Fantasy Football Watchlist

EvilCaseMcCoy

Trying to get a jumpstart on projecting the next Kareem Hunt I've started looking at the rookie RBs drafted and isolated the ones who were big enough to carry a heavy workload. 

1. Saquon Barkley - NYG - Should be a starter from day 1 but will also likely be a 2-3rd fantasy grab

2.  Rashaad Penny - SEA - The Seahawks said they drafted Penny to start.  They really don't have a lead dog so he'll prob get his shot.

3. Sony Michel - NE - I don't trust NE backfield.  No doubt he'll be involved but prob not at a significant enough level for fantasy value.

4. Nick Chubb - CLE - Likely splitting time with Hyde so not too excited about his rookie season.  I read that they are working on his pass protection and receiving out of the backfield.

5.  Ronald Jones - TB - Smaller, about 201lbs, but with the muscle hampster gone, he'll get a shot.  OTA reports say he's already impressing. 

6. Kerryon Johnson - DET - I'm not going down for picking up another DET running back.

7. Derrius Guice - WAS - It's been a revolving door in Washington.  He's third on the depth chart right now, behind Kelley and Perine. 

8. Royce Freeman - DEN - Seems like the most likely sleeper on paper.  Big back, 6-0, 229 and is slated to compete for the starting job right away.

9. Kalen Ballage - MIA - Kenyon looked pretty good toward the end of last year.  My gut tells me he'll be the lead back again, so not too excited about this one either.

My targets as of now are in bold.  What say ye?

• 1 month later...

Glancing through the FF mags hitting the shelves.  Some of them have mock drafts.

How does an arbitrary( free of the specific tendencies/ needs  of your league’s owners) chart  help anyone?

Willing to learn, but it doesn’t make sense to me.  It seems like rolling a pair of dice 10 times and then acting as if that’s what will happen at the table when you walk up.

Edited by slorch

6 minutes ago, slorch said:

Glancing through the FF mags hitting the shelves.  Some of them have mock drafts.

How does an arbitrary( free of the specific tendencies/ needs  of your league’s owners) chart  help anyone?

Willing to learn, but it doesn’t make sense to me.  It seems like rolling a pair of dice 10 times and then acting as if that’s what will happen at the table when you walk up.

Gives you a starting point. Most people have been out of the game for over half a year at this point, so a rough framework helps as you slowly develop your own preferences for that year.

I like your target list for redraft fantasy.  But i’d take out Jones and put in Kerryon as targets.  I know the Bucs drafted him highly and they plan on using him, but he’s light, so he won’t be their goal line back, and was used sparingly as receiver in college.  

Johnson was drafted highly and he’s more built to be 3 down back. 

I play mostly dynasty now.  Anybody else play that here?  

Guice, IMO, depends on your opinion of him as an NFL player.  I, personally, don't think he's a significant talent so don't expect much. However, if you think Guice is underrated then he should be a target because the other WASH backs are journeymen and if he's clearly better he'll get the bulk of work.

On 7/17/2018 at 11:29 AM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Another guy who stands out to me is good ole Mark Ingram.

He's currently the 38th Non-PPR RB listed

However, he's had 1000+ yards and 10+ total touchdowns in each of his last 2 seasons. 

You might get him on the cheap with his looming 4 game suspension, but I'll take "2nd position" players on great offenses anytime.

Kamara is a the #1 RB for New Orleans, but he also missed time with the concussion towards the end of the fantasy season last year.

There are plenty of RBs with more value, but I would consider Ingram late 2nd/ early 3rd material.  If you hold out for him to keep dropping, it might be worth the gamble.  In my league, some of the players depend heavily on the rankings/ ADP lists, so SOMEBODY is going to take him just because the list says so.  Then they're gonna say, "Hey, this guy is supended for 4 games."

"Really?"

Rookie RB thoughts: I have Guice the clear #2 RB on the rookie board. He is far more talented than Perine and Thompson is a satellite back. His fall on draft day was ridiculous. 

Rashad Penny would be #3, despite the early reports that Chris Carson will start the season at #1. 

I’m a bit more concerned with Devontae Booker splitting reps with Royce Freeman in Denver. They might use Freeman more around the goal line initially, with Booker getting the initial #1 job. 

Ronald Jones should get opportunities but he is really not built to be a workhorse. 

