The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

So I told the fam "let's go to the boat" knowing full well they would say no. So I said I needed to do some prep for a trip I'm doing in 2 weeks to Catalina with some buddies. Taking my boat and my buddy's sick ass Cabo 48.
4e56e2d8b662be36c1262573ee6bb409.jpg

I have the boat ready now, but to heck with them. Love being 45 mins closer.
ebd5e817311f6025fad2e0888c7344ed.jpg

What the fuck are you talking about troph.

Counterfeits and I don’t need to hide money from a wife I’m cured of that and no tax on this bc I paid more. There’s zero reason to take 300 hundred dollar bills. He said he’d bring a cashiers check.

Am I being stupid?

Y’all would really take a sack of cash?

I’m kinda shocked. But willing to be wrong (I think)

Counterfeits and I don’t need to hide money from a wife I’m cured of that and no tax on this bc I paid more. There’s zero reason to take 300 hundred dollar bills. He said he’d bring a cashiers check.

Am I being stupid?

Y’all would really take a sack of cash?

I’m kinda shocked.

Legal Tender for all Debts public and private.

Once my folks sold a piece of real estate (around $50-60k) and the guy paid with a bag full of cash. It was kind of an event at the small town bank when my dad brought in that much cash.

PFD repacking day.

Serious PSA: If any of you guys go offshore and use inflatable pfd's, jump in a pool or lake and try them out first. Learn how they work, how to repack, and how they should fit. You don't want to try and learn that stuff in an emergency. 

As some of you may know (I talked about it on the old site), last July we had a MOB situation last year in the middle of the night in 50+ knots of breeze. Boat was doing about 20 knots and we ended up almost 2 miles away by the time we got turned around. And this is on a boat with multiple professionals and high end amateurs that counted everything from transatlantics to round the world races. I personally have done tens of thousands of miles with the guy who fell in in everything from dinghies to big boat professional programs. It was the scariest and most humbling thing I've ever experienced. Everyone on the boat reassessed our commitment to safety, and realized the decades without an incident had made complacency worse.

I have given several safety seminar talks this spring on the incident, mainly because we were, for reasons too complex to go into here, a very rare case. We actually recovered our guy. The day after the Safety at Sea talk in Annapolis this year, I learned on the way home that one of the Volvo round the world sailors fell over in awful conditions in the Southern Ocean, and was lost. These guys are the best ocean racers on the planet, and just like that lost a guy. I was upset for days after hearing, it's almost a PTSD condition. I beg everyone to keep vigilant on safety, because I don't want anyone else to have to deal with that kind of emotional baggage. 

Edited by G650
  • Like 1

We had a rough day on the lake, exploring a different area and hit a rock berm (about 100 yards off the bank) All souls accounted for, did have one minor casualty:

e10d4e8383bcac483dc5aa90772d72f2.heic

Used a wakeboard to steer back to a dock and called a friend to take me back to get my truck.

33 minutes ago, 686 said:

We had a rough day on the lake, exploring a different area and hit a rock berm (about 100 yards off the bank) All souls accounted for, did have one minor casualty:

e10d4e8383bcac483dc5aa90772d72f2.heic

Used a wakeboard to steer back to a dock and called a friend to take me back to get my truck.

Yikes!  How's the shaft?  I stared at the plate above the prop for a good minute before I remembered there should be a rudder there.  Did you find the rudder, you know, to make a trophy later.  I've got a bent-over tracking fin I keep around as a reminder. 

Anyway, that sucks.  Call the insurance company.

Edited by dcbc

Yikes!  How's the shaft?  .... Call the insurance company.

Shaft is bent. So I’m at least looking at new rudder, prop, shaft, seals, maybe the mounting struts/hubs and seals too. Over $1k in parts, I’m guessing $1k in labor. I’ll probably do the steering cables as well.

Here’s my policy limits, I haven’t had many insurance claims, I guess this means maybe I’m only out $500 for this :

ee3ef58b2d0138c94a94ebeee6a96455.heic

8 minutes ago, 686 said:

Shaft is bent. So I’m at least looking at new rudder, prop, shaft, seals, maybe the mounting struts/hubs and seals too. Over $1k in parts, I’m guessing $1k in labor. I’ll probably do the steering cables as well.

Here’s my policy limits, I haven’t had many insurance claims, I guess this means maybe I’m only out $500 for this :

ee3ef58b2d0138c94a94ebeee6a96455.heic

Yeah.  $500.  I messed up a relative's boat that required a bottom job afterward.  Reconditioned the prop (yours looks iffy, but you never know), new shaft, gel coat repair (fortunately, the prop didn't get pushed too far up into the glass).  Parts and labor were around $1,200.  Strut, seals, and all things up the chain were fine. 

