The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

I see what you did there.

Almost time to put the Jupiter back in the water. Maybe Memorial Day.

20180507_181210.jpg

Those props are the same. I always figured one was a reverse pitch on twin outboards.

#saltwaterignorance

Oh, and yes I understand you can offset motors to compensate.

Those props are the same. I always figured one was a reverse pitch on twin outboards.  
#saltwaterignorance

G650 is going to blast your maritime screw skills stanco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

We have a Seadoo Wake wave runner. It’s awesome for wake skating, tubing or riding the RAD. We are on a pretty small lake - maybe 4 miles long. It’s shit for wakeboarding because it’s wide open in the ski area.

I’m on one half that size. Also works well for running back and forth from the pontoon to the house during the day and keeping the kids occupied.

On 5/6/2018 at 10:53 AM, Brew said:

For me it’s about being on the water and who I want to go out with. If I want to be by myself or just out in peace and quiet, I go fishing. If I want to take the kids or other people, I get out the wakeboards, tubes, etc. and go. It’s nice now just to get up before everyone and head out to fish/sit and then as they all start waking up and other people get on the water then the toys come out.

Yeah I get that, I'd just always rather have had another fishing boat. Like a technical skiff to compliment my more tournament style rig. Or going the other way, something I can troll the pelagics with when the bays get too hot. I've just never considered anything other than pure fishing boats.  For the last 19 years I've owned at least one boat. Maybe I'm gearing towards relaxing some now   I do own a stand up ski from college but it's currently in shambles  Maybe I'll bring it back from the dead, although they are work to ride  

Also, team tritoon. Fuck a bunch of blowboats.  Unless you are talking the jillionaire superyacht regatta types.  But carry on you bunch of middle class lake shits (am I doing it right?)

Y’all got it all wrong, it’s how she makes you feel, whether she loves you for who you are and if the two of you grow closer as you ride together.

Troph can you share some aqueous pics of your Axis with us yet?

Hate to tangent this thread, but how to value and sell an old boat (located in Arizona)? We have a Sea Ray 250 or 270 Sundancer from mid 90s, Mercruiser Bravo 3 i/o, every bell and whistle, that we've owned since new. Family grew up and moved, parents travel all the time, it hasn't seen water for probably 12 years. For the first 8 of those 12 years, my dad would hook up the hose bib and at least run the engine once a year, but now it has just sat for maybe 4 years, under a cover.

Never seen salt water, always used in freshwater reservoirs (Lie. Actually once, trailered to San Diego, then washed and flushed it and back to fresh water use.) Always kept at least covered, or in covered slip, or in a covered garage. Engine got a new freshwater impeller, but again, it's sat for 10+ years since.

What are the common references to price a boat? What has the biggest effect on value? How to sell something like this, is it worth fixing/refreshing for sale, or just sell as is at a low price? Where to list it, or what "dealers" would buy this?

6 hours ago, markstanco said:

#saltwaterignorance

You might want to look closer. 

9 minutes ago, markstanco said:

{right click, open in new tab on PC}

You are correct, didnt see it TT.

Blank+_1d7cf132bfa1d80777106b0b89321609.

Yeah, the left motor is almost always counter rotating. Except in race boats usually, which can make the right the counter motor.

Edit:Mine is setup right counter btw.

Edited by G650

9 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Hate to tangent this thread, but how to value and sell an old boat (located in Arizona)? We have a Sea Ray 250 or 270 Sundancer from mid 90s, Mercruiser Bravo 3 i/o, every bell and whistle, that we've owned since new. Family grew up and moved, parents travel all the time, it hasn't seen water for probably 12 years. For the first 8 of those 12 years, my dad would hook up the hose bib and at least run the engine once a year, but now it has just sat for maybe 4 years, under a cover.

Never seen salt water, always used in freshwater reservoirs (Lie. Actually once, trailered to San Diego, then washed and flushed it and back to fresh water use.) Always kept at least covered, or in covered slip, or in a covered garage. Engine got a new freshwater impeller, but again, it's sat for 10+ years since.

What are the common references to price a boat? What has the biggest effect on value? How to sell something like this, is it worth fixing/refreshing for sale, or just sell as is at a low price? Where to list it, or what "dealers" would buy this?

You've owned it since the mid-90's and you don't know exactly what type (250 or 270)?  I'd say the first step in valuing it is to determine which boat you have.

For the pontoon fans - they had a Bennington 30 QST with twin 300 Yamaha's on the back at the in the water boat show on lake Travis the other weekend for the special price of 178,750

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Like SB said, first figure out exactly what you've got, both the specs and then operational condition. Then you can look at comparables on the internet, like this:

http://www.boattrader.com/search-results/NewOrUsed-any/Type-any/Category-all/Zip-76513/Radius-1000/Length-21,30/Year-1990,2000/Make-sea+ray/Sort-Length:DESC

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1996-sea-ray-270-sundancer-103130904/?refSource=standard listing

On 5/8/2018 at 7:13 AM, troph said:

It goes in the water this Friday I’m told!! Taking the day off... so yes ... very soon!

