Austin Regional Thread

Horny Bull

5 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Put them on the non conference football schedule. I’d love to see us rotate all three of the academies on our non conference as we enter the SEC.  All three branches have a presence within a few hours of Austin too. 

Texas is winless all-time against the Air Force Academy.  They have played a grand total of 1 game against each other, but still.  (It was the 1985 Bluebonnet Bowl and Air Force won 24-16 in case you were wondering.)  I want to schedule them if for no other reason than to eliminate that goose egg from the record.

Texas is 1-0-0 against Army and 2-0-0 against Navy for the record.  I am frankly surprised that Texas has not played more games against Army and Navy.  I would have thought back in the early 20th century they would have played a few times.

Anyway, do not mean to thread-jack.  Congrats to the baseball team for its regional championship tonight.

• Hook 'Em 2

Never seen anything like the end of the game.  The class and respect shown to both sides was first class.  The USA and the standing ovation for the AFA made me proud to be an American and a Texas fan.  Watching the AFA guys take their hats off and stand at attention for the eyes was cool as well.
7 wins to go 

They did it the first time here back in April also . Nothing but class and respect from Coach K and the AFA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Salute to the AFA.  All class.  They can be my wing man anytime.

Supers here we come bitches!

TEXAS!

Yeah that was very cool. Just got back to the thread. Anyone get a good pic of the teams standing together for the Eyes?

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

Dumb question, but I couldn't find the answer by searching online. Where are the Super Regional locations? We're staying in Austin, right?

Won't know until the ECU game tomorrow 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Depends on what happens tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, Fico said:

Won't know until the ECU game tomorrow 

For some stupid reason, I thought everything would be decided by tonight. That explains why we're cheering for the Chanticleers. I've been to Greenville, NC before and it might very well be one of the armpits of North Carolina.

Speaking of Chancticleers, any of you ever saw this animated movie?

Rock-A-Doodle - Rotten Tomatoes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock-a-Doodle

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think this new Elvis movie is loosely based on it

Has to be. The real Elvis was allegedly a pedophile and a racist. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/elvis-presley-paedophile-book-claims-15750260

https://www.nme.com/news/music/quincy-jones-says-he-wouldnt-have-worked-with-elvis-presley-he-was-a-racist-2947261

8 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

30535e0e283aa61a6e715368f00f136f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. Thanks!

Pretty wild when we win a regional with a 10-1 win and what we're talking about the most afterward is how well we got along with and respected the opponent.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

Austin Regional All-Tournament Team

Most Valuable Player – Skyler Messinger, Texas

Catcher – Jorge Corona, Louisiana Tech
First Base  Ivan Melendez*, Texas
Second Base – Trayden Tamiya, Air Force
Third Base  Skyler Messinger*,Texas

Shortstop – Trey Faltine, Texas

Outfield – Jake Greiving, Air Force
Outfield  Murphy Stehly, Texas
Outfield  Dylan Campbell, Texas
Outfield – Gabriel Garcia, Air Force
Designated Hitter  Austin Todd, Texas
Pitcher  Tristan Stevens, Texas
Pitcher – Doyle Gehring, Air Force

Edited by Iguana
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Since #3 Miami is eliminated,  shouldn't that earn us a hosting berth?

Mississippi State is the reigning CWS champion and because we have the most appearances all-time, and MSU didn’t make it to the post season, we have to wait until the East/Coastal Carolina game champ to see what happens.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

For some stupid reason, I thought everything would be decided by tonight. That explains why we're cheering for the Chanticleers. I've been to Greenville, NC before and it might very well be one of the armpits of North Carolina.

Speaking of Chancticleers, any of you ever saw this animated movie?

Rock-A-Doodle - Rotten Tomatoes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock-a-Doodle

Wore out the VHS as a kid. Showed my 6 and 3 year old this spring, it captivated them too!

So, I guess I'm old-fashioned, but in these days, where naked self-interest seems to be at the forefront of all college sports, I am highly gruntled by displays of sportsmanship post-game.

