The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

31 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I don’t even think I’d like to fish if I didn’t have music going. Trout fishing on a stream sure no music. But put me on a boat in the ocean and there better be something playing even it’s my same old tired playlist. Which if I ever get motivated will get updated soon thanks in part to this thread.

Ocean is a whole different ballgame because you're not close to other people.  Knock yourself out on the ocean, IMO.

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

Apparently, we were waaaaaay out of line Lat.  You know, playing music from the golf cart eventhough there was absolutely no one else on the course.

IT'S JUST NOT DONE!!!

I play A LOT of golf at what most would consider a pretty nice place here and just about everyone has a bluetooth speaker.  Doesn't matter young, old, low handicap, high handicap, tournament, money game, just for fun play.  We do have the rule of all the players in the group have to be ok with it and I have never seen that be a problem.  

8 hours ago, Cajun said:

I'm pretty sure he's the one that started questioning about which speakers to get to which some of our responses (especially mine) triggered our old pal Chewy.

yup, that was me and your answer was helpful.  I will end up doing 4 WetSounds because of it.  That doesn't mean I will blast it when I am right next to people but I want it to be there in the event I am in the time/place/mood to blast it.  Similar to having a car that can't do anything near what it's capable of doing on the streets.  There are still times and places where you can use it for what it was designed to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

I play A LOT of golf at what most would consider a pretty nice place here and just about everyone has a bluetooth speaker.  Doesn't matter young, old, low handicap, high handicap, tournament, money game, just for fun play.  We do have the rule of all the players in the group have to be ok with it and I have never seen that be a problem.  

Again, spot on.  Lat and I would play it if no one was around and immediately shut it off the minute we came close to anyone.  It's just not a big deal.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Don't like being told you're a prick?  Turn down your music.  I go outside to be outside, not to make everyone listen to my music.  No tunes when I hike, fish, ski, golf.  You should try it sometime.  It's nice.

No one's ever told me I'm a prick on the water.  Not once.  You're so in love with your for pretend scenarios that never happened.  It's f'n hilarious.  One might say you're our resident boat forum prick.  What, you don't like being called that?  Hmmmmmm

But, hey, you keep fucking that chicken amigo.  Poultry needs love too.

Edited by Cajun
And now we'll cue up Chewy going back to the girl who swam out where he'll conveniently leave out that she was blasting her own music. 3,2,1...

19 minutes ago, Cajun said:

No one's ever told me I'm a prick on the water.  Not once.  You're so in love with your for pretend scenarios that never happened.  It's f'n hilarious.  One might say you're our resident boat forum prick.  What, you don't like being called that?  Hmmmmmm

But, hey, you keep fucking that chicken amigo.  Poultry needs love too.

Yeah, the person who swam out 400 yards to ask you to turn down your music loved you.  I'm sure everyone else loves you, too.  Because you seem like a really cool, and totally not creepy guy.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, the person who swam out 400 yards to ask you to turn down your music loved you.  I'm sure everyone else loves you, too.  Because you seem like a really cool, and totally not creepy guy.

Thanks for proving me right.  Lmao

There was no one else except in your for pretend mind.

Edited by Cajun

17 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Yeah, about to catch the ferry back. It’s been about as perfect of a day as you can get. Beautiful over here.

We’re you just there for the day or did you stay last night?  Where’d you eat?  Avalon needs at least 24 hours to make it worth it, but glad you went

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

We’re you just there for the day or did you stay last night?  Where’d you eat?  Avalon needs at least 24 hours to make it worth it, but glad you went

Just for the day, I’m visiting my brother in LA. We rented a cart and went up to the botanical gardens, then went down and took a swim at Descanso Beach. There was a DJ blowing it up and a big ass wedding was being set up at the club there so we sat at the bar and ate lunch/watched the hot women roll in. Twas a relaxing time indeed.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, G650 said:

How does this shit keep coming back to music, its a boat thread.

It’s very educational for the future boat owners. I was not aware this was a hot button topic.  I feel like I will be a pro-speaker guy, but I also feel like I can determine when it is appropriate to scratch that itch.

14 hours ago, G650 said:

How does this shit keep coming back to music, its a boat thread.

Because wakeboard boats (of which I have one) with 10 wet sound speakers (of which I have 11) are quite possibly the most - objectively speaking - obnoxious boats on lakes today. They give the classic cigarette boat a real run for their money.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, troph said:

Because wakeboard boats (of which I have one) with 10 wet sound speakers (of which I have 11) are quite possibly the most - objectively speaking - obnoxious boats on lakes today. They give the classic cigarette boat a real run for their money.  

They're not more obnoxious on an individual basis, there are just about 10x-20x more of them on the lake at any given time.

But waverunners are still the most obnoxious of them all.  Water-roaches, I call them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, troph said:

You should try Canyon Lake.  It's nowhere near like Travis/LBJ/Lake ATX in that way.

And very few people on the shores except for a couple of spots.

29 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I forgot that's where you lived.

Carry on.

