Texas has won the 2021-2022 Directors Cup

GreenspointTexas

4 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Bottom line I find it highly unlikely Texas adds any sports any time in the near future. 

To address the main point of the thread, I think it’s beyond awesome that after a run that spans the Paleozoic Era, Stanford’s streak of winning this thing has been broken twice by Texas. I don’t understand the mentality of immediately shifting to our shittiness in football and men’s basketball (obviously not as important) to poo-poo the accomplishment. My feeling is if they keep score, I’d like Texas to be the best, or at least aspire to it, or don’t bother fielding a team. We’re all beyond frustrated at the results of football over the years. Virtue signaling about how oh so upset you are about football compared to everyone else by by vomiting all over this thread makes no sense, and doesn’t make you a superior football fan. 

The other point is being good in the other sports helps football. 

The reason Texas has a great chance of landing Akana is because his sister wanted to play for a great volleyball program. Brenen Thompson might have picked Texas regardless but Floreal is definitely helping recruit football players because of the success he's having in track and field. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

33 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The other point is being good in the other sports helps football. 

The reason Texas has a great chance of landing Akana is because his sister wanted to play for a great volleyball program. Brenen Thompson might have picked Texas regardless but Floreal is definitely helping recruit football players because of the success he's having in track and field. 

You point out an exception, not a general rule. Football is the thing that makes everything go. Texas is just lucky enough the program generates money in football while being shitty. If it wasn’t for the money our football program brings in then the other smaller non revenue sports would suffer. I’d wager if our football team was better our other sports would be better than currently as well. 

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You point out an exception, not a general rule. Football is the thing that makes everything go. Texas is just lucky enough the program generates money in football while being shitty. If it wasn’t for the money our football program brings in then the other smaller non revenue sports would suffer. I’d wager if our football team was better our other sports would be better than currently as well. 

This doesn't disprove anything I said. 

Having successful programs across the board is a good thing for all the programs. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This doesn't disprove anything I said. 

Having successful programs across the board is a good thing for all the programs. 

so you prefer director cup titles over football titles? Or would you prefer multiple national titles in all sports over football or football national titles at the expense of rare or few national titles in other sports?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Or would you prefer multiple national titles in all sports over football or football national titles at the expense of rare or few national titles in other sports?

Since you edited and added this I will respond. 

These either/or thought processes are stupid. I want to win in football and win in all the other sports. I don't know why you continue to make these either/or arguments as if winning in the non-revenue sports means you have to make sacrifices in football.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Since you edited and added this I will respond. 

These either/or thought processes are stupid. I want to win in football and win in all the other sports. I don't know why you continue to make these either/or arguments as if winning in the non-revenue sports means you have to make sacrifices in football.

because I'm basing my opinion on facts of the directors cup.

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Another moronic argument from you.

1 school has been winning Director's Cup titles (Stanford). Imagine thinking 1 school is a large enough sample to conclude that because you win the Director's Cup that means you can't win in football. 

Jesus, are you really this stupid? 

2 schools, both never won a title in football while winning a directors cup.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Schools like Ohio State, Florida, and LSU routinely finish ranked high in the Director's Cup with National Titles in football. 

This is a really stupid fucking argument but it is you. 

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah but they have never won one, further proving my point.

Congrats on proving Stanford has never won a national title in football the same year they won the Director's cup. 

If the non-revenue sports had an impact on winning in football than schools like LSU, Florida, and Ohio State wouldn't have national titles in football since they are consistently successful across the board in most sports. 

Matter of fact, Texas even disproves your argument. Back when they won the national title in football they were also very successful in the Director's Cup. You are not good at this at all and a complete moron. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

so you prefer director cup titles over football titles? Or would you prefer multiple national titles in all sports over football or football national titles at the expense of rare or few national titles in other sports?

