The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

I recommend everyone carry an actual manual pump. In offshore sailing depending on category you have to have either one or two whale pumps, one operable from the cockpit.

As they say nothing bails water like a scared man and a bucket.

That too.  Have a friend that had to use one once. At the end of the day, they lost the boat, but it definitely prolonged the emergency and very much helped the overall situation. 

My Key West came with the 500 gph Rule that is standard on most small boats.  First thing I upgraded was to put in a 2k gph Rule and a float switch that would trigger about 2" higher in the bilge that the factory one.  Bilge float switches suck and I had replaced them at lease once before but a few years ago both of the switches would only work intermittently if at all.   I ended up replacing the small pump switch with a solid state Water Witch  bilge switch and the 2k pump switch with  an Ultra Safety Systems Bilge jr.       The USS switches are $$ but considered one of the best ones you can buy.  Same with the Rule 2K pump.

pulling pusw002.jpg  with a 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, blacklab said:

Not sure which was worse, being in a sinking boat or dragging the boat from Westlake to round rock in rush hour traffic 

If you haven’t had them change the impeller since you bought it, it would be a good time to knock that out. Hopefully a hose split or blew off which is what it sounds like with that much water in there and the boat still running. The couple of other things that put hot water in the bilge get really expensive really fast.

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

Had the impeller changed about a year ago and have put around 50 hours since then.

How often should I change it? I've seen anywhere from every 50 to 150 hours.

Most say every other year depending on hours, as long as it is used regularly it’s not at a significant issue of deteriorating early. I change every year when I pull the boat out of storage because I’ve had one come apart and one get stuck. They are a pain to deal with when they fail.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that or just backing the trailer into the lake but I'd rather have someone who knows what their doing do it and give a good once over over all the electrical and other systems. Also I'm fat and lazy and have a bad back and it takes a contortionist to do anything to this engine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blacklab said:

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that or just backing the trailer into the lake but I'd rather have someone who knows what their doing do it and give a good once over over all the electrical and other systems. Also I'm fat and lazy and have a bad back and it takes a contortionist to do anything to this engine.

Should be able pull the hard cover dividers on either side of the engine and it opens up the space to get around when the whole back area is opened up. I changed the starter on my first v drive without noticing those came out, life got much simpler after that.

@Ojo Rojo there is a really nice curlew and a bigger Ibis on 2cool just a smidge over your budget.  I dont think they're as easy to pole at the others you've been looking at, but I see them in Estes quite a bit and they are absolutely well made, very high end "skiffs".  @Pescado_Rojo would know more.  The Curlew is a smaller boat, of the two. 

I would be sitting and waiting right now or making lower reasonable offers, prices are going to check up with everything going on. Boat dealer I used for service on last two boats has 23 new boats sitting on the floor. I haven’t seen a new boat there in 2 years. Checked a few others regionally and it looks the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

@Ojo Rojo there is a really nice curlew and a bigger Ibis on 2cool just a smidge over your budget.  I dont think they're as easy to pole at the others you've been looking at, but I see them in Estes quite a bit and they are absolutely well made, very high end "skiffs".  @Pescado_Rojo would know more.  The Curlew is a smaller boat, of the two. 

Several East capes, beavertails, and a Hewes too in first 10 pages. 

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Curlew and Ibis aren't really polling skiffs. My cousin had a Curlew for a couple years, and they're too wide and heavy to pole. You basically stand on the platform and try to use the pole to control your drift. They're just flat bottom tunnel boats with a pointy bow. The Stilt and the Willet are their poling skiffs. 

My plan was to sell my house in POC and my current boat before buying something. I don't have to, but my wife may have something to say about it if I drop $50K or so before those other things happen.  Have someone at the house today with their contractor. Might get a contract soon...

I might drive down and test drive that Maverick. I know it's going to handle way different than the v hulls I've always driven. May take some getting used to. I have been fantasizing about being able to cruise in 8" of water though.

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Curlew and Ibis aren't really polling skiffs. My cousin had a Curlew for a couple years, and they're too wide and heavy to pole. You basically stand on the platform and try to use the pole to control your drift. They're just flat bottom tunnel boats with a pointy bow. The Stilt and the Willet are their poling skiffs. 

The stilt was the one people kept capsizing when they first came out, iirc.  I knew they weren’t true “technical skiffs” but figured at least the curlew might be ballpark. The Ibis is a larger boat.  They are very nice and run shallow af tho. 

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

The stilt was the one people kept capsizing when they first came out, iirc.  I knew they weren’t true “technical skiffs” but figured at least the curlew might be ballpark. The Ibis is a larger boat.  They are very nice and run shallow af tho. 

Correct. The New Water boats are all extremely well built, and Tim Clancy is a great guy. He's done some aluminum work on my boat that turned out real nice. 

