The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Very nice!!!

My old Nautique, ‘86 Silver Nautique
fa3a4e7758968066070a227a72cee7a4.jpg
026e81ab100c91e758b4181949ab8138.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet silver Nautique. Grew up behind a model 2001, original owners still have it. I think it’s on it’s 2nd engine & 3rd transmission, it has 1000’s of hours on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, Horns99 said:

Sweet silver Nautique. Grew up behind a model 2001, original owners still have it. I think it’s on it’s 2nd engine & 3rd transmission, it has 1000’s of hours on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m the 3rd. owner, original motor at 990 went out about 3 years ago. Re-power and we are still rolling strong. Love the 2001 wake for ski or throw some weight in it and its a pretty fun wakeboard wake.

Busted my winch strap last night trying to dry pull tight to the bow chock. Upping the new one to a 2500 lb from a 1700 lb for a 3100 lb (dry) boat. This sound about right? Was just going to get the one at academy unless there is a better option to replace today.

9 minutes ago, Yarbr said:

Busted my winch strap last night trying to dry pull tight to the bow chock. Upping the new one to a 2500 lb from a 1700 lb for a 3100 lb (dry) boat. This sound about right? Was just going to get the one at academy unless there is a better option to replace today.

You want a 5k winch for a 3k boat.

• Like 1

Valid point. To be fair I bought the boat used and the winch could be the original from 17 years ago. Also I would assume a 5000lb winch would be massive with a long ass handle. Not to mention I couldn't get one today.

19 minutes ago, Yarbr said:

Valid point. To be fair I bought the boat used and the winch could be the original from 17 years ago. Also I would assume a 5000lb winch would be massive with a long ass handle. Not to mention I couldn't get one today.

Yeah, I mean you'd probably be fine with a 2k, but rule of thumb is close to twice displacement. You never know when you are going to have a long pull to get boat out of water in a shallow situation.

Timeliness obviously a factor to. I don't think a 5k is all that rare, but I know a 3500 lb is an off the shelf item. You can get a 20k all day long  here.

Edit: The ratings come a lot from the straps or wire just fyi, many of the bodies are the same.

Edited by G650

2 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

What, you dont use the brake check method? What the fuck is a winch???

I tried, that motherfucker isn't budging. Still 6 inches from the bow post, and it's driving me crazy.

I ended up with a 2000 lb, the 2500 was too beaucoup.

6 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

What, you dont use the brake check method? What the fuck is a winch???

Didn't have the family with me on the haul back to storage tonight and solved my problem. Took a few brake checks, but it worked.  Smiley face or whatever the rep is now to you sir.

Edited by Yarbr

11 hours ago, G650 said:

You want a 5k winch for a 3k boat.

Recreational boating is a 2:1 (loaded weight to capacity) load ratio in most cases so a 3k pound boat would be more than fine with a 2,500 pound winch. 3:1 isn’t that uncommon either. That is assuming you aren’t hauling it all the way up the bunks onto the trailer or steep inclines where 1:1 makes more sense.

Edited by Brew

Edit: I'll give a serious answer. Bunk friction is way more than displacement. If you are ever in a situation where you have to winch on the trailer, you better have a real winch. I'm sure you can get 10 morons over on the clown car that is the Hull Truth to tell you differently, but Yarbr just broke a winch strap trying to go three inches, much less 20 feet.

Edited by G650

9 hours ago, Yarbr said:

Didn't have the family with me on the haul back to storage tonight and solved my problem. Took a few brake checks, but it worked.  Smiley face or whatever the rep is now to you sir.

I give you trophy rep.

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Yarbr just broke a winch strap trying to go three inches

You should see what he did to your mom...

But honestly, I do a half and half on the motor / winch strap when trailering.  Wife's got the trailering part down, but with all the assholes wake-surfing right by the ramp, I have her pull it in just enough to get the boat on the bunks without it flopping around, then hook it on, pull it to center, then tell her to goose it with the lower unit almost all the way trimmed up.  A few cranks, and it's perfect.  Doesn't take a ton of muscle, either.  Hope our next boat has the guides at the end of the trailer to help keep 'er centered, but not overly worried.

2 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

But honestly, I do a half and half on the motor / winch strap when trailering.  Wife's got the trailering part down, but with all the assholes wake-surfing right by the ramp, I have her pull it in just enough to get the boat on the bunks without it flopping around, then hook it on, pull it to center, then tell her to goose it with the lower unit almost all the way trimmed up.  A few cranks, and it's perfect.  Doesn't take a ton of muscle, either.  Hope our next boat has the guides at the end of the trailer to help keep 'er centered, but not overly worried.

It's the ideal way for sure. Can be a fun ride with two or three 300 outboard as well. It's nothing...nothing...nothing... holy shit stop!

1 hour ago, PvilleStang said:

I always let one of the kids or my wife pull the boat on the trailer.  They drop me off to get the truck then pull back out and wait away from the ramp.  By the time I've got the trailer backed in and hop out of the truck, they are 50' away, idleing right toward the trailer.  Once it hits the bunks a little goose on the throttle to slide it up a couple of feet and I attach the strap and winch the last 2 or 3 feet.   they will kill and trim the motor and we are off in about a minute and a half.

I figure that its hard to sink a boat while just idleing around and the worst that could happen is a scuffed rub rail or maybe a little scratch on the gel coat.  I would much rather this happen than a jackknifed trailer or submerged truck.

