Garage Sale 101

I have not had a garage sale in close to 15 years, and back then, the ex did all the grunt work. 

How are people advertising these things now?  I'm not on Nextdoor.  Is it worth joining just for this?  If I put it on Craigslist, will 10,000 people show up at my house?

What are typical cash alternatives for higher end items?  PayPal?  Venmo?  Google Pay?    

15 minutes ago, chikin23 said:

1. Send your wife out of town and let her know you’ll take care of everything.
2. Throw everything in the back of your truck and take to Goodwill.
3. Get $126 in small bills and lay it on the table.

4. Tell her is was way more work than you anticipated, you'll probably need to go fishing next weekend to recover

• Hook 'Em 4

Think of the garage sale as a get rid of shit event, not a money making event.  Price accordingly.  Anything left at Noon - take to Goodwill or somewhere.  If you have anything of value over $100 or so, sell it online.  My order of online selling is neighborhood Facebook page, Nextdoor, then craigslist.

Put out a few signs directing people from a main thoroughfare to your driveway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We just had our first neighborhood garage sale since before covid. Nothing priced over $10 sold. Made like 70 dollars sitting out there for 4 hours. It sucked and was not worth my time. Took pictures of our higher end items no one looked at and put them on Facebook marketplace. Made 800 dollars in 72 hours. 

Tldr- having a garage sale gave me just enough push to take some pictures 

• Like 2

Not worth the effort, like above, I was out there for half a day and made like $100. Nothing over $3 will sell. Half of it you will have to barter a lower price. Even if it’s $1.

At noon a taco truck pulled up and the guy offered me $20 for everything that was left. Countered with $20 + 20 fajita tacos. It was a deal. He fired up his kitchen and cooked them in front of my house. Sat there in the driveway eating tacos and drinking beer while he packed everything up.

Just go to Goodwill and claim 10X on your taxes.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Salvation Army will come to your house with a big truck and actually help you load up crap from the garage into said truck.  you could schedule the date online.  most glorious.  They probably would have done all the ferrying of junk but i had an extra dolly and many hands make fast work and all that.  

Had this discussion with my kids last night.  We are in desperate need of a purge.  My thought was to let them sell everything (their 18 and 16, don't think they'll get snatched) and they can keep half the money.  Win/win.  If they do it.  Then take my half and rent a 9 yd dumpster and chuck the rest.

Edited by Sbbruin

36 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Salvation Army will come to your house with a big truck and actually help you load up crap from the garage into said truck.  you could schedule the date online.  most glorious.  They probably would have done all the ferrying of junk but i had an extra dolly and many hands make fast work and all that.  

This is great information. Could have used it a month ago, but still good to know for the future. 

I have done a few in my lifetime.  As has been said it's more of a purge of volume than anything. Here are my hints-

1) Putting pricing on shit is the worst, and too time consuming.  Divide up into groups by dollar amounts.  I used drop cloths and tarps to stack shit up in rows on a $3, $5 and $10 amounts.

2) For men's shirts "If it's got a collar it's a dollar, if not 50 cents".   

3) The larger or heavier something is the more negotiable on price I am

4) When it gets close to the end try to get somebody to buy "everything left, but you gotta take it all."  Usually you can find somebody with a truck that can't resist and end of day mass firesale.

5) Spend the proceeds all on Whiskey or Food that same day, celebrating your junk removal!

If you are going to do it have fun with it, and try to move that shit.  Discount ANYTHING but you need them to buy somethingnelse for that discount.  As you goal is removing volume! In my area putting up a few signs is enough, and bargain hunters are out and about early.  In fact I have had folks in my front yard as I was dragging shit out at like 7:15.  Only warning at all I have,  is that you will sometimes have larger groups that want to steal your shit.  They sort of overrun you, for distraction and little shit can disappear fast.  If you don't give a shit, then no worries, if you have things of decent value then simply keep those things close to keep an eye on.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 years ago my wife did a garage sale with a friend of hers.  Of course, I had to get up well before daylight and load all of the “great deals” she bought but never once wore.  

Drove a mountain of her stuff and a very few of my things (which she indicated to me that no person would ever buy) down to freaking Pearland, America. 

