Roster Management in the era of the Portal and NIL

No, at CTJ, this is not a backhanded way of saying I'm worried about the numbers.  I'm not. I never have been.  This is a discussion for how you think rosters will be managed going forward, both by the Longhorns, and if you think that there is any room for different teams to play it different ways.  I think a bunch of questions have to be answered throughout college football and every program might have different answers and that will obviously affect how they manage their rosters.

1) Will your school be a place where everyone on the football team is paid- or is that reserved for the stars?

2) if everyone is paid- what's the baseline minimum for a guy that plays a position that plays (non special teams types)?

3) How many portal players are you planning on bringing in a year- what  kind of positions do you think is best to count on the portal to give you every year?

4) How many guys are you comfortable with running off every year?  How long a rope do they have before you tell them they need to get the hell out?

5) When do you want to take guys from other schools as an ideal?  After 1 year- when it will exhaust their any time you can free transfer shot?  After the 3rd or 4th year- when they are a 1 year solution to a gaping need?  Or looking to play at a big school and get seen for NFL type purposes?

6) How are you planning on managing your salary cap?  Assuming NIL isn't unlimited as it shakes out (I think it's not)- even boosters have their limits and assuming nobody actually cares about doing it the way it was supposed to be done- (which is a deal like what Bijan did with his car dealership) and the NCAA can't or won't enforce what sure looks like pay for play at a lot of places that has little to nothing to do with NIL as it was thought up?

7) will anyone take less than 85 ( like considerably less) so that they have a smaller roster, higher paid, more practice time and just ignore the developmental guys/bread that has coasted at a lot of places waiting for the light to turn on when you know you can fill holes in college free agency?

8.) Will the NIL money be pretty even at most schools from year to year- or will we see boosters reaching deep when they think there's a chance to win the conference, get in the playoffs etc and will you see teams take turns blowing the lid off of it when they see the stars in alignment?

9) what will be the typical allocation of High School recruits and guys from the portal?

10) I don't have a 10 but it seems bizarre to leave a list at 9, so here. 

What have I missed in consideration for how programs might ask questions about how to manage their roster going forward?  I guess you might also talk about, if you want, sports other than football and what that looks like in your mind. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

1) Will your school be a place where everyone on the football team is paid- or is that reserved for the stars? My school is Texas. My vote is pay them all.

2) if everyone is paid- what's the baseline minimum for a guy that plays a position that plays (non special teams types)? $50,000.00 - even for non-starters. Hell, even for PWOs.

3) How many portal players are you planning on bringing in a year- what  kind of positions do you think is best to count on the portal to give you every year? Who knows? Its depends on how your roster works out. Probably WR will be the "easiest" position to fill year-after-year because good WRs seem to be abundant.

4) How many guys are you comfortable with running off every year?  Its depends on how your roster works out, but as many as it takes to remain in NC contention. Just don't be shy: Trap-door stragglers (which is heartless, but then again, win.)  How long a rope do they have before you tell them they need to get the hell out? That's a coaching question and the answer depends on when the coaches "lose confidence".  To repeat: Trap-door stragglers.

5) When do you want to take guys from other schools as an ideal?  After 1 year- when it will exhaust their any time you can free transfer shot?  After the 3rd or 4th year- when they are a 1 year solution to a gaping need?  Or looking to play at a big school and get seen for NFL type purposes? Whenever. Its depends on how your roster works out. But yeah, ideally, yeah, if the guy is a stud, the longer the time-frame you have to keep a stud player, the better, naturally.

6) How are you planning on managing your salary cap? I hope there is no cap. We're Texas. We need to pay as much or more than anybody else. Assuming NIL isn't unlimited as it shakes out (I think it's not)- even boosters have their limits and assuming nobody actually cares about doing it the way it was supposed to be done- (which is a deal like what Bijan did with his car dealership) and the NCAA can't or won't enforce what sure looks like pay for play at a lot of places that has little to nothing to do with NIL as it was thought up? Huh? What are you saying, lol? If you mean, pay like aggy is rumored to be paying, and if the "aggy way" is not enforced, then I say, "do it". Isn't this why we're joining the SEC? To win?

7) Will anyone take less than 85 ( like considerably less) so that they have a smaller roster, higher paid, more practice time and just ignore the developmental guys/bread that has coasted at a lot of places waiting for the light to turn on when you know you can fill holes in college free agency? No. 85 is already thin. The question is can we sign up more than 85? I like 95 to 105.

8.) Will the NIL money be pretty even at most schools from year to year- or will we see boosters reaching deep when they think there's a chance to win the conference, get in the playoffs etc and will you see teams take turns blowing the lid off of it when they see the stars in alignment? NIL will not be "fair". The SEC will lead the way in $, with, hopefully, Texas leading the way in the SEC. The remaining G3 (and lower) will become "portal leagues" for the SEC (and for some in the B1G, like tOSU). The SEC will backfill the G3 some, too. Some SEC guys will wonder if they will make it in the SEC, become antsy, and they will portal to the B12, AAC, etc., but I doubt the quality of the portal players out of the SEC is equal to the quality coming in. Many top dog studs in those G3 (and lower) types of leagues will want to portal to the "big league" - the SEC (and some B1G schools). They will perceive that playing in the SEC will give them a better chance of making it to the NFL, so the talent flow will largely be into the SEC, and, hopefully, to Texas.

9) What will be the typical allocation of High School recruits and guys from the portal? This will be interesting. The new way of recruiting. I'll venture a guess of 65% HS - 35% portal? Total guess.

10) I don't have a 10 but it seems bizarre to leave a list at 9, so here. 10 is a number of affinity since we have 10 fingers, we count in base 10, etc., but the ancient Sumerians were partial to 60 (but also, oddly, based on 10 fingers). Whole 'nother thing, not NIL related, lol.