The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

On 5/30/2021 at 8:12 PM, Brew said:

Picked up yesterday, a little lighter in the pocketbook now. Going from a rotation of boats from the 2000’s to a 2020 was a little eye opening today. The sales guy looked at me funny when I asked where the key was at. Everything is touchscreen which is going to take some getting used too. My wife asked me this morning if this ended my hunt for a bay boat, nope. You can’t have enough boat options although I may be looking a little older and cheaper for that one.

C24861E3-858C-454D-846A-454AD319F0DE.jpeg

5C09CD2B-89B2-410E-AD61-140910762D68.jpeg

Putting my Nautique up for sale if anyone is looking for a nearly new wakeboat. Sitting at about 23 hours at this point, never even put numbers on it. Kids have gotten too old with too many other things going on. I’m tired of messing with pulling a boat in and out and I don’t want to put in a lift for it as little as we use it. Going pontoon only for a while and see what comes along.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Brew said:

Putting my Nautique up for sale if anyone is looking for a nearly new wakeboat. Sitting at about 23 hours at this point, never even put numbers on it. Kids have gotten too old with too many other things going on. I’m tired of messing with pulling a boat in and out and I don’t want to put in a lift for it as little as we use it. Going pontoon only for a while and see what comes along.

What's the ask?

Restaurants- Bluewater Grill for higher end.  Lobster Trap for good seafood.  Also NDMK for casual seafood is great.  

not sure how,long you’re out there, but taking the Cyclone over to Two Harbors is a fun way to see the island.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, CoTex said:

WTF?  DNF?

Heh. So I was going to regale everyone with our tale of woe, but decided to stay somewhere between half and fully drunk on Mackinac Island the past two days. The TL;DR version is we ripped our mast track off trying to get the main back up in a lull in the storms.

The longer version starts here with Saturday morning on the Weather Channel.

IMG-20220723-093133034.jpg

Which is comforting news obviously when you are going to sea. We had a glorious day sailing Saturday, down wind in 15 knots mostly and sunny, but you knew the kick in the dick was coming and it did. We had a pretty hot race going on, basically right on the transom of the TP52s and ahead of the rest of our fleet which included the GL70s, some mid 40 footer modern boats and some 50 ish older boats. Also positioned in the western shore to be able to run off in the storms. We decided before the race that if the worst hit, we would go main down, and possibly jib down. In the first line of squalls we were getting radar and sailflow and could see 30 knots or so on shore so we kept the main up when it hit and just bore off while the intial downdraft hit. Saw probably 36 knots or so and once it abated to the 20s we came back up to course and gritted out the pelting rain which was pretty much full white out. Sailed for awhile after that and there was insane amounts of strobe lightning. Just totally nonstop lights in the sky. Behind that we can see another black squall backlit and are too far into lake for wifi so not as sure of it's strength. It looked evil as fuck though so we were ready to drop the main quickly if need be. The wind was flowing into the cell which is not typical, usually it's an outflow, so I was more attuned than usual to some weird shit, which is usually the wind dying and coming back from the other way hard, which ended up being exactly what happened. Breeze rotated through almost 180 rapidly then started shooting up. We very quickly made the call to drop the main and got hit by something around 40 knots of breeze with just the J3 up. Not much but we were moving along and all. Denali the Ker 46 passed our transom at a high rate of speed during this which was interesting in the middle of the night in pouring rain and no visibility. Also had one of the guys have his hand resting on the vang when a lightning bolt hit always off and gave him a shock which was terrifying and hilarious at the same time.