I told wife and her friend that I would work security.  They asked “why would security be required?”   I replied that knocking off two white girls and a box full of cash would be as easy as clubbing baby harp seals.  They protested.  I ignored.  Had a hog leg under my coat just in case. 

GS starts at 8 am they said.  Tables were set up and stocked at 7 AM. 

The hordes made their first assault at 6:45 AM.   Girls were still trying to set up and stock when stuff was flying off the tables and into slamming trunks.  Tabs were walked in a free for all.  

I finally got the “help us” look and oozed out of my truck and started confronting the pilferers, thieves and crooks.  “Put that shit down, empty your bags and start over.  No more grab and run.”  

Of course, the derelicts acted startled and put forth the “who me?” look.  

One old broad stuffed her bag full of loot and then put her coat over the top to hide her haul.  Her snot-nosed rugrats ran interference by screaming and throwing stuff around the entire time.  I grabbed the bag out of her grubby mitts, dumped it out and started counting “that’s $1, that’s $3, that’s $2, and 3 for $5….and so on…you owe $23. Fork it over.  NOW!”

She pulled her wallet out, fished around for a few crumpled bills and came even.

It was a complete mess at first but finally came in line when the shoppers figured out big boy wasn’t clowning around.  

Naturally, my few items went quick and fetched decent money.  

Was that money passed on to me, you ask?  

What do you think?

• Haha 1

I did one about 9 years ago. Don’t set up shop the night before, hardcoress will be there bright and early(6am or earlier). We set up signs on busy street with address

We’re going to do one in a few weeks. We have totes and totes of baby clothes to get rid of. And hopefully some wedding decorations. Baby clothes are a huge draw im told. I’ll be happy to have a functional basement soon and get paid for it

I appreciate all of the advice on this thread.  Moving in August, and this is going to come up as we get closer.  I shall rely on the wit and wisdom of surly to provide me the least painful path, and if it doesn’t work out that way, I’ll head over to the stupid wives thread.

We did one in 2018 or 19 (forget when, other than Pre-Covid).  

We had everything on the tables, but they were in the garage with doors closed  We have a three car garage, so lots of room to put up tables I borrowed from work for the weekend.  We didn't have anyone rifling through shit prior to the 7 am kickoff time.

At zero hour, raised both of the garage doors, plopped my ass down in a lawn chair and watched the fun commence.  We made around $1000 that day.  Baby and children's clothes and the like there was no negotiation---that shit sold for whatever my wife had priced it at. Not because we had a no haggle policy, but because of the competition aspect---plenty of milfy and grandmother types came around wanting clothes for kids/grandkids, and they just snatched it up without question.  My old clothes, however...haggling commenced.  By noon most of the stuff was gone, so we closed the garage doors.

Loaded up all the unsold goods and took it to Goodwill.

Oh, we also sold water and soft drinks.  Wife picked up some cases at Sams; I put it in our garage fridge and sold it for a buck a bottle or can.  I didn't expect it all to sell, but it did, at a tidy profit.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 1

We did one in 2018 or 19 (forget when, other than Pre-Covid).  
We had everything on the tables, but they were in the garage with doors closed  We have a three car garage, so lots of room to put up tables I borrowed from work for the weekend.  We didn't have anyone rifling through shit prior to the 7 am kickoff time.
At zero hour, raised both of the garage doors, plopped my ass down in a lawn chair and watched the fun commence.  We made around $1000 that day.  Baby and children's clothes and the like there was no negotiation---that shit sold for whatever my wife had priced it at. Not because we had a no haggle policy, but because of the competition aspect---plenty of milfy and grandmother types came around wanting clothes for kids/grandkids, and they just snatched it up without question.  My old clothes, however...haggling commenced.  By noon most of the stuff was gone, so we closed the garage doors.
Loaded up all the unsold goods and took it to Goodwill.
Oh, we also sold water and soft drinks.  Wife picked up some cases at Sams; I put it in our garage fridge and sold it for a buck a bottle or can.  I didn't expect it all to sell, but it did, at a tidy profit.

We made the mistake of staying up until like 3AM setting our shit outside. It was me, my wife and another couple. The guy was selling tennis rackets and at 6AM, our door bell woke us up with a guy holding tennis rackets asking for how much. He could’ve pillaged the entire sale.