Cat Internet GIF

• Haha 2

On 6/3/2022 at 6:41 PM, ATexanAbroad said:

😘😘 It's easy to hate when youre a blocked up lonely little angry man. Winning at non revenue sports is only cool if you are winning revenue sports. We are a laughing joke because we cant compete on the big stage. We dont compete on the big stage because we have made a series of bad hires and our donors are above paying players. Many of the people that are oh so happy for our great little rowers and so proud of our little golfers are the same people who turn their to playing the game. We just want good kids who are good at sports. This isnt hard, youre just a pussy. 

NIL might change this. Until we win we are a joke for good reason. Having a bunch of non revenue sports doesnt impress anyone except yall. 

What the fuck is this? Speak english you dumb mother fucker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, jeevsie said:

I for one am very happy to win consecutive Director's Cups.

This thread.......Peak Surly.

Well pretty much everyone is happy, except BO&W. That bro is internally angry about something personal to be that upset about football. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Well pretty much everyone is happy, except BO&W. That bro is internally angry about something personal to be that upset about football. 

Well, I get that part. I just don’t understand why someone can’t be angry about football and also be thrilled Texas is winning in other sports. Is it the same as winning in football? Absolutely not. My greatest moment as a sports fan was the 2005 national championship, never to be equaled. I knew in that moment that will always be my favorite moment as a sports fan in my lifetime, no matter how long I live. 

I also know my worst period as a sports fan has been the football program from 1984 to 1997, and now 2010 to 2021, with the outlier of the Sugar Bowl win in 2018. Even the 1990 Shock the Nation tour was punctuated by that miserable game in the Cotton Bowl. The three consecutive conference wins, including James Brown limping to victory against the Aggies and Roll Left, were fine moments, but not something to hang your hat on when you grew up expecting Texas dominance, especially with the way the seasons ended. 

Even 2018 was empty given it looked like it was a good season to build upon, but turned out the foundation was made of sand. 

There’s a lot of bitterness to go around. I’m not alone. For those of you who have more mental balance, good for you. It’s absolutely asinine that Texas can be this bad in football. It boggles the mind. 

What also boggles the mind is an inability to be excited at our program’s successes, or somehow think the cause of football’s failures are linked to non revenue sports’ excellence. No, they just keep hiring shitty coaches. That’s the issue. It’s not complicated. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

There’s a lot of bitterness to go around. I’m not alone. For those of you who have more mental balance, good for you. It’s absolutely asinine that Texas can be this bad in football. It boggles the mind.

Moldovan-Women.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

What also boggles the mind is an inability to be excited at our program’s successes, or somehow think the cause of football’s failures are linked to non revenue sports’ excellence. No, they just keep hiring shitty coaches. That’s the issue. It’s not complicated. 

Having an elite rowing or women's tennis program or men's golf program or baseball program does not somehow make our football team suck.  I don't understand this, because 2003-2006, we were also winning titles in baseball, track, in the Women's College World Series, Final Fours for the men and women's basketball programs, etc. 

Not firing Mack sooner and then hiring Charlie Strong, Tom Herman and Steve Sarkisian back to back to back made it suck.   

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Nah the people who make our program suck are the ones who turn hiring a football coach into a banana republic.

I don't understand what that means. I will say the hiring process for every coach other than Mack Brown has been wonky since Darrell Royal retired, but I don't know how that translates into turning it into a banana republic.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/2/2022 at 12:04 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Kind of a dumb thing to say, since by definition that stretch would have to include 2005 and 2009. 

2009  13-1

2008  12-1

2007  10-3

2006  10-3

2005  13-0

OK, so 10-3 is the bar.  Let's keep looking back.

2004  11-1

2003  10-3

2002  11-2

2001  11-2

2000  9-3

OK, we won't count 2000.  So it's 9 years, not 5.  Oh, look 1995 (10-2).  Oh look, 1990 (10-2).

"Pure mediocrity at best since 1983."

It astounds me how some Texas fans are programmed to understate our own fucking history.

We had the best winning % in college football in the decade of the 2000s.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/2/2022 at 3:44 PM, ATexanAbroad said:

The same people that are really excited for our chess team, are the same people who want good kids to play for mack brown, are the same people for which Texas has a soft as culture. Nobody cares about golf and rowing. Win at football. 

