2023 Class Predictions & '22 Results

2022 - % of class correct (% of correct guesses/guessed class size)

1. @Elmer_Fudd - 61.5% (16/26)
  2. Me - 53.8% (14/26)
  3. @closetojumping - 51.8% (14/27) 
  4. @Bevo14* - 51.8% (14/27)

*tied for 3rd

You lose willy wonka GIF

2023 Notes

• No 25 man class limit
  • Incoming HS Freshman only

2023 Prediction

Spoiler

QB - 1

1. Arch Manning

RB - 1

1. Tre Wisner - I don't think Baxter or Owens setup particularly well for us, so give me Wisner + a big portal name after Bijan goes for 2,200 ap yds and a heisman

WR - 4

1. Ryan Niblett
  2. Jaquaize Pettaway
  3. Jalen Hale
  4. Johntay Cook

ATH - 1

1. MHP - pleasebembracesafetypleaseembracesafetypleaseembracesafety

TE - 2

1. Spencer Shannon
  2. Will Randle

OL - 4

1. Ian Reed
  2. Andre Cojoe
  3. Isaiah Robinson

DB - 6

1. CB - Jordan Matthews 
  2. S - Jamel Johnson
  3. S - Makari Vickers
  4. Malik Muhammad
  5. Sigh......Toviano. Don't feel good about it.
  6. Jasiah Wagoner

LB - 2

1. S'maje Burrell
  2. Johnathan Hall

DL - 4

This was harder than I thought it would be

1. Dylan Spencer
  2. Derion Gullette
  3. Jaren Woods
  4. Avion Carter
  5. Terrance Green*

*OL take

Class Size: 25

I wouldn't be surprised if the class is smaller than 25 and I don't feel good about the DL prediction

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

QB (1): Manning

RB (2): Wisner, Baxter - Georgia and Bama are both in on 2 other 5 star TBs, so Baxter isn't that farfetched if Texas lands Manning and can fend off UF. 

WR (3): Niblett, Pettaway, Parker - WR is a position that this staff isn't going to take many chances on at the HS level. They're looking for sure things, speed, and maybe one OKG every other year. The portal is going to feed the WR room at Texas, apparently.

TE (2): Randle, Shannon

OT (1): No clue who this will be. Call in the lottery ticket on Zalance Heard, I guess. Recruiting an OT after taking the guys they just signed is going to be rough.

OG/C (3): Reed, Cajoe, Chatman

Edge (2): Gullette, Shelby

DL (3): Spencer, Mitchell (fuck you, I can dream), Hicks (again, go fuck yourself, a man can dream)

LB (3): Burrell, no clue otherwise

CB (2): Muhammed, Matthews

S (2): Johnson, Harrison-Pilot

That's 24 signees. I won't be surprised by any number between 20 and 35. It all depends on Manning and how the season goes. I think Texas and other blue bloods will embrace the premise of signing as many guys as they like and letting the portal sort out the 85 man total. Not quite a return to the DKR days of signing guys just to keep from having to play against them, but not far off from it, either. 

• Hook 'Em 8

I’ll give it a go this year, caveat emptor.

Rb (2): Wisner; Owens (would also be happy to see Randle Jr. here, if the board is right about Owens and Baxter stays home)

WR (5): Niblett; Pettaway; Cook;  Brown (halfway wish-casting); Wilson (I think they take one of Hale and Wilson, Hale sounds like he's trending away)

TE (2): Randle; Shannon 

OT (3): Chatman; Stroh; Heard

OG/C (2): Reed; Cojoe

DL (3): Nedore (Sounds like us or Baylor, might as well be us); Samu (they want a big body, Mitchell sounds gone); Green. Think we’re gonna look into the portal here either way.

EDGE (3): Spencer; Shelby; Gullette (Could go either here or in LBs, given that the staff is recruiting him as an off-ball linebacker with flexibility)

LB (3): Burrell; Spence; Anderson 

CB (3): Matthews; Muhammed; Robinson

S (2): Johnson; Vickers (Would love Bonsu in this class but just don’t see it). 