On 6/2/2022 at 4:50 PM, deadshank said:

The hordes made their first assault at 6:45 AM.   Girls were still trying to set up and stock when stuff was flying off the tables and into slamming trunks.  Tabs were walked in a free for all.  

I finally got the “help us” look and oozed out of my truck and started confronting the pilferers, thieves and crooks.  “Put that shit down, empty your bags and start over.  No more grab and run.”  

What part of Houston are you in?

14 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

We made the mistake of staying up until like 3AM setting our shit outside. It was me, my wife and another couple. The guy was selling tennis rackets and at 6AM, our door bell woke us up with a guy holding tennis rackets asking for how much. He could’ve pillaged the entire sale.

You're lucky that a bunch of idiot teenagers snuck out of their houses didn't stumble upon your scene instead.

On 6/2/2022 at 4:50 PM, deadshank said:

People were standing in our driveway at 6:30 for a 7 am start.  A plan for quick and early setup is key.  Some want to buy, but won't wait around.

On 6/3/2022 at 9:11 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Should have hired dead and his hog leg to blast that fool.

On 6/1/2022 at 11:53 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Think of the garage sale as a get rid of shit event, not a money making event.  Price accordingly.  Anything left at Noon - take to Goodwill or somewhere.  If you have anything of value over $100 or so, sell it online.  My order of online selling is neighborhood Facebook page, Nextdoor, then craigslist.

Put out a few signs directing people from a main thoroughfare to your driveway. 

take this advice with the "morning rush advice" and be ready.

On 6/1/2022 at 3:44 PM, CooterBrown said:

Not worth the effort, like above, I was out there for half a day and made like $100. Nothing over $3 will sell. Half of it you will have to barter a lower price. Even if it’s $1.

At noon a taco truck pulled up and the guy offered me $20 for everything that was left. Countered with $20 + 20 fajita tacos. It was a deal. He fired up his kitchen and cooked them in front of my house. Sat there in the driveway eating tacos and drinking beer while he packed everything up.

Just go to Goodwill and claim 10X on your taxes.

That is unbelievably good luck.  I would have had a big ass smile on my face after that.

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Did it once.  We just donate it all to the women’s shelter now. Never again. Our hood allows it one day a year.  I laugh my ass off at everyone as I make my way out that AM.  Iirc, we made something like $400. Not worth it. 

$400 ain't worth it?

It's your time, but depending upon what you gave up/ didn't have to haul off; that would be worth it to me for a 1/2 day of watching over shit.

On 6/3/2022 at 1:06 PM, Reagan1k said:

If you have even considered having a garage sale, there are most likely people already at your house rummaging around your garage and backyard.

I will say if we had to straight up get rid of stuff/ or possibly donate; we lived on a corner lot and we'd put that stuff out by the light post around noon on Sundays.  Very, very rarely was it not gone by 6PM.  There were 2-3 dudes with old pick ups and lowboy trailers that just trolled for that stuff.

Beautiful system, really...

3 hours ago, slorch said:

$400 ain't worth it?

It's your time, but depending upon what you gave up/ didn't have to haul off; that would be worth it to me for a 1/2 day of watching over shit.

For ~6 hours of a Saturday?  No.  Take to women’s shelter and enjoy the time off. Too much theft, haggling, early doorbells, parking. Gather all stuff and take it over Thursday PM and be done 

• Hook 'Em 1

Garage sales are only worth it if you're poor or insanely miserly.    My folks had one every couple of years growing up, because we were poor and it was worth it.  My wife and I had some garage sales early in our marriage because we were poor and it was worth it.  Now?  Fuck that.

• Hook 'Em 1

We did one about 10 years ago and got rid of a bunch of baby toys and clothes.  Those things sell fast and quick.  Nothing big so it wasn't too difficult.  But now we just post on a neighborhood marketplace site and someone will pick it up fast unless it's total junk.  I can't imagine accumulating enough stuff to warrant a garage sale these days.  

We did about 3 hours of prep yesterday, and were open for business for about 5 hours today.  Made enough to make it worthwhile, and literally everything we had out there was taken, which was the whole point.  Not a single item had to be brought back inside, taken to goodwill, or thrown away.  It's amazing that crap that has been just sitting around my house or in my garage has a new life.  Everyone had cash.  it was glorious.      

• Hook 'Em 1