The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

6 hours ago, utee94 said:

I guess I don't get it. Is it something about that symbol? I have no idea what that means.

Anyway, I love the boat (and RV) show, too.  And the kids love it even more than I do.  Such a great opportunity to see all the latest layouts, floorplans, gadgets, etc.

Of course, the sticker shock gets more terrifying with every passing year...

It’s the Yellowstone ranch brand - from the much loved much hated TV show with Kevin Costner.  

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Thanks for the clarification.  I've obviously  never seen the show.  

There is a long thread on the TV board about it. Most here hate it. I like it. You’re the first to have no awareness or no opinion. It’s a love or hate thing. Mostly hate here, duh.

1 hour ago, troph said:

There is a long thread on the TV board about it. Most here hate it. I like it. You’re the first to have no awareness or no opinion. It’s a love or hate thing. Mostly hate here, duh.

Put me in his camp, I had no idea what it was either when I saw it in the picture. Now I have no idea why it would be on a boat. People and misplaced pop culture references in general are strange.

Edited by Brew

53 minutes ago, Brew said:

Put me in his camp, I had no idea what it was either when I saw it in the picture. Now I have no idea why it would be on a boat. People and misplaced pop culture references in general are strange.

it's a really dumb thing on a boat.

On 12/27/2022 at 7:49 PM, troph said:

New oyster 495 has been out just a little while now and tested. I know it’s not G650’s brand but for a comfortable blue water cruiser / easy coastal cruising man it’s panty dropper. Of course I tell my wife that and she says every boat is a panty dropper for you babe. She’s got a point. 

Full sized walk around king sized bed, thoughtful layouts, carbon fiber mast and boom in this model, as shown in the video I found it priced for 1.5m sterling pounds so about $1.8m new. It might not be the racer’s boat but damn if there isn’t a better looking boat out there. Haven’t sailed one but would like to. Oyster world rally is a huge draw too I’d love to get an experienced hobby / non-professional crew and 6 person sail that with one of my sons across the southern latitudes with support like they have. I’m gonna homer drool my own post. 

1880141C-82CE-43A7-B5CA-87C205DC4276.jpeg

F20B12BB-9CAC-4AB3-BD26-6F265E5460AD.jpeg

FF864720-A8D0-4210-AA85-BC983C1E5D46.jpeg

C8B11300-9632-4959-B385-AD1F3F086392.jpeg

A dream boat if ever there was

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...

My crusty ass beater bass boat wouldn't start the other day (just a dead battery) and made me feel the urge to get something a little newer and more reliable.  I started poking around looking at used stuff thinking prices may have moderated a bit - FML.

I haven't been watching them long enough yet to tell if boats are actually moving at these asking prices, but holy shit man.  I'm looking for an aluminum boat around 19-20 ft, bass boat or center console, 2015 - 2020ish, with at least 50 hp.  You can't find much of anything under 20k that doesn't look like a total junker.

This is the best value I've seen so far and it's really not quite as big as I want.  I've got 3 kids and they all like to fish.  Taking all of them on something like this is asking for a trip to the hospital.  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/6234223276607041/

An Avid or Ranger rt would be ideal, but I'd rather not spend 35k on an aluminum boat.

Prices are dropping, not sure if they'll ever get back to where they were in '18-'19.  My particular boat went from it's floor for several years, back to selling what I paid for it, back down in between now.  But they went up considerably in price about 18 months after I built it, so I've always had a skewed equity in it. But yeah, fuck these prices. 

7 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Outboard supplies are finally loosening up so new build times are coming down. That's likely what's affecting used prices more than anything...well that an interest rates. 

Bosses new SCB went from +6 months over original build time, to right on time, to back to 4+ months out.  They told him a bunch of people opted out of their builds when the rates first shot up, but guessing they eventually sold their spot in line.   I know 6-8 years ago just a relatively decent spot in line was going for >10k. 

5 hours ago, The Royal We said:

After trolling around FB marketplace for most of the day this one looks like decent value.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/667210194948784/

I would say hit up LOBI/TOBI and throw an offer at the boat winner at the end of the night, but think they quit giving away boat last few years I heard. 