We haven't won a chess title since the great year of 1963.

That's a drought since UTD, UTRGV and Texas Tech have all won chess titles since then.

On 6/4/2022 at 12:06 PM, Js1 said:

Texas wants to be elite in what they offer and not dilute that success by adding more sports. 

I think we could be successful at men's soccer and women's gymnastics.  Those two and wrestling are about the only sports popular at the HS level that we don't offer.

On 6/5/2022 at 3:40 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

Congrats on proving Stanford has never won a national title in football the same year they won the Director's cup. 

If the non-revenue sports had an impact on winning in football than schools like LSU, Florida, and Ohio State wouldn't have national titles in football since they are consistently successful across the board in most sports. 

Matter of fact, Texas even disproves your argument. Back when they won the national title in football they were also very successful in the Director's Cup. You are not good at this at all and a complete moron. 

Yeah.  Stanford had won 25 years in a row.

On 6/5/2022 at 3:50 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

The year Texas won the national title in football they finished 3rd in the Director's Cup. 

The idea that being successful in the Director's Cup has any impact on football is such a stupid argument but perfectly in line with BO&W's posting history. 

So you are saying BO&W's posting history is even worse than Charlie Strong's coaching history?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bullet said:

So you are saying BO&W's posting history is even worse than Charlie Strong's coaching history?

It's such an incoherent argument. 

How in the fuck does being good in sports like rowing and women's tennis negatively impact football? Unless he's one of those morons that thinks this promotes a "soft culture" or some other bullshit.

12 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's such an incoherent argument. 

How in the fuck does being good in sports like rowing and women's tennis negatively impact football? Unless he's one of those morons that thinks this promotes a "soft culture" or some other bullshit.

Winning championships = soft, losing culture in Bellmont

Just don’t ask what the culture was before CDC hired these coaches who actually win shit. (It was “watch Elliot win and be in contention and everyone else get paid by Dodds and Plonsky to suck”)

Edited by Js1

On 6/5/2022 at 2:15 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

On 6/5/2022 at 2:20 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

schools that win director cups don't win titles in football, that's a 100% fact.

On 6/5/2022 at 2:21 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

On 6/5/2022 at 2:24 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

2 schools, both never won a title in football while winning a directors cup.

11 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Y'all out here really hating on facts smh.

I clearly stated I'd take some 2nd-5th place directors cup finishes if it meant winning titles.

CircularAncientEnglishpointer-size_restr 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I clearly stated I'd take some 2nd-5th place directors cup finishes if it meant winning titles.

Do you really think it would mean that?  

Is there a cause and effect relationship here that only you can see but are unable to explain to anyone?

Nobody here is accusing you of being an idiot because of what you would or would not trade in some alternate imaginary world. We think you’re an idiot because you keep insisting that two unrelated things are in fact dependent on each other. 

Your argument is akin to Cliff Clavin’s final answer on Jeopardy, only less witty. 

56 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

With the women in the wcws final, im pretty sure we are having the best athletics year ever at Texas. In fact, what is the highest point total in directors cup history and can we break it/do we now own it?

WHO CARES FOOTBALL SUCKS /s

But for real, I cannot remember anything like this ever. 

4 championships, 3 runner up finishes, 3 other top 7 finishes in WBB (#6), Men's Tennis (#7) and Volleyball (#5) and 2 other top 15 finishes (Women's Golf #13 and Men's CC #14).  Can add up to 4 more titles this month (at a minimum, 1 more runner up finish in softball). 

Still have:

Baseball - Super Regional (top 16 finish at least)
Softball - Champs or 2nd place
Men's Outdoor T&F - a favorite to win
Women's Outdoor T&F - a favorite to win

• Hook 'Em 2

Stanford has elite Olympic sports and hasn't won a modern football championship and that means you can't have the Director's Cup and a good football team (plz ignore the Cardinal's 4 top-10 finishes in the 2010s) at the same time. It's science.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1