Chelsea 2022-2023: America... fuck yeah?

ztejas

Surely planning to buy him outright this summer?

Edit: just read there is no option to buy, which makes 11 million + full salary for 5 months seems odd.  Especially when Felix and Simeone reportedly hate each other.  I hope this is a long-term player for us.

Edited by TexArcher

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is easily the worst Chelsea has been in the short time I've been following. 

They've been my team for a decade and the only thing close is the 15-16 season.  That was Mourinho's 3rd season, which is where he always blows up.  Huddink came in and righted the ship in the spring to keep us mid table, but that was an ugly fall.  Fortunately, we had the 14-15 championship season, so there was still some goodwill we were living off of.  I have no idea where we go from here, but fortunately we have enough results so far this year and will fall into enough this spring to keep us from sweating relegation.  Just get the young guys some good experience and regroup this summer.

Seeing Willian out there made me revisit my favorite team, the 16-17 edition.  Man, I loved that team.  Just full of fun players all over the pitch.  Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Fabregas, Alonso, Moses, Costa, Matic, Kante, Azpi, Luiz, Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry (in his swan song).  Incredible team.  

If you asked me at the start of the season where Chelsea was strongest, I would have said in attacking mid/wings.

And that was reinforced during the World Cup with how Ziyech and Pulisic performed.

But that seems to be all Boehly and company care about addressing. We now will have Pulisic, Ziyech, Sterling, Mount, Felix, Murdyk. You could arguably even add Havertz and Nkunku to the list, as they are more in the mold of a second striker/false 9. Yes I get that some are injured right now.

Meanwhile our midfield and defense continues to be woeful under Potter, with no spatter apparent reinforcements on the horizon...

3 hours ago, APMP said:

If you asked me at the start of the season where Chelsea was strongest, I would have said in attacking mid/wings.

And that was reinforced during the World Cup with how Ziyech and Pulisic performed.

But that seems to be all Boehly and company care about addressing. We now will have Pulisic, Ziyech, Sterling, Mount, Felix, Murdyk. You could arguably even add Havertz and Nkunku to the list, as they are more in the mold of a second striker/false 9. Yes I get that some are injured right now.

Meanwhile our midfield and defense continues to be woeful under Potter, with no spatter apparent reinforcements on the horizon...

Been thinking about this and I'm convinced we think between Fofana, Chalobah, Badiashile you have 1 or 2 CMs. Reece James is your future RB, Cucu needs to win LB but Hall has looked good. 

I'm convinced with the lack of movement other than a loan for Zaka that we are waiting for Rice this summer.

We still need that creative MF and that's where Enzo was chatted about. Not sure who the back up plan is. 

I think Ziyech is auditioning for his next team. Felix is a stop gap unless he blows up. Mount isn't going anywhere and Pulisic was probably on his way out prior to the injury.

Alright lots of noise from all sorts of angles right now.

GK - I think Mendy will wander away this summer, Kepa has been too good.

Def - Rumors of Dave on his way this summer. Suggestions that Kouli could be out for the right price as well. Injured and not going anywhere - James/Fofana/Chilwell. New Badiashile. Chalobah seems a rotational player. Cucu needs to step up the defensive side of his game. I think Hall has found a spot on the squad. Silva can stay as long as he wants.  You have Colwill on loan as well.

MF - Jorg is apparently out after this season on a free. Newcastle are interested in Ziyech, RLC and Gallagher. Zakaria is off on Loan. That leaves Kante who is apparently still keen on staying around. Kovacic who feels like he is on the tail end of his time here. Mount and Chukwuemeka won't be moved. 

Right Wing - Talked about Ziyech above. Felix is a loan with uncertain future. Havertz is apparently being linked to Bayern Munich. CHO obviously is without a spot left.

Left Wing - Sterling, Mudryk and Pulisic... I think Puli might be on his way out. Sterling has been alright, but certainly not amazing. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out with Puli's injury.

CF - Auba is apparently being linked back to Barca or potentially elsewhere. D.D. Fofana and Broja are very much depth. Kai mentioned above. Nkunku is the future here.

This team is going to look drastically different next season. Hope it's for the better.

Alright lots of noise from all sorts of angles right now.
GK - I think Mendy will wander away this summer, Kepa has been too good.
Def - Rumors of Dave on his way this summer. Suggestions that Kouli could be out for the right price as well. Injured and not going anywhere - James/Fofana/Chilwell. New Badiashile. Chalobah seems a rotational player. Cucu needs to step up the defensive side of his game. I think Hall has found a spot on the squad. Silva can stay as long as he wants.  You have Colwill on loan as well.
MF - Jorg is apparently out after this season on a free. Newcastle are interested in Ziyech, RLC and Gallagher. Zakaria is off on Loan. That leaves Kante who is apparently still keen on staying around. Kovacic who feels like he is on the tail end of his time here. Mount and Chukwuemeka won't be moved. 
Right Wing - Talked about Ziyech above. Felix is a loan with uncertain future. Havertz is apparently being linked to Bayern Munich. CHO obviously is without a spot left.
Left Wing - Sterling, Mudryk and Pulisic... I think Puli might be on his way out. Sterling has been alright, but certainly not amazing. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out with Puli's injury.
CF - Auba is apparently being linked back to Barca or potentially elsewhere. D.D. Fofana and Broja are very much depth. Kai mentioned above. Nkunku is the future here.
This team is going to look drastically different next season. Hope it's for the better.
Nkunku is fantastic, and hopefully will be back at that level post injury. But he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that plays as the #9 tip of the spear, but rather in one of the 3 spots behind that #9. Modern tactics are fluid though, so who the hell knows.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, MoJames said:

Easily the most expensive club in the world after this, correct?

At least for the time being. I'd assume some guys get sold. 

Looks like City is in the same neighborhood then a big drop to #3.

Edited by ztejas

41 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

I’m sure he’ll be a real ray of sunshine in training 

Ziyech & Pulisic can play “Keep (the ball) Up” off on a side field after marking off that day on their calendars counting down the days until their next payday as the January signings race around the training ground with the players who will be in the squad for the next match. 

image.gif.75dbf1340c9e3bc143d2cbc387be7026.gif