If you go the steering cable route, get one that lets you grease the zerks.  I replaced my rudder at one point and got one with a trim tab on it.  Got the greasable variety put in.  It's nice to be able to do that.

Since you mentioned rocks, I'm guessing Austin area?

Did you find the rudder, you know, to make a trophy later....
Anyway, that sucks.

Trophy hunting crossed my mind, but we had a ~15 knot wind blowing us toward a rocky shoreline and 90 degrees from our desired course towards the closest ramp (which was about 1/4 mile away), I had some pretty concerned girls/women on board, and no potential tow help in sight. Needless to say, I was up to my eyeballs.

I know where I hit though, so I’m going to try to find it at some point.

It could have been much worse, thank the Lord we didn’t have any hull damage/weren’t taking on water fast or anything like that.

1 minute ago, 686 said:

Trophy hunting crossed my mind, but we had a ~15 knot wind blowing us toward a rocky shoreline and 90 degrees from our desired course towards the closest ramp (which was about 1/4 mile away), I had some pretty concerned girls/women on board, and no potential tow help in sight. Needless to say, I was up to my eyeballs.

I know where I hit though, so I’m going to try to find it at some point.

It could have been much worse, thank the Lord we didn’t have any hull damage/weren’t taking on water fast or anything like that.

Good to hear.  Glad all aboard came out okay.  Boats can be fixed or replaced. 

Yeah.  $500.... If you go the steering cable route, get one that lets you grease the zerks... Since you mentioned rocks, I'm guessing Austin area?

Good info, thanks! We were on Belton today, down in the deeper part of the lake, I was just unfamiliar with how far this rock shelf went out:

1f3aa5b153780e2fa56a12a55edc9ce0.png

Normally on this lake if you’re twenty yards offshore you’re in way over 20’ of water:

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

That's no fun.  How are the lake levels?  Here in the state's northeastern block, things are getting close to August levels.  No bueno.

Lake is in pretty good shape at 94% full, only 2' below "full pool" elevation. This is of course my fault, but it would be nice if there was a buoy on that rock ledge.

47 minutes ago, 686 said:

Lake is in pretty good shape at 94% full, only 2' below "full pool" elevation. This is of course my fault, but it would be nice if there was a buoy on that rock ledge.

Next time you're out, take something to mark it.  We boat on a lake with lots of obstacles and it's what we do because no one else will.

Want to add to our boat toys since my son 10 is having trouble skiing and my daughter 6 is still too little to ski. I found a deal called the Zup  board and was wondering if anyone has tried it or has any better ideas for something they both can enjoy.

https://www.overtons.com/product/details?pdesc=ZUP-YouGotThis-2-0-Multi-Sport-Board&i=321897

That’s an odd contraption. I will say that mine enjoyed knee boarding when they were younger. They would just hold the rope and ride. It was much easier for them than wakeboards and skis, because we would pull them off the beach and it didn’t require any real grip strength like coming up out of the water on something does.

1 hour ago, Yarbr said:

Want to add to our boat toys since my son 10 is having trouble skiing and my daughter 6 is still too little to ski. I found a deal called the Zup  board and was wondering if anyone has tried it or has any better ideas for something they both can enjoy.

https://www.overtons.com/product/details?pdesc=ZUP-YouGotThis-2-0-Multi-Sport-Board&i=321897

Kneeboard for the little one, all three of mine learned at age five and I’ve gotten at least a dozen kids up on them without difficulty.  Skis are hard, probably easier to get him up on a 124-128cm wakeboard.  

Mine love the Zup. Great for guest kids that have never been behind a boat also, because the board is big enough for an adult to ride it with the kid.

bd38b1eced2c6a4e7af4176cf52373d3.jpg

af8b1affa712e35c2d1cd9782e67aa42.heic

It’s also neat that you can stand up on it with the kid:

5355d4ef6d24265c1a400caa95f2260c.jpg

I posted this on the rain thread, but Saturday was a wild one out on Lake Austin at the Pennybacker Bridge.

There was only one dark cloud overhead at the time with sunny skies everywhere else, but it poured on us in Bull Creek in Lake Austin on Saturday around 3:30-4.  Then apparently some dumbass dove from the bridge into the water, which brought out two water-based rescue jet skis and one water-based fire rescue boat (all of them screamed through Bull Creek at 40+ mph easy), plus 3 ambulances and 2 firetrucks parked at the boat ramp, one police boat, and Starflight.  All of that basically shut down the ramp for 45 minutes while the rain started pouring again, while about two dozen boats were all trying to pull off the water.  Total ClusterF but it could have been worse-- at least there were no jackwagon Game Wardens to foul things up.

