Ivan Melendez: Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Year

texifornia

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Two more 3-run bombs should do it. 

How about one versus ND and one versus OU/aggy? 

I figured 100 rbi had to be close to a CBB record.  Nope, not even close.  Inky with 143 in 1985, but maybe more impressive is Berkman's 134 in just 63 games in 1997.  2.13 RBI per game, compared with Ivan's 1.45.

1 minute ago, ryskey said:

I figured 100 rbi had to be close to a CBB record.  Nope, not even close.  Inky with 143 in 1985, but maybe more impressive is Berkman's 134 in just 63 games in 1997.  2.13 RBI per game, compared with Ivan's 1.45.

Wouldn’t even be a school record. 

but what if limited to bbcor era?

Actually was able to dig into the archived stats since 2011 on the NCAA website.  Ivan already has the most RBIs in a season in the BBCOR era

2011 91
2012 86
2013 91
2014 75
2015 90
2016 91
2017 84
2018 84
2019 92
2020             X
2021 72
2022 94
  • Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i was regularly nominated for the dick howitzer trophy in undergrad

I always tried for the Dick N. Cider.

mostly ended up with the consolation, Dick Palmer trophy.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ryskey said:

This Berkman guy sounds pretty good.

is that the same guy who’s the coach of HBU?

• Like 1

So where does everything think Ivan gets drafted? I don’t think he falls lower than the 2nd. Also got the feeling he can play 3rd and right if need be. And of course DH. Would love to see him have a beast of a career. 

mlb is filling up with horns. Kody, Dillon Peters, Knebal, Curtiss, Belt, Milner and Payton. Ivan, Madden, Hansen and Witt will be there soon. Faltine, Hodo and Silas may be able to make it to the show.  No idea what kind of numbers Hamilton, Kingham and Shugart are putting up, but wouldn’t be surprised to see them in the show at some point. Going to Omaha and have the mlb and minors littered with horns. The way it’s supposed to be 

Edited by Fletch

So where does everything think Ivan gets drafted? I don’t think he falls lower than the 2nd. Also got the feeling he can play 3rd and right if need be. And of course DH. Would love to see him have a beast of a career. 

mlb is filling up with horns. Kody, Dillon Peters, Knebal, Curtiss, Belt, Milner and Payton. Ivan, Madden, Hansen and Witt will be there soon. Faltine, Hodo and Silas may be able to make it to the show.  No idea what kind of numbers Hamilton, Kingham and Shugart are putting up, but wouldn’t be surprised to see them in the show at some point. Going to Omaha and have the mlb and minors littered with horns. The way it’s supposed to be 

He’s not even in the top 100 draft prospects according to most sites. MLB draft is not like nfl. I don’t even try to guess where someone like Ivan might go. Here’s the mlb.com draft stock write up.

couting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 60 | Run: 30 | Arm: 50 | Field: 40 | Overall: 45

“Melendez starred for two seasons at Odessa (Texas) JC before transferring to Texas in 2021, when he led the Longhorns with 13 homers, including a ninth-inning game winner off eventual national champion Mississippi State at the College World Series. Scouts viewed him as a one-tool player and his bonus expectations didn't line up with their evaluations, so he dropped to the Marlins in the 16th round and declined to sign. He has been phenomenal as a fourth-year junior and has a chance to win the NCAA Division I triple crown and lead in all three slash stats after finishing the regular season at .421/.531/.941 with 28 homers and 85 RBI in 54 games.

With the strength in his 6-foot-3, 225-pound frame and an uphill right-handed swing, Melendez is geared to drive balls in the air and produces plus-plus raw power that plays from foul pole to foul pole. He doesn't have standout bat speed, so there are some concerns about how he'll handle quality velocity against more advanced pitchers. He's doing a much better job of controlling the strike zone this spring and has improved his ability to do damage against breaking balls and changeups.

Melendez still doesn't offer much value beyond his bat and a righty-hitting first baseman is the least attractive profile for pro teams. He's a well below-average runner with limited range and an average arm. He's an adequate defender at first base and his only other alternative is DH.”

