The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Or here.  We wear bibs on winter snapper and spring tuna trips here. Hell even had to fishing LOBI a few times when that last norther seems to always hit it

https://grundens.com/collections/fishing-bibs/products/herkules-16-bib-pants

The original.  If you go in the water wearing these and boots … don’t worry, you won’t suffer for long and, bonus, you’ll get a ride on the Flying Dutchman.

So I took the boat in to the shop about 4-5 weeks ago for a smashed transducer, gas gauge sending unit replacement, and went ahead and did the impeller and lower unit fluid change.  EASY stuff.  I get the call Friday that it was ready, said I'll be there at 9A Tuesday (today) to pick it up.

Get there this morning, and the service manager said "did you want that transducer installed?"  All I could do was

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e470bd8ctes9auo4rd2hn

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cross posting, but came down for what will likely be the last time for months.  Met with my guy who lives on his boat just a few boats away.  He’s a shipwright and is going to take care of her for a few months for me.  I’ve been so uncomfortable just letting her sit here.  But she’ll be ok, and we will have better days.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Cross posting, but came down for what will likely be the last time for months.  Met with my guy who lives on his boat just a few boats away.  He’s a shipwright and is going to take care of her for a few months for me.  I’ve been so uncomfortable just letting her sit here.  But she’ll be ok, and we will have better days.

Yes you will.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

someone tell me why I shouldn't....

I'm very seriously considering doing this trip as a trial for a more significant pacific trip:

https://www.panexplore.com/2022/09/02/california-coast-san-francisco-ensenada/

Day 1: Afternoon Arrival on Sea Dragon

You’ll meet us on the dock in Sausalito anytime between 1500 and 1700 and come on board to settle in. Everyone will come together for our first dinner on board and have the opportunity to get to know your fellow crew members. After dinner, your professional crew will go through life on board and safety procedures in prep for departure the following morning. You’ll be fitted with your own lifejacket and assigned foul weather gear if you haven’t brought your own. We’ll stay the night alongside.

Day 2: Sail to Half Moon Bay

After a delicious breakfast, we’ll get underway down the coast to Half-Moon Bay – it’s a short sail, perfect for learning the ropes. We’ll arrive early enough to be able to explore the small town before dinner. On anchor for the night.

Day 3: Sail To Morro Bay

Today we’ll get underway down the coast to Morro Bay – this is normally a great downwind sail with lots of whales. You’ll get to watch the sun set into the ocean off of Big Sur, and then settle in for the first overnight passage of the trip.

Day 4: Arrive in Morro Bay

After our first overnight passage, we’ll arrive in Morro Bay mid-afternoon.

Day 5: Explore Morro Bay

We’ll spend the day exploring beautiful and quaint Morro Bay.

Day 6:  Depart Morro Bay for Catalina

We’ll leave Morro Bay in the morning for the longest sail of the trip – close to 200 miles of downwind blasting to Catalina.

Day 7: Arrive Two Harbors, Catalina Island

We’ll head south to beautiful Two Harbors on Catalina Island. Overnight on mooring.

Day 8: Explore Two Harbors, Catalina Island

We’ll have the day to explore the less visited side of Catalina – hiking, swimming, snorkeling, or just chilling on the beach.

Day 9: To Avalon

We’ll cruise down the coast of Catalina to Avalon, the major town on the island, where we’ll go ashore to explore.

Day 10: Sail to San Diego

After a night on the mooring in Avalon, we’ll be up early to sail to San Diego. We’ll keep a sharp lookout for dolphins and whales as we cross the channel to the mainland, then spend the night on the dock in San Diego.

Day 11: Clear Customs San Diego, sail to Mexico

We’ll need to clear customs out of the US before heading to Mexico, so will do this first thing in the morning. As soon as we’re done, we’ll get off the dock and continue our passage down to Ensenada. This passage should be full of nice sailing and marine mammals. Night on the dock in Marina Coral, Ensenada.

Day 12: Clear Customs in Mexico, Explore Ensenada

After clearing through Customs, you’ll have the afternoon to explore Ensenada – get some tacos, go wine tasting, or just soak in the hot tub at Hotel Coral!

Day 13: After a last breakfast together, it will be time to head home. You should plan to be off the boat by 0900.

on this boat:

I'd like to then do Ensenada to HI // HI to Tahiti (2 legs) .. which is 2 months with one week ashore in HI - or a similar type trip in another year, more here:

https://www.panexplore.com/adventure-sailing/

tell me why I shouldn't....

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

97C701B1-5D6B-4EE1-814F-11DAB3D37B56.thumb.png.e190c5efecf4cdee629cc969ef5e1ae6.png

keep it in the boat all the time. Just plug in about October when it’s usually last time out. Of course I’m a bit farther north then y’all and it stays on a hydra  hoist at the marina but it’s so much easier then pulling plugs and such. Mounts in the bilge 

Edited by Eugene11
  • Hook 'Em 1

We started our boat on the lift to blow the water out - 8 second count and killed it - then put the heater in the engine compartment The one we have stays on waiting for a 40 degree temp then the heat element kicks on. 