1 minute ago, Yarbr said:

Lol, I just ordered one. Using code boatingweek on the Zup site I got $50 off and no sales tax.

A couple tips - when you are going to pull a kid, tell them to lay down and be far enough back on the board so at least their feet are in the water (then get up on their knees once you're getting up to speed), and don't drive the boat overly slow starting the pull. If the kids are too far forward and/or you start too slowly, the front of the board could dive and the kid will get a facefull of water, and you will have just set yourself back. I take about 15' out of my tow rope so they are closer to the boat and pull kids from the tower, which also helps keep the nose of the board up at slow speeds (10-11 mph).

So I am in the Facebook Catalina 36 FB group, where owners exchange info, ideas, questions, pics, etc.  This one guy from Texas joined recently and has been spewing questions.  His latest was asking who has gone from a Max-prop (folding prop) to a fixed blade prop?  My first question was why in the world you would go that way?  I have a fixed blade, but only because I don't want to spend the money on a folding prop.  But people swear you get .5-1 kt quicker under sail.  Anyway, he says he can't get anywhere near 5kts on smooth water.  What?  Then he posts a picture.  I think I see your problem.  Says he hasn't had his bottom cleaned in over a year.  It needs to be done at a minimum every other month, more frequently if your bottom paint has some time on it.  So I clicked his profile.  11182022_10205149306230604_1191987810651Texas A&M Class of 1989 · College Station, Texas

35196969_10210741976416013_8421802728488

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

So ...This one guy from Texas joined recently and has been spewing questions.  His latest was asking [a bass-ackward question insinuating he wanted to essentially downgrade the gear on his sailboat (because its slow), clearly indicating he doesn't know what the fuck he's doing]...  So I clicked his profile.  11182022_10205149306230604_1191987810651Texas A&M Class of 1989 

You see what we're dealing with over here?  "Aggie Jokes" were/are stories just like yours, that sound like fiction, but are usually based in/largely fact. Its Dunning-Kruger on an institutional scale.

Edited by 686

On 6/10/2018 at 11:59 AM, G650 said:

PFD repacking day.

Serious PSA: If any of you guys go offshore and use inflatable pfd's, jump in a pool or lake and try them out first. Learn how they work, how to repack, and how they should fit. You don't want to try and learn that stuff in an emergency. 

As some of you may know (I talked about it on the old site), last July we had a MOB situation last year in the middle of the night in 50+ knots of breeze. Boat was doing about 20 knots and we ended up almost 2 miles away by the time we got turned around. And this is on a boat with multiple professionals and high end amateurs that counted everything from transatlantics to round the world races. I personally have done tens of thousands of miles with the guy who fell in in everything from dinghies to big boat professional programs. It was the scariest and most humbling thing I've ever experienced. Everyone on the boat reassessed our commitment to safety, and realized the decades without an incident had made complacency worse.

I have given several safety seminar talks this spring on the incident, mainly because we were, for reasons too complex to go into here, a very rare case. We actually recovered our guy. The day after the Safety at Sea talk in Annapolis this year, I learned on the way home that one of the Volvo round the world sailors fell over in awful conditions in the Southern Ocean, and was lost. These guys are the best ocean racers on the planet, and just like that lost a guy. I was upset for days after hearing, it's almost a PTSD condition. I beg everyone to keep vigilant on safety, because I don't want anyone else to have to deal with that kind of emotional baggage. 

I do a ton of solo'ing, and I NEVER go solo without both a harness, a pfd, and a plb.  Go over alone and it's syonara.  Need to give yourself a chance.  Although admittedly I haven't deployed the pfd.  I did recently change out the CO2 cartridge.

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I do a ton of solo'ing, and I NEVER go solo without both a harness, a pfd, and a plb.  Go over alone and it's syonara.  Need to give yourself a chance.  Although admittedly I haven't deployed the pfd.  I did recently change out the CO2 cartridge.

Being one of the 8 people who has recovered a MOB on epic conditions has given me a whole different perspective. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Tiger took his 155’ yacht to the Hamptons for the US Open.  He has 9 full time crew and annual operating expenses of $2 mil.  That’s livin’.  Pretty awesome for a relatively average player.

dude likes his Privacy:

PRIVACY-3.jpg?image_id=37189&k=626c&w=10

large_1558_070ab.png

Edited by 686
  • Like 1