Class Size of 29. Could see the number inflate so that they can take more shots at EDGE, LB, and safety. Could see it diminish depending on how much they plan to rely on the portal + whether Manning brings a bump in WR recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

RB (2): Wisner, Baxter - Georgia and Bama are both in on 2 other 5 star TBs, so Baxter isn't that farfetched if Texas lands Manning and can fend off UF. 

WR (3): Niblett, Pettaway, Parker - WR is a position that this staff isn't going to take many chances on at the HS level. They're looking for sure things, speed, and maybe one OKG every other year. The portal is going to feed the WR room at Texas, apparently.

OT (1): No clue who this will be. Call in the lottery ticket on Zalance Heard, I guess. Recruiting an OT after taking the guys they just signed is going to be rough.

DL (3): Spencer, Mitchell (fuck you, I can dream), Hicks (again, go fuck yourself, a man can dream)

That's 24 signees. I won't be surprised by any number between 20 and 35. It all depends on Manning and how the season goes. I think Texas and other blue bloods will embrace the premise of signing as many guys as they like and letting the portal sort out the 85 man total. Not quite a return to the DKR days of signing guys just to keep from having to play against them, but not far off from it, either. 

This does not look like the #15 class you were bemoaning a few weeks ago.

Just now, Sabalo said:

This does not look like the #15 class you were bemoaning a few weeks ago.

"It all depends on Manning and how the season goes." 

Nothing has changed. Texas doesn't even have a warm lead at QB behind Manning. Got to get him, got to win games and keep him. Fail on those fronts and you and I will be begging for top 15. 

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

To get Manning locked thru signing day probably requires 9-3 or better? So you all are proclaiming the team goes 9-3 or better?

It's not going to be that black and white. If they're showing improvement and the offense is dazzling, a winning record might be enough. That said, I could be convinced of any record between 5-7 and 12-2 for this upcoming season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I got us taking 28 this year.

QB (1) : Arch - If dude was gonna go to Georgia, he'd have already done it. When we put up 50 against Bama (in a 70-50 loss) , he'll pull the trigger.

RB (2) : Wisner, Owens - Wisner is already on board. Rueben is the best back in the class, was previously committed, and we have Tashard Choice. Regardless of any insinuation about character issues in his periphery, he's the top guy here. Plus, he wants to play with Arch and Cook.

WR (4) : Niblett,  Cook, Hale, Greathouse - Niblett is in. Cook, as mentioned above, will come with Arch and Rueben. Hale will see the offensive numbers and want on board too. Pettaway makes too much sense, but will end up at OU after seeing the numbers ahead of him. And since the 25 man class limit isn't a factor, we sign an extra WR and take a flyer on Greathouse who might end up as a WR/TE tweener.

TE (2) : Randle, Shannon - I still see Randle as a bribe to get Arch. Doesn't matter. Shannon appears to be the target right now at TE, but it wouldn't surprise me if somebody not on our radar right now ends up being the second TE take (like Connor Cox or a late rise) or we circle back to Kaiuway if his knee looks fine.

OT (0) : Not seeing anybody on our board that will sign here. Heard ends up at LSU, and there's no one else we are after.

IOL (3): Chatman, Cojoe, Reed - I want to believe Stroh, but the Aggy pull is too strong. Chatman, Cojoe and Reed all make too much sense. Maybe we go after Markis Deal or they push hard for Sewell - but I think Sewell goes to Aggy with Stroh.

Edge (4): - Gullette, Shelby, Spence, Vasek - This is a huge need, and we need lots of numbers here, to see if we can get 1 or 2 to stick. Gullette will be a priority, and Shelby is a good fit. Vasek is a legacy and close to home. And Spence is a flier, cause we need numbers here. I'd love Nyckoles Harbor (the freakiest athlete in this class), but he's not coming here. 

DL (3) : Spencer, Porter, Osborne - Spencer is in. Porter has been close to committing for ages it seems like. I think Bo Davis will pull in Osborne, as long as he doesn't get a Bama or Georgia offer. I want Hicks so bad, but it seems like it will take a huge NIL deal to get him to Austin, and even that might not be enough.

