Tell me about German Shorthaired Pointers

The rundown: 

My wife wants a dog. I said sure, but if we do it, we're getting a proper dog. We live in West Houston with plenty of access to large parks like Memorial and Hershey. Our backyard isn't huge. It's a corner lot with a pool. I have two alleys large enough for a dog run/kennel. 

I don't hunt much, but I'd like to do it more. I have friends that go every weekend during the seasons They'd be happy to take me along. 

I know German Shorthairs are outstanding hunting dogs, but I've been warned they're hyper and need a big track to run on. How are they as family dogs? My wife is looking for a dog to keep her company during the day, and guard the house at night. 

Could Surly recommend a good breeder? I also understand the dog will have to be professionally trained for hunting. Could the board also recommend a good trainer? 

I don't know, Bill.  This might be more dog than your family is really looking for as a pet, maybe? Can I ask why not a lab or golden? Goldens are great pets but are good hunting dogs too. Soft mouths for waterfowl and smart as a whip. Gentle with family. They won't chew up a house or get headstrong ideas if you give it the training it sounds like you are willing to provide. Just thinking that maybe a golden or lab as your "proper dog" can be the answer for you both.

Is your wife an alpha? Can she command a hyper or headstrong dog to her will? I have heard that is needed for high energy GSP more than for labs or goldens. If she isn't forceful enough then she is who will need the training to work with such a dog to make it a great experience. It can be great but she has to know what she has and how to be with it. If it kind of goes against her nature and she doesn't want to work so hard then you will all do better with a different breed, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

I don't know, Bill.  This might be more dog than your family is really looking for as a pet, maybe? Can I ask why not a lab or golden? Goldens are great pets but are good hunting dogs too. Soft mouths for waterfowl and smart as a whip. Gentle with family. They won't chew up a house or get headstrong ideas if you give it the training it sounds like you are willing to provide. Just thinking that maybe a golden or lab as your "proper dog" can be the answer for you both.

Is your wife an alpha? Can she command a hyper or headstrong dog to her will? I have heard that is needed for high energy GSP more than for labs or goldens. If she isn't forceful enough then she is who will need the training to work with such a dog to make it a great experience. It can be great but she has to know what she has and how to be with it. If it kind of goes against her nature and she doesn't want to work so hard then you will all do better with a different breed, imo. 

Can they get trained up to where they are chill? Or is that never going to happen with the breed?

2 hours ago, Deej said:

If you don't want a dog that chews your house up, don't get a lab. Those first two years are a bitch.

Depends on whether you leave them alone all day by themselves. If you don’t, and get them exercise and attention, they may not chew stuff. I’ve owned several labs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a 3 year old GSP which was my first GSP and they are definite nut jobs. Great dog for the 10-15 days a year I hunt birds but the other 350 days a year she sprints in circles in my backyard and kills my grass. I walk her at least 30 minutes a day but as someone else says that just gets them in better shape. We will hunt all day where she probably runs 10ish miles back and forth and will still have energy when she gets back to the house. 

She's great and I love her but I probably wont get another GSP unless I can move out onto a couple acres, will probably get a lab as my next dog. 

If you do get a GSP make sure to take some obedience courses and train them constantly. Nothing like watching your dog chase a jackrabbit across the high plains for 3/4 of a mile...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

@burntorangebongos nailed it, imo.  My next dog will likely be a GSP, but we also do a lot of wing shooting.  Leasemate has a vizsla he’s got >10k in, I’m not particularly impressed. We have labs that regularly out hunt it in every facet.  Cousin does obedience and hunt training, if you are in Houston area.  He’s got a customer that sends his GSPs in every 6 months for a month long “refresher”.  Those particular pups are freaking amazing to watch work.  They are the definition of high energy.

See lots of GSPs around the hood, more and more each year. Seem to be trendy with the wine mom crowd. Most seem to be lunatics. I’m assuming they aren’t getting the work they really need.  

Unfortunately my lab has been spoiled to death by the wife and kids, and likes the couch more then the blind these days.  Don’t think I’ll have that issue with a GSP. 

My GSP will be 12 next month, he calmed down around 7.  I will say the are versatile, and ours adapted very well to our young kids and became a great family dog.  I talked with the Breeder when I got him and deliberately chose the non alpha male.  He was still very active the first couple of years.  

I had a German Shorthair for about 8 years, lost him about 2 years ago to bloat. He was a really good dog, very affectionate and mine was big, he weighed about 80 pounds. Was always trying to get into my lap when I sat down. He was really good with the kids, very tolerant with the little ones. He was always playful even into adulthood but I never thought of him as really hyper. Would recommend.  Oh and he hated the mailman, I mean fucking hated. He knew the sound of the mail truck and would start barking as soon as he turned down our street. When he saw the mailman in the front yard he would go ballistic. Never did that to anyone else, animal or human, he was pretty friendly with everyone.  