On 1/28/2023 at 10:21 AM, Brew said:

No better days than blue bird days with no one else out. I prefer it to be a lot warmer at this point in my life before I go out though.

That is one hell of a dock in that picture. Most everything around us has to be floating, so the concept of it is way different than what you see in our area.

2nd visit of granddaughter, so I sent up the drone again for sunrise over Canyon LK.  About as "blue bird" as it gets I think...

• Hook 'Em 1

Hopefully someone in this thread can help shed some boat knowledge on me.  I'm in the process of buying a cruiser on Lake Travis that's registered with the USCG instead of titled with Texas.  It's my understanding that all we need to do is fill out a bill of sale, notarized by the buyer and seller and send it to the USCG with a copy of the USCG certification.  Does that sound right?  I guess that once the paperwork with the USCG is filed, and fees paid, I can then register it under my name with Texas Parks for the stickers?  Sounds weird not having a Texas Title.  

26 minutes ago, BottleRocket said:

Hopefully someone in this thread can help shed some boat knowledge on me.  I'm in the process of buying a cruiser on Lake Travis that's registered with the USCG instead of titled with Texas.  It's my understanding that all we need to do is fill out a bill of sale, notarized by the buyer and seller and send it to the USCG with a copy of the USCG certification.  Does that sound right?  I guess that once the paperwork with the USCG is filed, and fees paid, I can then register it under my name with Texas Parks for the stickers?  Sounds weird not having a Texas Title.  

When I sold my old boat out of state (Canadian buyer, actually), I did separate bills of sale for the boat and trailer.  I also made sure to get the serial number listed on the bill of sale for the motor along with the hull ID number on the boat.  I didn't bother ever getting bills of sale notarized to get things registered in Texas, but it doesn't hurt.  I don't know anything about dealing with the coast guard, but it seems like they'd only need information if you intend to keep it registered, unless you're just notifying them of the sale.  But that's a new one for me.

Edited by dcbc

On 2/23/2023 at 7:59 PM, BottleRocket said:

Do you mean documented?

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Do you mean documented?

Yes.  It's a USCG documented vessel.  I think I have it figured out now after some googling.  USCG documented boats don't get titled by State (Texas) - only registered.  So I'm filling out the transfer info on the back of the Certificate of Documentation today with the current owner and notary.  Once that's done, I take the paperwork to Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife to register it with Texas, pay any fees and taxes, and get stickers.   "Title" is with USCG and "Registration" is with Texas.  Sound about right?  

If everything goes well, I'll be a member of the club by the end of the day!  For better or for worse!

3 minutes ago, BottleRocket said:

Yes.  It's a USCG documented vessel.  I think I have it figured out now after some googling.  USCG documented boats don't get titled by State (Texas) - only registered.  So I'm filling out the transfer info on the back of the Certificate of Documentation today with the current owner and notary.  Once that's done, I take the paperwork to Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife to register it with Texas, pay any fees and taxes, and get stickers.   "Title" is with USCG and "Registration" is with Texas.  Sound about right?  

If everything goes well, I'll be a member of the club by the end of the day!  For better or for worse!

Overall, yes. Depending on the size of the vessel, which is calculated by a volume formula, it may not require documentation, but if it's already done then you can transfer it. As far as the Texas bit, every state has different requirements for registration. Most states don't require registering documented craft, but not all. I'm not familiar with Texas, but you may want to check to see if it's even necessary with a documented craft.

Welcome to the club!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This popped up in one of the Bahamas sailing  facebook groups. Monohull under sail ran aground somewhere in the Exumas. No idea how you fall asleep in the Exumas as you're usually just doing day hop sailing.

We skipped this season but are itching to get back on the boat. Our boat is on the hard in Virginia and I'll go back for a month in April to knock out some boat projects and then return again Sep/Oct to put in the water and then head south. Can't fucking wait.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, BottleRocket said:

8 hours ago, G650 said:

Overall, yes. Depending on the size of the vessel, which is calculated by a volume formula, it may not require documentation, but if it's already done then you can transfer it. As far as the Texas bit, every state has different requirements for registration. Most states don't require registering documented craft, but not all. I'm not familiar with Texas, but you may want to check to see if it's even necessary with a documented craft.

