EPL 2022-23: Worldo Cuptus Interuptus

maninblack

Let's get it going. Main storylines:

1.) Schedule: Early season kick on August 6th to accommodate FIFA's corrupt World Cup in Qatar

2022/23 English football calendar key dates

Premier League season begins August 6
International breaks Weekend of September 24; November 13 – December 25
Premier League season ends May 28
EFL Cup final February 26
FA Cup final June 3
UEFA Champions League final June 10
UEFA Europa League final May 31
UEFA Europa Conference League final June 7

2.) Will City break through in Europe? Pep has been given everything he ever wanted but all of the domestic trophies in the world can't mask his failures in Europe. Will this be the year the sports doping experiment is a success?

3.) How do Liverpool cope with the possible loss of Mane and/or Mo? Big summer on the horizon for LFC as one if not both of the talismanic Forwards could be off. How will Jurgen and LFC pivot if they're not in the squad next season?

4.) Chelsea's new ownership era: How will Chelsea cope without a sugar daddy to float the club? Will the new American owners be more like FSG or the Glazers?

5.) Does Conte stick around at Spurs? Getting top 4 makes it more likely now but he never appeared to be 100% in on the Spurs project from the outside looking in. If he sticks how much will Levy back him this summer?

6.) Fulham, Bournemouth and Nottingham Forest come up. Will they be able to stay out of relegation heap with Everton? Time will tell.

7.) Jon Moss, Martin Atkinson, Mike Dean and Andre Marriner all retiring. Halle-fucking-lujah. New guys can't be worse, can they?

8.) Does Sidis stick or twist? The ongoing transfer drama of Sidis from his chosen club, Everton, to somewhere else in the country will be one to follow. My guess is they'll be transfer request submitted after Fat Frank is canned.

Add any interesting ones you can think of.

Edited by maninblack
  • Hook 'Em 1

• maninblack changed the title to EPL 2022-23: Who survives the World Cup fuckery?

I was thinking EPL 2022-23: World Cuptus Interuptus, but the idea is the same. This schedule is jam packed.

You don't even have the full European Cup dates on that schedule:

Matchday 1: 6-8 Sept 2022
Matchday 2: 13-15 Sept 2022
Matchday 3: 4-6 Oct 2022
Matchday 4: 11-13 Oct 2022
Matchday 5: 25-27 Oct 2022
Matchday 6: 1-3 Nov 2022
Europa & Conference League KO Round/UCL Round of 16 Leg 1: 14 Feb - 23 Feb 2023
Europa & Conference League Round of 16/UCL Round of 16 Leg 2: 7 Mar - 16 Mar 2023
Quarterfinals: April 11-19, 2023
Semifinals: May 9-17, 2023
Europa Finals: 31 May 2023
Europa CL Finals: 7 June 2023
Champions League Final: June 10, 2023

Or the EFL dates for the fall ("week of" dates):

Round One – 10 August, 2022
Round Two – 24 August, 2022 (13 non European EPL teams join this round)
Round Three – 9 November, 2022 (7 European EPL teams join this round)
Round Four – 21 December, 2022
Quarter-Final – 11 January, 2023
Semi-Final First Leg – 25 January, 2023
Semi-Final Second Leg – 1 February, 2023 (two-leg ties? WTF is this shit in THIS year of all seasons!?!?!?!?!!!!!)
Final – 26 February, 2023

Or the FA Cup "week of" dates:

Round One "Proper" - 5 Nov 2022
Round Two - 26 Nov 2022
Round Three - 7 Jan 2023 (EPL teams join this round)
Round Four - 28 Jan 2023
Round Five - 1 March 2023
Quarter-Finals - 18 March 2023
Semi-Finals - 22 April 2023
Finals - 3 June 2023 

• Hook 'Em 1

I worry that Southampton will get relegated - pretty much the same worry I have had for the last 4 summers.

I worry that Southampton will not/is unable to keep up with the spending required to compete in the League

I worry Southampton will lose James Ward Prowse to the Top 6.

There is no hope in qualifying for Europa or Champions League. There is no hope in winning a title.

Maybe I get excited about the new kit, or a snarky tweet from the Saints marketing department.

Not much to look forward to.

Edited by yoladu

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

We're finishing 3rd or 4th and there's not a God damn thing anyone can do about it. 

I mean, there's an entire transfer window coming and a new ownership group probably eager to show that they're in this to win.  We might oughtta see the roster before we project that we'll be the same as last season or worse.

• maninblack changed the title to EPL 2022-23: Worldo Cuptus Interuptus

Going back to the tightened schedule again - I read something that showed that the EPL is supposed to play 16 matchdays BEFORE the World Cup Break.

Just doing some back of the napkin math, I count 28 potential match days between the start of the season (Aug 6) and the World Cup break, week end being a match day, mid week being another.

1 is lost to the Sept 24th international break

6 are lost to the European dates

The EFL Cup has 2 dates in there (though not everyone in the EPL is playing both)

Now that math is slightly skewed, European EPL teams are only featured in 8 of those days, while those not in European competitions only play potentially a max of 3.

But still, that leaves only 3 open dates on the calendar. Talk about a big yikes!

