Cheers

It’s currently streaming on Hulu, Paramount +, and Peacock. I’ve watched it in bits and pieces on syndication, but this is my first watch all the way through. 

Terrific show. Danson nails the ex jock/playboy. He has range. It’s good to see him be challenged as an actor. You feel his love for Coach, and his struggles with alcohol. I like him as the distinguished white hair gentleman, but Cheers was his best role. 

Shelley Long was also excellent. She grows on you, but even when she’s annoying you can see why she got the role. 

Coach, portrayed by the late, great Nicholas Colasanto, was my favorite. I just finished the last full episode with Coach and I’m tearing up a little bit. Cheerio Cheers, Season 3 Episode 22. He appears in the cold open for the Season 3 finale, but that’s it. Just a wonderful, funny, and sweet man. His personality reminds me of my grandfather. Both the actor and my papa were Italian and in the Navy. Some physical similarities as well. 

Old timers was Colasanto sick during the filming of Season 3? He had this weird unexplained absence in the middle and back half of the season. My parents told me about his death when we watched it together. They said it was very sad, unexpected, and a big story. Cheers was the popular show in the US at the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 7

I thought this would almost certainly be that it's getting a reboot. I mean, it's inevitable, right? Like all popular shows from the past? Maybe they'll go all dark and serious like Fresh Prince, lol. Seriously, Danson seems to be hitting his stride again and doesn't look that much older, Woody is still kicking and also looks about the same. I'm sure someone will pitch it soon enough.

Along those lines, what other spinoffs had as much success as Frasier? They seem to rarely succeed, and that's the only one that comes to mind that was as popular as the original, or at least close. I'm sure there are others, I'm not a TV buff, curious if others have been as successful. I know Happy Days had some successful spin offs, but not sure if they were the same level of popularity or longevity as Frasier.

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The series regulars were also great. The guest stars knocked it out the park. Harry Anderson and Kelsey Grammer were so good they got their own shows. 

I can see why Cheers won so many Emmys. No show has done the heart and humor better. 

Always thought Henri was good, didn’t much care restaurant owner from upstairs. 

Henri and Sam competing for the most phone numbers. Sam breaking out his Babe Kit. Henri winning, but Sam leaving for the night with multiple women on his arms while the bar regulars chant "U-S-A!!!" was so great. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

I thought this would almost certainly be that it's getting a reboot. I mean, it's inevitable, right? Like all popular shows from the past? Maybe they'll go all dark and serious like Fresh Prince, lol. Seriously, Danson seems to be hitting his stride again and doesn't look that much older, Woody is still kicking and also looks about the same. I'm sure someone will pitch it soon enough.

They could bring it back.

It's also a part of the St. Elsewhere Snow Globe Universe since Dr. Westphall and Dr. Auschlander visited Cheers (in a St. Elsewhere episode), and the actor that played Tommy Westphall is still alive, so they could go that route.

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

Along those lines, what other spinoffs had as much success as Frasier? They seem to rarely succeed, and that's the only one that comes to mind that was as popular as the original, or at least close. I'm sure there are others, I'm not a TV buff, curious if others have been as successful. I know Happy Days had some successful spin offs, but not sure if they were the same level of popularity or longevity as Frasier.

Frasier for longevity but there were a bunch of successful spinoffs back in the 70s and 80s.  The Jeffersons, Good Times, Maude all came from All in the Family.  Benson came from Soap, Laverne and Shirley plus  Mork and Mindy from Happy Days, Facts of Life was from Different Strokes I think.  

As far as Cheers it was just a great show for so long and with different casts which you rarely see.  The Diane/Coach years and the Rebecca/Woody years are both great yet different.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Deej said:

If it wasn't for Coach, I wouldn't remember shit about Albania. 

I also liked how he fell down the stairs in order to get a woman to go out with him. He was also skilled at taking a pitch to the head.

Woody was a perfect replacement after Nick passed away.

”Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly, K-E-L-L-Y”

• Haha 2

This from memory, no looking at clips, so may not be 100%.

Coach- “Albania, Albania, you border on the Adriatic.”

