EPL 2022-23: Worldo Cuptus Interuptus

maninblack

everyone in the relegation race is rooting for southampton today.  it brings them somewhat into the fold as well but with forest's remaining schedule, they would be in serious trouble.

after today, the relegation battle teams have the following schedules...

everton: city, wolves, bournemouth.

forest: arsenal, chelsea, palace.

leeds: newcastle, west ham, spurs.

leicester: liverpool, newcastle, west ham.

southampton: fulham, brighton, liverpool.

On 5/30/2022 at 11:30 AM, maninblack said:

2.) Will City break through in Europe? Pep has been given everything he ever wanted but all of the domestic trophies in the world can't mask his failures in Europe. Will this be the year the sports doping experiment is a success?

3.) How do Liverpool cope with the possible loss of Mane and/or Mo? Big summer on the horizon for LFC as one if not both of the talismanic Forwards could be off. How will Jurgen and LFC pivot if they're not in the squad next season?

4.) Chelsea's new ownership era: How will Chelsea cope without a sugar daddy to float the club? Will the new American owners be more like FSG or the Glazers?

5.) Does Conte stick around at Spurs? Getting top 4 makes it more likely now but he never appeared to be 100% in on the Spurs project from the outside looking in. If he sticks how much will Levy back him this summer?

6.) Fulham, Bournemouth and Nottingham Forest come up. Will they be able to stay out of relegation heap with Everton? Time will tell.

7.) Jon Moss, Martin Atkinson, Mike Dean and Andre Marriner all retiring. Halle-fucking-lujah. New guys can't be worse, can they?

8.) Does Sidis stick or twist? The ongoing transfer drama of Sidis from his chosen club, Everton, to somewhere else in the country will be one to follow. My guess is they'll be transfer request submitted after Fat Frank is canned.

2.) Probably

3.) Not great

4.) Sugar daddy floating club, but results are not great

5.) Nope

6.) Fulham and Bournemouth look safe, Everton not so much

7.) Not great

8.) He's stuck, in Championship League

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sidis said:

mojames dumpster diving inspired me to go back through the early days of the thread.

@Firemans4Horn, if Arsenal achieve another point in its last three games, it is mathematically impossible for them to finish more than 12 points off of city.

whenever arsenal draws or wins, you can contribute the $50 to central texas meals on wheels (https://www.mealsonwheelscentraltexas.org/).

please make it in the name of "klopp is a whiny bell end."

thx.

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/9/2023 at 11:06 AM, sidis said:

@Firemans4Horn, if Arsenal achieve another point in its last three games, it is mathematically impossible for them to finish more than 12 points off of city.

whenever arsenal draws or wins, you can contribute the $50 to central texas meals on wheels (https://www.mealsonwheelscentraltexas.org/).

please make it in the name of "klopp is a whiny bell end."

thx.

Don't spike the ball on the one yard line.  If Arsenal fail to earn another point this season, I know who to blame. 

On 6/7/2022 at 11:30 AM, Napoleon said:

Leeds Leeds Leeds Leeds Leeds Leeds . . . 
Jesse Marsch Jesse Marsch Jesse Marsch Jesse Marsch Jesse Marsch . . . 
Brenden Aaronson Brenden Aaronson Brenden Aaronson Brenden Aaronson Brenden Aaronson . . .

Leeds Jesse Marsch Brenden Aaronson Pulisic Leeds . . . Jesse Aaronson. . . Brenden Marsch [full stop]

On 7/28/2022 at 5:49 PM, ztejas said:

TA is tailor-fucking made for the PL. I'll definitely have to tune in to Leeds some this season. 

On 8/5/2022 at 11:13 AM, ztejas said:

Leeds is going to be salty and not sweat relegation. 

Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Don't spike the ball on the one yard line.  If Arsenal fail to earn another point this season, I know who to blame. 

fair point...but arsenal have brighton, nottingham forest, and wolves to finish so if they do not gain another point, then that's an arsenal problem, not a me problem.

also, everton will make it moot this weekend by forcing city to drop points. 😇

23 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

In my defense - TA was great and him getting injured will be one of the biggest reasons they get sent down if they do. 

Also that was the bold prediction/hot take line item. My worst entry was Fulham getting relegated. Well that and Chelsea being 20 points out of the top 5. 

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

In my defense - TA was great and him getting injured will be one of the biggest reasons they get sent down if they do. 

Also that was the bold prediction/hot take line item. My worst entry was Fulham getting relegated. Well that and Chelsea being 20 points out of the top 5. 

