Other States BBQ

Neonmoon

13 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

You know how you get rib tips? By cutting the nasty things off spare ribs. To many Texas joint leave them on their spare ribs. They are gnarly bony garbage.

The meat itself is good. Actually delicious when done properly. Get them tender enough you can pull the garbage out of it easy enough, but it's almost too much work. If I wanted to do that much, I'd eat crawfish. 

On 6/10/2022 at 12:18 AM, Stunns38 said:

If any of you are adventurous, check out Lem’s in Chicago. It’s in the hood but Chicago’s hoods dominate the rib tip game.

http://lemsque.com/

When I was in school we used to go into the hood to a house where this guy was selling BBQ out of his window after we left the bars. There was a long line. Totally illegal, I’m sure. But who really cares?

As for sauce, I usually don’t use it. But sometimes I like it. And I can buy this in the stores...it’s not my favorite but it’s not bad:

8e252e67-3abe-49b4-bd43-b0981cde5ce6.050

• Like 1

Went to a restaurant in Memphis once.  Beale street.  They served me French fries covered in seafood gumbo.  No shit.  It ain’t France, it ain’t Cajun, and it ain’t in the coast, but somehow there that’s a thing.

https://bluescitycafe.com/menu/our-menu/

Also, there’s a donut shop there that’s on point.

But, alas, the q does t do it for me.

I wouldn’t base anything on a tourist trap like Blues City Cafe. Ribs that fall off the bone? That’s a sign of boiled ribs. Maple bbq sauce? That ain’t Memphis. Gumbo ain’t a Memphis thing either so getting it on French fries, rice or noodles is just stupid.

• Like 1

potato salad in gumbo is traditional and just fine.  I like it in the summer.

If it's cold outside, I just want white rice in the gumbo.

You have many coonass friends in Ohio?

On recommendation from people in the know on Memphis barbecue, we hit Central Barbecue yesterday.

Slab of ribs, pulled pork sandwich, sides of mac & cheese, collard greens, slaw, chips, and pork rinds.

It was the most underwhelming barbecue I've had in as long as I can remember. Ribs were cooked fine, but flavor was mediocre. Pulled pork, slaw, and mac had no flavor at all. Greens were even worse.

Best three things on the plate - chips, pork rinds, and dinner rolls.

My ranking of the three meals we had in Memphis:

#1 ‐ Gus' Fried Chicken
#2 - hotel complement breakfast waffles
#3 - Central Barbecue

Almost every pork rib I've had in Texas since 2017 was better than Central Barbecue.f9358f870454f5921a55fca1a8573674.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

On recommendation from people in the know on Memphis barbecue, we hit Central Barbecue yesterday.

Slab of ribs, pulled pork sandwich, sides of mac & cheese, collard greens, slaw, chips, and pork rinds.

It was the most underwhelming barbecue I've had in as long as I can remember. Ribs were cooked fine, but flavor was mediocre. Pulled pork, slaw, and mac had no flavor at all. Greens were even worse.

Best three things on the plate - chips, pork rinds, and dinner rolls.

My ranking of the three meals we had in Memphis:

#1 ‐ Gus' Fried Chicken
#2 - hotel complement breakfast waffles
#3 - Central Barbecue

Almost every pork rib I've had in Texas since 2017 was better than Central Barbecue.f9358f870454f5921a55fca1a8573674.jpg

Memphis was my last pre-pandemic work trip and I hit up Central BBQ while there. Looking into where to eat online, it definitely appeared to be considered one of the better Memphis BBQ spots, and not a tourist trap.

The only thing memorable about it is how meh it was. And I'm not someone who just reflexively hates BBQ that isn't Texas-style.

Edited by gmr548
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 11:36 AM, CooterBrown said:

This was my combo plate from Oklahoma Joe’s, widely considered one of the best BBQ joints in KC.

The brisket was so tough, they cut it on a deli slicer set at 1. It be tasted like it had been parboiled before going on the smoker. The sausage was horrific and wasn’t even Hillshire Farms quality. Not shown is the potato salad that was diced potatoes swimming in mayonnaise soup.

This was a definite step up from Arthur Bryant’s. I gave up on KC BBQ after those two.

66eff2198e39d6f7765d0240e86d288b.jpg

Try LC's on Blue Parkway just east of Country Club Plaza but be prepared for long lines.  It is the best in KC.

2 hours ago, wildturkey8 said:

Try LC's on Blue Parkway just east of Country Club Plaza but be prepared for long lines.  It is the best in KC.

First review for LC's on Google:

I've lived in KC since 2014. This was my 1st time eating LC BBQ. After my dissatisfaction with the Taste of the long ends. I know that that I'm a true outsider. Restaurant looks cleaner in 2022. Kudos to the hardworking cooks. But one lady had a boggie in her nose. Another lady had a brown tooth which turned my stomach. I ate the meat wasn't that tender.$20 fries/ long ends tasted burnt. Sauce was underwhelming So it's a NO for me.

Second pic in photos:

1179011968_isthisfood.thumb.JPG.fd5e4743277493083f25611e039a7144.JPG

Edited by Sam Lin
add pic

I’ve said it many times before and I’ll say it again. Having lived in KC for several years and trying them all, KC’s best BBQ is barely Rudy’s level. Barely.