Henri- “France wins! France wins”

Norm- “you don’t hear that everyday”

Sam (regarding the contest with Henri as he leaves with 3-4 stewardess).

”congratulations on the contest or whatever”

Last line in the show

Sam- “I’m the luckiest son of a bitch in the world”

I’m a fan.

• Like 2

I am a HUGE Seinfeld nerd and was lucky enough to grow up in the heyday of Thursday night nbc must see TV and then on to arrested development and the streaming era, etc.

But in terms of pound for pound best overall feel good and laugh hard (with an occasional tear or two) series, I don’t know if Cheers can ever be beat. And every era is great for its own reasons and the whole series just seemed to naturally evolve as the cast did because if the timelessness of Woody, Sam, Norm, Carla and Cliff as the anchors.

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

NORM!

My husband uses his lines, especially 'it's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear.'

Thanks for posting the clip, @Deej

The episode when Diane walks in and complains that the bar never greets her like Norm. 

Sam tells her to walk out and come back in. 

When she walks back in, everyone exclaims, "Norm!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They just don’t make shows like this anymore.  Colasanto as Coach was a national treasure.  

During a marathon rewatch, I noticed that this show vividly captures the transition from the 80’s to the 90’s.   It’s pretty fascinating to watch.  

One of my favorite scenes is when they convince Cliff not to run off to Canada with his girlfriend (who got fired from the USPS for driving her mail truck to a motel rendezvous with Cliff) by singing the Ballad of the Green Berets.  

• Hook 'Em 1

You have to give the writers a lot of credit. They pushed the sexual tension between Sam and Diane as far as they could, then when they finally get them together, they made them more miserable than they were before. 

30 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

John Ratzenberger has no ego. He’s a big star on Cheers, but he’s written as an incel, postman, that lives with his mother. 

I’m sure the networks made it worth his while, but that’s a tough hand to cash in on. 

He helped get the Rebel Alliance off Hoth before Vadar squashed them....he had done enough to go on back home and live with ma.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’ve enjoyed many sitcoms over the years, but Cheers is probably still my favorite, and it would be hard to imagine one surpassing it. Just so smartly written, and having watched it back all the way thru a couple years ago (maybe a Covid thing), I really appreciated Shelley Long. She’s just fucking brilliant, and willing to be a pompous ass. It was apparently almost Fred Dryer as a washed up football player/bar owner and Julia Duffy as the Diane character, but Charles/Burrows/Charles thought Danson was more believable as an ex-jock (Dryer always got a kick out of that). Danson’s only real claims to fame were the supporting role in Body Heat and he was the face of a cologne on commercials, can’t remember which one. 

Want to catch the brilliance in about two minutes? Just watch the end of S1, Ep2, when Diane claimed Sam only dated bimbos, and a smart woman would see thru his BS. Even that early, they had something special.

This was my first real favorite "adult" TV show. Hell, we made the opening theme song our HS graduating class song in 1991. Loved Cheers. Ted Danson has been great in everything he's done since this too. I admit I haven't watched it in decades but Cheers was fantastic. Seinfeld is my favorite network sitcom ever but Cheers was my first love.

I used to fall asleep watching Cheers at 10:30 pm after local news all through high school. Now I have a Pavlovian response every time I hear the saxophone start to play the theme song and immediately fall asleep.

I love the early episodes with coach and Diane but the show just got better when Woody, Rebecca and Frasier/Lillith came along.

Agree that the episodes with rivalry with Gary’s old town tavern were the best.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Deej said:

Henri and Sam competing for the most phone numbers. Sam breaking out his Babe Kit. Henri winning, but Sam leaving for the night with multiple women on his arms while the bar regulars chant "U-S-A!!!" was so great. 

I had tears when he pulled out the Members Only jacket.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just reminiscing on some of the most laugh out loud episodes or scenes and Cliff’s “blind date” with the can of corn is one of the funniest scenes in the whole series and that’s saying a lot. The way he says “carn” and the way he whips off his clip-on tie. Brilliant.

Kelly and Woody’s wedding episode is up there, too.