LB (3): Burrell, Hill, Anderson - Burrell is in. Hill's OV on the big weekend will be huge, and we'll try to use momentum to swing him here. And we'll sign Jayven Anderson, even if he's not that highly rated, cause we need bodies. Choate's Hawaiian frequent flyer miles won't end up paying off with Lefau. 

CB (2): Mohammed, Matthews - It looks like we're going to end up with the last of the CBs that didn't sign with Aggy from SOC. And we'll get a miraculous pull out of Baton Rouge, thanks to Brian Kelley's idiocy.

S (3): Johnson, Brooks, Turner - Johnson is in. We're throwing all kinds of numbers here, looking for bodies. Brooks has been trending away, but I think we reel him back in. Turner is a guy we can convince to stay home and not head to Oregon. I don't think we'll be able to turn any of Mitchell, Bonsu, Vickers, Derek Williams, or Toviano , but we're going to keep trying on all of them.

ATH (1): Pilot - Take me to the Pilot. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Out of curiosity, of the ‘highly regarded’ players that aren’t on your list, which one do you think we stand the best chance of landing? In other words, who do you think is the best close but no cigar player in this class?

Edited by Ignatius

2 hours ago, Hornlover said:

any insinuation about character issues in his periphery

I think this is what you're saying here, but to be clear, no one tmk has made any insinuations about character issues with Owens, the recruit. Rather, he has small circle influence from people with documented character concerns. 

I still don't see it happening, but I like the gumption. 

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Have any specific reason to exclude Hill here? Me too, but for no other reason than he's not coming here.

41 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I think this is what you're saying here, but to be clear, no one tmk has made any insinuations about character issues with Owens, the recruit. Rather, he has small circle influence from people with documented character concerns. 

Yes, I'm specifically referencing ctj's comment from yesterday about people in his sphere of influence, not necessarily Rueben himself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

To get Manning locked thru signing day probably requires 9-3 or better? So you all are proclaiming the team goes 9-3 or better?

If we get carried by the offense to 8-4 and Ewers is showing clear signs of development, I’d expect that would be enough to keep an Arch commitment through signing day.  

3 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Out of curiosity, of the ‘highly regarded’ players that aren’t on your list, which one do you think we stand the best chance of landing? In other words, who do you think is the best close but no cigar player in this class?

Pick any of the highly rated WRs, Tovaino, or Hill and I could see it. 

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I still don't see it happening, but I like the gumption. 

Have any specific reason to exclude Hill here? Me too, but for no other reason than he's not coming here.

I don’t think there’s a chance in hell of them landing Hill at this point, so I didn’t feel like projecting him. 

So, explain something to me with all y’all predicting classes of 25 plus-  why would you sign this many guys nowadays. 
it seems like the bottom half of most every class sucks shot through a straw and most of the stretch takes don’t amount to jack shit. Why are we taking 25+ instead of 15 every year and then signing 6 or 8 or 10 from the portal. That’s seems to be what they are doing at WR but it makes se sense to me to do the same at RB, secondary, QB, hell, anywhere but OL and DL. 
Is the idea, essentially that we plan on running off 15-20 guys every off season?  I mean, that seams a little ambitious but necessary if you are going to be taking 35 every class and I’d damn sure rather take 10 guys from the portal who you have a pretty good idea who they will become than the bottom 10 in any class. 
walk me through it someone smarter than me if you would. Thanks. Enjoy stuff like this. 

58 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, explain something to me with all y’all predicting classes of 25 plus-  why would you sign this many guys nowadays. 
it seems like the bottom half of most every class sucks shot through a straw and most of the stretch takes don’t amount to jack shit. Why are we taking 25+ instead of 15 every year and then signing 6 or 8 or 10 from the portal. That’s seems to be what they are doing at WR but it makes se sense to me to do the same at RB, secondary, QB, hell, anywhere but OL and DL. 
Is the idea, essentially that we plan on running off 15-20 guys every off season?  I mean, that seams a little ambitious but necessary if you are going to be taking 35 every class and I’d damn sure rather take 10 guys from the portal who you have a pretty good idea who they will become than the bottom 10 in any class. 
walk me through it someone smarter than me if you would. Thanks. Enjoy stuff like this. 

