Other States BBQ

Neonmoon

I tried to have NC BBQ once but was unsuccessful. We went to see tOSU @ NC State in 2004. We looked up a BBQ joint that was just a few miles past Carter-Finley Stadium. It was a 3:30 game so we probably got there around 1:30. They were already closed. Maybe the locals already cleaned them out but I couldn’t help but wonder how much money they were losing by not keeping the smokers going and staying open longer. But the place looked authentic. I would definitely describe it as a BBQ shack.

Back on shaggy I got a recipe for a South Carolina mustard sauce that I think is pretty good. I’ve since seen it posted elsewhere, but for awhile I just had it labeled as “Bingo Ank!”

2 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

I moved from Austin to Missouri about 8 years ago and for some reason have eaten at BBQ places here a few times.  To further add to my bad decision history, I ordered brisket each time.  I have since started to learn how to smoke my own brisket and it's currently below average to average based on standards back home, but it's still the best I have had in Missouri.

ETA:  I did go to KC once and got some ribs there that were excellent...  brisket, not so much.

Foil boat and a 12+ hour heated rest @ 155 degrees in a counter top turkey roaster.  Even better is to rest it in a sous vide.  You can do everything wrong and those two things will get that brisket to well above Rudy's quality. Get most things right and those two things turn that brisket up to 11 on par with Franklin.  I thought the foil boat was gimmicky until I tried it. 

Check out Chud's BBQ on Youtube for details. 

8 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Foil boat and a 12+ hour heated rest @ 155 degrees in a counter top turkey roaster.  Even better is to rest it in a sous vide.  You can do everything wrong and those two things will get that brisket to well above Rudy's quality. Get most things right and those two things turn that brisket up to 11 on par with Franklin.  I thought the foil boat was gimmicky until I tried it. 

Man I'd love to do a 12 hour heated rest but ffs I'm trying to eat at some point during my weekend. It's a wonder anyone put out any good brisket at all before the youtubes (we did, but there's so much info available to us these days).

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm going to stop at one place in Memphis for barbecue in a couple weeks.  What place to you recommend? 

Currently looking at Central BBQ, Interstate BBQ, and Elwood's Shack.

Best I had in Memphis is Germantown Commissary.  Good pulled pork by any standards.  

Edited by huge

50 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm going to stop at one place in Memphis for barbecue in a couple weeks.  What place to you recommend? 

Also Gus's fried chicken is the best I've ever had.  You can wash it down with a cold 40.

Edited by huge
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I'm a fan of Chud's videos.  I have not tried the foil boat just yet, but I'll give that a go next time. 

The last brisket I smoked was Mother's Day weekend.  A lot of rain was in the forecast, so I made it the day before.  I put sealed it and did the sous vide thing on Sunday.  It was definitely the best I have made.  Still quite a bit of room for improvement, but it does satisfy my brisket cravings.

Speaking of smoked bologna, Troyer’s Trail Bologna, made in Trail, OH, is already smoked. Located in Holmes County, OH - Swiss country - grilled, fried, or toasted it goes great topped with melted Swiss cheese and the best of that you can get is from Holmes Cheese Co. in Millersburg, OH, the county seat. Guggisberg is good too, and more widely distributed, but Holmes Cheese is better.

cart.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Man I'd love to do a 12 hour heated rest but ffs I'm trying to eat at some point during my weekend. It's a wonder anyone put out any good brisket at all before the youtubes (we did, but there's so much info available to us these days).

I put my brisket on at noon on Friday and it's resting by midnight.  It's ready for lunch on Saturday.  

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

I put my brisket on at noon on Friday and it's resting by midnight.  It's ready for lunch on Saturday.  

Yah but most of my bbq is for Sundays, just how it lines up if we're doing something on Saturday. If I can get one on early on a Saturday I might try this out. 

On 5/29/2022 at 10:32 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Memphis barbecue overall is the best of any city.

spacer.png

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant "best of any non-Texas city."

