John Hinckley Jr. Receiving Unconditional Release on June 15

atomheartbevo

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-hinckley-jr-unconditional-release-june-15-ronald-reagan-shooter/

John Hinckley Jr., the man who shot and nearly killed President Ronald Reagan in 1981, is set to be unconditionally released from court-ordered psychiatric supervision on June 15, after federal prosecutors, mental health professionals and Hinckley's legal team told a judge on Wednesday that they have no concerns about his mental state.

Hinckley, now 67, shot at Reagan as the president was exiting a Washington hotel on March 30, 1981, puncturing a lung and causing severe internal bleeding. Three others were also wounded. Hinckley was found not guilty by reason of insanity in 1982, and remained hospitalized until 2006. He was allowed to live with his mother in 2016.

In September 2021, the court approved an agreement by prosecutors and Hinckley's defense team that would allow his release in June if he complied with certain conditions. A judge in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia held a hearing on Wednesday to ensure the agreement remained intact.

In a status report for the court last month, the U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia wrote that Hinckley "has recovered his sanity such that he does not present a danger to himself or others because of mental illness if unconditionally released on June 15, 2022."

The White House released a statement from President Biden: "Jill and I want the American public to know that we have faith in the judicial system's decision to release Mr. Hinckley. We know that strugglers with mental health are all too real for many millions of Americans and that Mr Hinckley's actions in 1981 were a plea for help. As friends of President Reagan and his family, we have watched this story very closely.

"As we seek to improve access to mental healthcare in this country for all Americans, we appreciate those mental health professionals who have assisted Mr. Hinckley in reaching this milestone, and we bear no grudge against him. We also wanted Mr. Hinckley to know that Vladimir Putin is fucking Jodie Foster, and we can provide him with a plane ticket to anywhere in Europe."

This is one of those things that is...not quite a footnote, but relatively unknown amongst the younger crowd.  I can remember when it happened (or rather remember one image - that of a Secret Service agent with an Uzi) A few years ago I caught a special on it, that mentioned that Reagan damn near died - literally something like the Secret Service agent was taking him back to the White House, and they realized he was bleeding out and hauled ass to the hospital instead, saving his life by mere minutes. They didn't reveal that information at the time.

Patti Davis released a statement/oped last fall making it clear she didn't agree with it, and I can understand - her dad damn near died, and there's a lot of speculation that it caused him problems for a very long time after.

• Haha 1

If authorities feel that he isn't a danger to himself or others, then I don't have a problem with his release. Important to remember that he wasn't found guilty. We're a nation of laws.

Patti Davis should argue that Hinckley should never be released but there is a reason that we do not allow crime victims decide the penalty.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If authorities feel that he isn't a danger to himself or others, then I don't have a problem with his release. Important to remember that he wasn't found guilty. We're a nation of laws.

Patti Davis should argue that Hinckley should never be released but there is a reason that we do not allow crime victims decide the penalty.

Yep.  This seems to be a textbook example of how not guilty by reason of insanity is supposed to work.

Of course, one reason it worked is probably that Hinckley is from a family with means.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Seeing those pics always made me wonder how Dr Phil went from such a badass to sniveling faux tv therapist 

I swear that guy was a character on Barney Miller.  Like he was a background character - actor portraying one of the cops in the precinct, then heard that Barney Miller was ending in '82, so he bailed for the Secret Service.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Yep.  This seems to be a textbook example of how not guilty by reason of insanity is supposed to work.

Of course, one reason it worked is probably that Hinckley is from a family with means.

Between high quality, consistent legal representation and that his mother could give him a "good" environment for his past release conditions, it definitely helps that his family has money. He almost assuredly wouldn't be released if he would be living on the streets.

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-hinckley-jr-unconditional-release-june-15-ronald-reagan-shooter/

This is one of those things that is...not quite a footnote, but relatively unknown amongst the younger crowd.  I can remember when it happened (or rather remember one image - that of a Secret Service agent with an Uzi) A few years ago I caught a special on it, that mentioned that Reagan damn near died - literally something like the Secret Service agent was taking him back to the White House, and they realized he was bleeding out and hauled ass to the hospital instead, saving his life by mere minutes. They didn't reveal that information at the time.

Patti Davis released a statement/oped last fall making it clear she didn't agree with it, and I can understand - her dad damn near died, and there's a lot of speculation that it caused him problems for a very long time after.

Hinkley has had some of the most closely monitored and comprehensive mental health care of any individual in this country. Most mental health experts agreed by 2004-2005 he was not a danger to himself, society, or the Reagan's.  His mother has had to fight tooth and nail to get him even limited, supervised, monitored visits because the Reagan's, specifically Nancy, have tried to keep him locked up. It has been an unspoken policy for DOJ to oppose his release as long as Nancy was alive.  Following her death, the Government has been far less aggressive in opposing his release, and a few months after her funeral, the Court released him with restrictions.  The current release just completes that process. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

A few years ago I caught a special on it, that mentioned that Reagan damn near died - literally something like the Secret Service agent was taking him back to the White House, and they realized he was bleeding out and hauled ass to the hospital instead, saving his life by mere minutes. They didn't reveal that information at the time.