In a 25 man class, Texas might have 8 (5star and high 4Star) players that they peg as can't miss type players. Maybe half of those (4) will actually pan out.

The next 18 or so (4star and high 3star) will have about a 30%-35% hit rate. So maybe another 5 or 6 players. But, you can't just say the last 10 will suck. It's 12 of the last 18 will suck. 

The problem is you don't know for sure who will hit, and at what position.  So you cast a wide net and hope for the best.

If you try to shrink the second group, you end up with even fewer 3-4 year contributors. 

And the portal isn't chock full of tons of high upside guys to fill out everywhere you need on your roster. Texas got lucky this year and found lots of what they needed, but they mostly struck out with their biggest needs on defense.

It's way more achievable to fill in 4 or 5 holes from the portal, and not 10-15.

And yes, we expect high amounts of turnover to continue, whether its from trapdoors or players deciding to look for greener pastures. 

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

In a 25 man class, Texas might have 8 (5star and high 4Star) players that they peg as can't miss type players. Maybe half of those (4) will actually pan out.

The next 18 or so (4star and high 3star) will have about a 30%-35% hit rate. So maybe another 5 or 6 players. But, you can't just say the last 10 will suck. It's 12 of the last 18 will suck. 

The problem is you don't know for sure who will hit, and at what position.  So you cast a wide net and hope for the best.

If you try to shrink the second group, you end up with even fewer 3-4 year contributors. 

And the portal isn't chock full of tons of high upside guys to fill out everywhere you need on your roster. Texas got lucky this year and found lots of what they needed, but they mostly struck out with their biggest needs on defense.

It's way more achievable to fill in 4 or 5 holes from the portal, and not 10-15.

And yes, we expect high amounts of turnover to continue, whether its from trapdoors or players deciding to look for greener pastures. 

Ok. I get that. Now work the other side of the equation… if you are taking 30-35 every class (25 high schoolers and 5-10 portal guys which seems a minimum to me) that’s 120-140 guys over a 4 year span. We get 85 scholarships. That means you have to run off 35-55 guys every 4 years or 9-14 guys a year. I’m fine with that I guess but man it’s a big sea chance to think of an established coach running off 12-15 guys every year not as part of a transition. 
More power to them if that’s the plan, I’m certainly not complaining. Are they ruthless enough to follow through on this?  

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

15 or so makes the most sense and then focus in on a large group of freshman/sophomores to burn up their 1 time portal to you, then fill gaps with 1 year portals as needed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Yesh said:

You won't have to run them all off.  Plenty of guys will screw up, or decide they don't love football, or have medical issues, or leave for playing time, or because of NIL promises.

With the baseline levels of NIL Texas players are starting to look at, you're going to have to run plenty off if you don't want them mooching off a scholarship.

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, texifornia said:

With the baseline levels of NIL Texas players are starting to look at, you're going to have to run plenty off if you don't want them mooching off a scholarship.

This thought had crossed my mind  

we are going to guarantee 50 or 100 or something like that as a roster bonus we are going to need to be cutting guys who would rather make 100k to suck here than transfer somewhere like, oh I don’t know- Sam Houston for example. 

Any chance we have a year with like 75 or 80 scholarships because we don’t get who we like and roll over the extra $1,000,000 into Making sure we end up with a Jordan Addison type?

The NFL goes with 53 man rosters for a reason.  You have to pay the players- it’s cheaper. That leaves enough guys for a starter and back up at every position and a third string at another 5 or 6

positions. If the portal exists to recruit guys out to fill holes any chance the play is less guys on roster and bigger payments to all of them?  If you can go recruit good players into the portal at any time than development doesn’t seem as important in the sense that you throw multiple bodies at a position hoping for a solution- maybe instead you just say- I’m going to go recruit the all conference WAC or Sunbelt linebacker into the portal. That dude is almost always going to be better than a high school freshman the next year and he knows the deal/wont miss home and girlfriend/understands how to at least fake playing school etc. 