So this abates somewhat and we get to the breaking the mast track park. The wind has dropped to the upper teens and we go to get the main back up. A little backstory on this is we have all of our sails on locks. By putting the main on a lock it reduces the compression the mast has to take and so the tube can be much lighter. The downside is that they are super finicky. You have to have the sail totally unloaded to get it up on the lock which is really fucking hard in breeze and not being able to motor. One of the big issues is the sail is super loaded and flogging and the main halyard stretches too much to pull the bullet over the lock. If you run a track with cars it's much less friction, but we have a simple bolt rope. So we are taking the sail up and down trying to get it on lock to no avail.  We left it up for awhile on the halyard but it's not designed for that and it takes up both primaries so we couldn't put up a kite. We bring it to the deck again and I make the head lashing longer to help it get on lock hopefully, which would leave the sail not at full hoist but effectively makes the lock strop longer and thus the bullet further into the rig. So when we go to get it up it is incredibly sticky in the track, like moves 6" and stops while the halyard stretches and then shoots up another 6", so I am just waiting for something to break. Well it gets within maybe a foot of the top and there is so much load on the bolt rope it hops out of the prefeeder. I tried to grab it but I watched it just slowly separate the track from the mast. Basically at that point it's bring it down as rapidly as possible because of it get stuck up the rig we are seriously fucked.

So for the second time we have completed the Chicago to Muskegon race.

Several boats got knocked out, some, including Windquest, just said fuck it, we don't wanna go and turned around. A dude lost a thumb on Defiance I heard. Abracadabra, a Ker 43, literally ripped the mast head off their rig which was impressive. They were at Torrensons in Muskegon when we pulled in, whole crane and wand assembly were hanging by the spin halyard.

So in summary we had a great race going and broke some shit and I proceeded to drink it off

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Heh. So I was going to regale everyone with our tale of woe, but decided to stay somewhere between half and fully drunk on Mackinac Island the past two days. The TL;DR version is we ripped our mast track off trying to get the main back up in a lull in the storms.

Which is comforting news obviously when you are going to sea. We had a glorious day sailing Saturday, down wind in 15 knots mostly and sunny, but you knew the kick in the dick was coming and it did. We had a pretty hot race going on, basically right on the transom of the TP52s and ahead of the rest of our fleet which included the GL70s, some mid 40 footer modern boats and some 50 ish older boats. Also positioned in the western shore to be able to run off in the storms. We decided before the race that if the worst hit, we would go main down, and possibly jib down. In the first line of squalls we were getting radar and sailflow and could see 30 knots or so on shore so we kept the main up when it hit and just bore off while the intial downdraft hit. Saw probably 36 knots or so and once it abated to the 20s we came back up to course and gritted out the pelting rain which was pretty much full white out. Sailed for awhile after that and there was insane amounts of strobe lightning. Just totally nonstop lights in the sky. Behind that we can see another black squall backlit and are too far into lake for wifi so not as sure of it's strength. It looked evil as fuck though so we were ready to drop the main quickly if need be. The wind was flowing into the cell which is not typical, usually it's an outflow, so I was more attuned than usual to some weird shit, which is usually the wind dying and coming back from the other way hard, which ended up being exactly what happened. Breeze rotated through almost 180 rapidly then started shooting up. We very quickly made the call to drop the main and got hit by something around 40 knots of breeze with just the J3 up. Not much but we were moving along and all. Denali the Ker 46 passed our transom at a high rate of speed during this which was interesting in the middle of the night in pouring rain and no visibility. Also had one of the guys have his hand resting on the vang when a lightning bolt hit always off and gave him a shock which was terrifying and hilarious at the same time.

So this abates somewhat and we get to the breaking the mast track park. The wind has dropped to the upper teens and we go to get the main back up. A little backstory on this is we have all of our sails on locks. By putting the main on a lock it reduces the compression the mast has to take and so the tube can be much lighter. The downside is that they are super finicky. You have to have the sail totally unloaded to get it up on the lock which is really fucking hard in breeze and not being able to motor. One of the big issues is the sail is super loaded and flogging and the main halyard stretches too much to pull the bullet over the lock. If you run a track with cars it's much less friction, but we have a simple bolt rope. So we are taking the sail up and down trying to get it on lock to no avail.  We left it up for awhile on the halyard but it's not designed for that and it takes up both primaries so we couldn't put up a kite. We bring it to the deck again and I make the head lashing longer to help it get on lock hopefully, which would leave the sail not at full hoist but effectively makes the lock strop longer and thus the bullet further into the rig. So when we go to get it up it is incredibly sticky in the track, like moves 6" and stops while the halyard stretches and then shoots up another 6", so I am just waiting for something to break. Well it gets within maybe a foot of the top and there is so much load on the bolt rope it hops out of the prefeeder. I tried to grab it but I watched it just slowly separate the track from the mast. Basically at that point it's bring it down as rapidly as possible because of it get stuck up the rig we are seriously fucked.