Edited by troph

51 minutes ago, troph said:

We started our boat on the lift to blow the water out - 8 second count and killed it - then put the heater in the engine compartment The one we have stays on waiting for a 40 degree temp then the heat element kicks on. 

That not a bad idea.  I hadn’t thought of that.  Just. Little added insurance in case heater fails or gets unplugged by ne’er do wells 

• Hook 'Em 1

New oyster 495 has been out just a little while now and tested. I know it’s not G650’s brand but for a comfortable blue water cruiser / easy coastal cruising man it’s panty dropper. Of course I tell my wife that and she says every boat is a panty dropper for you babe. She’s got a point. 

Full sized walk around king sized bed, thoughtful layouts, carbon fiber mast and boom in this model, as shown in the video I found it priced for 1.5m sterling pounds so about $1.8m new. It might not be the racer’s boat but damn if there isn’t a better looking boat out there. Haven’t sailed one but would like to. Oyster world rally is a huge draw too I’d love to get an experienced hobby / non-professional crew and 6 person sail that with one of my sons across the southern latitudes with support like they have. I’m gonna homer drool my own post. 

1880141C-82CE-43A7-B5CA-87C205DC4276.jpeg

F20B12BB-9CAC-4AB3-BD26-6F265E5460AD.jpeg

FF864720-A8D0-4210-AA85-BC983C1E5D46.jpeg

C8B11300-9632-4959-B385-AD1F3F086392.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 10:49 PM, troph said:

New oyster 495 has been out just a little while now and tested. I know it’s not G650’s brand but for a comfortable blue water cruiser / easy coastal cruising man it’s panty dropper. Of course I tell my wife that and she says every boat is a panty dropper for you babe. She’s got a point. 

Full sized walk around king sized bed, thoughtful layouts, carbon fiber mast and boom in this model, as shown in the video I found it priced for 1.5m sterling pounds so about $1.8m new. It might not be the racer’s boat but damn if there isn’t a better looking boat out there. Haven’t sailed one but would like to. Oyster world rally is a huge draw too I’d love to get an experienced hobby / non-professional crew and 6 person sail that with one of my sons across the southern latitudes with support like they have. I’m gonna homer drool my own post. 

1880141C-82CE-43A7-B5CA-87C205DC4276.jpeg

F20B12BB-9CAC-4AB3-BD26-6F265E5460AD.jpeg

FF864720-A8D0-4210-AA85-BC983C1E5D46.jpeg

C8B11300-9632-4959-B385-AD1F3F086392.jpeg

Oh I think the historic Oyster brand is as good as it gets. I was just cautioning they had a bad run of keels falling off a few years ago which is basically as bad a thing that can happen, so just exercise caution.

So been laying low lately but we just did the Ft Lauderdale to Key West race last week. Very nice conditions overall, a little light off Miami but then the breeze filled for some pretty sweet Code 0 reaching in 15 to 20 knots in the wee hours.

Screenshot-20230107-082430.jpg

Screenshot-20230107-082415.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Oh I think the historic Oyster brand is as good as it gets. I was just cautioning they had a bad run of keels falling off a few years ago which is basically as bad a thing that can happen, so just exercise caution.

I have no caution when IG shopping.  as for the long term and real life scenerios, not sure how it's going to play out. All I know is I have to do a trans-oceanic trip, at least one, probably two before I say see ya.

* I only know of one on that 80 footer.  These new boats are 2 owners later and completely redesigned and if I was ever in the market for this 495 it would most certainly be used and 5-6 years from now.

Edited by troph

A bit off subject, but figured some of you aquatic a-holes would appreciate the view.  Yesterday morning I sent the drone up to get the sunrise b/c my newborn granddaughter was coming to visit for the first time.  I thought it might be cool, but didn't quite expect this.  Sorry for the Buffet (for the haters), song just seemed to work...

• Hook 'Em 5

On 1/15/2023 at 6:32 AM, Cajun said:

A bit off subject, but figured some of you aquatic a-holes would appreciate the view.  Yesterday morning I sent the drone up to get the sunrise b/c my newborn granddaughter was coming to visit for the first time.  I thought it might be cool, but didn't quite expect this.  Sorry for the Buffet (for the haters), song just seemed to work...

I think I missed the part where you flew over a boat/beach with topless chick's.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations!! I sure hope I get grandkids soon. No pressure though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

No better days than blue bird days with no one else out. I prefer it to be a lot warmer at this point in my life before I go out though.

That is one hell of a dock in that picture. Most everything around us has to be floating, so the concept of it is way different than what you see in our area.

No better days than blue bird days with no one else out. I prefer it to be a lot warmer at this point in my life before I go out though.

That is one hell of a dock in that picture. Most everything around us has to be floating, so the concept of it is way different than what you see in our area.

Lake Austin…. Serious money lives on that part of the river.

I guess I don't get it. Is it something about that symbol? I have no idea what that means.

Anyway, I love the boat (and RV) show, too.  And the kids love it even more than I do.  Such a great opportunity to see all the latest layouts, floorplans, gadgets, etc.

Of course, the sticker shock gets more terrifying with every passing year...

• Hook 'Em 1