominating squad of HOF caliber players from that pool.

Edited by Herpa Derpa

Honestly I don't feel sorry for her.  It's the same with the kid who got killed in North Korea and the dude who got arrested in Iran.  Don't fucking go.  Everytime I've been overseas whether with the military, work, or pleasure I figure out what are the consequences for doing stupid shit.  Her entire defense was based on American law.  That's the privilege we see as American passport holders that get people in trouble.  The state department can't help you.  If you go to a Thai prison for heroin guess what.  You're shit out of luck.

On 8/4/2022 at 10:54 PM, longhornmatt said:

I saw an article today where the hot take was that this situation sheds light on the real problem … which is that WNBA players “only” make $200,000 and are therefore forced to play basketball in rogue states

Anyone saying that is just pushing an agenda. That's not an actual argument that any intelligent person should take seriously. 

Plus - Griner is super famous for a WNBA player. She's making plenty of dough off the court. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Anyone saying that is just pushing an agenda. That's not an actual argument that any intelligent person should take seriously. 

Plus - Griner is super famous for a WNBA player. She's making plenty of dough off the court. 

You really think she's making much money off the court on endorsements? I doubt it.

And yes the argument that WNBA players don't make enough and are "forced" to travel oversees to supplement their income has been circulating on national media. Boo hoo

Edited by Cornpop
  • Like 1