Several boats got knocked out, some, including Windquest, just said fuck it, we don't wanna go and turned around. A dude lost a thumb on Defiance I heard. Abracadabra, a Ker 43, literally ripped the mast head off their rig which was impressive. They were at Torrensons in Muskegon when we pulled in, whole crane and wand assembly were hanging by the spin halyard.

So in summary we had a great race going and broke some shit and I proceeded to drink it off

I grew up in corpus which is a windy place and I remember many many times breaking the boat.  Sunfish boom, sunfish halyard cleat, laser mast, laser mast step rips out of deck, j/24 rudder, j/24 boom, j/22 rudder, etc.

it got to the point where about 1/3 of the way through my excuse laden story my dad would just cut me off and say “yeah, yeah, yeah, you broke the boat, dnf.”  He was making a valuable point - it wasn’t the boat’s fault that I didn’t grab a trophy.  

And…I fucking told you so.  See post on previous page where I asked “what does “big storm coming,” mode look like?  Reefs or small jib?  Some of those storms can get up in the wind velocity range.  Do you prep for bare pole and just ride it out or always racing?”

so, since I have such a great sense of foretelling, how do I get on the boat for 2023 - the year of glorious victory?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

I grew up in corpus which is a windy place and I remember many many times breaking the boat.  Sunfish boom, sunfish halyard cleat, laser mast, laser mast step rips out of deck, j/24 rudder, j/24 boom, j/22 rudder, etc.

it got to the point where about 1/3 of the way through my excuse laden story my dad would just cut me off and say “yeah, yeah, yeah, you broke the boat, dnf.”  He was making a valuable point - it wasn’t the boat’s fault that I didn’t grab a trophy.  

And…I fucking told you so.  See post on previous page where I asked “what does “big storm coming,” mode look like?  Reefs or small jib?  Some of those storms can get up in the wind velocity range.  Do you prep for bare pole and just ride it out or always racing?”

so, since I have such a great sense of foretelling, how do I get on the boat for 2023 - the year of glorious victory?

Ah yes, the blown out Laser mast step is always a classic. I've been there. The old man was definitely right, it's not the boats fault for sure. Over drinks last night the sailmaker and I had to lick our wounds on this one. We knew the track was going to be an issue and we didn't aggressively improve that situation. Cest la vie and shit.

We did have a very good plan for dealing with the storms, so I am happy there. Basically it was bare poles over 40, and we got very close. We had a pow wow with Natalie J before the start on our respective game plans and we both agreed main down in the gnarly stuff was the way to go. One of our strengths has been handling the boat in less than ideal conditions, I think I was going to relay the story of Down the Bay last year but forgot, but it was essentially the same situation, ran into a squall line at dusk and ended up sailing in 30+ knots for quite awhile under main and jib. I think we were sitting on 23 or 24 knots of boatspeed for a long spell. But we were racing one of the other Carkeek 40s and put 30 minutes on them in that storm simply because they wiped out a bunch and we had it under control. But we clearly fucked up preparing the boat this time and it bit us.

On another note Stu Bannatyne and Richard Clarke managed to break something on the boat they were running and drop out too, and those are two of the best offshore sailors on the planet, so we are in esteemed company at least.

We will see what next year brings, but I'm sure we can get you out on the old girl at some point.

7 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I am just glad the story ended in a bar and not a goddamn miracle rescue. 

You and me both

Edited by G650
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, G650 said:

Well I don’t understand any of that sailing stuff but the weather part is all too familiar. Glad y’all made it pretty much ok.

15 hours ago, G650 said:

On another note Stu Bannatyne and Richard Clarke managed to break something on the boat they were running and drop out too, and those are two of the best offshore sailors on the planet, so we are in esteemed company at least.

So apparently they didn't break anything, they just said nope and went back.

2 hours ago, G650 said:

So apparently they didn't break anything, they just said nope and went back.