I know AFA is a special case, and post-games are highly truncated by broadcasters, but do we routinely (does anyone) do the "handshake line" anymore?  It seems like we might, but all you ever see is when it "turns back on itself" and it's Texas player on Texas player.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Pierce has had plenty of boneheaded sends and mistakes, but we also have players just flat out making stupid decisions on their own. Running through stop signs, trying to advance to 3rd on a ground ball hit in ground of them with no runner behind them. A lot of baseball 101 stuff that shouldn't need to be taught at this level. Austin Todd is 40 years old with a zillion games of college experience and is one of the worst baserunners I've ever seen. Passed up a runner in front of him on the basepaths earlier this year and then 2 days later almost did the exact same thing again. Hodo going on first movement yesterday on a 3-2 count when he hasn't seen the guys pickoff move at all.

Working on baserunning tomorrow during practice isn't solving the baserunning IQ some of these guys have. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Pierce has had plenty of boneheaded sends and mistakes, but we also have players just flat out making stupid decisions on their own. Running through stop signs, trying to advance to 3rd on a ground ball hit in ground of them with no runner behind them. A lot of baseball 101 stuff that shouldn't need to be taught at this level. Austin Todd is 40 years old with a zillion games of college experience and is one of the worst baserunners I've ever seen. Passed up a runner in front of him on the basepaths earlier this year and then 2 days later almost did the exact same thing again. Hodo going on first movement yesterday on a 3-2 count when he hasn't seen the guys pickoff move at all.

Working on baserunning tomorrow during practice isn't solving the baserunning IQ some of these guys have. 

sure the baserunner has to understand the situation and adjust.  agree, our base running IQ leaves much to be desired.  it's exacerbated by our 3rd base coach and I have heard Pierce talk about being aggressive.  that message, while good in general, can get taken too far.

the problem I had with sending Melendez is he's not fast and he isn't really the guy you want trying to avoid a tag at the plate, he's not real "nimble".  2 outs OK, one out hold him and try to score on a sac fly. he got hurt the last time we did almost the exact same thing and if you saw his "slide" he almost fucked himself up again.

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the problem I had with sending Melendez is he's not fast and he isn't really the guy you want trying to avoid a tag at the plate, he's not real "nimble".  2 outs OK, one out hold him and try to score on a sac fly. he got hurt the last time we did almost the exact same thing and if you saw his "slide" he almost fucked himself up again.

That's my problem with sending Ivan -- he's so valuable, and a contested play at home is probably the single riskiest situation to put him in as far as potential injury is concerned.  It's just not worth it.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

sure the baserunner has to understand the situation and adjust.  agree, our base running IQ leaves much to be desired.  it's exacerbated by our 3rd base coach and I have heard Pierce talk about being aggressive.  that message, while good in general, can get taken too far.

from the stands behind first base, all i could think watching that "slide" was poetry in motion.

horrible, stupid decision to send him.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, someguy said:

to continue with the good vibes, about an hour before the game, when AF was starting to warm up, CJ Dornak was walking by the left field stands.  He had thrown the last few innings in the afternoon game.  There was a kid with a glove in the stands, so Dornak struck up a conversation and started playing catch with the kid.  Soon, every kid with a glove made a beeline to the section and before long, Dornak was playing catch with about 10-15 kids.  He was chatting them up and being real friendly.  Some of the kids were trying to show off their arms and were absolutely gunning it at him point blank, and he just made jokes about how he was only a pitcher and not a fielder and was lucky to catch such fast throws.  He kept at it for maybe 20 minutes or so.  When he finally had to go he came up with some trivia question for the kids and the one who got it right got to keep the ball.  As he walked off the adults in the section gave him a huge ovation, and you could see him get a little emotional.  

Stuff like this is why I love baseball.  AF is a class act team.

Very cool. I watch a lot of sports, and baseball is the only sport I know of that really makes grown men act and feel like little boys. It's just the best...

How can you not be romantic about baseball?

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah that was pretty special lol.

1 hour ago, BillyGoatHill said:

In case you didn't get to witness Coach K & Air Force Baseball this year in person, but would like too.... you'll get your chance next April as they are already scheduled for a midweek contest. 🤘

Awesome news. For those of y'all that where at the game or missed them, the in-game interviews are legendary. Here are the ones from the regular season, haven't seen the regional ones yet. 

Edited by Fico
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2