The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

7 minutes ago, G650 said:

Don't you fuck this up

*don't let his water hating/fearing momma fuck this up...

Edit: I was told many a time to never marry a non sailor...and I am reaping what I sowed. Scrambling to sow something new now.

Edited by HOOKEM4

In sad news, a fellow sailor was lost during the Bermuda Race unfortunately.  Terrible to hear.
https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2022/06/20/sailor-falls-overboard-and-dies-during-newport-bermuda-race/

Question - I've got a mid 7 figure accidental death and dismemberment policy, would it pay if I died while boating?

20 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:
2 hours ago, G650 said:
In sad news, a fellow sailor was lost during the Bermuda Race unfortunately.  Terrible to hear.
https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2022/06/20/sailor-falls-overboard-and-dies-during-newport-bermuda-race/

Question - I've got a mid 7 figure accidental death and dismemberment policy, would it pay if I died while boating?

Boats I think you’re good.  Stay away from planes.  Lots of aviation exclusions.  And also don’t die.

You need some more weight in the back corner. Get an overflow bag plumbed in and get that surf wake where it needs to be or make the run by the beach and pick up some tag a longs.

Also, do you ID? I want to make sure I’m looking at legal ass in that group picture because it’s looking a little borderline.

• Hook 'Em 1

Back to dirt life until next year.

We hauled the boat last week in Virginia and spent three and a half days prepping for storage. Cleaning the inside, removing food, sails, lines, winterizing the water system and engines, dropping the dinghy, throwing away a shitload of crap, etc, etc. We're in a yard that caters to catamarans and they've got us stacked 3-4 deep.

I've been off the boat for a week and I'm ready to go back. The wife feels the same... "Why are we in Texas again?"

haulout.thumb.jpg.9d9ecc23be2e641b0e719276a51569dc.jpg

stored.thumb.jpg.183d243f22456f15985c1b46d3cc5de5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Viking said:

We hauled the boat last week in Virginia and spent three and a half days prepping for storage. Cleaning the inside, removing food, sails, lines, winterizing the water system and engines, dropping the dinghy, throwing away a shitload of crap, etc, etc. We're in a yard that caters to catamarans and they've got us stacked 3-4 deep.

I've been off the boat for a week and I'm ready to go back. The wife feels the same... "Why are we in Texas again?"

What’s you boat and what will it do… how boring is it actually under sail  ? 

And fuck all of you for slowly dragging my broken brain ass back into this thread. I need to get a sock. My “wife” tells me I’m a total mess for posting on my “boy board” after all that bullshit. Meh. Viking Bruin and private jet guy are posting about winning what else am I supposed to do?

Edited by troph
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, troph said:

And fuck all of you for slowly dragging my broken brain ass back into this thread. I need to get a sock. My “wife” tells me I’m a total mess for posting on my “boy board” after all that bullshit. Meh. Viking Bruin and private jet guy are posting about winning what else am I supposed to do?

Get out on the water and enjoy your life.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Get out on the water and enjoy your life.

Many times a week my friend tomorrow Friday probably Sunday too. Think Cajun without the hey mister or the barely legal. Btw all of you are going to jail. Thank him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, troph said:

Many times a week my friend tomorrow Friday probably Sunday too. Think Cajun without the hey mister or the barely legal. Btw all of you are going to jail. Thank him. 

I’m 2 months out on moving, and probably another couple of months out on the boat after that happens.  I should already have a boat, but supply chain issues on the house.  We were planning on moving in a month ago, but shit happens.

13 hours ago, Viking said:

What yard are you guys in?

On 6/22/2022 at 8:18 PM, troph said:

What’s you boat and what will it do… how boring is it actually under sail  ? 

Manta 42. It's a cruising boat so not fast like an HH or Outremer or the like. We did get up to 12kts this year sailing up the lee of Eleuthera in 18-20kts of wind but that's a rarity. I plan for 6-7kts under sail when passage planning.

On 6/23/2022 at 7:06 AM, G650 said:

What yard are you guys in?

Zimmerman Marine in Mathews. I heard nothing but good things about them (online and a lagoon owner that was there last year) and so far they've been great.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Viking said:

Manta 42. It's a cruising boat so not fast like an HH or Outremer or the like. We did get up to 12kts this year sailing up the lee of Eleuthera in 18-20kts of wind but that's a rarity. I plan for 6-7kts under sail when passage planning.

Zimmerman Marine in Mathews. I heard nothing but good things about them (online and a lagoon owner that was there last year) and so far they've been great.

Very good. I knew the old yard manager up there. My family actually has a house down the road Mathews in Gloucester.

On 6/22/2022 at 2:55 PM, Brew said:

You need some more weight in the back corner. Get an overflow bag plumbed in and get that surf wake where it needs to be or make the run by the beach and pick up some tag a longs.

Also, do you ID? I want to make sure I’m looking at legal ass in that group picture because it’s looking a little borderline.

I do not ID.  No one’s getting boogered or nekkid, so I think we’re safe there.  

As far as the the wake suggestions, I’m right there with you, but my kids are going to have to show more interest in surfing or it’s just not worth it to me.  Right now I’m pulling maybe two or three times a yr.  With marina gas at $6.70/gal it’s not exactly inspiring me to get more into it.