Edited by Dutch

data=LN3qd-FZDqCtgoO-pMIsZ_a0d2dLdJM0-NoIeBA0huhI3rLAdZBq-cWBZ4-Hpd34Ic97gIZ5vnbVHIg80MEpeb2-CNHja_94YwpVxqgJxA2zzwfGBy64_0L4JrKskOaZlNAOzaZ-i7HNi91zy1ibmReRS8PhWiqaLOAOFlIDo4YmUhgCFlm8MU-1l27JluAYS0zHIajt5zE895kfdzDDqf7YxccM7HJhxmjmNBIJXs6Mjmo
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant "best of any non-Texas city."

No big city has as big of a barbecue culture as Memphis. Austin is a latecomer to the game. There is a reason the Memphis in May barbecue contest is the Super Bowl of all bbq competitions. Most of you have no knowledge of our cultural foodways and how our traditions came to pass and recency bias is a real issue with some of you.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

No big city has as big of a barbecue culture as Memphis. Austin is a latecomer to the game. There is a reason the Memphis in May barbecue contest is the Super Bowl of all bbq competitions. Most of you have no knowledge of our cultural foodways and how our traditions came to pass and recency bias is a real issue with some of you.

Whatever, Memphzilla...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/30/2022 at 12:21 PM, 66BUFF said:

KC brisket tastes like low grade Arby's.  Rudy's would own the BBQ market in Colorado

They have/had two Rudy's in CO.  There was one in Greeley that closed, but I believe the one in Colorado Springs is still open.

Wayne's Smoke Shack in Superior is legit.  His restaurant was closed after the fire in December and I don't think it's re-opened.

• Hook 'Em 1

If you get a pork sandwich you want it chopped not sliced. Slaw will come on it. It’s integral. DONT FUCKING GET BRiSKET. If you go to a sit down joint they might have throwbacks from the Greek influence like cold sausage and cheese plates, barbecue shrimp (like New Orleans style, lots of butter), delta tamales, and from the Italian side you might see barbecue spaghetti and barbecue pizza (both awesome dishes). The typical sides will be slaw, tater salad, and sweet baked beans. A lot of places don’t have fries because they are a pain in the ass.

I would skip Interstate. Very inconsistent.

My favorite thru college was Payne’s Barbecue but you might not want to risk your life. The famous chopped hot is shown; it is the standard I judge everything pork by. It’s a sandwich joint.

Germantown Commissary as mentioned is excellent. He has always had great pulled pork, very good ribs, and good Delta tamales.

I like Central Barbecue as a place that has great ribs and pulled pork. I never had a bad rack there. It’s
Probably where I go if I just have one to go to.

I also like Melissa Cookstons Memphis Barbecue Company across the line in Mississippi. It has all kinds of stuff like burgers and meatloaf and it’s not where I’d go for my singular experience.

I’ve not had Elwoods Shack.

Cozy Corner is old timey soul food barbecue, meaning it’s heavily sauced. They are big on smoked quail which I never liked. It’s well loved but it was never my favorite.

A lot of locals will mention Corky’s. They went through a lot of expansion and I haven’t eaten there in years. At one time it was phenomenal.

The BarBQ Shop at one time was Brady & Lil’s which was hallowed barbecue ground. They bought out the family and moved it. I’ve not had it since the change but some friends like it, others don’t.

My vote: Central BBQ.

6e94d7ab3e69761635591d5d5e8dd6c7.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

How come most other states BBQ is good only because they smother it in some sauce? KC ribs rub brown sugar ketchup on it. Carolina uses vinegar ketchup. 

Thats why I prefer Central Texas. No sauce. If you need to smear ketchup all over your meat for it to be good, not really a selling point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

The BarBQ Shop at one time was Brady & Lil’s which was hallowed barbecue ground. They bought out the family and moved it. I’ve not had it since the change but some friends like it, others don’t.

My vote: Central BBQ.

I'm a big BarBQ Shop supporter.  I prefer spare ribs to baby backs and I believe Central does baby backs exclusively?  They benefit from being close to everything, and right around the corner from the Lorraine Hotel and a few blocks from the best place in Memphis, the Cheesecake Corner.

