Cheers

On 11/21/2022 at 7:40 AM, DallasHorn26 said:

I was a little young for Cheers in it's run, but have been watching in my down time . So many good moments and one-liners. Just finished the Cliff on Jeopardy episode referenced earlier in the thread. "Who are three people who've never been in my kitchen?"

When the announcer is introducing the contestants:

"and.....a Mailman." 

Still get a belly laugh from that.

On 11/21/2022 at 9:40 AM, DallasHorn26 said:

I was a little young for Cheers in it's run, but have been watching in my down time . So many good moments and one-liners. Just finished the Cliff on Jeopardy episode referenced earlier in the thread. "Who are three people who've never been in my kitchen?"

That one gets quoted a lot. You’ve probably seen it before and didn’t get the reference. You’ll notice it now.

I just caught part of the one last night where Sam goes to counseling for sex addicts. After giving two fake names before admitting his real one, Sam goes through a long confessional starting with how his friends made him attend and he doesn’t see the problem and ending with how maybe it’s caused him to miss some of the important things in life and maybe he’s not there for his friends, maybe he’s there for himself

Then the girl next to him talks about her experiences, how she started off slowly, she’d sometimes have sex on a first date, then it got to be a first date every night. Then it needed to be dangerous. In the elevator, in a dressing room, in an alley on her way to work. After she’s done and everyone applauds, Sam stretches his arms, leans over and says, “So, do you like Chinese food?”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For some reason I have a subscription to the Paramount app. Oh yeah, so I can watch Cheers uninterrupted for 2-3 hours every night.

Started from episode 1 a couple weeks ago and last night I was at the episode where Norm is the interior decorator. Loved the ending where he thinks they are going to give him a hard time and they just want a discount on furniture. So good.

Lilith was killing it in Season 8. Sam isn’t a big fan of her driving.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

For some reason I have a subscription to the Paramount app. Oh yeah, so I can watch Cheers uninterrupted for 2-3 hours every night.

Started from episode 1 a couple weeks ago and last night I was at the episode where Norm is the interior decorator. Loved the ending where he thinks they are going to give him a hard time and they just want a discount on furniture. So good.

Lilith was killing it in Season 8. Sam isn’t a big fan of her driving.

I’m doing a re-watch, as well. Just finished the episode in which Henri was introduced. 

Woody: And I'd really appreciate it if you didn't tell my Mom about this.

Diane: Mum's the word, Woody.

Woody: OK, I'd really appreciate it if you didn't tell my Mum about this.

------------------------------------------

Rebecca (while housesitting a killer doberman): Sheridan's in the kitchen with Satan!

Sam: This is no time for folk singing!

-------------------------------------------

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sad story

In Boston last week with family.  15 (almost 16) year old son and I are walking down Beacon Street.

"Hey go stand in front of that sign"

(Snaps picture...no interest in going in a tourist trap, continue walking)

"So was that supposed to be like a famous bar or something?"

FUCK ME....I'm old.  

• Hook 'Em 1

For Jay Buhner!  What the hell's the matter with you?

I can't remember the plot of the episode, but always cracked me up---Woody and Sam are on top of the building trying to install a satellite dish so the bar can have more games.  And Woody asks Sam how satellites even work, something like...

"Sam, how does the game get from all the way up in space down to Cheers?"

"You see, this dish beams a bunch of junk up to the satellite.  And then the satellite beams a bunch of junk back down here, and voila...ballgame!"

"Boy Sam, how do you know so much about the world?"

"Well Woody, I'm an avid reader..."

Danson's delivery of that last line just kills me.  Because as he's saying it, he's telling himself, "Damn right, I'm worldly.  A continental man."  When you watch reruns (I saw them as first runs mainly in junior high and high school), you realize Sam wasn't really the womanizing shallow dope he was made out to be.  On top of great interpersonal skills, he was subtly written to have good reasoning, retained whatever he did learn, and yearned for more knowledge and was always curious.  If it weren't for that arm, booze, and a lust for women---he could have been something more intellectual and white collar.  But in the end, he was right where the universe wanted him.  

• Like 2

I always think of the episode Diane complains of never being included in the gang’s practical jokes.  When PBS (maybe NPR) wants to film her reciting one of her poems she thinks finally they’re playing a joke, and she proceeds to recite “Ode to a Cornish Hen” to the camera…then is shown on tv acting like a chicken. Sam’s reaction, I can’t remember the exact quote but something like “ what did you think you were doing” still kills me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

They made Sam much more clever during the Diane years and then kind of made him an idiot during the Rebecca years.

Ah, yes. Who can forget how clever Sam was during the Diane era?

BA72C674-8B73-4864-B753-23EB42E03CC9.thumb.jpeg.f635c8bcda5c6beb4769e0b6c711e115.jpeg

6594DD9D-977D-4029-9078-9DEE1CB295B5.thumb.jpeg.30238640e3bd518f621e73ddf8139449.jpeg

8B0DBF6E-1534-465A-B5C4-0741D5945E50.thumb.jpeg.c2668e314a2d4556e393b8be3368721a.jpeg

Seriously, though, other than recognizing that Sumner was going back to his wife and not returning for Diane in the pilot episode, what’s an example of Sam being clever during those first five seasons? Sam was always a shallow meathead who thought with his dick. He was never able express his feelings for Diane in more than physical terms. If anything he actually grew up a little and developed some depth as a character during the Rebecca era. He got to a point where his interest in her went behind just trying to get in her pants.

His most clever moment in the show was probably when he got back at Norm, Cliff, Carla, and Woody for helping Gary convince Sam that Gary was dead. Sam had them bused out to the middle of nowhere and left by the side of the road. He’d hired actors, bombed his own bar...he had to take out a loan that would cost him years to pay back. But he got his revenge. It was genius in its own Sammy kind of way. 

• 1 year later...

Random but I always liked this exchange. Frasier trying to understand the crazy shit these people did was always funny to me.  

• Sam Malone : [walks into the bar]  Sorry I'm late. I just got back from my stylist.

Woody Boyd : Well gee, Sam, your hair doesn't look any different.

Sam Malone : Ah, no, this was just for an estimate. I was thinking about doing a body wave, and my insurance company wants me to go to three different places.

Dr. Frasier Crane : Sam, you have hair insurance?

Sam Malone : Yeah. What, I'm going to just walk around with fire and theft?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3