Since you guys are so worried about the “borderlines”, I decided to anchor close to a KOA campground today.  Got my first, “Hey sonny!” from the shoreline and she asked if I’d take her skiing…

98F1BDB0-8EAE-4E3F-BA2E-D8B7A3CAA8BA.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

953DFF5D-13D4-432A-B2C4-27041B85F902.thumb.jpeg.f03a543e9c7d5e8ac0e306c00c94a249.jpeg

first night on the water this year.  Still to cold this day(Saturday) to get in.  Yesterday was perfect for a little dip.  Still cold water but got used to it by going numb. Lol. Outside temp was in the 80s or low 90s so it was bearable. 

• Like 1

Anyone else have a love/hate relationship with 3M 5200? 

Was planning making a trip offshore with my son and his friend for the first time in a long while on Saturday and was doing so minor repairs Friday at the house.  I had replaced a wash down hose fitting that was leaking as I was  tightening the hose I noticed it was wiggling one off the bilge pump hoses and the end of the fitting.  Reached up to touch it and the fitting broke off in my hand.  That's not good.  Checked the other thruhulls and one of the scuppers broke off too.  Dammit, cancel that trip.  Kinda pissed the trip was shut down but relieved it didn't happen 15 miles offshore.  I was able to get some good stainless scupper replacements off of Amazon and made a trip down to the West Marine store in Kemah to get new hose and clamps.  I got the bad fittings replaced and will put in new hose tonight.

In case you are wondering, acetone will take black 5200 off of your hands and out of your hair.

image.thumb.jpeg.138dec6c994be5e28b38f4c8afe3efae.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ba2e10a8689fd5be5cc7088354af1ec3.jpeg

11 hours ago, G650 said:

Time to dip out toes in Lake Michigan. To quote Boz Scaggs, next stop Chi Town.

22464.jpg

Looking good.  

Questions - what is the sail inventory like for this race?   Main, jib, 3 kites?  Do you hipsters switch through jibs anymore or is it all non-overlapping? 1 jib and 1 big ass code zero?

what is the pack out per crew member?  1 small ass dry bag and it better weigh less than 10 pounds?

Do you haul all your water or try to use the lake water?

what does “big storm coming,” mode look like?  Reefs or small jib?  Some of those storms can get up in the wind velocity range.  Do you prep for bare pole and just ride it out or always racing?

Give it hell.

7 hours ago, CoTex said:

Looking good.  

Questions - what is the sail inventory like for this race?   Main, jib, 3 kites?  Do you hipsters switch through jibs anymore or is it all non-overlapping? 1 jib and 1 big ass code zero?

what is the pack out per crew member?  1 small ass dry bag and it better weigh less than 10 pounds?

Do you haul all your water or try to use the lake water?

what does “big storm coming,” mode look like?  Reefs or small jib?  Some of those storms can get up in the wind velocity range.  Do you prep for bare pole and just ride it out or always racing?

Give it hell.

On distance racing, the inventory is generally Main, 4 jibs (all non overlapping), 2 or 3 kites depending on forecast, if no big air we leave the A5 on the dock, and a masthead 0. Pretty much right on with the baggage allowance. I go even lighter than that usually, I did one Mac on another boat with a 5L dry bag and that was it. I try to explain to people that it's actually easier to be minimal. Fucking around in the bowels of a  race boat at 2 in the morning trying to find some shit in your bag is a fucking nightmare. Be simple, it's a lot easier. We usually can carry enough water for the race, but I like to have a filter on the boat just in case. I've done a drifter that took 3 days before and you definitely need lake water.

Heh. Big storm mode can be many things. We obviously have had our share of them in this race too. Typically if it's coming with that sort of violence, it's mainsheet ready to run, and drop main when it hits and drive off under jib if upwind, or kite down and run under main if downwind ala Down the Bay last year where we had 22 knots of boats speed under main alone. Reefing would be a general big air situation and not really a storm per se. I don't know that we would ever get to bare poles. That would be a serious ocean storm and I have to think we would avoid that at all costs.

Thanks for the wishes though and we will try and do the Surl proud.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh, so our kite inventory is an A1.5 reacher, A2 runner and A5 fractional, just to give you the nomenclature. We decided to skip an A4 heavy runner as it did not get much use on the last boat, but we actually are considering it now, or maybe an A2+ as the A2 is a handful in 20_ knots and sea state. The A3 has kind of gone the way of the dodo a bit on this size boat as the MH0 covers a lot of those angles/velocities.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I read the last few posts in the voices of these guys.  Would read again…

DC009FEE-EA7E-4229-AEDD-5D3BC6509246.jpeg

Yep.  Ball bearings.

So G650 is going to race up a lake and travel 290 miles by sailboat.  This is a huge sailing race that will get coverage in magazines and press.  People travel from far off to participate and weird things happen.  People win.  People die (rarely).  And I understand they party hard at the end.

It may be hot and slow with very little wind or windy, foggy.  Who knows?  He’s taking a variety of sails to be prepared to haul ass in all conditions.  He’s not taking a bunch of extraneous shit because weight is slow.  Water, food and a small bag.

History tells us some big ass storms roll across that lake and sometimes you have to decide “we racin, or we survivin’?”  He says “we ain’t takin’ the sails down no matter what.”  That’s because he’s got a lot of skill and can sail through almost anything.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This is awesome stuff.  I do not have these skills but definitely appreciate G650.  And yes this race is a big deal.  

Will probably be partaking in a few cocktails Thursday night if you are about. Friday will be trying to behave for Saturday's start

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Will probably be partaking in a few cocktails Thursday night if you are about. Friday will be trying to behave for Saturday's start

My trainer has a boxing match at soho 630 but will likely put 1-2 down afterwards.  Lmk where you’re at.  And yes don’t try to do the one and go home on Friday.  That’s done me in too many times.  Ha