Favorite dog I had though was a whippet I had in college. She was smart as hell and had a huge personality. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Lots and lots and lots of energy.  Did I mention they are energetic.  If you are unwilling to spend a decent portion of your day to trying to tire out a dog, then do not get an GSP.  You will be tired of your activity long before they are.

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The rundown: 

My wife wants a dog. I said sure, but if we do it, we're getting a proper dog. We live in West Houston with plenty of access to large parks like Memorial and Hershey. Our backyard isn't huge. It's a corner lot with a pool. I have two alleys large enough for a dog run/kennel. 

I don't hunt much, but I'd like to do it more. I have friends that go every weekend during the seasons They'd be happy to take me along. 

I know German Shorthairs are outstanding hunting dogs, but I've been warned they're hyper and need a big track to run on. How are they as family dogs? My wife is looking for a dog to keep her company during the day, and guard the house at night. 

Could Surly recommend a good breeder? I also understand the dog will have to be professionally trained for hunting. Could the board also recommend a good trainer? 

As for breeders, what type of dog are you looking for? I made a huge mistake and bought a shorthair bred from field trial champions. It wasn't a pet and could never have been one. It was bred to be used for hunting behind a horse. We had about a half acre and it ran around the yard tearing it up, chewing on everything. It couldn't be held on a leash by my wife or my young kids. If we put a shock collar on him and took him to the park, he would be 100 yards away within about 3 seconds and the shock collar didn't do a damn thing. We had him trained for hunting and while he was still very young, we sold him through the trainer to someone in Canada who had a ranch. That is what that dog needed.

But, my family has always had shorthairs and they were all good dogs and very intelligent. The first was a show dog and was a good indoor pet, but was gun shy. The rest were hunting dogs that lived indoors and outdoors. The second was about as good of a dog as there could be - great hunting dog, great retriever, great with kids, and living indoors or out. We bought a female from a trainer that would go after anything with fur (like it would see a mouse in a bed of cactus and go right through the cactus to get the mouse). It also brought down a few javelinas. Funny thing though is she was great with kids and babies.

Anyway, without going through them all, they generally are very hyper and take probably 4 years to calm down and live to be around 13yrs old. The ones bred for show aren't near as hyper. Still, you should have space for them and be prepared to take them for jogs regularly. And depending on what you are looking for, I do know some breeders.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

A little more info than the previous post as I ran out of time editing.

As for breeders, what type of dog are you looking for? I made a huge mistake and bought a shorthair bred from field trial champions. It wasn't a pet and could never have been one. It was bred to be used for hunting behind a horse. We had about a half acre and it ran around the yard tearing it up, chewing on everything. It couldn't be held on a leash by my wife or my young kids. If we put a shock collar on him and took him to the park, he would be 100 yards away within about 3 seconds and the shock collar didn't do a damn thing. We had him trained for hunting and while he was still very young, we sold him through the trainer to someone in Canada who had a ranch. That is what that dog needed.

But, my family has always had shorthairs and they were all good dogs and very intelligent. The first was a show dog and was a good indoor pet, but was gun shy. The rest were hunting dogs that lived indoors and outdoors. The second was about as good of a dog as there could be - great hunting dog, great retriever, great with kids, and living indoors or out. We bought a female from a trainer that would go after anything with fur (like it would see a mouse in a bed of cactus and go right through the cactus to get the mouse). It also brought down a few javelinas. Funny thing though is she was great with kids and babies.

As for the poster who said they weren't great swimmers, I beg to differ (but they can't sit in a blind like a lab can). The two dogs mentioned above would go to the lake at our ranch and swim all day. One would go chase the ducks towards the other one on the banks. Like I said, they are very smart. They would also dig up armadillos, taking turns on the digging. And they were both pretty perfect quail hunting dogs. The friendlier one would range closer while the other one would range further out. They had great noses, would hold point, and would retrieve better than one would think possible.

Anyway, without going through them all (we probably have owned about 10), they generally are very hyper and take probably 4 years to calm down and live to be around 13yrs old. The ones bred for show aren't near as hyper. Still, you should have space for them and be prepared to take them for jogs regularly. And depending on what you are looking for, I do know some breeders.

9 hours ago, Deej said:

Vizsla. 

Vizsla are pretty needy dogs.  Mine says hi.  He's almost 9, and has epilepsy on top of anxiety, which is fun.  He's also my best friend, for what it's worth.  They are fantastic family dogs though.   Lots of energy and then some.

