Liverpool FC 2022-2023: And Now Jurgen Believe Us

maninblack

Please go out and buy a midfielder. You might as well throw in the towel on the league if you don’t. If it’s a hammy, Thiago is out for multiple matches. Henderson is way past it. Keita wasn’t even in the squad today; Ox is hurt. Just not enough difference makers at the position.

Edited by Bodowned
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Did Keita have a knock? Just curious why he was completely omitted from the match. Also missing Curtis. 

It’s hard to believe Naby would be left out of the squad without a knock. Tried half-heartedly on Twitter to find something, but didn’t see anything. Our biggest issue with this standard MF we run is that there’s no ball carrier and there’s no pace. Fab is 28, Thiago is 31, and Hendo is 32 and it shows against teams that organize a rampant press. We don’t really have a way to progress the ball through dribbling (like Coutinho used to do…) whereas teams like City have players like KDB, Bernardo, Grealish, Foden, etc. who all generally excel on the ball. We really need somebody who can take on defenders and suck attention away from the forward line for a final pass. It also seems obvious that Henderson’s best role is as a 6, but that’s Fab’s position so we’re forcing him through as an 8. He’s just so slow now and seems to freak out and hoof the ball under any pressure.

Edited by Bodowned
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Bodowned said:

It’s hard to believe Naby would be left out of the squad without a knock. Tried half-heartedly on Twitter to find something, but didn’t see anything. Our biggest issue with this standard MF we run is that there’s no ball carrier and there’s no pace. Fab is 28, Thiago is 31, and Hendo is 32 and it shows against teams that organize a rampant press. We don’t really have a way to progress the ball through dribbling (like Coutinho used to do…) whereas teams like City have players like KDB, Bernardo, Grealish, Foden, etc. who all generally excel on the ball. We really need somebody who can take on defenders and suck attention away from the forward line for a final pass. It also seems obvious that Henderson’s best role is as a 6, but that’s Fab’s position so we’re forcing him through as an 8. He’s just so slow now and seems to freak out and hoof the ball under any pressure.

I dunno that he can play the 6 very well anymore. He had great energy in the Shield but he doesn’t have the pace anymore. To me he needs to be a guy that comes on at 55 or 60 when there’s a lead or we need to press high. 
I hope Fabio can be a midfield carrier. Maybe Harvey can but I think both probably lack the physicality we need there right now. Curtis and Naby I think are the only two guys we have who can successfully turn and take on a press.