QB (1)- Arch Manning

RB (2)- Tre Wisner and John Randle Jr. Too much funny business going on in the Owens recruitment and I refuse to believe we pull a 5-star RB out of the heart of SEC country. Randle is damn good so this would still be a nice haul. 

WR (4)- Ryan Niblett, Johntay Cook, Jonah Wilson, Jaquaize Pettaway. I would prefer Kyle Parker over Jonah Wilson but I just bet this is the way it shakes out. 

TE (2)- Will Randle and Spencer Shannon. 

OL (4)- Jaydon Chatman, Connor Stroh, Ian Reed and Andre Cojoe. From Missouri on Zalance Heard and Markis Deal. Deal not using an OV to Texas and IT saying we are getting hammered on the lack of NFL draft picks by other school seems like red flags to me. Regardless, these 4 would still be a good haul.

DL (4)- Terrance Green, Dylan Spencer, Ansel Nedore and Samu Taumanupepe.

Edge (2)- Derion Gullette and Braylan Shelby. Yes please.

LB (3)- S'Maje Burrell, Johnathan Hall and a late riser. The writing has been on the wall for Anthony Hill for months.

DB (4)- Jamel Johnson, Jordan Matthews, Malik Muhammad, Jamaal Shaw. From Missouri on Vickers. I know we supposedly have an 'in' with his trainer but we have never won those type of recruitments. Writing has been on the wall with Toviano although I do think we are smart enough to negative recruit A&M taking all these CB's and that lands us Muhammad. Shaw and Johnson could both project to nickel/safety.

That's 26 overall guys, which sounds about right. Leaves plenty of room to navigate the portal. As was mentioned in above posts, there are really no reasons to reach anymore. Could see us maybe taking only 3 DL and stretching the DL number to 5 if needed.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Any chance we have a year with like 75 or 80 scholarships because we don’t get who we like and roll over the extra $1,000,000 into Making sure we end up with a Jordan Addison type?

The NFL goes with 53 man rosters for a reason.  You have to pay the players- it’s cheaper. That leaves enough guys for a starter and back up at every position and a third string at another 5 or 6

positions. If the portal exists to recruit guys out to fill holes any chance the play is less guys on roster and bigger payments to all of them?  If you can go recruit good players into the portal at any time than development doesn’t seem as important in the sense that you throw multiple bodies at a position hoping for a solution- maybe instead you just say- I’m going to go recruit the all conference WAC or Sunbelt linebacker into the portal. That dude is almost always going to be better than a high school freshman the next year and he knows the deal/wont miss home and girlfriend/understands how to at least fake playing school etc. 

What in the fuck are you doing on this thread with this handwringing, WU? Christ.

1) This thread is for predicting the 2023 class. Feel free to do so.

2) Why in the fuck are you worrying about numbers? 

3) Pull your shit together.

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What in the fuck are you doing on this thread with this handwringing, WU? Christ.

I’m not worrying about numbers. We never talk about them around me and mine. I’m just wondering how the paradigm shifts from allotment of HS scholarships vs portal scholarships both at Texas and throughout the NCAA. Everyone has 25-30 here. I wonder if that will always be the deal going forward or if it gets split up. 
btw I think you are right and we do go 25-30 this year. 
I’m not smart enough to put together a position by position but I’ve got Arch in the calculator and a top 5 class. 
Will start a different thread fleshing out what I was trying to ask here. 

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well everyone knows that the numbers don't matter, but what this post presupposes is... maybe they do

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Hornlover said:

I got us taking 28 this year.

QB (1) : Arch - If dude was gonna go to Georgia, he'd have already done it. When we put up 50 against Bama (in a 70-50 loss) , he'll pull the trigger.

RB (2) : Wisner, Owens - Wisner is already on board. Rueben is the best back in the class, was previously committed, and we have Tashard Choice. Regardless of any insinuation about character issues in his periphery, he's the top guy here. Plus, he wants to play with Arch and Cook.