I don't want to get too far over my skis here but, I'm confident in saying, had you taken me you would have definitely finished 1 in class and top 3 overall. I hope you learn from this mistake and don't repeat it.  #crew2023!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I don't want to get too far over my skis here but, I'm confident in saying, had you taken me you would have definitely finished 1 in class and top 3 overall. I hope you learn from this mistake and don't repeat it.  #crew2023!

Totally. Now if you said won the Mac Cup I would have questioned it.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, G650 said:

Ah yes, the blown out Laser mast step is always a classic. I've been there. The old man was definitely right, it's not the boats fault for sure. Over drinks last night the sailmaker and I had to lick our wounds on this one. We knew the track was going to be an issue and we didn't aggressively improve that situation. Cest la vie and shit.

We did have a very good plan for dealing with the storms, so I am happy there. Basically it was bare poles over 40, and we got very close. We had a pow wow with Natalie J before the start on our respective game plans and we both agreed main down in the gnarly stuff was the way to go. One of our strengths has been handling the boat in less than ideal conditions, I think I was going to relay the story of Down the Bay last year but forgot, but it was essentially the same situation, ran into a squall line at dusk and ended up sailing in 30+ knots for quite awhile under main and jib. I think we were sitting on 23 or 24 knots of boatspeed for a long spell. But we were racing one of the other Carkeek 40s and put 30 minutes on them in that storm simply because they wiped out a bunch and we had it under control. But we clearly fucked up preparing the boat this time and it bit us.

We will see what next year brings, but I'm sure we can get you out on the old girl at some point.

You and me both

Glad everyone made it to land.  Also, that sounds like a really fucking expensive mishap.

For the lake austin boaters ski shores is back open. Food is better but prices were raised dramatically and service is non existent. You order from an app and food is delivered so no one really gives a shit about getting water, getting a refill or correcting a messed up order. 
$24 for 6 fried shrimp and fries, $14 for a burger, fries extra $6, lobster roll $39, chicken tenders $21

really sucks as I was getting tired of hula hut but when it’s $50 for me and one kid to eat some shrimp and a burger I’m probably not going back unless I’m  in a big hurry  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

didnt know ski shores closed down.  i also rememver them being a bit pricy for what you got but it was a good burger about 10 years ago.  i felt like teh service then was eeh.  but you know high school kids so i just drank more  lol

what was the place with the live music that eveeryone would pull up to and anchor together in the middle of the lake and listen? swim to shore to get cold beer or food and swim back.

saw kenny wayne shepherd there once.  damn that was a great night.  

Edited by Eugene11

didnt know ski shores closed down.  i also rememver them being a bit pricy for what you got but it was a good burger about 10 years ago.  i felt like teh service then was eeh.  but you know high school kids so i just drank more  lol

what was the place with the live music that eveeryone would pull up to and anchor together in the middle of the lake and listen? swim to shore to get cold beer or food and swim back.
saw kenny wayne shepherd there once.  damn that was a great night.  

The pier.

What a fantastic place.
  • Like 1

That was by far my favorite place on any of the lakes.  

where I’m at there are two boat up restaurants and it’s a good 45 min boat ride from me to get there. Food is meh.  No character like any of those places in Travis or Austin.  

Edited by Eugene11

Lake Austin was busier than I have probably ever seen it today. 

A special shout out to idiots going 5 miles an hour. WTF are you doing? Fucking speed up or anchor. You make it dangerous for those of us pulling wakeboards or tubes by clogging up a huge chunk of the lake. 

Lake Austin was my go-to back when I lived in ATX.  Now that I spent a couple of years on a non-glorified wide river I don’t have any desire to ever put on there again.  

Too many boats in too small of a space. It’s like sailing in a wash machine  on heavy duty cycle.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lake Austin was my go-to back when I lived in ATX.  Now that I spent a couple of years on a non-glorified wide river I don’t have any desire to ever put on there again.  

Too many boats in too small of a space. It’s like sailing in a wash machine  on heavy duty cycle.

Boating would be so much better without all the other boaters.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Looking like it’s that time to get back in the boating game.  I have been out of it since the early 2000’s but I borrowed my brothers X24 yesterday to take my son out and looks like the bug bit.