I still think regardless of lake our boats and our speaker set ups make us by design quite obnoxious. I don’t change much but I do get it. Being disrupted on flat water by 2 foot waves is pretty annoying. 

@trophI grew up on boats in 8 foot seas on the GOM.  I get it too, but it just doesn’t bother me.  The whole music thing has been beaten to death here, but if you’re not around a bunch of people let them suckers hang.  Some lakes that’s way more difficult than others, granted.

Edited by Cajun

I’m not saying we do anything different I’m simply saying I get what people are saying about our boats and they aren’t wrong.

Having sea legs has really nothing to do with it.  I’ve got mine and when a surf boat goes by too close to us I’m annoyed, though dealing with it isn’t a problem.

Btw 8 foot swells on the Gulf of Mexico means you shouldn’t really be out there. That’s just not an ordinary swell for those parts. 8-10 feet in the GOM usually means a nasty storm is close by and if winds are out of the north and you’ve got 4-6 feet it’s very uncomfortable chop. Now gentle rolling swells of 6 feet in the pacific, no big deal.

13 hours ago, troph said:

I still think regardless of lake our boats and our speaker set ups make us by design quite obnoxious. I don’t change much but I do get it. Being disrupted on flat water by 2 foot waves is pretty annoying. 

That plus the lack of common courtesy and boat/lake knowledge by the new guys rolling around in $200k+ wake boats makes me generally go with wakesurf = obnoxious. I’m 100% old guy yelling at clouds who also just never could get into wakesurfing with that thought, which I’m fine with. The old days of boats making runs on rotation, avoiding the coves while people are making runs, etc have passed by in our area where the lakes are not massive. Tubers, jet ski’s, wakesurf boats, people who anchor right in the middle of the places where people are wakeboarding, boats cutting you off or crossing your wake, etc all have annoyed me post Covid, but the first couple aren’t throwing 2+ foot wakes that people aren’t paying attention to where they go.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, troph said:

Btw 8 foot swells on the Gulf of Mexico means you shouldn’t really be out there. That’s just not an ordinary swell for those parts. 8-10 feet in the GOM usually means a nasty storm is close by and if winds are out of the north and you’ve got 4-6 feet it’s very uncomfortable chop.

It’s all in the period, as you know.  We get big loping swells out there that measure considerably more than you’d think, but have little impact. I had to watch gulf Wx daily for 15 years.  A short period going to be uncomfortable/unworkable for lots of vessels. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

It’s all in the period, as you know.  We get big loping swells out there that measure considerably more than you’d think, but have little impact. I had to watch gulf Wx daily for 15 years.  A short period going to be uncomfortable/unworkable for lots of vessels. 

I've never seen tolerable rolling 8 footers in the GOM. it's 2-3 that are gentle or choppy, none at all/flat water, or if larger 6+, it's generally stay the fuck away.  there are places where 6-8 is no big deal, GOM is not that place at least not in my experience. case in point. the GOM is fairly calm right now, go look at the wave forecast, it takes a hurricane in the gulf before the wave forecast shows 8 feet near Texas.  not interested.

3 hours ago, Brew said:

That plus the lack of common courtesy and boat/lake knowledge by the new guys rolling around in $200k+ wake boats makes me generally go with wakesurf = obnoxious. I’m 100% old guy yelling at clouds who also just never could get into wakesurfing with that thought, which I’m fine with. The old days of boats making runs on rotation, avoiding the coves while people are making runs, etc have passed by in our area where the lakes are not massive. Tubers, jet ski’s, wakesurf boats, people who anchor right in the middle of the places where people are wakeboarding, boats cutting you off or crossing your wake, etc all have annoyed me post Covid, but the first couple aren’t throwing 2+ foot wakes that people aren’t paying attention to where they go.

Seems to be the new world we live in. It’s in all aspects of life, common courtesy RIP!

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, troph said:

I've never seen tolerable rolling 8 footers in the GOM. it's 2-3 that are gentle or choppy, none at all/flat water, or if larger 6+, it's generally stay the fuck away.  there are places where 6-8 is no big deal, GOM is not that place at least not in my experience. case in point. the GOM is fairly calm right now, go look at the wave forecast, it takes a hurricane in the gulf before the wave forecast shows 8 feet near Texas.  not interested.

There are days that look flat calm but are technically big seas on 20 second+ periods.  You would think it’s “ice cream” but it’s not if you’re watching the Wx buoys. They are big seas on loooong periods, similar to the Pacific in Mexico and the NE Atlantic. I managed vessels that would be down on a 3-5 to 4-6’s with short periods (heavy lift vessels) 24/7, 365 for a decade or so.  But it could work in 8’ long period “loping swells” as the captain would call it. Subscription Wx reports (Impact, Wilkins, etc) and NOAA updates every 4 hours were constant reminders that you were never “off”, at any time.    Fully agreed the GOM is typically a washing machine, that’s definitely not a secret.  Just saying a lot of “flat” days aren’t actually flat.  Just massive, long period swells. 

