Britney Griner

Baboontyme

Just now, Cornpop said:

You really think she's making much money off the court on endorsements? I doubt it.

And yes the argument that WNBA players don't make enough and are "forced" to travel oversees to supplement their income. Boo hoo

She has 500k Instagram followers. I promise you she does very well for herself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Wife and I were recently in Cancun on vacation and met 2 wnba players that were vacationing there who also have played overseas. I asked them what they thought about Griners situation and they said they know it's political and bullshit, but also that all the players know to be very careful overseas...especially in Russia.  FWIW they said Griner is arrogant and didn't think the rules or laws apply

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/6/2022 at 2:48 PM, Cornpop said:

You really think she's making much money off the court on endorsements? I doubt it.

And yes the argument that WNBA players don't make enough and are "forced" to travel oversees to supplement their income has been circulating on national media. Boo hoo

Back around 2000, Mary Lou Retton was asking for a million plus per endorsement. That was 16 years after she scored consecutive 10s and won gold.

8 minutes ago, Cornpop said:

I'm not getting the analogy here. Mary Lou Retton was America's sweetheart for a time. BG....not so much

I think she has some marketability. I don't care any about Venus and Serena Williams and those 2 get a ton of endorsements. Venus makes about $5 mil per year in endorsements and has a net worth of $95 million. Anyway, according to the website Celebrity Net Worth, Griner’s fortune currently stands at $5 million, of which $1.5 million has come from playing basketball in Russia.

On 8/9/2022 at 6:04 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

Wife and I were recently in Cancun on vacation and met 2 wnba players that were vacationing there who also have played overseas. I asked them what they thought about Griners situation and they said they know it's political and bullshit, but also that all the players know to be very careful overseas...especially in Russia.  FWIW they said Griner is arrogant and didn't think the rules or laws apply

are you calling her a moron Dennis?

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 1:42 PM, ztejas said:

A friend of mine from school was on Roadman’s trip to North Korea. I believe he has tried to get any reference to his participation scrubbed from The Internet.

Hearing or reading people say she is "wrongfully detained" is cringe-worthy. She broke their law, even if you buy her "I forgot it was in my bag" excuse. That would set a hilarious precedent for defense, if Russian courts even operate that way? 

I read they are giving her 1.5:1 on pretrial time served, leaving only 8 years left to go. So there's that 

• Hook 'Em 1

i'll say it again: if she were a man, she'd be the Pac Man Jones or Lawrence Phillips of her sport. she'd be a thug, with a horrible reputation for violence, and nobody would be crying for her, and the damn state department/us govt definitely would be bending over backwards to try and make concessions for her. she's been a piece of shit her entire public life, and her lack of a Y chromosome has been able to bail her out on that front until now. sorry not sorry- it's hard for my heart to break for someone who has been such a giant POS for so many years. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i'll say it again: if she were a man, she'd be the Pac Man Jones or Lawrence Phillips of her sport. she'd be a thug, with a horrible reputation for violence, and nobody would be crying for her, and the damn state department/us govt definitely would be bending over backwards to try and make concessions for her. she's been a piece of shit her entire public life, and her lack of a Y chromosome has been able to bail her out on that front until now. sorry not sorry- it's hard for my heart to break for someone who has been such a giant POS for so many years. 

I’m genuinely curious as to what she has done to warrant this?  I don’t follow the WNBA at all and so don’t really know anything about her post Baylor.  

15 minutes ago, txhorns said:

I’m genuinely curious as to what she has done to warrant this?  I don’t follow the WNBA at all and so don’t really know anything about her post Baylor.  

she's got a long history of starting actual on-court fist fights that dates back to HS. she also has a history of domestic violence, including an arrest for assault, a mandatory 26 week counseling program, and a 7 game suspension from the WNBA for the assault. she's one of the most violent professional athletes i've ever seen. probably top 5.

Edited by shadow_operative

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

she's got a long history of starting actual on-court fist fights that dates back to HS. she also has a long history of domestic violence, including an arrest for assault, a mandatory 26 week counseling program, and a 7 game suspension from the WNBA for the assault. she's one of the most violent professional athletes i've ever seen. probably top 5.

Then yeah a male player with that history certainly wouldn’t be getting any sympathy from the general public.  Hell a male player is likely out of sports with that history.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

spacer.png

I should specify I do feel sorry for her being wrongfully imprisoned in a gulag, though.

She's not wrongfully imprisoned.  Now, we can debate whether Russia's law is fair, whether they would have done this to any other random American, but she broke their law.  She's fully responsible for her current situation not anyone else.

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Greiner's kind of fucked. Definitely proven to be an asshole on more than one occasion but  I don't know if I want him in a Russian cage for all of 9 years. 

ISWYDT

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Then yeah a male player with that history certainly wouldn’t be getting any sympathy from the general public.  Hell a male player is likely out of sports with that history.

I think the prevailing sentiment is more Fuck Russia than Free Britney.

19 minutes ago, txhorns said:

tyreek.jpg

mixon.jpg

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

tyreek.jpg

mixon.jpg

they honestly have less of a history of violence than she does. they're able to do more damage because they're men, but still not as long of a rap sheet. hell, even vontaze burfict wasn't constantly boxing people mid-game. griner has serious issues with anger and violence.

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

Tyreek Hill choked and punched his pregnant girlfriend and physically abused his child, breaking his arm. What more does he need to do? 

start fist fights on the field at multiple levels of the sport. that's the difference. britney griner (both on and off the "official" record) has beaten the crap out of everyone she's ever dated.  if she had the strength of tyreek hill then she would have inflicted more damage and certainly broken some peoples bones as well. she's just a straight up violent person, both on the court and off. if tyreek hill can start a bunch of on-field first fights in his career then his rap sheet can catch up to hers, but until then, the has a longer, more diverse, and more repeated history of violence.

so, again, to really drive the point home, she legit has a longer rap sheet than hill or mixon. she's just a woman, so she doesn't inflict as much damage, there isn't as much news coverage, and the penalties are lesser. and that's the point- she's just a violent person, to what most people would probably say is an extreme degree. 

So that should somehow excuse Tyreek and Mixon for beating women and children? Dumbass. You said male players wouldn't be getting any sympathy. Well, they do. She's a piece of shit, but to say she gets away with shit because she's a woman and a man wouldn't even be allowed to play sports again is fucking laughable.  

Edited by Deej