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is that NBC is making some on air talent changes. Arlo White is out. Peter Drury will replace him as the lead play by play man. He was with CBS on their Champions League coverage the past few years. 

https://theathletic.com/news/peter-drury-nbc-premier-league/w963MSx4XLh3/

To remind you of his voice 

• Hook 'Em 1

For any wondering why the change?

A. the contracts of the on air talent ended when NBC's old deal did, this summer, so the opportunity was there.

B. some have speculated (as the Athletic article does) that it had something to do with the Newcastle incident (for non-subscribers):\

White came under fire in October in the wake of the Newcastle takeover for not alluding to the controversy and civil rights atrocities surrounding the Saudi Arabian involvement, and doubled down on Twitter in a potentially unprofessional way.

As a whole I think Drury will be a fine replacement, just punch his name into YouTube, you will get hours of calls. He is dubbed, the football poet by some.

This was posted on last season's thread, I thought I would move it over here for a little more discussion

On 5/31/2022 at 3:19 PM, MoJames said:

Swiss Ramble did some talk on it today that really expands on this and notes that not all those numbers mean the same thing

TL;DR - the definition of debt is really complex, those numbers in a vacuums are kind of pointless.

This chart doesn't even include Chelsea which has 1.5 Billion in debt to Abromovich or a lot of other debt that clubs have (for example when you lump it all together Spurs could have a debt number of over a billion).

But their biggest point is that not all debt is the same, there is long term (which Is mostly what Spurs have) and short term (see Barcelona). And you can go well beyond even those simplified terms, Facility debt (Spurs & Liverpool), Leveraged buy out debt (ManU), Transfer debt (a lot of Barcelona's issue), Operational debt (many Spanish clubs), etc.

If you have about 20 minutes, the twitter thread is a good read.

• Hook 'Em 1

Leeds Leeds Leeds Leeds Leeds Leeds . . . 
Jesse Marsch Jesse Marsch Jesse Marsch Jesse Marsch Jesse Marsch . . . 
Brenden Aaronson Brenden Aaronson Brenden Aaronson Brenden Aaronson Brenden Aaronson . . .

Leeds Jesse Marsch Brenden Aaronson Pulisic Leeds . . . Jesse Aaronson. . . Brenden Marsch [full stop]

I am going to post this across a few threads, because it should be widely seen, read:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jun/07/uefa-safety-consultant-quit-expressed-concerns-february-steve-frosdick

Revealed: Uefa safety consultant quit and expressed concerns in February

This wasn't just a little guy, but a high ranking consultant within UEFA. He had his role diminished since Ceferin took over as UEFA President and installed Zeljko Pavlica as the head of UEFA security. Pavlica and Ceferin are close friends with Ceferin being Pavlica's best man at his wedding in 2018.

Edited by Captain Ron

Steve Frosdick is the security guy that quit earlier this year, former cop turned career stadium security official (2-3 decades of experience). He had expressed concerns over the direction that Pavlica had taken security:

He is said to have become seriously unhappy with the direction of the department which since last year has been headed by Zeljko Pavlica, a close friend of the Uefa president, Aleksandr Ceferin. Frosdick is said to have believed that Uefa’s professionalism, expertise and development were being undermined, and he rejected a proposal to revise his contract, that would have downgraded his role.

Four months after he quit the Europa and Champions League finals occurred each with their own issues. The Champions League issues are well known. Europa saw issues like a lack of water at the venue, despite the temperatures. 

The main point here though is that it continues to appear UEFA ineptitude and not fan behavior was the cause of the issues surrounding these finals.

Edited by Captain Ron

2 hours ago, maninblack said:

Premier League to scrap fixtures between Boxing Day and New Year in a shake-up for the 22/23 season. The traditional Dec 28/29 games will be moved in a bid to ease clubs back in after the World Cup. Fixtures to be confirmed on Thursday.

middle finger GIF by Matthew Mann

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

i suppose this is as appropriate a place to post this as any, so here goes. i was walking back to my crib from the pool today when i started freestyling soccer stylies, and i spit a couple of tight lines, so when i got to my apartment i started a new freestyle, and i started it off with the bars that i had just spit which referenced soccer. here are the first 15 seconds of that freestyle, the soccer portion. not gonna lie, i've got bars. it is what it is. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

and in case its unintelligible:

check the resume/i'm throwed like a trebuchet/black and white stripe tight like david trezeguet/i'm gettin old been a whole since i seen a pitch/but i'm still balling like my name was ibrahimovic/ while you boys switch teams like pogba/but i put the team on my back like drogba 

Edited by shadow_operative

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i suppose this is as appropriate a place to post this as any, so here goes. i was walking back to my crib from the pool today when i started freestyling soccer stylies, and i spit a couple of tight lines, so when i got to my apartment i started a new freestyle, and i started it off with the bars that i had just spit which referenced soccer. here are the first 15 seconds of that freestyle, the soccer portion. not gonna lie, i've got bars. it is what it is. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

and in case its unintelligible:

check the resume/i'm throwed like a trebuchet/black and white stripe tight like david trezeguet/i'm gettin old been a whole since i seen a pitch/but i'm still balling like my name was ibrahimovic/ while you boys switch teams like pogba/but i put the team on my back like drogba 

You sound like Paul Wall.

Also, have you gained weight?