WR (4) : Niblett,  Cook, Hale, Greathouse - Niblett is in. Cook, as mentioned above, will come with Arch and Rueben. Hale will see the offensive numbers and want on board too. Pettaway makes too much sense, but will end up at OU after seeing the numbers ahead of him. And since the 25 man class limit isn't a factor, we sign an extra WR and take a flyer on Greathouse who might end up as a WR/TE tweener.

TE (2) : Randle, Shannon - I still see Randle as a bribe to get Arch. Doesn't matter. Shannon appears to be the target right now at TE, but it wouldn't surprise me if somebody not on our radar right now ends up being the second TE take (like Connor Cox or a late rise) or we circle back to Kaiuway if his knee looks fine.

OT (0) : Not seeing anybody on our board that will sign here. Heard ends up at LSU, and there's no one else we are after.

IOL (3): Chatman, Cojoe, Reed - I want to believe Stroh, but the Aggy pull is too strong. Chatman, Cojoe and Reed all make too much sense. Maybe we go after Markis Deal or they push hard for Sewell - but I think Sewell goes to Aggy with Stroh.

Edge (4): - Gullette, Shelby, Spence, Vasek - This is a huge need, and we need lots of numbers here, to see if we can get 1 or 2 to stick. Gullette will be a priority, and Shelby is a good fit. Vasek is a legacy and close to home. And Spence is a flier, cause we need numbers here. I'd love Nyckoles Harbor (the freakiest athlete in this class), but he's not coming here. 

DL (3) : Spencer, Porter, Osborne - Spencer is in. Porter has been close to committing for ages it seems like. I think Bo Davis will pull in Osborne, as long as he doesn't get a Bama or Georgia offer. I want Hicks so bad, but it seems like it will take a huge NIL deal to get him to Austin, and even that might not be enough.

LB (3): Burrell, Hill, Anderson - Burrell is in. Hill's OV on the big weekend will be huge, and we'll try to use momentum to swing him here. And we'll sign Jayven Anderson, even if he's not that highly rated, cause we need bodies. Choate's Hawaiian frequent flyer miles won't end up paying off with Lefau. 

CB (2): Mohammed, Matthews - It looks like we're going to end up with the last of the CBs that didn't sign with Aggy from SOC. And we'll get a miraculous pull out of Baton Rouge, thanks to Brian Kelley's idiocy.

S (3): Johnson, Brooks, Turner - Johnson is in. We're throwing all kinds of numbers here, looking for bodies. Brooks has been trending away, but I think we reel him back in. Turner is a guy we can convince to stay home and not head to Oregon. I don't think we'll be able to turn any of Mitchell, Bonsu, Vickers, Derek Williams, or Toviano , but we're going to keep trying on all of them.

ATH (1): Pilot - Take me to the Pilot. 

absolutely no chance we take 0 offensive lineman. 

• 6 months later...

I hadn't seen this thread previously but I have to say that it seems like our actual class, so far, seems like it might actually be a little bit better than the projections y'all put up - which is impressive because I assume that most of these were supposed to be close to our "ideal" class. Nobody had Moore, Williams, Lefau, or Akana and I think only one person had Hill. I think only a few had Mitchell. Say whatever you want about Sark & co and there are plenty of very valid criticisms. But they've done an incredible job on this class. 

Edited by campcrunk
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 10:09 AM, Hookem2147 said:

RB (2)- Tre Wisner and John Randle Jr. Too much funny business going on in the Owens recruitment and I refuse to believe we pull a 5-star RB out of the heart of SEC country. Randle is damn good so this would still be a nice haul. 

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV+

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/1/2022 at 1:28 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m not worrying about numbers. We never talk about them around me and mine. I’m just wondering how the paradigm shifts from allotment of HS scholarships vs portal scholarships both at Texas and throughout the NCAA. Everyone has 25-30 here. I wonder if that will always be the deal going forward or if it gets split up. 
btw I think you are right and we do go 25-30 this year. 
I’m not smart enough to put together a position by position but I’ve got Arch in the calculator and a top 5 class. 
Will start a different thread fleshing out what I was trying to ask here. 

We got arch, we got a top 5 class. We probably make it really close to 25.  Fun fun fun.