Britney Griner

Baboontyme

On 7/5/2022 at 3:25 PM, Porterhouse said:

I also wouldn’t ever go to Brazil if you paid me copious amounts but don’t want to offend Swayze, because he turns into an angry elf often. 

You are the absolute cutest little Rex.  When I am down in Brazil at the end of the month I will be sure to let the country know you won't be visiting.  They will be heartbroken.

On 7/7/2022 at 2:58 PM, 52-80 said:

C.S.B. I met an Egyptian colleague during a business trip to Brazil.  Dude whipped out a joint.  Asked where he got it from - answer: snuck it in a shampoo bottle.

The temerity to smuggle drugs from a conservative Muslim country, on a work trip, to a place where its easy as hell to find... just completely floored me.

A little over 10 years ago the Jiu Jitsu team I was part of went to train at the headquarters in Rio.  One of best guys on the mat was this young Turk who also was a huge pothead.  He told me he had brought some tincture with him.  Haha, what the fuck are you thinking man??  He had filled a bottle of eyedrops with it.  I thought it was such a ridiculous move. 

Before a team dinner at a churrascaria we went down to Ipanema and bought a couple of cokes and he loaded them up.  Still the absolute strongest experience I ever had.

On 7/7/2022 at 10:55 PM, SL Xpress said:

I don’t know if I’m a part of the victim brigade or not. I think she’s in a shitty situation, along with Paul Whelan and Marc Fogel, that’s borne more out of Russia’s desire to collect chits to use in negotiations with the US as well as to demonstrate to everyone internally and externally who has the real power in Russia (it ain’t the oligarchs, except in cases where they’re also high ranking state security) than to enforce its own laws. 

I have no sympathy for WNBA player salaries, which is already subsidized above market value by the NBA and the force feeding of TV coverage with ratings below what other content with equal or less exposure receive. 

I’m a huge women’s volleyball fan, almost exclusively due to UT’s success in the sport, and you see a similar dynamic in that community. A metaphorical “think of the children” dynamic that top US volleyball players are “forced” to play overseas to earn a living wage. To me they should be grateful there’s somewhere people are willing to pay to watch them play, even if it’s not the US. There’s not a pro volleyball league paying a living wage in the US because there’s not an audience for it.

The WNBA players are able to earn a high salary compared to other industries. Comparing them to what the men make is a false dichotomy. If we paid people based on the level of effort a job required tenant farm workers would be our new billionaires. That’s not how a sustainable economy operates. That’s not about capitalism. That’s true of an ancient barter system. There has to be perceived worth involved. 

As far as Griner and the other US hostages, there’s a wide range of actions the US can pursue, from absolutely nothing to stopping the shipment of military equipment to Ukraine and lifting the embargoes to achieve their return. Something in between those two seems to be the correct option, but where it falls on the spectrum is a political choice of the Biden administration and won’t be settled on this board, or by a multitude of change.org postings. 

But talking about how stupid she is and how much she deserves this is simply about making yourself feel like a better person because you didn’t travel to Russia with a vape cartridge. 

She isn't a hostage and she was stupid AND she does deserve whatever the standard penalty is for that offense in Russia. She fucking knew better and that's really all there is to it. She will get out when she has served her time.  Or we could trade her for Lebron. I would be ok with that

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

12 minutes ago, Cornpop said:

She isn't a hostage and she was stupid AND she does deserve whatever the standard penalty is for that offense in Russia. She fucking knew better and that's really all there is to it. She will get out when she has served her time.  Or we could trade her for Lebron. I would be ok with that

Lulz on “standard penalty”. It’s a sliding scale bro, and there’s but one arbiter

Just now, Degenerate Gardner said:

Lulz on “standard penalty”. It’s a sliding scale bro, and there’s but one arbiter

I didn't say there wasn't, Forrest. Let me try again just for you. Whatever sentence any average regular person in Russia would get, that's what she should get.  No more, no less. 

7 hours ago, Cornpop said:

This whole thing has become another example of the polarization of this country. You’re either part of a tribe that says, “fuck her, let her rot in jail for 10 years for pleading guilty under duress to an intent to distribute charge. It’s obvious she was carrying less than a gram of THC in a vape cartridge because she wanted to become the new Russian El Chapo. It’s ridiculous anything special is even being done for her.”

Or, “nothing is more important to the conscience of this country than our precious Britney. We should be willing to give up our sovereignty if that’s what it takes to get her out of there. What is Biden doing? If this was Stephon Curry you know he’d be out already.”