4 minutes ago, 4th_and_18 said:

He’s not even in the top 100 draft prospects according to most sites. MLB draft is not like nfl. I don’t even try to guess where someone like Ivan might go. Here’s the mlb.com draft stock write up.

couting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 60 | Run: 30 | Arm: 50 | Field: 40 | Overall: 45

“Melendez starred for two seasons at Odessa (Texas) JC before transferring to Texas in 2021, when he led the Longhorns with 13 homers, including a ninth-inning game winner off eventual national champion Mississippi State at the College World Series. Scouts viewed him as a one-tool player and his bonus expectations didn't line up with their evaluations, so he dropped to the Marlins in the 16th round and declined to sign. He has been phenomenal as a fourth-year junior and has a chance to win the NCAA Division I triple crown and lead in all three slash stats after finishing the regular season at .421/.531/.941 with 28 homers and 85 RBI in 54 games.

With the strength in his 6-foot-3, 225-pound frame and an uphill right-handed swing, Melendez is geared to drive balls in the air and produces plus-plus raw power that plays from foul pole to foul pole. He doesn't have standout bat speed, so there are some concerns about how he'll handle quality velocity against more advanced pitchers. He's doing a much better job of controlling the strike zone this spring and has improved his ability to do damage against breaking balls and changeups.

Melendez still doesn't offer much value beyond his bat and a righty-hitting first baseman is the least attractive profile for pro teams. He's a well below-average runner with limited range and an average arm. He's an adequate defender at first base and his only other alternative is DH.”

image.gif.72cd3693ffd867294497382c40c1d509.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

That is crazy. So Ivan comes back? 

fingerscrossed.gif 

13 hours ago, Fletch said:

He won’t be drafted particularly high. Even more than the perceived lack of defense and right handed first base, he will drop because of age. Teams don’t need to take him high to entice him with money since he likely won’t return to college.

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

That is crazy. So Ivan comes back? 

fingerscrossed.gif 

Drafted college seniors get absolutely fucked with signing bonuses because they have no leverage. Teams would usually draft seniors in rounds 6-10 and give them $5k or $6k bonuses, and use the money saved to entice younger players taken later in the draft. There’s no chance in hell Ivan comes back. He’s maxed out his college value.

33 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Probably no chance. He doesn’t gain any leverage by coming back and it’s another year outside a farm system. Just makes it harder for him to get to the show.

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Drafted college seniors get absolutely fucked with signing bonuses because they have no leverage. Teams would usually draft seniors in rounds 6-10 and give them $5k or $6k bonuses, and use the money saved to entice younger players taken later in the draft. There’s no chance in hell Ivan comes back. He’s maxed out his college value.

Yeah?  Well fuck you guys!

I think Ivan will surprise..MLB teams have seen Spencer Torkleson already in the pros.... compare those #’s.....ivan may have to settle for an underpay considering his leverage....but if he finds a spot in the bigs in 2 yrs he will get that FA clock started quickly

8 hours ago, Rholl said:

I think Ivan will surprise..MLB teams have seen Spencer Torkleson already in the pros.... compare those #’s.....ivan may have to settle for an underpay considering his leverage....but if he finds a spot in the bigs in 2 yrs he will get that FA clock started quickly

I agree but man, he could really use another season at Texas. I don’t think he’s ready yet

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Cairn Horn88 said:

Wish they’d present this award AFTER the CWS…it takes the players, especially Ivan’s, minds off the game today and places more pressure on him.  Don’t need this…imho.

It doesn’t matter. He’ll hit a 3 run bomb in the first and we’ll run away with this thing 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Wish they’d present this award AFTER the CWS…it takes the players, especially Ivan’s, minds off the game today and places more pressure on him.  Don’t need this…imho.

Or if you want to present it before the CWS, you had all week to do it....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Sounds like his head is in the right place. 

Also, learn me on the difference between the Dick Howser and Golden Spikes?

6 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Sounds like his head is in the right place. 

Also, learn me on the difference between the Dick Howser and Golden Spikes?

After a very quick google search, it appears that the only difference is the use of “amateur player” by one award and “college player” by the other. 

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Ivan not care for puny award. Ivan hit ball. Win big trophy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Horny Bull said:

After a very quick google search, it appears that the only difference is the use of “amateur player” by one award and “college player” by the other. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dick Howser Award is college (NCBWA) and Golden Spikes is amateur (MLBPA).

Thanks. Not sure it matters anyways as I imagine he wins both.