I am pretty partial to Nautiques and that’s what I have always had but looks like Mastercraft has a dealership that can do maintenance/service on HSB which is a huge plus so leaning that way.

Anybody with experience with the X24 or X26?  Are their other Mastercraft models I should consider or reasons to do the Nautique over the Mastercraft? Mainly going to be used for a family of 3 plus friends for wakeboarding, wakesurfing, tubing, cruising, etc. Any thoughts are appreciated as I am back to a newbie at this.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, blacklab said:

Was at LBJ yesterday and felt like Labor Day or 4th of July.  Also had some jackass in a pontoon boat run into/break the swim platform while I was eating at Boat Town and not say anything about it.  Didn’t notice until I jumped in the water after lunch. But, even with that, still posted the above.  

• Rage+1 1

Drug my sled to the hill country Friday to take the kids tubing.  Had a fantastic time. Something about running in that clear cool water just feels good for a boat that’s lived it’s entire life in saltwater.  Thanks again, @Cajun

On 7/30/2022 at 4:40 PM, Sbbruin said:

First time on the boat in a month, and first time away from the dock since Father’s Day.  Not how I planned for the summer to go.  But go to get a little sea air in my face.

Glad to see you you are feeling up to it.  Has to be absolutely therapeutic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/30/2022 at 5:30 PM, blacklab said:

A special shout out to idiots going 5 miles an hour. WTF are you doing? Fucking speed up or anchor. You make it dangerous for those of us pulling wakeboards or tubes by clogging up a huge chunk of the lake. 

25 years ago we cruised up & down Lake Austin during weekday mornings from Tom Miller to Greenshores in our 1975 vintage Glastron V-156, and might see a dozen other boats out on the water in total.

It looked just like this one except with 65 hp.

702D5D37-3079-4B1A-8A53-77CE389B3BE3.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

25 years ago we cruised up & down Lake Austin during weekday mornings from Tom Miller to Greenshores in our 1975 vintage Glastron V-156, and might see a dozen other boats out on the water in total.

Yep.  We'd cut classes in college to get out there at 7 am from Walsh Landing and ski on the glass.  There were lots more ranches and cows along the lake back then.

48 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Yep.  We'd cut classes in college to get out there at 7 am from Walsh Landing and ski on the glass.  There were lots more ranches and cows along the lake back then.

In 1962 my brother & I owned a 15’ Glasspar runabout. I used to take my gf Elaine out once in a while for a little waterskiing.

Launched at Walsh one time and she held the boatline at the dock while I parked the car & trailer. When I walked down to the dock she was looking bewildered and the closer I got it was obvious why - the boat was filling with water. Dumbass me forgot to put in the drain plug. Jumped in ASAP and plugged it.
Luckily we bailed it out enough to get it going and remove the plug to drain it at speed.

I wonder what Elaine looks like 60 years later.

CA81EC16-D8C1-407B-80DB-5734E5D9E424.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dcbc said:

Boating would be so much better without all the other boaters.

Depends.  Good boaters?  No issue at all.  But that’s getting more and more scarce.  Part of the blame for that goes to these rental companies.

When I’m on Canyon Lake and see a shit-ton of Axis Wake Boats out there with the exact same color scheme, I know to keep my head on a swivel.  That’s what the big marina out there rents.  The good thing about that lake is those fuckers don’t know the little hideaways and there are those aplenty.  The Sea Doo fucksticks are really bad too.  They have zero idea what “No wake zone” means.  Saw two of them get nailed by the sheriff just this weekend.  They were running full speed up and down the cove with ramps 5 & 6, 30 yards away while people were launching.  That sheriff must have been watching with optics somewhere because he came busting in from the other side of the lake to nail their sorry asses.  

It was so enjoyable watching them get handed ciatations while the water heroes lectured them in front of the boat ramp crowd to everyone’s delight.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Was at LBJ yesterday and felt like Labor Day or 4th of July.  Also had some jackass in a pontoon boat run into/break the swim platform while I was eating at Boat Town and not say anything about it.  Didn’t notice until I jumped in the water after lunch. But, even with that, still posted the above.  

Good old LBJ, the prop destroyer.