2 hours ago, troph said:

It’s because rolling 8 footers  at 14 seconds or more doesn’t happen. On occasion maybe a bit before and after a tropical storm. Wave heights 99% of the time in the GOM are wind waves on top of the swell, or freaking sideways to give us that great washing machine feeling. Also people are notorious for overestimating wave heights. We didn’t take our boat in anything over 4 foot and would only do that if it was a tournament. 6 foot was absolute no-go ever. Heck we cancelled all charters if it was predicted to be over 4 foot or wind greater than about 17mph. Like fatty said it’s all about the period.

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

Also people are notorious for overestimating wave heights. We didn’t take our boat in anything over 4 foot and would only do that if it was a tournament. 6 foot was absolute no-go ever. Heck we cancelled all charters if it was predicted to be over 4 foot or wind greater than about 17mph. Like fatty said it’s all about the period.

A tight 3-5 would make our barge easily workable, but you’d have to work the anchor pattern to get some comfort. On the upper end of the chart, you were looking for 2-4’s.  4-6’s we’re pretty much borderline unless they were hitting just right. Usually couldn’t get a material barge in alongside anyhow.   You’re talking a 350x100x25’ chunk of steel and still feeling it pretty good in 4-6/5-7s. 

We kept our boat in Punta Gorda, FL for the first 3 years and have several friends still there. So far the water has left the marina which is good for boats but if it comes back with a 10+ft surge then this place is going to be wrecked. Hopefully the surge isn't as big as predicted. There's usually a few hundred boats here (Burnt Store Marina).

image.thumb.jpeg.1cfa304805c8678165920e168e2bf09c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Viking said:

We kept our boat in Punta Gorda, FL for the first 3 years and have several friends still there. So far the water has left the marina which is good for boats but if it comes back with a 10+ft surge then this place is going to be wrecked. Hopefully the surge isn't as big as predicted. There's usually a few hundred boats here (Burnt Store Marina).

image.thumb.jpeg.1cfa304805c8678165920e168e2bf09c.jpeg

Lot of really nice sailboats based out of there with the nature of where it sits. Hopefully the surge is somewhat limited with the hard right it took at Sanibel. I know a few people with boats in the canals in Punta Gorda that are worried because that area wasn’t built for a lot of water.

On 9/26/2022 at 10:21 PM, troph said:

I’m not saying we do anything different I’m simply saying I get what people are saying about our boats and they aren’t wrong.

Having sea legs has really nothing to do with it.  I’ve got mine and when a surf boat goes by too close to us I’m annoyed, though dealing with it isn’t a problem.

Btw 8 foot swells on the Gulf of Mexico means you shouldn’t really be out there. That’s just not an ordinary swell for those parts. 8-10 feet in the GOM usually means a nasty storm is close by and if winds are out of the north and you’ve got 4-6 feet it’s very uncomfortable chop. Now gentle rolling swells of 6 feet in the pacific, no big deal.

Yeah, they're wrong when 99.999% of the time they bother no one.  (I'm not talking about others, I'm talking about the ones who aren't out to be dooshes).  I'm not going to accept being lumped in with them.

As far as 8 foot swells go, I didn't wanna be out there, trust me.  Shit happens when you fish with psychos.  GOM is one of the roughest bodies of water on the planet - fyi

Edited by Cajun

8 minutes ago, Cajun said:

^^One more tidbit on GOM, I used to fish out there a lot in the Fall/Winter.  I've seen stuff a lot bigger than this.  And by "roughest" I don't mean size, it's just constantly angry...

Is this supposed to be an example of rough weather or just a lumpy gulf day?  What are we seeing here?

20 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Is this supposed to be an example of rough weather or just a lumpy gulf day?  What are we seeing here?

Just an example of 4 foot rollers.  They get much deeper and it's no different than the Pacific.  

Yeah, it ain't that rough.

I can remember heading out of the Port A jetties with 50+ footers on either side of us and not only did both boats entirely disappear when we all trough(ed), you couldn't even see the tuna towers.

10 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Looks like a guy wearing waders that will drown him if he goes over.

QFT on that.

49 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Yeah, they're wrong when 99.999% of the time they bother no one.  (I'm not talking about others, I'm talking about the ones who aren't out to be dooshes).  I'm not going to accept being lumped in with them.

As far as 8 foot swells go, I didn't wanna be out there, trust me.  Shit happens when you fish with psychos.  GOM is one of the roughest bodies of water on the planet - fyi

The swell period is what really matters with swell size.  Long period massive swells are no worry.  short period 5-7 foot seas can be a bitch and a half.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The swell period is what really matters with swell size.  Long period massive swells are no worry.  short period 5-7 foot seas can be a bitch and a half.

No argument.  Long period swells are actually soothing imo.

Image 9-28-22 at 6.50 PM.jpg

Edited by Cajun
Now, imagine being out in that in a 23 foot Mako in February. Don't do it, just imagine it. Trust me on this.

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

GOM is a bathtub. It’s why no one with half a brain goes out with swells above 4. The period matters but not there it’s always short unless the seas are calm (1-3). 

Edited by troph