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Memphis might be the Bill Russell of BBQ but central Texas is the Michael fucking Jordan. 

7 hours ago, huge said:

Also Gus's fried chicken is the best I've ever had.  You can wash it down with a cold 40.

There is a Gus' in Austin as well as Little Rock. They may have more than that now. Not sure if either of the satellites are as good as the original. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

There is a Gus' in Austin as well as Little Rock. They may have more than that now. Not sure if either of the satellites are as good as the original. 

I've never been to the original, but Gus's in Austin is great-- for me it's the best fried chicken in town.

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I've never been to the original, but Gus's in Austin is great-- for me it's the best fried chicken in town.

I have yet to visit the Austin one (partially because it's in a shitshow part of town) but I've been to the LR one and it was good.

They appear to have a ton of locations now, including Dallas and Houston. 

https://gusfriedchicken.com/#locations

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I have yet to visit the Austin one (partially because it's in a shitshow part of town) but I've been to the LR one and it was good.

They appear to have a ton of locations now, including Dallas and Houston. 

https://gusfriedchicken.com/#locations

The one in Houston is good - very good but the OG is an all-timer.

• Hook 'Em 2

The one in Houston is good - very good but the OG is an all-timer.

The original Gus’ Fried Chicken is a joint in Mason TN on US70. Across the highway from the famous Bozo’s Hot Pit Barbecue. In college we’d head up to a frat brothers grandma’s house in Bells, TN and stop at one going up and the other coming back. His grandma had a cafe for years and would make us a big spread including about 4 dozen fried pies to take back.

Gus’s chicken is hot but it’s in the brine and seasoning and not a chili oil like Nashville Hot. The one in Memphis is great.

I'm a big BarBQ Shop supporter.  I prefer spare ribs to baby backs and I believe Central does baby backs exclusively?  They benefit from being close to everything, and right around the corner from the Lorraine Hotel and a few blocks from the best place in Memphis, the Cheesecake Corner.

If it’s true to Brady and Lil’s BarBQ shop should be great. The original was different than most other joints back in the day and polarizing. As were others; I was never a big Rendezvous fan. I learned everything from Hall of Famer Horton Payne and his protégée John Wills. It’s now down on Madison between Cleveland and Cooper right? B&L was deep in the hood.

I prefer baby backs to spares myself but usually in Memphis they’re all good. Shit there was a fern bar in whitehaven called Marlowe that had killer ribs. Don’t know if it’s still there.

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

If it’s true to Brady and Lil’s BarBQ shop should be great. The original was different than most other joints back in the day and polarizing. As were others; I was never a big Rendezvous fan. I learned everything from Hall of Famer Horton Payne and his protégée John Wills. It’s now down on Madison between Cleveland and Cooper right? B&L was deep in the hood.

I prefer baby backs to spares myself but usually in Memphis they’re all good. Shit there was a fern bar in whitehaven called Marlowe that had killer ribs. Don’t know if it’s still there.

That's right, it's not really close to anything, and all I can really speak to is the ribs.  They seem proud of their barbecue spaghetti, but I've never wanted to try it. 

Rendezvous was dry and underwhelming the times I've tried it.  Great ambiance and a fun story, so if you're traveling with a group and they want a sense of the history, I think there's a place for that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, kilroydos said:

That's right, it's not really close to anything, and all I can really speak to is the ribs.  They seem proud of their barbecue spaghetti, but I've never wanted to try it. 

Rendezvous was dry and underwhelming the times I've tried it.  Great ambiance and a fun story, so if you're traveling with a group and they want a sense of the history, I think there's a place for that.

Not good both times I've been there.  Cool place and all, but I would not have have been proud to serve those under-cooked ribs at my house.

What a load of shit, memphis is a one trick pony, ribs.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Smax said:
21 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I would say that trick is pork.

Afraid not. How hard is it for some of you to not embrace other barbecue foodways as just as valid as Texas, and generally older than Texas barbecue. They are all fantastic when done right and equally dreadful when you get a shitty one. The real common element across barbecue traditions is it’s conviviality for families and friends.