It’s just more virtue signaling. Someone’s position on this issue has become another short hand for where they stand on a whole phalanx of issues. 

It’s a bummer people can’t seem to take middle grounds any more. She doesn’t deserve the treatment she’s getting. But neither does Paul Whelan. And a message for the kids at home. Don’t go to Russia. It’s not a safe country for Americans. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

This whole thing has become another example of the polarization of this country. You’re either part of a tribe that says, “fuck her, let her rot in jail for 10 years for pleading guilty under duress to an intent to distribute charge. It’s obvious she was carrying less than a gram of THC in a vape cartridge because she wanted to become the new Russian El Chapo. It’s ridiculous anything special is even being done for her.”

Or, “nothing is more important to the conscience of this country than our precious Britney. We should be willing to give up our sovereignty if that’s what it takes to get her out of there. What is Biden doing? If this was Stephon Curry you know he’d be out already.”

It’s just more virtue signaling. Someone’s position on this issue has become another short hand for where they stand on a whole phalanx of issues. 

It’s a bummer people can’t seem to take middle grounds any more. She doesn’t deserve the treatment she’s getting. But neither does Paul Whelan. And a message for the kids at home. Don’t go to Russia. It’s not a safe country for Americans. 

I'm a registered independent and my opinion on this has nothing to do with my politics. I'm pro marijuana/thc but I also think the law should be applied fairly, regardless of your celebrity status. All of the hypotheticals proposed in this thread are frankly stupid.

As a regular traveler to Russia, she knew the law regarding vape cartridges and she chose to take the risk and she came up on the wrong end. I don't think she should be used as a political tool for Putin, but rather be treated like anyone else. 

Manufactured products containing thc are a felony here in most of the US, and unless you don't consider a felony to be big deal you should be very careful about transporting them. I have an acquaintance(white chick) on 5+ years felony probation for a single thc vape pen that was found in her car on a routine traffic stop. She fucked around and found out just like Britney Griner did.

Edited by Cornpop
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Cornpop said:

I'm a registered independent and my opinion on this has nothing to do with my politics. I'm pro marijuana/thc but I also think the law should be applied fairly, regardless of your celebrity status. All of the hypotheticals proposed in this thread are frankly stupid.

As a regular traveler to Russia, she knew the law regarding vape cartridges and she chose to take the risk and she came up on the wrong end. I don't think she should be used as a political tool for Putin, but rather be treated like anyone else. 

Manufactured products containing thc are a felony here in most of the US, and unless you don't consider a felony to be big deal you should be very careful about transporting them. I have an acquaintance(white chick) on 5+ years felony probation for a single thc vape pen that was found in her car on a routine traffic stop. She fucked around and found out just like Britney Griner did.

So your friend with the 5+ years felony probation is the equivalent of Griner being charged with intent to distribute and given 10 years in prison?

"I don't think she should be used as a political tool for Putin, but rather be treated like anyone else."

So which is it? Is she being treated as a political tool, or is she being treated like everyone else?

48 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

So your friend with the 5+ years felony probation is the equivalent of Griner being charged with intent to distribute and given 10 years in prison?

"I don't think she should be used as a political tool for Putin, but rather be treated like anyone else."

So which is it? Is she being treated as a political tool, or is she being treated like everyone else?

Of course these are trumped up bullshit charges, but Putin would use any other American caught with a THC vape pen as a political tool.  So yeah, she's being treated like anyone else; anyone else defined as any other high profile American caught in Russia with drugs right before the country became a Western pariah.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I guess you're not even trying to understand what I'm saying. I don't think BG should be treated ANY differently than anyone else would be. So if her charges have been unfairly upgraded, then no I don't agree with that. I was countering the group-think that what she did is "no big deal" or that she "wouldn't be charged with a serious crime" in the US. Again, in most of the United States, what she did is a felony.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Cornpop said:

I guess you're not even trying to understand what I'm saying. I don't think BG should be treated ANY differently than anyone else would be. So if her charges have been unfairly upgraded, then no I don't agree with that. I was countering the group-think that what she did is "no big deal" or that she "wouldn't be charged with a serious crime" in the US. Again, in most of the United States, what she did is a felony.