GSPs are great hunting dogs, for all the reasons everyone enumerated.  I think you need land for them.

Edited by Hefeweizen

Roommate shortly after college had a vizsla.  He’d put on his rollerblades, let the dog tow him around the neighborhood for half an hour, and the damn dog would still want more.  That experience, and the GSPs I’ve encountered over the years, have led me to believe that pointers are not for me.  I’m not an avid hunter, but if you invite me out to your land during dove season I’ll be happy to go.  Currently have an old yellow lab, before her I had a golden.  I went yellow lab on the second round because I was tired of paying to get the golden groomed.  Mistake.  The first 2 years with the lab were full of surprises.  My next dog will be a youngish golden rescue.  I don’t think I have it in me to do another puppy.

My friend has two.  He takes them to his ranch and just lets them go.    Those dogs will run that 200 acre property for 5 hours straight.  So I agree with the above that they have some serious energy.  Also they are great with his young kids

I have a GSP female that just turned 10. As many mentioned the first several years are a blur of non-stop energy. The turning point for us was getting her obedience trained (with a shock collar). Once that happened it was a game changer. She could be off leash, go hunting with me etc. Great family dog, great bird dog, not super needy, but affectionate enough, and super tolerant of kids. My wife might not let me, but I’d probably get another, for no other reason than keeping my fat ass in shape 😂.

3 hours ago, Ewreck10 said:

I have a GSP female that just turned 10. As many mentioned the first several years are a blur of non-stop energy. The turning point for us was getting her obedience trained (with a shock collar). Once that happened it was a game changer. She could be off leash, go hunting with me etc. Great family dog, great bird dog, not super needy, but affectionate enough, and super tolerant of kids. My wife might not let me, but I’d probably get another, for no other reason than keeping my fat ass in shape 😂.

One of my friends husbands grew up with GSP's and when I got mine and was bitching about how much energy they have he said "Don't worry, they calm down around 4 or 5"...My GSP was 1 at the time.  😳

I never had to use a shock collar on my first dog but it is a must IMO with a GSP. The breaking point was when I took her out to to our land in Western KS the first time when she was a year old and she started chasing my uncles cattle...Yeah, the next time she was out there and tried it was the last time. 

Obedience Obedience Obedience is a must with them. After a couple of years Milo is much better and I can have her off leash when we go fishing/hiking/etc and rarely have to use the shock collar on her. 

On 5/29/2022 at 8:35 PM, Chewbacca said:

They are clinically insane. You can't wear them out with exercise, you just get them in better shape. Definitely not a dog for everyone.

Buddy owned two. Never seen a dog with more energy than those two.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

Buddy owned two. Never seen a dog with more energy than those two.

I don't know about that. We would sometimes hunt with others who had pointers and they were much worse than our GSPs. Like they would range so far that you couldn't find them without a whistle. But for sure the GSPs had energy. We would sometimes hunt along senderos and drive the jeep as they criss-crossed the road in front of us and they were more than happy with the arrangement.

• Hook 'Em 1

My buddy runs his gsp about two miles twice a day, and lets it run free frequently. It still has more energy to spare. It's a cool dog, but not for me. This one is pretty aloof too. Not really interested in anything except hunting (birds, squirrels, lizards) and running. Cool dog but not for me.

17 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

My buddy runs his gsp about two miles twice a day, and lets it run free frequently. It still has more energy to spare. It's a cool dog, but not for me. This one is pretty aloof too. Not really interested in anything except hunting (birds, squirrels, lizards) and running. Cool dog but not for me.

Yeah, they're not the warmest dogs, either.  Agree there.

45 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, they're not the warmest dogs, either.  Agree there.

Not uncommon with pure hunting dogs. There are some that cover both bases, but there are plenty that are pure robots when not hunting.  I’ve been around a lot that are all business, all the time.  

On 5/29/2022 at 9:34 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Can they get trained up to where they are chill?

No. They just get older eventually. I would never recommend that dog for a new dog owner unless they do a TON of bird hunting. Also, how does a house on a corner lot have two alleys?

On 5/29/2022 at 9:46 PM, Dbeasy said:

Depends on whether you leave them alone all day by themselves. If you don’t, and get them exercise and attention, they may not chew stuff. I’ve owned several labs. 

When I was a kid we had a dog that would chew the corners of every piece of furniture in the house.  My old man applied Tabasco sauce to said corners and the chewing stopped.

16 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

When I was a kid we had a dog that would chew the corners of every piece of furniture in the house.  My old man applied Tabasco sauce to said corners and the chewing stopped.

Well yeah because all the legs were already gone. No dog is gonna chew on stumpy the couch.

• Haha 1