Hey Troph I know you said you weren't much on trailering;  make sure the dealer's guys take the wheels off your new boat tomorrow before you go hauling up the lake

367DC67D00000578-3702704-image-a-29_1469

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2018 at 2:33 PM, Horns99 said:

For the pontoon fans - they had a Bennington 30 QST with twin 300 Yamaha's on the back at the in the water boat show on lake Travis the other weekend for the special price of 178,750

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was torn between that and the Maclaren

Anyone have experience with repairing a flex spot in an aluminum deck? It's inaccessible from underneath. It flexes and "pops" when you step on it. Scares my pet redfish away. Right behind the trolling motor too.

I have a local shop that'll weld on aluminum. I just need to know what to tell those boys to do. Weld another piece on top of it? Something else?

Anyone have experience with repairing a flex spot in an aluminum deck? It's inaccessible from underneath. It flexes and "pops" when you step on it. Scares my pet redfish away. Right behind the trolling motor too.

I have a local shop that'll weld on aluminum. I just need to know what to tell those boys to do. Weld another piece on top of it? Something else?

I don’t know much about aluminum boats, but have you got a pic of the offending area?

10 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Isn’t this what Flex Seal was made for?  

17 hours ago, troph said:

I'm so fucking excited.  11:30am tomorrow can't get here quick enough, shit might not even sleep well tonight...

Seriously, congrats.  Let us know how it goes.  Despite its not being a Cobalt, that's a very cool boat. :)

• Like 1

Seriously, congrats.  Let us know how it goes.  Despite its not being a Cobalt, that's a very cool boat.   

Thanks !!

We had a fork in the road — trade up to what my gf calls an “old man” boat - cabin cruiser or get more active with a wake surfing boat. That colbalt was an amazing starter for me and has me hooked on comfort. I’ll enjoy this one but if things go my way I’ll have my old man boat when my joints get a little more stiffened.

Colbalt is having completely redone upholstery and should be finished early next week. We had it detailed and the teak oiled and some make ready work done. I’m half inclined to keep it but won’t. It’s going to look gorgeous when it’s ready. 26 feet on lake Travis is the perfect size I think.

For now I’m stoked about the active water sports piece of this one and hope to make a ton of summer memories with my boys.

1 hour ago, troph said:

Got up twice, fell another dozen times lulzmao... will get back up again. Foot pic for hollywoodcolt... happy Friday bitches !

Looks like a great first day! Beautiful boat! Lots of space too - is it a 23'?

Looks like a great first day! Beautiful boat! Lots of space too - is it a 23'?

24 feet. Second go at it I got up 3-4 times and let go of the rope once. Still a novice but it’s gonna be a great summer !

Someone else’s turn !!

Picking up my middle class toys tomorrow and hopefully dropping them off at the lake this week.

Picture from last year. This was no weight in the boat, so the wake doesn’t show up very well. Ignore my kids in the distance on the jet ski for the sake of discussion.
c6d134d7e4048b5a4187488dfb00b820.jpg

Also going to throw in a picture of my two and their favorite activity. Usually there are four back there riding but I don’t have a picture of that.
61b2815c028fd5dda32b366470a6e824.jpg

Edited by Brew
  • Like 3

Excellent work, Brew..  I’m just chillin’ on mi barco.  Going to sail up to Ventura Harbor tomorrow morning and the fam is going to meet me there.  Have lunch at Brophy Bros and sail back.  Mother’s Day brunch up here Sunday.  No place on earth I’d rather be.

• Like 2

Excellent work, Brew..  I’m just chillin’ on mi barco.  Going to sail up to Ventura Harbor tomorrow morning and the fam is going to meet me there.  Have lunch at Brophy Bros and sail back.  Mother’s Day brunch up here Sunday.  No place on earth I’d rather be.

I, for one, take comfort in the fact that SB is out there taken ‘er easy for all us sinners.

See y’all on the water

eab251c1cb948637717ac5346e6291e6.jpg
  • Like 1

My last run to Ventura maybe ever. Moving the boat in 2 weeks to San Pedro. Hoping the close proximity to Catalina will get the fam more engaged. With both of my folks now passed, our 46 year connection to Oxnard is over. I will always keep the Nard near and dear to my heart, but regular trips to Catalina vs the once a year trips will hopefully make it worth it.

589969da9be83ccff65da0352b8120f5.jpg

Man dolphins are everywhere today

bd678f5686879931807b8c2317e0027a.jpg

• Like 4

My last run to Ventura maybe ever. Moving the boat in 2 weeks to San Pedro. Hoping the close proximity to Catalina will get the fam more engaged. With both of my folks now passed, our 46 year connection to Oxnard is over. I will always keep the Nard near and dear to my heart, but regular trips to Catalina vs the once a year trips will hopefully make it worth it.

589969da9be83ccff65da0352b8120f5.jpg

Man dolphins are everywhere today
bd678f5686879931807b8c2317e0027a.jpg

Curious dude, is it about the same cost per month in the South bay?