Kerryon Johnson has a great opportunity with two average players ahead of him. If he shows well in preseason, watch his ADP rise. I took him in a Dynasty draft.

Sony Michel is too expensive in my opinion. You really can’t trust the NE backfield. 

Kalen Balage is not a great talent, so I would probably avoid him. 

Chubb is probably the #3 player based on talent alone, but his backfield is crowded, so he might not produce much early. Duke Johnson is criminally underrated and underutilized in Cleveland. I am not a huge Hyde fan, but he is the clear #1 to start the season, and Hugh Jackson is a dipshit, so Chubb might not get off the bench for a few games.

I play more Dynasty these days, but these would hold true for redraft as well. Preseason however, could change the ADP significantly. 

On 7/17/2018 at 12:17 PM, joeycovers said:

Thoughts on McKinnon? Never been a fan of his but he is getting tons of love. 

I held Mckinnon for years, always hoping he’d get the chance. His athletic profile is elite. That said, he is being overhyped right now, and his price is really high. And he didn’t really take the job by storm in Minny. Buyer beware. 

On 7/27/2018 at 9:18 AM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Interesting.  I feel the same way about the Redkins backfield as I do about NE.  They get a new guy every year and none of them seem to pan out in the long run.

Washington has not had a great fantasy RB really since Alfred Morris’ rookie season. But I like Guice from a talent standpoint, and he is by far the most talented RB they have had in years. 

I am starting to think Kerryon Johnson might be a bit underrated. 

I’ve been playing for a long time and last year was my best year ever. Won 3/6 leagues and came in 2nd in another. However, I’m just not into it this year. Have signed up for zero leagues. I’m not sure what it is. NFL bullshit, don’t think I can match last year, not willing to put in the effort required to be elite. Not sure. I think I’m just burnt out and will probably take the year off.

4 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

What is the scoop with Derrick Henry in TN? I wanted to target him as my RB2 in my big league all off-season but I heard he may split carries?

He is the #1 RB but will share some carries with Dion Lewis. Henry will be the goal line back. Lewis is more change of pace/3rd down back. I think Henry could have a good year, but some are concerned with Dion Lewis. It looks like a committee but Henry is capable of being a workhorse and the Titans love to run the ball. I like Henry, the guy is a beast.

• Like 1

I need some help with guys I'm going to target in my auction draft. It's PPR + 10 pt RuRe TD. I will have L. Bell as a keeper. 

I need a stud WR1, I need a RB2 to target, and I need some sleeper $1 type players. 

I expect the following to be kept: A Brown, D Hopkins, M Thomas, McCaffery or OBJ, Zeke, M Gordon, L McCoy, Kamara, Gurley, J Jones

My initial thought is to target Keenan Allen as my WR1. Low TD total last year, should rebound, and tons of targets. I don't really see anyone else viable as a true WR1. 

RB2 I would love to land Saquon but I think he'll go for more than I've budgeted here. Thinking Fournette or I like Dalvin Cook a lot, and he might be a bit cheaper. I want to see if he plays next week, though. 

What about sleepers/rookies that might be afterthoughts and go for a buck? I'm looking at guys like Cam Meredith, Josh Doctson, Amendola, Geronimo Allison, etc. 

Not sure about WR1, but Marquis Goodwin is looking at a big year with a full season of Garappolo at QB. A lot of sites still have him ranked in that 25-35 range, which seems low for a guy that had close to 1000 yds last season and an offense you know is going to throw a lot more.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Not sure about WR1, but Marquis Goodwin is looking at a big year with a full season of Garappolo at QB. A lot of sites still have him ranked in that 25-35 range, which seems low for a guy that had close to 1000 yds last season and an offense you know is going to throw a lot more.

I have him on my list, too.

Technically my WR2 and 3 (it's WR/TE start 3) are Larry Fitz and Jimmy Graham but Goodwin is a plan B guy. 

I’m still a little apprehensive, but I agree. I think the Garappolo Effect will be strong with him.

What's the word on David Johnson?  I have the #4 pick in a 12 player leagues that's .5 ppr.  I know the cardinals have some issues on offense so I'm hesitant to pick him with coming off an injury along with the cardinal woes.  I expect Bell, Gurley, and Elliot to be picked ahead of me.  Should I skip Johnson and go with a safe bet like Antonio Brown?  Lots of great choices at #4 with Hunt, Brown, Julio, Fornette, Johnson.  Not sure who to pick.