Any other opinion is either a Kansas City homer trying to play big boy BBQ or someone who has never actually had good BBQ.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Memphis has a long BBQ history around pork, but they have jumped the shark on going chain style rather than what it was. They have all opened new restaurants as 2nd/3rd stores and are just getting food in and out. I would rather have Martin’s in Nashville for pork at this point. I eat at Central pretty regularly, but I eat their Turkey which is really good.

48 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I’ve said it many times before and I’ll say it again. Having lived in KC for several years and trying them all, KC’s best BBQ is barely Rudy’s level. Barely.

Any other opinion is either a Kansas City homer trying to play big boy BBQ or someone who has never actually had good BBQ.

Jalapeño cornbread at Jack Stack’s is worth the trip.

Other primary difference in Memphis when looking at TX is everyone in Memphis is on electric smokers now for the most part. They are just throwing butts, ribs, chicken, and Turkey in an electric smoker and you have “BBQ” at the end.

Des Moines/greater Central Iowa has some surprisingly good places, but it's all people doing a style from somewhere else.  The places with good brisket are all run by people from Texas (or who lived and worked in Texas BBQ), for example.  There's no "Des Moines" style.

The best truly local stuff is pork.  Pulled, sausage, or ribs, we have a lot of hogs and know how to cook them.  Iowa pork >>> Memphis (I've been to Central - didn't dislike it by any means, but the best spots in Des Moines are better). 

RE KC, Gates and Arthur Bryant's are bad.  Q39, Jack Stack, Joe's all have things they do really well.  I've not even tried close to everything there, and I haven't been in awhile.  My taste in BBQ has changed a lot in the last few years as I've started doing more of it myself, and studied methods and history of it.  I also finally got to a place in Texas that lived up to the hype the last time I was down there (I'd had bad luck with commercial cue in Texas, usually tagging along with a buddy who doesn't have good taste or following bad advice from Baylor fans).

BBQ sauce is like steak sauce.  It's a fine condiment for a simple burger, chicken, or fast food.  If you're making the actual food right, you shouldn't need it.

The worst thing in any barbecue sauce is liquid fucking smoke, whether homemade, bottled, or commercial. I can taste it in minute parts like a shark smelling a drop of water in the ocean. Putrid. I want real smoke on the meat. Not on your oven cooked roast.

Otherwise I have no issues with a great sauce. Even Daniel Vaughn likes a sauce now and then.

13 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

The worst thing in any barbecue sauce is liquid fucking smoke, whether homemade, bottled, or commercial. I can taste it in minute parts like a shark smelling a drop of water in the ocean. Putrid. I want real smoke on the meat. Not on your oven cooked roast.

Otherwise I have no issues with a great sauce. Even Daniel Vaughn likes a sauce now and then.

I very much enjoy good barbecue sauce.  I just don't usually put it on smoked meat.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/15/2022 at 2:18 PM, Brew said:

Jalapeño cornbread at Jack Stack’s is worth the trip.

Other primary difference in Memphis when looking at TX is everyone in Memphis is on electric smokers now for the most part. They are just throwing butts, ribs, chicken, and Turkey in an electric smoker and you have “BBQ” at the end.

Jack Stack has really good side dishes, imo. 

Sitting at Midwood Smokehouse in Charlotte right now before heading to the airport.  It ain’t Texas bbq but it’s a’ight.  Definitely get your money’s worth

C5A264A9-F27C-48C5-80F4-1B5B23EB378A.thumb.jpeg.875bf8499a202d2fc265187223f9de03.jpeg
9FFA9C15-1B15-4CF0-BCD8-026C2A9C5E15.thumb.jpeg.317a7e96c851fdebf7db9f449505543b.jpeg
77DF0F16-8C44-4511-B0B5-8C7798068D01.thumb.jpeg.5857c9a44e15d72de5d498b0e294ee30.jpeg

I prefer Sweet Lew’s. But Midwood and Lew’s are also barbecue cooked in NC, not NC barbecue

If you ever want authentic Carolina barbecue, and you’re in Charlotte, you have to drive an hour away to towns like Shelby or Lexington

But even the most cynical of y’all bastids would approve of Jon G’s, which is also an hour east of Charlotte and only open on Saturday

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/texas-brisket-migrating-north-carolina/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

After taking my coworkers to Franklin and Blacks when they were in Austin, my boss repaid me by having bbq for lunch when we met in DC

image.thumb.jpeg.b64a00d3503119a5b3a7085320272642.jpeg

The ribs looked like they were boiled, the chicken was ok, the pulled pork tasted like it was smoked with tobacco.

Couldn't place the aftertaste of the mac and cheese but it was weird.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, blacklab said:

After taking my coworkers to Franklin and Blacks when they were in Austin, my boss repaid me by having bbq for lunch when we met in DC

The ribs looked like they were boiled, the chicken was ok, the pulled pork tasted like it was smoked with tobacco.

wtf GIF

27 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Tomacco Juice - Wikisimpsons, the Simpsons Wiki