If you haven’t lived in Memphis you don’t understand the pervasiveness of it in the city and the divergent elements of it. In Texas TexMex is a closer approximation of it. It has nothing to do with whether you believe one tradition is “superior “ than the other. You’re a cue fascist.

17 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Went to Memphis once.  Stayed at the hotel with the ducks.  Rendezvous was meh.  

Agree on Rendezvous food but I thought the space was awesome.

Memphis has excellent BBQ.  KC is the overrated one.

11 minutes ago, huge said:

This is what I've heard.

I think there's a bit of confusion about exactly what Tennezilla is saying. There's no doubt the BBQ history in Memphis is insanely deep, whether you think the BBQ who as good as anywhere else, or not. 

11 minutes ago, huge said:

Agree on Rendezvous food but I thought the space was awesome.

I didn’t really like anything about Memphis, so that is probably influencing my opinion a bit.   I’ll leave it at that.

9 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

This is what I've heard.

I think there's a bit of confusion about exactly what Tennezilla is saying. There's no doubt the BBQ history in Memphis is insanely deep, whether you think the BBQ who as good as anywhere else, or not. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, huge said:

I would say that trick is pork.

Agree and while I enjoy a good pulled pork sandwich every now and again, its about the sauce. Its nearly impossible to screw up a pork butt so I feel its not a good indicator of someone's bbq skill. That is why I focused on ribs

Whole hog is a different story

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Afraid not. How hard is it for some of you to not embrace other barbecue foodways as just as valid as Texas, and generally older than Texas barbecue. They are all fantastic when done right and equally dreadful when you get a shitty one. The real common element across barbecue traditions is it’s conviviality for families and friends.

If you haven’t lived in Memphis you don’t understand the pervasiveness of it in the city and the divergent elements of it. In Texas TexMex is a closer approximation of it. It has nothing to do with whether you believe one tradition is “superior “ than the other. You’re a cue fascist.

Afraid so, and no one here is rejecting memphis bbq or bbq from anywhere else and whether a style is older or no is irrelevant. What did you expect to happen, all us Texans embrace you and agree with your taste. Afraid fucking not man, never lived in memphis, not my scene but I have visited a few times so yes my sample size is small but I was not impressed with Rendezvous. Yes the ribs were good but I have 2 places in Texas that immediately come mind that I prefer over them (Truth and Pinkertons), their beans sucked the brisket was awful. yes the atmosphere is great but I was there for the food, obviously taste is subjective but but I do not get the hype

1 hour ago, huge said:

KC is the overrated one.

Like Memphis, it depends where you go and what you get. I've had some barely edible things, but have also had KC burnt ends that would blow your mind. The burnt end burger at Q39 is phenomenal. Just like one shouldn't judge Texas BBQ by  Bill Miller, one shouldn't judge KC BBQ by Gates. 

I was also underwhelmed by Central.

The OG Gus’ is freaking awesome though. Blows the Austin franchise out of the water.

Also, of all things, tamales are great in that area. There’s a history behind Mississippi Delta hot tamales that you can Google for your goddamn self.

Afraid so, and no one here is rejecting memphis bbq or bbq from anywhere else and whether a style is older or no is irrelevant. What did you expect to happen, all us Texans embrace you and agree with your taste. Afraid fucking not man, never lived in memphis, not my scene but I have visited a few times so yes my sample size is small but I was not impressed with Rendezvous. Yes the ribs were good but I have 2 places in Texas that immediately come mind that I prefer over them (Truth and Pinkertons), their beans sucked the brisket was awful. yes the atmosphere is great but I was there for the food, obviously taste is subjective but but I do not get the hype

I lived in Memphis 17 years. My family has been in Texas since before the Alamo. Memphis is a murderous mean ass shithole that has a blues and rock and roll history and barbecue. And St Jude which I hope none of you ever have to experience. And Rendezvous is a tourist trap barbecue factory. You gotta dive into it, no different than some yankee coming here and choosing Dickey’s as their sole sampling of Texas cue.

• 2 weeks later...