My recollection is that he thought the pain in his side or chest was from being pushed into the limo so hard and landing on his side - maybe an agent landed on him too trying to cover him.

I think you are correct that it took some time for them to realize he’d been shot. 

22 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

My recollection is that he thought the pain in his side or chest was from being pushed into the limo so hard and landing on his side - maybe an agent landed on him too trying to cover him.

I think you are correct that it took some time for them to realize he’d been shot. 

I think I read where one of the SS agents noticed frothy blood seeping from Reagan's mouth and immediately recognized that he'd been shot in the lungs. 

11 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I think I read where one of the SS agents noticed frothy blood seeping from Reagan's mouth and immediately recognized that he'd been shot in the lungs. 

The West Wing used that incident as inspiration.

He is a grandiose failure. Given a Highland Park upbringing and education the best he could do is flunk out of Texas Tech and fail at everything else. He should be thrown off an ocean going ship somewhere and forgotten.

HOT TAKE ALERT!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well, it’s a Take.

Newsflash: Mental Illness is Real. Schizophrenia doesn’t give a fuck where you are from or who your parents are.  It’s actually a miracle of modern science that Hinkley is able to re-enter society.   60 years ago, they would have electroshocked him into drooling submission, or performed a lobotomy.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Well, it’s a Take.

Newsflash: Mental Illness is Real. Schizophrenia doesn’t give a fuck where you are from or who your parents are.  It’s actually a miracle of modern science that Hinkley is able to re-enter society.   60 years ago, they would have electroshocked him into drooling submission, or performed a lobotomy.

He went to Tech. He's clearly a little fucked in the head.

I have a friend and business partner who went to Yale with Jodie Foster. He says she was pretty cool until Hinckley Jr started really, really making his presence felt. Absurdly, he says there were like 3 stalkers of hers and it eventually led to her becoming a recluse by the time the second semester of their freshman year came around. In the interim, according to my buddy, she and her roommate(s?) threw a party early in her time there in which, to gain entry, everyone had to drop their bottoms for a glimpse at the front door. 

20 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Yea I didn't really know of any of this shit other than Reagan was shot. Thanks surly 

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Wait, Reagan was shot?!?!

It also led to arguably some of the best Saturday Night Live skits ever (I always assumed it was based on Reagan's attempted assassination, based on the setup around him being shot).

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I was in 3rd or 4th grade.  Had to run an errand for teacher by taking message to another teacher in teacher's lounge.  I saw the report on TV.  I walk back in classroom and in true Surly fashion, " I delivered your note and by the way, the President just got shot."

She wanted to rip my ass, but I insisted that it was the truth. She goes to office and returns, announcing to class that Reagan had indeed been shot.

"Doubt me again"  is what I was thinking...  

I remember everyone wanting ole Ronnie to be OK, but it wasn't as big of a deal to us kids as one might think.  I do believe the teacher immediately went into"the Day JFK was shot" mode.  

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It was a pretty vivid thing to me as a kid (and later when I lived in Lubbock, I had a friend who supposedly lived in Hinckley's old dorm room at Texas Tech, but urban legends).

gettyimages-615298118.jpg_hZcAxoWVMKn33grN_gGUWMl-RkT5kDLvZqBw970

HWkYgX-ka44ljnY34U0efMY-wG73ZCnQdK9mX_OP

My dad was a SS agent, not on Reagan's PPD, but he was on PPD for a year each of Carter and Ford, this was back when SS agents were badasses.

Edited by jdhorn92

43 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The thing I remember most about that day was Al Haig calling a press conference to tell everyone that he was in control and thinking shit he must have forgotten about George.

It was a weird flex or attempt at a coup.   Or maybe he was coked out of his mind.  Al Haig, not Bush.   

Some memories from those around him

https://millercenter.org/issues-policy/the-first-year/the-attempted-reagan-assassination

13 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

It was less than an inch from his heart.   He lost around half his blood.   I saw an article a few years ago that mentioned he was hurt worse  than McKinley or Garfield, but they didn’t have modern medicine.

Crazy thing was that it was some kind of “exploding” bullet, but only the one that hit Brady exploded.  Had it exploded like the one that hit Brady, Reagan dies, Bush becomes President.  

On 6/2/2022 at 9:24 AM, Bateshorn said:

Hinkley has had some of the most closely monitored and comprehensive mental health care of any individual in this country. Most mental health experts agreed by 2004-2005 he was not a danger to himself, society, or the Reagan's.  His mother has had to fight tooth and nail to get him even limited, supervised, monitored visits because the Reagan's, specifically Nancy, have tried to keep him locked up. It has been an unspoken policy for DOJ to oppose his release as long as Nancy was alive.  Following her death, the Government has been far less aggressive in opposing his release, and a few months after her funeral, the Court released him with restrictions.  The current release just completes that process. 

We know that Nancy had a very notable power of persuasion.

• Haha 2