Well, you were replying to me, which is the only reason I came back to this thread. She shouldn't have traveled with the vape cartridge. She also shouldn't have been charged with intent to distribute. The US should make all reasonable attempts to get her home, although I'm uncertain as to what reasonable entails. I know it doesn't mean every option is on the table. It also doesn't mean she should be allowed to rot in jail with no effort at securing her release.

6 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

True. She fucked around and found out, and, I hope she’s released. I don’t celebrate her incarceration. 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Well, you were replying to me, which is the only reason I came back to this thread. She shouldn't have traveled with the vape cartridge. She also shouldn't have been charged with intent to distribute. The US should make all reasonable attempts to get her home, although I'm uncertain as to what reasonable entails. I know it doesn't mean every option is on the table. It also doesn't mean she should be allowed to rot in jail with no effort at securing her release.

I'm not disagreeing with you that she shouldn't be overcharged, if that's the case. And I don't know what the criteria is for charging someone with intent to distribute in Russia. If she only had a single vape pen/cartidge, then yes that seems ridiculous. I'm also not saying she should rot in jail. She should be treated fairly as per the laws of the land in which she committed the crime, period.

Edited by Cornpop
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Cornpop said:

I'm not disagreeing with you that she should be overcharged, if that's the case. I'm also not saying she should rot in jail. She should be treated fairly as per the laws of the land in which she committed the crime, period.

So how do you go about categorizing that in Russia, where there is no rule of law? Less than 2% of charges are unsuccessfully prosecuted. It’s a justice system in name only. There is no such thing as being treated fairly in Russia. There’s only having connections, and hoping those connections have enough juice. And if Putin decrees something then it doesn’t matter how many people disagree. 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

So how do you go about categorizing that in Russia, where there is no rule of law? Less than 2% of charges are unsuccessfully prosecuted. It’s a justice system in name only. There is no such thing as being treated fairly in Russia. There’s only having connections, and hoping those connections have enough juice. And if Putin decrees something then it doesn’t matter how many people disagree. 

How do I go about what? Sorry bro, I'm not trying to argue the merits of the Russian legal system with you or anyone else

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

That’s probably a conversation for before someone takes a job in Russia. 

7 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I think most people are in the middle. Yeah she made a mistake, but she's very clearly being held and overcharged for political purposes. Nobody should be okay with that, we know why some people are relishing though, full cr.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Cornpop said:

How do I go about what? Sorry bro, I'm not trying to argue the merits of the Russian legal system with you or anyone else

"She should be treated fairly as per the laws of the land in which she committed the crime, period."

Which is it?

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

That’s probably a conversation for before someone takes a job in Russia. 

Yeah, I've never been a fan of doing business with Russia unless you have extreme leverage. I remember in the 90s going to several investor meetings where some peers were trying to convince us about the business opportunities in Russia. I told them then the Yeltsin government is a classic Weimar Republic going on, and that there's no way democracy, capitalism, and rule of law take effect without some kind of long term military occupation like what happened in Germany and Japan. I also hosted some judges from eastern Russia on two separate occasions who came over as part of a Rotary exchange to talk with local judiciary - JPs, District judges, etc., to get an understanding of how to operate an actual justice system. The naivete regarding the future of their country was quaint. But as much as the place makes me nervous, it's on a different level while they're invading a neighboring country and the West is fighting a proxy war with them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Yeah, I've never been a fan of doing business with Russia unless you have extreme leverage. I remember in the 90s going to several investor meetings where some peers were trying to convince us about the business opportunities in Russia. I told them then the Yeltsin government is a classic Weimar Republic going on, and that there's no way democracy, capitalism, and rule of law take effect without some kind of long term military occupation like what happened in Germany and Japan. I also hosted some judges from eastern Russia on two separate occasions who came over as part of a Rotary exchange to talk with local judiciary - JPs, District judges, etc., to get an understanding of how to operate an actual justice system. The naivete regarding the future of their country was quaint. But as much as the place makes me nervous, it's on a different level while they're invading a neighboring country and the West is fighting a proxy war with them. 

My ex-DIL’s dad went into partnership with 2 other Americans to start some kind of enterprise in Russia about 25 years ago. The business boomed for a couple of years, then his two partners bought him out in a more or less forced deal. He walked away with about $8 million profit. 
I bet he is happy about it now.

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My ex-DIL’s dad went into partnership with 2 other Americans to start some kind of enterprise in Russia about 25 years ago. The business boomed for a couple of years, then his two partners bought him out in a more or less forced deal. He walked away with about $8 million profit. 
I bet he is happy about it now.