Welcome to the club!

Hear hear!!

How big we talking? Just what my dock needs, another 65fter rolling by on an even a narrower LT.

51 minutes ago, Horns99 said:

How big we talking? Just what my dock needs, another 65fter rolling by on an even a narrower LT.

It's a 40' cruiser and it's going to be quite a project.  It's barely been used in the last 10 years.  Dock queen.  Fuel system is gunked, batteries dead, electrical systems unknown, etc..  My wife's uncle is moving and he practically gave it to us.  The inside is cherry though.  It's going to be nice once we get her up and running.  I have boating experience on Travis but not for anything this size.  I'll be getting lessons for sure.

pick 1 out.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

So I’m getting pretty spoiled this trip to Costa Rica. So far I’ve fished multiple days on a 65’ American Custom Yacht. And one day each on a 65’ Rybovich, 50’ Blackwell, 60’ Jim Smith, 64’ Viking, 64’ Duffie, 72’ Merritt, 51’ Scarborough, and a 68’ Viking. They’ve all been amazing fishing machines but the Rybovich and Merritt really stood out. I wish I had taken more pictures but here’s a few I took and some I grabbed off the internet.

ABC04C2F-08A4-4A0E-A6F2-C43F5C8B8B4D.jpeg

394730EC-744B-4D5F-92CF-C230372807E0.jpeg

D86E813F-7EAC-42B2-A762-F196B853EF63.jpeg

36BBC4F8-C276-44A9-B784-06513D5946B1.jpeg

DDD09A2F-B55E-4795-B74D-7D06B4F74DF6.jpeg

BC304C3A-A3C9-4522-BE60-F79141BE872D.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Drool 2

On 8/27/2022 at 9:29 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

Beso beach Ibiza.  Real Man Boat.  

D9FDAAC2-DA5B-4E1C-9ADF-186A0C79809F.jpeg

I confess that I know jack shit about boats, sailing or powered, although I certainly do like them. This was from our annual trip to France in 2019. 

Sailing Yacht A

It was incredible to see.

https://www.nobiskrug.com/fleet/sailing-yacht-a/

DSC06397.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I confess that I know jack shit about boats, sailing or powered, although I certainly do like them. This was from our annual trip to France in 2019. 

Sailing Yacht A

It was incredible to see.

https://www.nobiskrug.com/fleet/sailing-yacht-a/

DSC06397.JPG

That yacht got seized by the Italians.  Fuck those Russian assholes.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 5:17 AM, troph said:

You’re living right.

No fucking shit.  That’s insane you had access to all of that, in epic fishing grounds.  Unreal.

stretching her legs for the first time in months.  Need to run her up,to Redondo for a haul out on Friday.  New bottom and new rigging (ouch, but it’s past time).  Really want to be primed for a catalina  summer.

7D1CFF57-C2EC-4B2E-8296-BD01E174B105.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

No fucking shit.  That’s insane you had access to all of that, in epic fishing grounds.  Unreal.

stretching her legs for the first time in months.  Need to run her up,to Redondo for a haul out on Friday.  New bottom and new rigging (ouch, but it’s past time).  Really want to be primed for a catalina  summer.

7D1CFF57-C2EC-4B2E-8296-BD01E174B105.jpeg

Episode 5 Drinking GIF by The Bachelor

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wake boat owners:  What are you seeing for the hourly shop wage for service right now?  I have an older Malibu and the power wedge isnt working properly.  Just trying to get a baseline.

Also, what are you paying per foot to wash and wax?  My local place is $15, I think that is pretty good but I may be wrong. 

8 hours ago, markstanco said:

Also, what are you paying per foot to wash and wax?  My local place is $15, I think that is pretty good but I may be wrong. 

On my boat, a detailed waxing is about $20/ft, so that's not bad, but I have more freeboard than a wakeboat.