Yeah I was laughing at my predictions.

• Top 5
    • Chelsea
    • Liverpool
    • Manchester City
    • Arsenal
    • Newcastle
  • Bottom 3
    • Forest
    • Fulham
    • Leeds
  • Golden Boot Winner
    • Salah
  • Biggest Surprise
    • The last moment move of Ronaldo to Newcastle
  • Biggest Flop
    • Richarlison

Top 5 is bad, but I can't help but put Chelsea first.

Bottom 3 is pretty great

Salah was alright, but behind quite a shadow on golden boot.

Ronaldo to Newcastle could still happen imo

Biggest flop was pretty spot on

LOL:

IMG_1946.thumb.jpeg.3f383f549f681b5de2f04a8fca8e049f.jpeg
As a Chelsea fan, it'll always be a lingering "what if" for me... what if Lampard was successful in his pursuit of Haaland in 2019.

Kid is breaking records while we are, umm, going to have a big say in the relegation run in.

51 minutes ago, APMP said:

As a Chelsea fan, it'll always be a lingering "what if" for me... what if Lampard was successful in his pursuit of Haaland in 2019.

Kid is breaking records while we are, umm, going to have a big say in the relegation run in.

i wasn't an arsenal fan at the time, but knowing that cristiano was *coming to arsenal*, with everything in place but the signature being signed before someone at Man U made the decision to offer him triple the salary at the last second...man. really wild to think about how different epl history would have been. 

Edited by shadow_operative

Villa are playing a well-coordinated defensive line, catching Spurs offside on numerous occasions today... but they're playing with fire.

Also... I continue to fucking HATE the delayed offside flag raise. When it's obvious, raise it straight away.

Arsenal doesn't have the depth City does.  Neither do any of the other clubs really.  That was always going to be a problem in the long run, compounded somewhat by the peculiarities of this season.  Yea, we bottled it a bit but when a few key guys went down the next level was too big a drop-off.  Unfortunately, one can't outspend City to fix that problem so gonna have to keep finding some diamonds.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Arsenal doesn't have the depth City does.  Neither do any of the other clubs really.  That was always going to be a problem in the long run, compounded somewhat by the peculiarities of this season.  Yea, we bottled it a bit but when a few key guys went down the next level was too big a drop-off.  Unfortunately, one can't outspend City to fix that problem so gonna have to keep finding some diamonds.  

This is how I approach any Liverpool season now. I have to hope we put together pieces that can sustain a high level against the Machine. That's why the drop off may be even wider when Klopp leaves. Liverpool will never go toe-to-toe with the clubs that can spend more, see us bowing out of the Jude sweepstakes. I think that's true of any American run club. So Klopp has to find the gems that cost a lot less and hope they convert into diamonds like Salah and Mane did. Sure, VvD was a given as was Alisson. That's why the club spent more for them. But that's few and far between and I'm just glad Barcelona was dumb enough to overpay for Coutinho. We Dortmunded our way to a championship.  

I'm just worried we're turning into the Bundesliga with one club that's just going to dominate into perpetuity. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Hopefully Pep gets bored after winning the treble and leaves. City only won two PLs before he arrived. It’s not just that they spend; it’s that they spend smartly and have the best manager of his generation whipping them into a machine. 

Edited by Dutch

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Hopefully Pep gets bored after winning the treble and leaves. City only won two PLs before he arrived. It’s not just that they spend; it’s that they spend smartly and have the best manager of his generation whipping them into a machine. 

Yeah, I've been waiting for Pep to go to a team where I could cheer for him again

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

I'm just worried we're turning into the Bundesliga with one club that's just going to dominate into perpetuity. 

Turning?  A little late for that.

Edited by WBT

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

This is how I approach any Liverpool season now. I have to hope we put together pieces that can sustain a high level against the Machine. That's why the drop off may be even wider when Klopp leaves. Liverpool will never go toe-to-toe with the clubs that can spend more, see us bowing out of the Jude sweepstakes. I think that's true of any American run club. So Klopp has to find the gems that cost a lot less and hope they convert into diamonds like Salah and Mane did. Sure, VvD was a given as was Alisson. That's why the club spent more for them. But that's few and far between and I'm just glad Barcelona was dumb enough to overpay for Coutinho. We Dortmunded our way to a championship.  

i guess everyone has their thing.

I couldn't even tell you what placing as high as 5th place in the PL even feels like.