Cheers

On 5/30/2022 at 1:19 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

The series regulars were also great. The guest stars knocked it out the park. Harry Anderson and Kelsey Grammer were so good they got their own shows. 

I can see why Cheers won so many Emmys. No show has done the heart and humor better. 

Pretty close between Cheers and Taxi, the latter of which doesn't get nearly enough love.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, DougO said:

Pretty close between Cheers and Taxi, the latter of which doesn't get nearly enough love.

Taxi was short-lived, comparatively, and once they changed networks, it kinda changed. 

Norm getting a job as a taster at the brewery was pretty good.

Also, the episode where Sam played a charity baseball game against Playboy playmates that included Jeana Tomasino, who had made an impression on me when I was younger, was a favorite. (I can’t post certain pics here but you can search them out easily enough.)

1788EA80-F82D-49E2-BE58-482F78F9ED85.jpeg.8573d9335c2977d0cf29c9355440540c.jpeg

Season 2 Ep1 is maybe the funniest episode of the whole run.

Diane: I know that you must be curious about what Sam and I were talking about. We want to be totally honest with you. Um... [clears throat] It is said that fools rush in where wise men fear to tread. But the heart has a wisdom of its own and Sam and I have decided to traverse the fall line of our aloneness.
Carla: What's she talking about, Sammy?
Sam: I don't know. Is this what we were talking about in there?
Diane: Of course.
Sam: Uh, Diane and I have decided we're going to start messing around

Just watched the episode where the pub regulars freak out about possibly having gay people take over the place. TV shows truly are fantastic cultural artifacts of their times. Sometimes the issues are still sadly relevant and sometimes they’re laughably out of date. 

I still think Coach should have gotten a better send off. At least put his picture behind the bar. 

My favorite (only?)tribute is in Season 4 when Sam uses Coach’s old trick of singing Home on the Range to calm down a pissed off Woody. The bar hears the singing from Sam’s office and breaks out in song. End for episode. Perfect. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

After he died, they hung the photo of Geronimo that Nick Colasanto had in his dressing room up on set. It remained there for the rest of the series and Sam straightens it at the very end of the final episode of the series. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Emma Thompson as 'Nanny G' or as 'Nanny G-Spot' if you will was greatness.  

10 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Emma Thompson as 'Nanny G' or as 'Nanny G-Spot' if you will was greatness.  

On Frasier that role was played by Laurie Metcalf. She’s always awesome.

(Wtf is up with the double quote?)

Edited by WhatTheBuck

• 3 weeks later...

I loved the early seasons. The episode where Coach gets worked by a cardshark and they bring in Harry the Hat to get the money back is my favorite.

Later, it seemed like they played the characters for quick laughs. Sam particularly. Early seasons he is uneducated and uncultured, but still smart and charismatic. Later seasons he was just a clown to be laughed at. Still funny, but lazy writing and not that much better than other TV.

Almost didn’t watch the finale, but they brought back the original writers, and it was well done.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/26/2022 at 12:12 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Fuckers aren’t showing the episodes in order. It’s a hodgepodge. Three episodes in and they’re already in season 3 where they take Frasier snipe hunting.

I think Henry or atomic explained this before. Basically cable broadcast the highest rated episodes that they have the rights to. They don’t show full seasons in order. 

Hulu now only has the first 4 seasons of Cheers. Paramount has the full series. As does Peacock. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

• 1 month later...

I'm about 15 episodes into Season 8. I just watched the hilarious Cliff-Jeopardy episode. 

Some observations : 

- Cliff is the only character with a Boston accent. It's tough accent to do correctly, so I understand the decision, but it's still odd. 

- Rebecca is an upgrade over Diane aesthetically, but I think Shelly Long is the superior actress. 

- I don't feel any connection to Woody. RIP Coach. You are missed. 

- Carla's husband Eddie dies and she just doesn't care. Very odd character choice. 

- Why does Norm wear a suit all the time if he's a painter? 

- I like Lilith, but her appearances declined significantly after she gave birth to Frederick. Her giving Fraiser shit is one of my favorite elements of the show. 

Overall a terrific show, but it's not all timer like Seinfeld for me. It's classic serial sitcom, and that's about all you can say about it. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

- Carla's husband Eddie dies and she just doesn't care. Very odd character choice.

In real life, the actor playing Eddie was asked on a radio show what the most difficult part was of being on "Cheers".

He answered, "Kissing Rhea Perlman."

He was killed off quickly after that. 

Of course she didn't care. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/7/2022 at 11:10 AM, Johnny Sack said:

The running gag they had with Henri was pretty good.  He would walk in the bar, and then Norm, Cliff, Paul and other regulars would grumble about him and how they did not like him.  Then Henri would say "hello, fellas".  And they would all respond warmly.

Loved the episode where Sam and Henri held a competition for phone numbers and it got turned into France vs USA.

Well, I clearly haven’t got to these episodes yet. 

I have a hard time talking about Norm. It's like he's too close to me, but I don't think he's changed over the years. They moved him from being an accountant to painter and decorator, but that was basically for some storylines. He's still the same Norm. I think he's the toughest to write for because he's not really anything. He's just funny. 

— George Wendt, November 1989 

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Loved the episode where Sam and Henri held a competition for phone numbers and it got turned into France vs USA.

"No Sam, not the Babe Kit.  You told me never to the Babe Kit.  He's just a kid, he didn't know any better."

"I know what I said Carla, but this is for America.  Get it."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2