On 8/18/2018 at 9:14 PM, Baboontyme said:

What about sleepers/rookies that might be afterthoughts and go for a buck? I'm looking at guys like Cam Meredith, Josh Doctson, Amendola, Geronimo Allison, etc. 

Juju...maybe not a buck, but could pull off something cheap on him

Edited by Scraps

On 8/22/2018 at 9:17 AM, victory88 said:

What's the word on David Johnson?  I have the #4 pick in a 12 player leagues that's .5 ppr.  I know the cardinals have some issues on offense so I'm hesitant to pick him with coming off an injury along with the cardinal woes.  I expect Bell, Gurley, and Elliot to be picked ahead of me.  Should I skip Johnson and go with a safe bet like Antonio Brown?  Lots of great choices at #4 with Hunt, Brown, Julio, Fornette, Johnson.  Not sure who to pick.

In a similar situation at the 5 spot but I am more worried about Barkley vs Bryant considering the Rbs that come back to me in the mock are shit. 

I like them both. It depends how deep your league is. I missed out on both for very low $ amounts in my auction and I would rather have them than the guys I got for cheap (Marquise Lee, Alshon Jeffrey, etc)

I did ok in the auction draft. I got trapped a bit and had to go for guys I wasn't super gung ho on. The craziness of the auction. I was targeting Fournette, Barkley, or Dalvin Cook as my RB2 with a max bid somewhere in the low 50s (total budget 200). That's the crazy thing about the auction is it's totally unpredictable. Those guys went for 61, 60 and 55. Fuck that. Pass. I wound up with Jordan Howard for 45. Which SHOULD have left me with enough to get Keenan Allen, my #1 WR target. But I pussed out again when he was going in the mid 50s because I had him projected for mid 40s. So instead I realized the only top WR on the board after that was AJ Green, who I don't really like and had to go balls out for him and wound up getting him for 62. Utterly ridiculous but needed a top WR. Sigh. 

Anyways, that's the auction draft. I know no one cares and I'm not asking for a grade but just for fun, this is how it went for me. I'm B minus on my squad. (Bell was a keeper for 35)

Cam Newton  $ 15
Dak Prescott  $ 1

Le'Veon Bell  $ 35
Jordan Howard  $ 45
Corey Clement  $ 3
James Conner  $ 2

A.J. Green  $ 62
Sterling Shepard  $ 5
Marqise Lee  $ 1
Marquise Goodwin  $ 13
Alshon Jeffery  $ 7
Will Fuller  $ 7
Jordan Akins  $ 1

Jake Elliott  $ 2

Pittsburgh Steelers  $ 1

why in the fuck did you get leveon Bell for $35?

I mean, great for you; but what am I missing?

Also, that $7 for Jeffrey is the best money you spent... unless one of your $1 dudes hits.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

why in the fuck did you get leveon Bell for $35?

I mean, great for you; but what am I missing?

Also, that $7 for Jeffrey is the best money you spent... unless one of your $1 dudes hits.

You can keep one player. The first year you keep him it costs $35. Each subsequent year is an additional $5. 

It looks like Lee won't be a guy I hit on. 

On 8/18/2018 at 7:14 PM, Baboontyme said:

Chris Godwin - Tampa Bay WR - reports calling him they “1A” behind Evans.

George Kittle - SF TE - injury hurt his fantasy stock, but could be back week 1.

Brandon Marshall - SEA WR - Jimmy Graham, Luke Wilson, Paul Richardson are all gone. Wilson should throw 30-35 TD’s and someone besides Baldwin & Lockett has to catch some.  

Corey Davis - TEN WR - not a sleeper, more of a mid-round breakout candidate if Mariota and the new TEN offense improves.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Chris Godwin - Tampa Bay WR - reports calling him they “1A” behind Evans.

George Kittle - SF TE - injury hurt his fantasy stock, but could be back week 1.

Brandon Marshall - SEA WR - Jimmy Graham, Luke Wilson, Paul Richardson are all gone. Wilson should throw 30-35 TD’s and someone besides Baldwin & Lockett has to catch some.  

