EPL 2022-23: Worldo Cuptus Interuptus

maninblack

16 hours ago, MoJames said:

rxvsc3vwu8i91.jpg

4 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

I can’t believe I read that whole thing while knowing the obvious punch line was coming.

i honestly did a double take to see who posted that. i couldn't believe it was mo...

someone talk me out of this...i've had to travel to the u.k. a few times over last few years for various reasons and have schemed to get to a game but whatever circumstances have gotten in the way every time...so i am thinking about doing a trip for the express purpose of going to games...but want to maximize.

i spreadsheeted the season and built a model to maximize game quality, distance efficiency, and near certainty of no chance of overlapping times/days.  someone talk me out of or tell me what i'm not thinking of.

ba direct from austin to lhr on 4/23, arrive 4/24. 

evening of 4/25 (tuesday): whl2.0 for united at spurs.

evening of 4/26 (wednesday): stamford bridge for brentford (who has started pretty scrappy) at chelsea.

weekend of 4/29: arsenal and chelsea at emirates.  arsenal is at home the weekend before but play southampton so i think it is worth to push to the next weekend for a derby. 

the arsenal home game is the one that gives me some consternation and doesn't allow me to book a ticket home yet.  it won't be until probably january or february that they make the schedule that weekend so i won't know if the game ends up being saturday, sunday, or even possibly monday.  champions league is 4/18 and 4/19 so the tuesday/wednesday games are safe and already have established times so i'm pretty confident in those games happening.  but the best fixture of the three is no doubt the derby (and is a good opportunity for arsenal and chelsea to complete their auditions for my new fandom).  that 4/29 weekend also has spurs at liverpool so i don't think arsenal-chelsea necessarily gets moved to sunday or monday but good chance of at least sunday.  anyway, i think i am going to do this.  what am i not considering that fucks this up?

29 minutes ago, sidis said:

someone talk me out of this...i've had to travel to the u.k. a few times over last few years for various reasons and have schemed to get to a game but whatever circumstances have gotten in the way every time...so i am thinking about doing a trip for the express purpose of going to games...but want to maximize.

i spreadsheeted the season and built a model to maximize game quality, distance efficiency, and near certainty of no chance of overlapping times/days.  someone talk me out of or tell me what i'm not thinking of.

ba direct from austin to lhr on 4/23, arrive 4/24. 

evening of 4/25 (tuesday): whl2.0 for united at spurs.

evening of 4/26 (wednesday): stamford bridge for brentford (who has started pretty scrappy) at chelsea.

weekend of 4/29: arsenal and chelsea at emirates.  arsenal is at home the weekend before but play southampton so i think it is worth to push to the next weekend for a derby. 

the arsenal home game is the one that gives me some consternation and doesn't allow me to book a ticket home yet.  it won't be until probably january or february that they make the schedule that weekend so i won't know if the game ends up being saturday, sunday, or even possibly monday.  champions league is 4/18 and 4/19 so the tuesday/wednesday games are safe and already have established times so i'm pretty confident in those games happening.  but the best fixture of the three is no doubt the derby (and is a good opportunity for arsenal and chelsea to complete their auditions for my new fandom).  that 4/29 weekend also has spurs at liverpool so i don't think arsenal-chelsea necessarily gets moved to sunday or monday but good chance of at least sunday.  anyway, i think i am going to do this.  what am i not considering that fucks this up?

I have no idea but I'm glad you are embracing your new fandom.

20 hours ago, MoJames said:

One thing someone mentioned in discussion about this incident is that it appears that the EPL and likely other leagues, treat hair pulling like the NFL - not really that bad.

I would ask this - in any of the big 5 leagues, have you ever seen a red card for hair pulling?

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I would ask this - in any of the big 5 leagues, have you ever seen a red card for hair pulling?

I have not seen a red card for hair pulling. I have not read through the rules, but is it either a no call or a red card re: hair pulling?

22 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I have not seen a red card for hair pulling. I have not read through the rules, but is it either a no call or a red card re: hair pulling?

I had a discussion on this on the Spurs thread that I was thinking about putting in here, but didn't at the time.

This thread fills in a lot more details, I recommend reading it all (7 posts).

The TL;DR is that once they looked at it with VAR, the were only determining violent conduct and it needed to be red card worthy.

The basic gist of this thread is once it went to VAR, it was only to check if this was a red card. VAR is only used for 4 things:

• Goal/no goal (this would have been the first spurs goal had they decided to look at the foul by Bentacour - no goal because of a preceding foul)
  • Penalty/no penalty
  • Possible red card (this is what the call against Romero would have needed to be)
  • Mistaken identity

They can't and won't ever re-referee situations. THUS they can't say that was a foul, we missed it, going the other way.

It was also noted that hair pulling is not part of the rules for striking the head/face - which is an automatic red card.

The end of all this, unless they determined it was violent conduct, they weren't making this a red card and they couldn't make this call.

Now that being said - I can't disagree with the last post on that thread - pulling a dude's hair like Romero did seems to be textbook violent conduct. But that again goes back to the question I asked the first time, have we ever seen a red card for a similar incident?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/17/2022 at 5:59 PM, shadow_operative said:

Jose tried to warn Dele Alli. This is some great video, especially considering what's happening with Dele's career.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChXxh6Lgl7X/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I can't help but think that insane goal he scored against Palace might have been among the worst things for his career. That was literally all of the talent he had manifesting in a single moment and he would never again achieve that high.

This link is that goal queued up. https://youtu.be/VtBw_EDp6jw?t=335

He would peak in terms of scoring the next season and then he would start to fade.

https://fbref.com/en/players/cea4ee8f/Dele-Alli

I'm not sure what's going on with him, but I hope he figures it out.

14 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Now that being said - I can't disagree with the last post on that thread - pulling a dude's hair like Romero did seems to be textbook violent conduct. But that again goes back to the question I asked the first time, have we ever seen a red card for a similar incident?

Nope, not yet. What will happen is there will be an adjustment to the rules this offseason to define what hair pulling means as far as foul, etc. I don't think it should be a red card. I do think it should be a foul.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

For what?  

For the top 2 spots. Meaning I think that instead of being lumped in the 3-5 strata with Chelsea and spurs, they are going to add a third to the top strata. There has been a massive gap between 2 and 3 for a while. 

Edited by sidis

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

For the top 2 spots. Meaning I think that instead of being lumped in the 3-5 strata with Chelsea and spurs, they are going to add a third to the top strata. There has been a massive gap between 2 and 3 for a while. 

I know what you meant, lol.

I still think City and Pool are head and shoulders above everybody else, but we'll see.  Arsenal certainly are putting it in the net.

Edited by TexArcher

1 minute ago, midtown said:

Very aggy.   3 matches vs bottom half clubs and they are all of a sudden top 2?  LOL

I don't think Sidis is an Arsenal fan, but yea last year we would have absolutely done something like go 1-1-1 in this stretch....or worse.   But sure this isn't anything to start sucking dicks over other than so far it looks a lot better than recent vintages of Arsenal.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I’ll bet you $50 that no club will Arsenal don’t finish within 12 points of City this season. 

FIFY.  Shit Pool look lost without Mane are in a relegation match tomorrow

Edited by midtown

5 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I’ll bet you $50 that Arsenal don’t finish within 12 points of City this season. 

Sure. Done. 

I still believe that city will win the league of course but I think arsenal will press them in addition to just Liverpool as it has been for a while. 

they are flying. And yes, it is only three games but last year after three games, the did not have a single point. This is a good team. Injuries and natural attrition/valleys will occur but this is a damned good team.