Chelsea 2022-2023: America... fuck yeah?

ztejas

I think it's way to fucking early to be saying anything about the season. We are 3 games in. Leeds is a good team that will tail off as the season progresses because of how they play. We will be fine.

On an aside, we are apparently close to buying Auba from Barca for 20-30m Euros. This in essence will allow Barca to register Kounde. I hope hope hope, we step away from this at the last minute to fuck Barca. I doubt we will, but how fun would it be to drag out these talks only to walk away at the end with Barca unable to register a player we were after.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Devil's advocate: had we not been ass fucked out of two points against Spurs, would we be freaking out?  Leeds might be a top-half-of-the-table side and it was a road match.  Tuchel won a Champions League and went deep in another.  We were in both domestic cup finals last year and finished 3rd and we had roster issues then, too.  If we had 6 points on the table instead of 4 right now, would anyone be questioning Tuchel?

I'm not making a statement here.  But these seem like fair questions?

We got unlucky against Tottenham but we also needed a pen to beat a shitass Everton team. Leeds is scrappy but we shouldn't be losing 3-0 to them regardless of who's playing in the midfield. 

And I'm not basing my current impressions on results, anyway. It's mainly looking at the roster and moves we're making and watching these guys play together. I don't think it's going to fix itself and I'm concerned that TT has taken it in some weird direction that's going to be difficult to reset and back out of. 

Let's see where the end of the window leaves us. Just not sure we're moving in the right direction after having a really promising start to last season. 

14 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Very reasonable. Carabao Cup away at Man City on 8 November is not so pretty. But clearly a much lesser cup.

Yeah I almost hope we drop out of the Carabao at that point.

Looks like we are going to eventually get Fofana.

Yeah, Leicester is bad at football.  At no point did it feel like Chelsea were playing a man down.  Leicester did put Vardy behind our back line twice, but he shanked them both.  

As for takeaways, we put ourselves in a really bad spot, but fortunately it was against a team so bad that we got away with it.  I don't think there's any other conclusion to draw from this one.  Still a fair amount of question marks.

So...  A pessimist might say that this looks like a 5th or 6th place side.  An optimist might say that we really ought to have 9 points from 4 matches and help is probably coming very soon for the goal scoring threat and the back line, and thus we could finish as high as 3rd.  I think either could be right, and a ceiling of 3rd and a floor of 6th sounds about right.  Maybe we can win a domestic cup trophy or something.

Edited by TexArcher

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Just saw the highlights, Dave "clearing" that corner for the first goal was just awful.

Second goal, Jorg and RLC offer no defense what so ever in front of the back 3. Just awful.

Eh. Handing them a corner wasn't optimal but he was in a dangerous spot. I understand why he did it. 

The main issue was no one within 5 yards of Lavia. I think Mount was supposed to be up there. At least someone in hi vicinity.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Eh. Handing them a corner wasn't optimal but he was in a dangerous spot. I understand why he did it. 

The main issue was no one within 5 yards of Lavia. I think Mount was supposed to be up there. At least someone in hi vicinity.

Nah, first rule of clearing corners is outside and not the top of the box. Watch Dave's reaction. That was poor.

23 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Alonso for Auba looks to be happening. Any help we can get up front is needed at this point, although he will be a short term band aid for us.

And he will be out for a month or two, so who knows we might not see him until after the world cup.

I can't remember the last time I saw as many names getting thrown around this close to deadline day.

Auba, Gvardiol, Ronnie Edwards, Zaha, Leao, Edson Alvarez, Sangare...

23 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't know if this says more about these two or just everything that is going on around them. 

Maybe it's the terrible fucking haircuts.

That is fucking astonishing.

I still have quite a bit of faith in Mount to regain his form.

And I'm sure Kai will be a good dad or something.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

That is fucking astonishing.

I still have quite a bit of faith in Mount to regain his form.

And I'm sure Kai will be a good dad or something.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen 2 transfers that I thought would work more perfect for Liverpool than Werner and Havertz (I’m not trash talking, just shocked at how far below their best they’ve been in the prem).  Bundesliga tax is proving real the last couple of years. Can’t believe Havertz hasn’t found that next gear since the CL final. 

• ztejas changed the title to Chelsea 2022-2023: America... fuck yeah?