Corey Davis - TEN WR - not a sleeper, more of a mid-round breakout candidate if Mariota and the new TEN offense improves.

I had Godwin on my list. Didn't list Davis, he's a pretty well known commodity around here since he went to WMU. I try to avoid guys who have local affiliations or that play for the Lions because their auction values are always over inflated. I do like Davis, though. He has a ton of talent. 

Some of the guys on my list (that I left at home, like an idiot) were Cam Meredith, Josh Doctson, Amendola, Calvin Ridley, Gallup, Jaron Brown, John Brown, Jordan Akins, Sterling Shepard (I think he's going to have a big year), Jordan Akins. 

The main problem with my roster is we start 3 WR/TE and I have 1 WR1 and a bunch of WR3s. I think Goodwin will play himself into a WR2. And yeah if Jeffery gets healthy and doesn't go on PUP, he's a solid WR2. 

On 8/27/2018 at 8:25 AM, EZ$ said:

#1 pick in a PPR (1point). I’m leaning towards Gurley over Bell. Any reason I should go with Bell?  I like Gurley and the Rams overall being younger. 

They are both absolute studs so I’d just go with the guy you like better.

i had my draft tonight. 12-team 0.5 PPR redraft.  Standard flex roster-  1/2/2/TE/flex/K/Def.  Auction $200 budget.

QB - Cam

WR - Keenan Allen, Juju, Chris Hogan, Marquise Goodwin, Kenny Stills

RB - Dalvin Cook, Kenyan Drake, Gio Bernard, Isaiah Crowell, Austin Ekeler

TE- Ertz

K - Vinateri 

DEF - Giants (they’re playing JAX week 1)

There was a lot of spending at the top, and then a lot of mid round guys going for cheap. QB’S went for dirt cheap.  I wasn’t really targeting Cam but got him for $5.  I like my WR’s a lot.  Not sure about my RB’s.  I didn’t get one of the top 6 and ended up settling for Dalvin.

Just had my 12 team .5 ppr draft

QB- Cam

WR:  Tyreek Hill, Amari Cooper, Marquise Goodwin, Robby Anderson, Christian Kirk

RB:  Ezekiel Elliot, Jay Ajayi, Gio Bernard, Peyton Barber, Bilal Powell

TE: Evan Engram

K:  Tucker

Def:  Baltimore

I thought I did decent in the draft but I'm projected to finish 2nd to last hah!  

6 hours ago, victory88 said:

Just had my 12 team .5 ppr draft

QB- Cam

WR:  Tyreek Hill, Amari Cooper, Marquise Goodwin, Robby Anderson, Christian Kirk

RB:  Ezekiel Elliot, Jay Ajayi, Gio Bernard, Peyton Barber, Bilal Powell

TE: Evan Engram

K:  Tucker

Def:  Baltimore

I thought I did decent in the draft but I'm projected to finish 2nd to last hah!  

Yeah, I'm struggling to figure out who you took with your 2nd pick. Guessing that you might have taken Cam way too early.

15 hours ago, lonestar3 said:

Yeah, I'm struggling to figure out who you took with your 2nd pick. Guessing that you might have taken Cam way too early.

Elliot

Hill

Cooper

Cam

Ajayi

Devonta Freeman was the next RB on the board and I'm not too big on him with Coleman stealing caries.  I really like Hill's big play ability so loaded up on 2 WRs in back to back rounds.  Midway through the 2nd, all the decent RBs were taken.

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Elliot

Hill

Cooper

Cam

Ajayi

Devonta Freeman was the next RB on the board and I'm not too big on him with Coleman stealing caries.  I really like Hill's big play ability so loaded up on 2 WRs in back to back rounds.  Midway through the 2nd, all the decent RBs were taken.

Gotcha. Hill might be a boom player this year with Mahomes slinging it downfield. I'd have probably gone for someone a little less boom/bust than Cooper for my 2nd WR.

Had an 8 team PPR League. 400 a team. Had the 7th pick.

QB: Mahomes, Garoppolo 

RB: Kamara, Barkley, Royce Freeman, Dion Lewis, Adrian Peterson, Rashaad Penny, Marlon Mack

WR: Julio, Evans, Amari Cooper, Landry, Edelman

TE: Burton, Engram

D/ST: Bailey and Houston

thoughts?