I bet he is, too.

Hell, plenty of risky ventures do exceptionally well. Russia scares me in a different way than other risky ventures, though. It starts with them having a vast nuclear arsenal, then you look at the history of their country, and it just goes downhill from there. 

21 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

You are the absolute cutest little Rex.  When I am down in Brazil at the end of the month I will be sure to let the country know you won't be visiting.  They will be heartbroken.

A little over 10 years ago the Jiu Jitsu team I was part of went to train at the headquarters in Rio.  One of best guys on the mat was this young Turk who also was a huge pothead.  He told me he had brought some tincture with him.  Haha, what the fuck are you thinking man??  He had filled a bottle of eyedrops with it.  I thought it was such a ridiculous move. 

Before a team dinner at a churrascaria we went down to Ipanema and bought a couple of cokes and he loaded them up.  Still the absolute strongest experience I ever had.

That is a pretty ridiculous move. Almost as ridiculous as the dorkiest humble brag story I’ve ever heard. I’m sure it sounded cool in your head before you typed the words. 

7 hours ago, Cornpop said:

I was countering the group-think that what she did is "no big deal" or that she "wouldn't be charged with a serious crime" in the US. Again, in most of the United States, what she did is a felony.

"Most" is a loose term here. And as has already been covered - she could have done the same thing anywhere in Texas and I'm guessing wouldn't have spent a day behind bars. There's plenty of shit on the books that is never enforced as such. Marijuana laws are a great example. 

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Goddamn you are dumb.

How do you have time to respond to me?  You ought to be training at your Rio HQ jiu jitsu club team and searching for white coworkers to demonize. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

"Most" is a loose term here. And as has already been covered - she could have done the same thing anywhere in Texas and I'm guessing wouldn't have spent a day behind bars. There's plenty of shit on the books that is never enforced as such. Marijuana laws are a great example. 

Wrong. It's a felony in Texas. I have a friend on felony probation for one thc vape pen/cartridge 

2 hours ago, Gidnik said:

if youre too stupid to check on the laws of the nation you are going to, you kind of deserve what you get.  

This

11 minutes ago, Cornpop said:

Wrong. It's a felony in Texas. I have a friend on felony probation for one thc vape pen/cartridge 

This

When did your friend get popped and which county was it in?

Also - sounds like your friend isn't in prison. 

27 minutes ago, ztejas said:

When did your friend get popped and which county was it in?

Also - sounds like your friend isn't in prison. 

I don't know when exactly but within the past year in Smith County. She got 5 years felony probation no jail time because she had no priors

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Does anyone think putin might reject this deal since we offered it first? I can see him saying “nah we’ll keep her for the next 2 decades, you can have him”

I thought they put it out first that they wanted Bout. 

On 7/15/2022 at 7:01 PM, Gidnik said:

if youre too stupid to check on the laws of the nation you are going to, you kind of deserve what you get.  

I mean she’s been playing there for 8 years and it was probably never an issue. Highly doubt this was the first time she ever did it or even got caught with it over there. 

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Does anyone think putin might reject this deal since we offered it first? I can see him saying “nah we’ll keep her for the next 2 decades, you can have him”

I hope he does. I'm not sure the dude we have needs to see the light of day.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/28/2022 at 11:31 AM, Helobious said:

I mean she’s been playing there for 8 years and it was probably never an issue. Highly doubt this was the first time she ever did it or even got caught with it over there. 

I've driven plenty of times after a few beers or more. Just because I never got caught doesn't mean I didn't know it wasn't the best idea. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/28/2022 at 11:31 AM, Helobious said:

What the fuck are you talking about? No one thinks it was her first time doing it. That's the whole point of the post you quoted

On 7/28/2022 at 1:30 PM, ztejas said:

I hope he does. I'm not sure the dude we have needs to see the light of day.

This

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I've driven plenty of times after a few beers or more. Just because I never got caught doesn't mean I didn't know it wasn't the best idea. 

Reported!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/28/2022 at 10:16 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I heard that the twolves were going to have to throw in five more unprotected first round picks and swaps to make the trade work. But they think Griner is the missing piece to a championship so whatcha gonna do? 

On 7/15/2022 at 12:18 PM, Porterhouse said:

True. She fucked around and found out, and, I hope she’s released. I don’t celebrate her incarceration. 

I don't celebrate her incarceration, but I also don't think we should be trading her for the guy Russia wants either.

• Hook 'Em 2