5 minutes ago, davidg said:

I figure that its hard to sink a boat while just idleing around and the worst that could happen is a scuffed rub rail or maybe a little scratch on the gel coat.  I would much rather this happen than a jackknifed trailer or submerged truck.

My unspoken thoughts, exactly.  Much easier to teach someone how to get a boat between the fenders on the trailer than to teach someone to back up a trailer in a stressful situation.  Especially when we have assholes that try to part right next to you in angled parking and other vehicles parked directly behind the trailer, doesn't leave you much room to swing the trailer and maneuver your tow rig without putting something in danger.  Here's a graphic of what shit looks like typically (not quite to scale on the vehicles, but close)

image.png

3 hours ago, davidg said:

I always let one of the kids or my wife pull the boat on the trailer.  They drop me off to get the truck then pull back out and wait away from the ramp.  By the time I've got the trailer backed in and hop out of the truck, they are 50' away, idling right toward the trailer.  Once it hits the bunks a little goose on the throttle to slide it up a couple of feet and I attach the strap and winch the last 2 or 3 feet.   they will kill and trim the motor and we are off in about a minute and a half.

This is definitely my preferred method. And reverse it for launching; everything and everybody but me in the boat, plug in, switches on, ready to start before we back onto the ramp. I back the boat down the ramp, unstrap, wife backs boat off trailer and waits for me away from the courtesy dock, pulls up when I'm back from parking the truck. On and off the boat ramp in 2 mins or less. If the trailer parking area is empty and I know she won't have a problem pulling into an easy spot with the truck/trailer, sometimes she parks the truck and I use the time idling the boat to fill ballast bags.

I can't stand folks that back their boat onto the ramp (especially during busy times) and then have a 5 minute fire drill loading ice chests, boards, bags, etc. onto the boat. We saw some folks doing that shit in a late model Wakesetter last weekend, which solicited a nice eyeroll and commentary from my wife. Now that I think about it, my wife talking shit about other folk's boating techniques is kind of a turn-on. So maybe I like folks clowning around on the boat ramp? Deep thoughts...

Edited by 686

43 minutes ago, 686 said:

Deep thoughts...

It’s funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating.

• Like 2

If its a small two lane ramp and you are dicking around hogging the center, I will back my boat and truck down close enough that you can't walk between the vehicles and launch before you realize whats happening.  I  have zero tolerance for lollygagging at the boat ramp and my wife and kids have picked up that trait too.   We've had lots of laughs at the boat ramp at other peoples expense. 

8 minutes ago, davidg said:

If its a small two lane ramp and you are dicking around hogging the center, I will back my boat and truck down close enough that you can't walk between the vehicles and launch before you realize whats happening.

See, I go the other way here. If somebody is taking their half out of the middle, I pull down to where they know I'm waiting for them to GTFO, and then I just sit there with my truck idling (kinda loud diesel) as to hopefully add to their stress level/shame a little. Usually it does, as I can detect a quickened pace and more tense communications among their crew. You can almost hear the Yakety Sax...

I usually do our load-in up at the gas station while filling up.  Throw the cooler in the boat, life jackets, snacks, put the plug in, etc.  Usually, I'll pull up in the rigging area and wait for the slow mofos on the ramp.  Get out, sit on the back of the trailer, and stare 'em down...

On 5/15/2018 at 3:03 PM, PvilleStang said:

I usually do our load-in up at the gas station while filling up.  Throw the cooler in the boat, life jackets, snacks, put the plug in, etc.  Usually, I'll pull up in the rigging area and wait for the slow mofos on the ramp.  Get out, sit on the back of the trailer, and stare 'em down...

I do the same, typical time from pulling into ramp to floating off idling is probably less than 2 mins. Plugs in at gas station or house. Everything but the rods in the boat, those go in before I get near the ramp. Can’t stand bad ramp etiquette. 

I typically load the cooler and dry bags in at my storage or at the gas station.  I load the family and do the other rigging  (plug, straps, etc.) in the rigging area, never ever on the ramp itself.  People that do their rigging on the ramp deserve a special place in hell.  Not really, it's not that big of a deal, but it's certainly inconsiderate.

I back the trailer, wife starts the boat and takes off, that  all takes less than a minute.  I park and she swings by and picks me up, as far from the ramps as the facility allows.  It's tough for me to understand people that won't/can't do it quickly, but then again, in general people are really, really dumb, so...

If I am trailering the boat, everything gets done before getting on the ramp. Back it in, unhook the bow strap, roll it off, and my wife parks the truck. Putting it on the trailer I have to back the trailer and pull the boat around, but there is virtually never anyone on the ramps when we are coming in.  With an inboard she has never gotten the hang of controlling it and backing the trailer is a nonstarter. I’m hoping to teach my oldest because my wife is a lost cause.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanrahan said:

I know nothing about boats. My FIL got this rig for his lake house. Is this a ski boat? Good? Bad?

3aecded2e81622662aea1dc6f47e435b.jpg

Is that a new R3 Surf? I can’t 100% tell with the cover and from the distance. Cobalt makes an excellent boat that holds it’s value, but that’s a newer line that I don’t know anyone that has been on one. I wouldn’t call the larger series of Cobalt’s ski boats really, but they are excellent boats.

This opinion may not be G650 approved.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brew said:

Think you’re right.

No docking lights and forward drive was the reason for my guess.

Hanrahan, Ask your FIL why he didn't nut up and get the R7.

Edited by Yarbr
  • Like 1