Disco... Best intro or hook

Chico_SA

8 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

I feel like that track is the exact moment that disco morphed into EDM.  You really hear and feel it in the synth bass and the hi hat upbeats.  

Good thread, btw.  

I think it's unfair and perverse that disco - mostly made by some really talented musicians with great hooks/vocals/percussionists/string arrangements/etc. - had a 5- or 6- year run, and now the entire genre is considered a punchline.  And EDM, which I would argue requires FAR less skill and imagination (dragging loops into software platforms) is going strong after four decades.  

It is Giorgio!    Yeah, I've always been a fan of the genre and ignore the haters.  I do like EDM as well.  I was listening to Chic Pandora today and was going to come back to post the Sister Sledge song you followed up with. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

If you’re 20-30 years old now, it would be hard to get your head around how totally pervasive disco culture became.  The clothes, the lights, disco balls, the dancing shows on TV - it was unavoidable.  Radio stations changed formats or went bankrupt. 

The Stones made a disco song, Barbara Streisand released an (awful) disco record, KISS made a disco song, Sesame Street had disco music, there were disco variety shows on network TV…

If you walked through a department store, the clothes were everywhere- the clothes were strongly related to the music.  

And unlike today, when things go viral and are gone in a week, the disco stuff went on for *years*.

The BeeGees documentary has a really great segment where the scene goes back and forth between the band on jumbo jets and limousines and fighting through throngs of fans - versus the “blow up disco” promotion in Chicago that turned into a riot.  The band had no idea how sudden and powerful the backlash against them was about to be.  

The Grateful Dead even made a disco album.  This is the title track and has a fantastic base line.

• Like 1

Nah, neither of those tracks by Maynard Ferguson or Chuck Mangione are disco.  Those are more in the realm of jazzy pop & Latin music.

Now, if you want Maynard + disco, look no farther than his biggest hit.  Again, it's the tell-tale 4-on-the-floor kick drum + bass groove that give it away:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a disco tune that doesn't feature a 4-on-the-floor kick drum beat, so I guess that might be a start.

yeah, this is the defining point for pure disco IMO.  My Gap band Burn Rubber submission is more R&B/Funk but I love the Gap Band so fuck it.

This is great intro and hook.  Imma say its disco

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Hate said:

The Grateful Dead even made a disco album.  This is the title track and has a fantastic base line.

I’m repping you because I came here to post Shakedown Street but you beat me to it. Shakedown Street the song is “Disco Dead.” Shakedown Street the album is not disco  Have you listened to the album? There’s not another song on it that qualifies as disco.

Two things about disco. The name comes from the playing of records, aka discs, at dance clubs instead of having live bands perform. The other thing is that it’s defined as being played in 4/4 time with the accents coming on the 2 and the 4. It’s mostly made for dancing in discotheques. (Where the music is played by disc jockeys, aka DJ’s,)

I’m down with the motto that disco sucks. But some of it was good. The Saturday Night Fever album is a classic. The thing about music is that anytime you try to categorize it, it gets fuzzy around the edges  

Here’s the version of Shakedown the Dead played to open up the 2nd set at my first show. First time I ever heard the song.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:57 AM, jimmyjazz said:

For best intro, I'd go "Stayin' Alive", particularly the guitar hook:

I gained an appreciation of how good the BeeGees were after watching the HBO doc.  

That had some great songs prior to their jump into disco.  

But getting back to this topic, you are correct, Sir!  At the top of the list for me.  

An aside... you know you are getting old when you prefer disco to this generation of pop music.

9 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

Best TV theme song ever, IMO (I think we had a thread on that).  It's got everything... grooving drums and bass, funk guitars, wah pedals, horns... then you get those Hollywood strings playing 16th-notes at 1:12(!)...holy smokes... all written, arranged, performed, and engineered by pros (to a tape machine).   

They just don't make 'em like that anymore.  

Screen-Shot-2022-06-03-at-7-02-31-PM.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Goredho said:

I really like that seam when funk and R&B was transitioning to disco.  Some insane grooves from that period.  Some favorites off the top of my head:

Bingo. Funk produced some of the best music ever. Some of the disco hits listed in this thread were actually funk. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, tigol said:

Eat shit.  

Just played this at 1.25x speed.

It’s a little too fast 1.15x would probably be better, but speeding it up turns it into a danceable disco tune vs a song that you endure at normal speed. 

4 on the floor, Snare on beats 2 & 4, and a heavy bass line…

Never noticed it, but it’s just a slow-as-shit disco song with downer lyrics sung by someone with a limited range. Crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, tigol said:

Eat shit.  

Also a great band. And a great song. Chrissie Hynde is from Akron. That’s also not disco. Was that supposed to be an insult? If so then you missed your mark. Don’t be so defensive.

Another great R&B band from Ohio was the Isley Brothers from Cincinnati. They didn’t play disco either so I won’t post any of their songs in the disco thread.

”Eat shit?” Seriously? Come on, man. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

On 6/3/2022 at 8:25 AM, Goredho said:

I really like that seam when funk and R&B was transitioning to disco.  Some insane grooves from that period.  Some favorites off the top of my head:

Pick Up The Pieces brings back childhood memories of watching the Joe B Hall(RIP) coaches show, it was used as the show's intro.

• Hook 'Em 1