Cheers

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Lilith is the number one hottie on the show.  Even over all of Sams babes.

Agreed.  She's hella talented, too.  Song, dance, acting.  Great theater gal.

Man, Thursday nights were awesome back then.  Cosby, Family Ties, Cheers, Night Court and I can't remember what year LA Law started. 86?

What night was Moonlighting on?  Tuesdays?

• Hook 'Em 1

I remember NBC Thursdays of my junior year.  After whatever sport practice, we'd go to Jablonski or Kooi house, we'd go to the basement and watch Wings, Cheers, and Seinfeld.  Then I'd call my mom to pick me up from my "study session" at 9:00p still laughing (and probably a bit stoned too).  It was a perfect lineup too because it was my transition from Cheers as my favorite show to Seinfeld.  And thus began my descent into the twisted sense of humor I maintain today.

Ted Danson really made Sam Malone a very rich and complex character as the series went on, only in adulthood can I look back and appreciate that.  He became more cerebral, more empathetic to others, relied less on physical comedy and faces to better timing, collobaration with other characters not named Diane, And came up with all kinds of brilliant little ticks and mannerisms kinda like Michael Richards did with Kramer (obviously the former being more subtle and the latter being goofier).  

Rewatch that scene with the Babe Kit.  It's fucking hilarious on the surface, and remains so to this day.  But his facial ticks as he reminices about each piece in there...you can see nostalgia, pride, shame, and some memories washing over him.  It was really well done once you get past the dialogue exchange of Carla and the over-the-top nature of the kit in the first place.  When she asks him why he still hangs on to it, the way he strokes the top of it and says, "Thought maybe one day I'd have a son..."  And it's bend-over funny, but he puts this little note of regret on it with his hand and jaw suggesting that although Sam never talks about, the idea of a family was something he craved between all the babe madness.  Ted Danson is a criminally underrated comedic actor despite 40 years of brilliance on (Mainly) the small screen.  

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Man, Thursday nights were awesome back then.  Cosby, Family Ties, Cheers, Night Court and I can't remember what year LA Law started. 86?

I'm trying to remember the last network comedy series I watched regularly, like I used to with those shows. 30 Rock, maybe. And that's been off the air for a decade.

3 minutes ago, RPM said:

AAAA Painting. Your foray into painting.

"Why 4-A Painting, Rebecca?"

(insert phone book comment here that nobody under 35 will understand)

(and speaking of marketing decisions by Rebecca, why did Frasier never say out loud that the commercial jingles guy Rebecca brings into the bar to advertise 'Cheers' looks precisely like his father?  I mean, the resemblance is uncanny.  It's beyond doppel-ganger level)

Fun trivia question about Norm..."According to Mr. Peterson himself, did Norm serve in the U.S. Army or U.S. Coast Guard?"

Edited by YGIFS

On 8/23/2022 at 10:13 AM, Augustus said:

Would live to find a streaming service to rewatch LA Law.  That was a great show.

• Hook 'Em 1

Cliff: What a pathetic display. I’m ashamed God made me a man.

Carla: I don’t think God’s doing a lot of bragging either.

--------

What’s your name?

Oh, uh… Dr. Frasier Crane.

I’m Candi.

Ah, yes, so I see from your necklace. Candi with an “I”.

Well, I used to spell it with a “Y” but nobody ever took me seriously, so then I switched it to an “I”. You know, like Gandhi.

Yes, yes. I understand that’s why he did it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Coach’s speech to his daughter had me in tears. Such a beautifuland powerful scene. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tAr7jsr0qZQ

Damn you.  I'm in public right now.  I remember watching that scene on the original broadcast and didn't think anything of it.  Now when I watch it in syndication/streaming/youtube and I have two little girls...I fucking ball and weep.  It's what any dad would say, that his daughter is the most wonderful and special girl on Earth and no man deserves her hand in marriage.  Then he breaks down and becomes vulnerable without actually visibly breaking down, and she meets him half-way down in the abyss because of both his pain and pride.  They both save each other at the last moment.  It's so goddamn wonderful with some front-ended laughs to put you at ease.  This show had so many of moments like this that I never noticed until I got older and past the drunken laughs.  

You can keep in touch these days via text, social media, email.  But there are people as Frasier says in the finale, that move in and out of your life so fast that you shouldn't stop to tell them how you feel.  And when somebody moves away or I see an older relative who is sick and we both know it's the last time but don't want to say it...I always...always think of Sam (for the second time) telling Diane, "Have a good life..."  I don't say it, but I've always thought it.  

Also, Norm used to walk into the bar and he'd ask for a beer in a funny way.  

Cliff Clavin : You know Rebecca, I don't know why you're so concerned about your figure. You know, back in the Renaissance times, full figured women were revered.

Norm Peterson : Get out.

Cliff Clavin : It's true. Yeah, yeah, artists would only paint big, voluptuous women. In fact, that's how they got rid of a lot of their old paint

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2022 at 8:10 AM, Post Oak said:

Lilith is the number one hottie on the show.  Even over all of Sams babes.

I’m a fan of Bebe Neuwirth and all but it’s hard to top Marcia Cross as Rebecca’s sister.

8ED6D006-75C0-4562-854C-DAC3F6935E75.thumb.png.7c67efe8dbc9452693bc860994def1ce.png

643D5C1A-0D3E-4AF0-9EF9-38D2BF0A3A55.thumb.png.3aba1a4deaf2eb97075f3fb35735274e.png

And then there was Jeana Tomasino who was one of the Playmates that Sam beat at softball and boasted about it. That’s her in the middle.

057062EB-0F47-41CF-8E2E-D9F3EA3B0C7D.thumb.png.dbb4ae656d294b82f17c5346d46bf9a3.png

She didn’t get a lot of screen time. But she was Playmate of the Month in November, 1980 so I was already familiar with her work and she made quite an impression. She’s worth Googling. 

Well duh, there were only 4 female regulars on the whole show---Rebecca, Diane, Carla, and Lilith.  Rebecca in her really smoking hot episodes gives Lilith a serious run, but Lilith overall probably.  Diane distant third.  And then the chick Eddie LeBec had to make out with.  

Now if we could count secondary characters---taking the whole cake is Kelly.  K-E-L-L-Y.  Why?  Because I love her.

And I can't remember if she was on once or twice to taunt Carla, but one of her ex-husbands married some blonde bimbo who had the stereotypical 80's blonde look like a working man's Daryl Hannah.  Or she coulda been on 20 times, but she was hot.  But behind Kelly, Lilith, and Rebecca in the hot seasons. 

38 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Well duh, there were only 4 female regulars on the whole show---Rebecca, Diane, Carla, and Lilith.  Rebecca in her really smoking hot episodes gives Lilith a serious run, but Lilith overall probably.  Diane distant third.  And then the chick Eddie LeBec had to make out with.  

Now if we could count secondary characters---taking the whole cake is Kelly.  K-E-L-L-Y.  Why?  Because I love her.

And I can't remember if she was on once or twice to taunt Carla, but one of her ex-husbands married some blonde bimbo who had the stereotypical 80's blonde look like a working man's Daryl Hannah.  Or she coulda been on 20 times, but she was hot.  But behind Kelly, Lilith, and Rebecca in the hot seasons. 

Seriously? You can't remember Nick's name?

85260.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Dammit, it was on the tip of my tongue.  I could hear his voice clear as day in my head.  The perpetual 5 o'clock shadow, the cheap cologne, the ill-fitting 70's wardrobe.  Reminds me of so many friend's dads growing up near so many Italians.  

Guy could pull ass though apparently.  LOVE YOU NICK! 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...