I would be sitting and waiting right now or making lower reasonable offers, prices are going to check up with everything going on. Boat dealer I used for service on last two boats has 23 new boats sitting on the floor. I haven’t seen a new boat there in 2 years. Checked a few others regionally and it looks the same.

Agree, at least I hope. Malibu dealership won’t leave me alone, when I haven’t heard from them since before the start of the Rona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/30/2022 at 8:36 AM, blacklab said:

Had the impeller changed about a year ago and have put around 50 hours since then.

How often should I change it? I've seen anywhere from every 50 to 150 hours.

Either next spring or the spring after that, but keep a spare in the glove box.

On 8/30/2022 at 1:15 PM, blacklab said:

Shove a garden hose into the raw water line just forward of the transmission oil cooler.  Or otherwise, get a bucket, feed the bucket with a hose, and run a hose on the in-side of the raw water pump, and let the pump draw water from the bucket like it would from the lake as needed.  Skip the plunger on the stick.  They can get sucked up against the hull by the pump or fall over or whatever.  They're not the best.

Edited by dcbc

Make sure to use your rear tie downs on your trailers. Buddy slammed on the brakes on the interstate yesterday to keep from hitting someone in front of him and his new Supra didn’t stop with him. Ended up on the side of the interstate with the tell-tale broken front strap and not much left of it after it hit his truck and rolled.

• Rage+1 2

Will be joining you fellow boat crew members after a 20 year break from these floating money drainers.  Priced out a new X24 and realized how crazy they were so found a 2021 with very low hours and the right color scheme for quite a bit less.  It should be dropped off tomorrow or early next week after service. It's missing a thruster which I would have added but I can live without that.  Will get up more pics once it's "home".  

image.png.3e19a3ab32a0cbc999ef8d88441067f6.png

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I’m assuming bow thruster but I don’t know why one would be on a boat that size.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to the latest and greatest on wake boats for years.  Never heard of such a thing on a wake boat.  Given the size of the current iterations of wake boats, probably shouldn't be too surprised I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

I can see using it in spots.  Like in the marina on a windy day navigating through all the rental morons up to the gas pumps.

Those f'n pickle forks swim big time at idle speed.

Helluva good looking boat ATXracer.  So far my experience w/MasterCraft (former Nautique guy) is that they are R-E-L-I-A-B-L-E.  Love my NXT22, but I sure would like to upgrade to the size you've sprung for.

7 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Will be joining you fellow boat crew members after a 20 year break from these floating money drainers.  Priced out a new X24 and realized how crazy they were so found a 2021 with very low hours and the right color scheme for quite a bit less.  It should be dropped off tomorrow or early next week after service. It's missing a thruster which I would have added but I can live without that.  Will get up more pics once it's "home".  

image.png.3e19a3ab32a0cbc999ef8d88441067f6.png

Boat Town?

@AtxracerOf course I’m biased, but Geromi is a straight shooter and knows his shit.  If you were in his office at any point you should of seen this drone shot of him & me tied up in the middle of Canyon Lake.  I snapped it a couple of months ago.  Your’s truly throwing the Horns up..

035C0752-10B2-421E-BE6D-E244363B94D3.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Cajun said:

@AtxracerOf course I’m biased, but Geromi is a straight shooter and knows his shit.  If you were in his office at any point you should of seen this drone shot of him & me tied up in the middle of Canyon Lake.  I snapped it a couple of months ago.  Your’s truly throwing the Horns up..

035C0752-10B2-421E-BE6D-E244363B94D3.jpeg

Geromi is a really solid dude.  Lived down the street from him for almost a decade.  Dude knows the boat business very, very well.  

[mention=3050]Atxracer[/mention]Lulz.  Just shared your post w/my cousin who manages Boat Town.  Small world friendo.  Here’s what he replied…
08DE75B5-301B-4ABC-A8B9-F4C40C02E214.thumb.jpeg.680fd2160c2877deae8d9a206f938f92.jpeg

Ha, I worked for Geromi way back in the day @ Sun & Ski.. & I bet it’s a stern thruster, not a bow thruster.

Damn small world in here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a reasonable bill for that many line items.  

Maiden voyage is done and looks like one of the two best days of boat ownership is behind me.  But, I do miss being on the lake.  Have all the boat toys coming and will spend as much time on there while I can this fall.  

In re the thruster, I have driven these quite a bit so can live without it. But, it would be very nice when maneuvering in the channels of the marina where there is not a ton of room on either side when rotating it.  

Now, if any of you all know speakers, it has 2 Klipsch's on the tower and would like more up there. The Klipsch's don't seem that loud.  Any idea if I should get two more of them (which are ridiculously expensive for what they are) or remove the two I have and put four wet sounds up there?